daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 27th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #7401
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurms Mackenzie View Post
Thanks for that...no it's none of those. It looks very similar to the one that Culwulla pointed out. It is a perfect cone shape. But it is very clearly 1001m on the renders and elevations. I thought maybe you guys would know about it already, but since you don't, I imagine it is still in the 'confidential' category.

You would understand that I can't post the drawings or renders as I don't want to get fired. Oh well, I will keep an ear out and see if I find out any more. The drawings and renders are up all over the walls in one of our main meeting rooms and I keep asking people 'do you know what that big tower is...who is working on it?' and no-one seems to know. But there are a lot of people in this office, so I'll continue my detective work!

Sorry for the distraction...onwards with the Burj!
i think i know the answer already but do you know where this thing will get built?
Or can you even tell us?
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2007, 08:34 PM   #7402
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

thank you imre

thank you imre for sending me thos gifts !
very mutch a prusiated !

my end the beers work place !

Your dear frend Henrik

Last edited by vanhenrik; September 27th, 2007 at 11:10 PM.
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #7403
twickline

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
How did you ever get him to part with his bear?
Nice gifts btw......

Cheers,

-Tom
twickline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #7404
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

What is the significance of the bear? I think I lost the joke somewhere.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #7405
HeavenlySword
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Who is the funny bear???
HeavenlySword no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #7406
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

Imre owns 7 similar bears, this one is "Bear Dubai". Can't bear it? Cheers
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #7407
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurms Mackenzie View Post
Thanks for that...no it's none of those. It looks very similar to the one that Culwulla pointed out. It is a perfect cone shape. But it is very clearly 1001m on the renders and elevations. I thought maybe you guys would know about it already, but since you don't, I imagine it is still in the 'confidential' category.

You would understand that I can't post the drawings or renders as I don't want to get fired. Oh well, I will keep an ear out and see if I find out any more. The drawings and renders are up all over the walls in one of our main meeting rooms and I keep asking people 'do you know what that big tower is...who is working on it?' and no-one seems to know. But there are a lot of people in this office, so I'll continue my detective work!

Sorry for the distraction...onwards with the Burj!
If I were a massive optimist, I would say "Perhaps the reason we have not heard anything when we expected about the Al Habtoor tower is because they have redesigned it to 1001 meters, afterall there were no restrictions on its plot." But the more prominent pessimist in me says "Al Habtoor has been canceled and this one is just a pipe dream."
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #7408
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymyhusband View Post
Imre owns 7 similar bears, this one is "Bear Dubai". Can't bear it? Cheers
It's completely unbearable!!!
i can't bear it any longer.
ok, enough of that.
xXFallenXx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #7409
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

thanx for putting me right on the circular tower.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #7410
DTGeek

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escoto_Dubai2008 View Post
It's intesting to now wich continent will have more skyscrapers in the future. And Asia is going to be that continent if the US doesn't do something to change contructions height limit it will loose its own place in the mega tall towers.
It has nothing to do with height limits, it has to do with economics and social conditions, where the western world is much more advanced. There's little demand for skyscrapers in most western countries, because most companies are opening up smaller satellite offices and more employees work from home. For what demand there is, labor is usually prohibitively expensive, because there are unions, minimum wages, and a low supply of laborers since nobody wants to do those jobs.

You'll continue to see some skyscrapers getting built in the large urban centers in western nations, but nowhere near the amount of places like Dubai and China that don't care much about human rights and working conditions.
DTGeek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #7411
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Please ban this idiot.
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #7412
walli
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTGeek View Post
It has nothing to do with height limits, it has to do with economics and social conditions, where the western world is much more advanced. There's little demand for skyscrapers in most western countries, because most companies are opening up smaller satellite offices and more employees work from home. For what demand there is, labor is usually prohibitively expensive, because there are unions, minimum wages, and a low supply of laborers since nobody wants to do those jobs.

You'll continue to see some skyscrapers getting built in the large urban centers in western nations, but nowhere near the amount of places like Dubai and China that don't care much about human rights and working conditions.
It is actually mostly about economics in my view. The US cannot afford to build - there is already major mortgage fallout and it is not done yet. As any economist with self-respect will tell you, the overall financial situation in the US is extremely bad. There is massive debt and deficit, and the light at the end of the tunnel is a long ways away. The US simply cannot finance too much major construction going forward, as the pistons of the economic engine are seizing up, while other countries are not stepping in to bail them out any more. The mortgage crises will be followed up soon enough by the car sector, which has been faltering for a decade now! Just as an example, the Canadian dollar, which many of my US friends used to condescendingly refer to as monopoly money, is now at par with the US dollar, gaining 50% over the last few years!

But with that, we should probably be getting back to the worlds tallest free-standing structure, the Burj Dubai ... in Asia!
walli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #7413
zelterheist
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

walli truly did your american friends call canadian dollar monopoly money? i guess they must be feeling bitter now that canadian dollar equals greenback.
zelterheist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:48 AM   #7414
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden View Post
Please ban this idiot.

Why?
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #7415
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhenrik View Post
very mutch a prusiated !

my end the beers work place !

Your dear frend Henrik
hehe aww how cute... BTW i found this interesting pic in Latincrapers..
Norte America, Europa, and Latino America mean North America, Europe and Latin America ( for those who don't know Spanish ))

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:08 AM   #7416
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Walli I just want to answer your post above.

The US is in an economic downturn. There are PLENTY of wealth and jobs there with a good standard of living for those who want to work. This is the bottoming out of the US economy and it is going to go upward in a few years. Debt? Who is going to call them on it? I'm Canadian and the Canadian dollar is way too high against the US for import. Canada has a huge forest industry and the on par dollar is killing it. Dubai is just intelligently using up its resources (oil) to convert to a tourist and tax haven economy since its usable reserves will "dry up" in terms of being a player in OPEC. The US economy has weathered many downturns but always rebounds back. I do agree with you walli on the auto sector. The US is simply producing too many cars and is employing too many unionized workers to sell production lines no longer in real demand. This will eventully cause them to "correct that industry". The United States, in reality NO LONGER needs skyscrapers for their economy unless that building is self sustaining such as special financial demand for the new world trade center and the chicago spire. Computer automation no longer needs thousands of office workers in high rent space. Supertall OFFICE buildings are perhaps a thing of the past there. Nevermind New York City which is a world economic hub. I'm talking about LA, Chicago and the rest. Today it would cost 850 million to 1 billion U.S. dollars to build a huge office building there and the financial return on such a tower would be very long in making the project profitable. In a nation which is democratic and private funds go into such buildings few developers and investors want their money tied up on such a building.

beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #7417
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000 View Post
Why?
The post that was about is now deleted and gone.
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #7418
EnDleSsWaLtZ

Likes (Received): 22

LOL I so want that bear!
EnDleSsWaLtZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #7419
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

No, not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelterheist View Post
walli truly did your american friends call canadian dollar monopoly money? i guess they must be feeling bitter now that canadian dollar equals greenback.
We Americans never called the Canadian dollar monopoly money. I remember back in the 1970's when the CAN$ was actually worth more than the US$. The relative value of currencies has nothing to do with the economic vitality or the quality of life of the citizens of those countries. For example, when was the Japan Yen or the Swiss Franc ever worth more than the US $? For that matter, when did the British Pound Sterling ever dip below the US$ ???
Old September 28th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #7420
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post
We Americans never called the Canadian dollar monopoly money. I remember back in the 1970's when the CAN$ was actually worth more than the US$. The relative value of currencies has nothing to do with the economic vitality or the quality of life of the citizens of those countries. For example, when was the Japan Yen or the Swiss Franc ever worth more than the US $? For that matter, when did the British Pound Sterling ever dip below the US$ ???
What??? Fellow Americans used to make jokes about the Canadian dollar all the time. Here are some recent fark.com headlines about the Canadian dollar:

Canadian dollar reaches highest level in 30 years, worth 92 cents against U.S. dollar. Canadian Farkers look forward to the day when they can look at U.S. prices in stories and sneer, "That's what, 53 cents in real money?"

Canadian dollar trading higher- may soon be worth more than paper it's printed on

And tons of others. To say that Americans haven't been mocking the Canadian dollar is the most inaccurate thing I have read on here in a while and that's saying a lot. I can't count the number of times I've heard someone compare Canadian money to Monopoly money. This was continuing until about six months ago.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote