daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:57 PM   #5021
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

02/August/2007

Burj Dubai, Sheikh Zayed Road

Burj Dubai ,new cladding

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:00 PM   #5022
Endimion17

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlepeakoil View Post
Maybe web 1.0 netiquette.
Now you can't go to any news site without being bombarded by streaming video ads.
Anyway I prefer Imre's mix of large and small pics - with the best ones posted as larger images. They're also not being uploaded as raw sizes (1000s by 1000s) but at a really good resized 1200x900 resolution most of the time. Clicking on thumbnails - some of them take 10-20seconds to open because image shacks servers are so slow! Saving off all the pics that way takes aggggesssss.
People should expect big pics here! - It's a big building - it demands big pics... most people want to see the details without clicking on thumbnails which load ads and pop-ups/pop-unders!
My home connection is 200k a sec, my work connection probably double that so I love 'em. Keep them coming!
If it's slow for people, open a second web browser read some news while the big pics load in the background of this page. They're also never 20mb, most are 300-600k max each.
So what if it's a big building? If we were discussing space, would that give you right to post 1 meter per pixel photos of Martian cliffs?
Not everyone on this planet has a 200k connection. Some have, but don't have the flatrate option. I've got 1.5 Mbps, but not flatrate, which is a pain in the ass. I've got to rely on speed-reduction software, addblocking and/or pressing Esc like a lunatic, just to keep my costs as low as possible.
The Internet seems great when you live in an area where cheap extreme speeds together with flatrate are common thing, but those areas are not widespread. The planet is not one giant western city.
I'm not stuck in 1995, excited about downloading MIDI files, but thumbnails are a matter of politeness.
Thumbnail usage gives people the choice. It is the best thing to do cause it's democratic, and we're on the Internet, which is supposed to be free.
Whether you just link huge files, or post them in IMG tags, you leave the folks without a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden View Post
You forgot the most irritating part. Why do people have to quote the huge string of giant pics just to say "Nice pics"?
I'd give forum infractions for that. Pronto, no waiting. Red card.

And now on topic, to spare myself of being warned or something.
1) I've asked this few pages back - is anyone taking Burj Dubai's photos from the same spot, in order to make a timelapse movie?

2) How do you even pronounce it's name?

3) I just saw on wikipedia:
Antenna/Spire ~818 m (2,684 ft) (estimate)
Roof ~643.3 m (2,110.6 ft)
Top floor ~624.1 m (2,047.6 ft)

God I hope the roof will be taller than that. I mean, why couldn't they put it at 650, to beat the crap out of Warsaw Radio Mast?
It would be really symbolic.

4) What on earth will they put on the upper floors? They are so narrow and so tall. Are they even accessible?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM   #5023
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

one more

02/August/2007

Burj Dubai Palm version

Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:05 PM   #5024
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
02/August/2007

Burj Dubai, Sheikh Zayed Road

I'd love to drive there once!!

Have somebody seen SkiDubai on Discovery?
Old August 2nd, 2007, 06:41 PM   #5025
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

I also counted 143 floors! 136,7,8 are mechanical and than 5 more! Thats great Cladding also going very nice. for Imre
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:07 PM   #5026
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
i wonder how mutch taller the concrete strukture is going to be ?
until Floor 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
That sucks. It looks like the area surrounding the base is constructed for cars.
It should be build for humans.
on the lake side there will be no cars i believe
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:12 PM   #5027
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endimion17 View Post
I was wondering, why are some of you constantly breaking the rules of netiquette? You simply don't post large pictures. It is very impolite.
You don't put a link - someone has to open it to see what's going on. There are several problems with that.

You put a thumbnail - so everyone and everywhere can see what's on the picture and choose to download it.
It's not because of people on low-speed connections (although, we should be aware of that, too). What about people without flatrate?

How would you feel if you'd like to show someone a picture that appeared somewhere, and you can't figure out where it is because someone posted twenty-or-so freaking several-magabyte monsters which, BTW, have the tendency to slow down a machine with less RAM?
We're not always at our homes behind our expensive and monstruous machinery. Sometimes, you go to work, or college, or school, where you can't find computers that are optimized for gaming.

Geez, don't be so pretentious. Thumbnails are sufficient. This is a forum. Even image galleries have thumbnails.

I disagree. If you don't like it get a bigger monitor and a high speed internet connection. I have a large 30" monitor and a high speed cable connection. I'd ******* hate it if everything were in thumbnails. Also get more memory for your computer and maybe a faster processor. I like when people post images straight to the page. Thumbnails are not sufficient.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:13 PM   #5028
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Green View Post
That sucks. It looks like the area surrounding the base is constructed for cars.
It should be build for humans.
I don't understand this.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #5029
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Me neither...the cars go underground and there's only one entrance and one exit for all vehicles! No cars will be hardstanding outside at all.
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM   #5030
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I disagree. If you don't like it get a bigger monitor and a high speed internet connection. I have a large 30" monitor and a high speed cable connection. I'd ******* hate it if everything were in thumbnails. Also get more memory for your computer and maybe a faster processor. I like when people post images straight to the page. Thumbnails are not sufficient.
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 07:50 PM   #5031
emutiny

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

My computer is pretty insane. Normal dsl. I like thumbnails especialy on pages with useful information because if you want to read the info while the pics are loading it scrolls the fkin page while it loads.. Also high speed access is not available to everybody, no to mention its usually the server side, NOT the client side connection slowing things down. Your just to lazy to click images.
emutiny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:07 PM   #5032
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

FM sounds like he thinks people are just posting pics for him to look at - A lot of people are on dial-up nor can afford elsewise, fancy screens etc (not myself, I don't mind pics either way). Think of them Mr 30" Screen!

Cool vid Imre. SZR looks wild. You always deliver!
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM   #5033
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by emutiny View Post
My computer is pretty insane. Normal dsl. I like thumbnails especialy on pages with useful information because if you want to read the info while the pics are loading it scrolls the fkin page while it loads.. Also high speed access is not available to everybody, no to mention its usually the server side, NOT the client side connection slowing things down. Your just to lazy to click images.
There is an option in every browser allowing to reserve the missing pic location ("afficher les espaces réservés pour le téléchargement des images" in french), avoiding this annoying auto-scroll.
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:22 PM   #5034
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by emutiny View Post
I am very lazy and somewhat impatient at times. I guess it's just a preference but I'm just not a big fan of thumbnails. I love Imre's posts but I very rarely click on any of the thumbnails. Also it isn't my fault high speed internet isn't available to everyone. Someone needs to get their ass in gear and get faster internet to people who have to use modems.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:29 PM   #5035
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

Easy when using a multi-tabbed browser... I'm used to click on every Imre's thumbnail and let them load safely while reading anything else in other tabs

For those under Windows, I advice this one:

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Very fast, friendly and easy to use, using a IE overlay.

Sorry for off-topic, but I think it helps

Last edited by Skymyhusband; August 2nd, 2007 at 08:36 PM.
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:35 PM   #5036
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

agree with you sky, but lets get back to topic please
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:37 PM   #5037
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
agree with you sky, but lets get back to topic please
yeah,a lot of spam
44p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:48 PM   #5038
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchrisij View Post
I'd love to drive there once!!

Have somebody seen SkiDubai on Discovery?
I drive there twice a day, however I prefer more walking on the sidewalks of the parallel road running in front of the skyscrapers. At night (when is not hot) It's just great.

BTW I've seen the SkiDubai documentary on Discovery a few times and it cracks me up the part when the British Project Manager swears to the Swiss Enginers and their watches for being late ... never skied inside though, actually I have never skied in real snow either.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM   #5039
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Skytower, when was the schedule Fury posted in post 4907 revised? I think it's out of date.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 08:57 PM   #5040
Krom

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymyhusband View Post
Easy when using a multi-tabbed browser... I'm used to click on every Imre's thumbnail and let them load safely while reading anything else in other tabs

For those under Windows, I advice this one:

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Very fast, friendly and easy to use, using a IE overlay.

Sorry for off-topic, but I think it helps
Why don't you just say "go firefox"? Because some people don't have choice at work?
Krom no está en línea   Reply With Quote