daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4861
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Alloy View Post
I've been thinking about compiling a Vanhenrik-English dictionary.
hahaha! plz do!

Im getting guilt trips about BDs accounts being spread all over the net...
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #4862
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

30/July/2007

Burj Dubai update

Burj Dubai , lake test

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #4863
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2

Seven levels on cladding now. Great stuff, Imre!

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #4864
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
ok end way is meney here say it isn`t right !
end one of them is bikes on http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/

if i say like this i hope you are right !
He would say that....it seems he classes my website as a rival...which it isn't.

Many people seem to be jealous that my Epenis is bigger than theirs....it's just stupid.

Just ask yourself which website is for profit and which one is a news scoop information site?

I don't see any pay per click adverts on my site do you?
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #4865
sankibez

Likes (Received): 0

The one-time world's tallest mast

Hello again! As I promised, here's some trivia on it.

1) Located in central Poland

2) Under construction between 1970 and 1974

3) Its weight - 420 tons+the pressure of the side-ropes upon the base of the structure, which amounts to 1100 tons in total

4) At its base there were 3 insulators, 2m in height each

5) On 2nd February 1988 an abrupt thaw caused huge icicles to fall of the structure, some of which being the size of telegraph poles. Partial destruction of the electrical equipment below resulting in a 30 hour halt of transmission

6) On 13th July (Friday) 1984 a severe storm; the lightning perforates a 2 by 1m resistance coil (some of the holes as big as a man's fist)

7) 30min trip from bottom to top (lift), 2h+ ordeal 'on foot' (I'd still like it,though) In winter, temperature going below -20C now and then

8) The transmitter-120 kW

9) 50 mm steel side-ropes (5 levels, 3 ropes each)

10) 8th August 1991 the mast collapses. The Most likely scenario:

A) Some of the side-ropes swapped for temporary ones (due to the construction's overhaul)
B) 2 months into the works one of the makeshift ropes slips/tears out of its anchoring, causing some ultra-heavy 'used-to-be-equipment-now-projectile' to travel in air 150m
C) the makeshift rope below snaps
D) the upper part of the mast snaps
E) the falling piece smacks the lower structure

A, B, C, D, E = gigantic domino sequence in less than 12-13 secs

11) Under close inspection by the 'structural coroners' reveal some steel parts had reached the temperature of several hundreds degrees C, due to friction. Some reported to have had 'blow-torch-like marks'

12) The rumble heard within a couple of dozen kms. The eye-witnesses compare it to 'fllying-over-head-jet-plane-experience'

13) Prior to the disaster the main engineer on-site alerted the authorities to the 'ski-like shape' of the upper tier; steps were taken to fix it. Yet, some 'deep-structural-cracks' might've gone by unnoticed

Extra piece of trivia: a group of six workers were already on their way to start maintenance job on the mast, but the engineer (some year later he was interviewed by TV) told them to put it off till the morning of the next day (at 8 p.m. it would start getting dark, making it difficult to move on with work). The workers were eager to please and called it a day. Some minutes later (at 7.10 p.m.) the man's tallest construction ever was... NO MORE...

If You had some questions, I'd be glad to answer them. Cheers!
sankibez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #4866
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Thanks a lot Imre for these nice pictures!!

They test the lake!!!!!!!!
Oh man the future for the BD and lake looks ever brighter

BTW i will mis the nude BD. Was kinda sexy though
"She" has now got a pants, a hot pants to be preceise

Cheers
Old July 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #4867
Old Town Resident
Sunny Intervals.

Likes (Received): 321

Thanks Twickline
Old Town Resident no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #4868
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3395

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankibez View Post
Hello again! As I promised, here's some trivia on it.

1) Located in central Poland

2) Under construction between 1970 and 1974

3) Its weight - 420 tons+the pressure of the side-ropes upon the base of the structure, which amounts to 1100 tons in total

4) At its base there were 3 insulators, 2m in height each

5) On 2nd February 1988 an abrupt thaw caused huge icicles to fall of the structure, some of which being the size of telegraph poles. Partial destruction of the electrical equipment below resulting in a 30 hour halt of transmission

6) On 13th July (Friday) 1984 a severe storm; the lightning perforates a 2 by 1m resistance coil (some of the holes as big as a man's fist)

7) 30min trip from bottom to top (lift), 2h+ ordeal 'on foot' (I'd still like it,though) In winter, temperature going below -20C now and then

8) The transmitter-120 kW

9) 50 mm steel side-ropes (5 levels, 3 ropes each)

10) 8th August 1991 the mast collapses. The Most likely scenario:

A) Some of the side-ropes swapped for temporary ones (due to the construction's overhaul)
B) 2 months into the works one of the makeshift ropes slips/tears out of its anchoring, causing some ultra-heavy 'used-to-be-equipment-now-projectile' to travel in air 150m
C) the makeshift rope below snaps
D) the upper part of the mast snaps
E) the falling piece smacks the lower structure

A, B, C, D, E = gigantic domino sequence in less than 12-13 secs

11) Under close inspection by the 'structural coroners' reveal some steel parts had reached the temperature of several hundreds degrees C, due to friction. Some reported to have had 'blow-torch-like marks'

12) The rumble heard within a couple of dozen kms. The eye-witnesses compare it to 'fllying-over-head-jet-plane-experience'

13) Prior to the disaster the main engineer on-site alerted the authorities to the 'ski-like shape' of the upper tier; steps were taken to fix it. Yet, some 'deep-structural-cracks' might've gone by unnoticed

Extra piece of trivia: a group of six workers were already on their way to start maintenance job on the mast, but the engineer (some year later he was interviewed by TV) told them to put it off till the morning of the next day (at 8 p.m. it would start getting dark, making it difficult to move on with work). The workers were eager to please and called it a day. Some minutes later (at 7.10 p.m.) the man's tallest construction ever was... NO MORE...

If You had some questions, I'd be glad to answer them. Cheers!
Thanks for the informations.

I was in Warsaw in June and i would have visited this tower for sure if it would still stand. Nearly 650m. That`s really really tall.

Near the place where i live stands the 2nd and the 3rd tallest structure in Germany. The 2 towers are over 360m tall. Even if you put one of the tower on top of the other there would be still 100m missing before they would reach the height of the Burj Dubai.

Tom_Green está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #4869
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Thanks sankibez! Great info!

On this image...

First of all, does anyone know if the bracket or whatever it is on the far left, one floor below the top of the tier (tier 2?), is permanent?

Second, I'm really excited to see a tier that has cladding below and above it, as we should see in a week or so there!

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #4870
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Burj Dubai plans New Year's Eve launch
by Rob Corder on Monday, 30 July 2007

The tower is expected to officially open before Christmas 2008.
The world's tallest building is planning to launch in style with a glitzy bash to ring in the New Year, according to the tower's project director.

Speaking exclusively to Arabian Business, George Sang revealed that on December 31 next year the Burj Dubai will host a massive New Year's Eve party to celebrate the tower's completion.

He said the tower is expected to officially open before Christmas 2008.

Sang remained tight-lipped over the height of Burj Dubai. Estimates range from 700-1000 metres, with many speculating the final height will be around 808 metres.

Cladding of the building in reflective glass began seven weeks ago, so Dubai residents are finally beginning to see the gleaming needle that the tower will eventually become. (arabianbusiness.com)
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #4871
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

It will not happen. Samsung is predicting a completiion on late 2009.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM   #4872
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
30/July/2007

Burj Dubai , lake test

Those pictures suggest that the mock-up lake is only for testing/measuring the evaporation, and not infiltration through the bottom or the sides. Maybe checking sand accumulation as well.
I can cheat you blind.

Old July 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #4873
jamude18
In Your Thoughts

Likes (Received): 5

the crystal gives it another look
jamude18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #4874
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

They seem to be doing about 1/3rd of a glass floor a day... which is as fast as the concrete rises! So it's not going to catch itself up until the concrete stops being placed... and to do 160 floors will take 480 days (although as the top floors are so much smaller it should speed up).
Of course if they use more than one team as suggested then that'll speed it up too...
Great pics again and, wow SkyTower you got big cahonas to post those pdf's online - that stuff seems way confidential !!! Not sure why some of the pdf's have a height of 808 and some say 818.
It's good to hear they're so careful on safety... I hope they fix the things quickly so there aren't anymore serious accidents 1 person died. I wonder if they updated the sign "days since last lost time accident". Then we'll know if that sign is just publicity BS or is reflecting what's really happening!
Those safety "bulletins" are also great for showing the interior of the building. The place looks so dark and ominous inside at this stage with the dark grey walls and the lack of lighting!
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #4875
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

Great pics once again Imre! Looks like level 143 on top, thats 522 meters!!! One more floor and is over Sears tower antenna. The highest wing is over the 4th mechanical floors. It took a long time to complete. The `INDIA` sign will soon be no more. Actually only for insiders It will look much more massive when wings are completed! I just cant wait
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #4876
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlepeakoil View Post
They seem to be doing about 1/3rd of a glass floor a day... which is as fast as the concrete rises! So it's not going to catch itself up until the concrete stops being placed...
But the higher floors will be much smaller, so they won't take as long to clad.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #4877
AltinD
The Modecator

Plus as they say: "...Practice makes perfect..."
I can cheat you blind.

Old July 30th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #4878
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

Many thanks, update master Imre
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #4879
Shahid

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
This is humiliated! Emmar should know better.. provide proper beds and air conditions.. they should have built resting room/building next to Burj Dubai..

"Oh cheap indian labour, **** it" - that is what Emmar thinking??
Shahid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #4880
glitz_boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post

That was the stipulated pile test for those columns (1200mm x 31.2m)

The epoxy coating is because that area is a very old marsh bed and just 12m below the surface is brackish water as you get down to sea level.

The whole piles were coated for oxide protection from the salty water which accelerates the deteriation of the concrete.

The foundation mat has already "settled 40mm" since construction began; but the tolerances are very high in the safety margins.

I'm not sure what the Data Mining Specification Language is for this area as I'm not a ground surveyor; but you can read about the testing at...

http://dubaimegaprojects.com/docs/bu...g-of-piles.pdf

As for the TMD....I have no idea! Hopefully one like in SWFC but all I know is they have set aside £20,000,000 AED in the overall budget.

IC ...but f all of your piles rebar and the mat foundation rebar are epoxy coated how are you going to do the grounding/lightning protection?

oh 40mm already? oh yeah as shown in that excel spreadsheet... but given the load of this tower 40mm shld be less than what is expected, isnbt it? and whats the value of the soil capacity used in the mat foundation?

btw, DMSL = Dubai Mean Sea Level ... not any language hehe...

out of curiousity, do you happen to know the Dubai Municipality Level and the Dubai Mean Sea Level for Dancing Tower plot?
glitz_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote