daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #741
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

hopefully imre will take some pics tomorrow, then we'll see it.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #742
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

What???????I expected claddingstart in 3-4 weeks!

Great, so I hope its not only gossip!

Who is the contractor?????
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #743
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

[IMG]http://i8.************/4oq2xpe.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Ember-To-Ashes; May 10th, 2007 at 10:23 PM.
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #744
germantower
i ♥ NY

pic

Imre i have a pic request.

If you have time i would be glad if you could take a pic like that

[IMG]http://i12.************/2znnz4o.jpg[/IMG]

at daytime but a bit closer to the SZR.

thanks in advance.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #745
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Nice pics guys.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #746
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

I always suspected that when they said "maybe the cladding will start in June" they were still trying for May but just wanted to "lower expectations" since there would be hell to pay if they missed another start date. I can't wait to see the pictures!
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #747
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Don't think that, that guy seams to be involved in the project and has given some interesting infos in the past.
Plus he said "first real panels", which means he's aware of the old ones and distinguishes these new ones from them.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #748
germantower
i ♥ NY

I am waiting for pics from the picturemaster Imre.

Than we can clearly see if the told things are true.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #749
sampras
V

Likes (Received): 1

I don't know what is growing faster:
Dubai's Tower or this thread

keep on posting pic's anyway

[ Art 54 ust. 1 KRP "Każdemu zapewnia się wolność wyrażania swoich poglądów oraz pozyskiwania i rozpowszechniania informacji." ]

software is like sex - it is much better when it is free

sampras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #750
Darth Shemp
Armani

Likes (Received): 0

If you kids weren't so lazy waiting for others to do the hard work for you, you can see the photographs on the internet right now if you all would do a little effort in looking on the internet instead of wasting time on here asking when you all know Imre photos will come.
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #751
syedaouf
aouf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Shemp View Post
If you kids weren't so lazy waiting for others to do the hard work for you, you can see the photographs on the internet right now if you all would do a little effort in looking on the internet instead of wasting time on here asking when you all know Imre photos will come.
not everyone in Dubai goes around taking pix of this tower , n even if they do how many do u think will post them on the net , maybe around 10 of them , n u wont even know if its the latest update or no ,
but Imre's updates are the best , (altho i must admit i love AltinD's zoom the best ) n u'll know wat we mean if u look at his updates , they are huge , n we get to see it from almost every angle .
syedaouf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #752
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #753
Compadre

Mmmm awesome renders. Haven't seen them before.
Compadre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #754
Darth Shemp
Armani

Exactly. Very nice effort spyguy and Fury for actually making the effort to find photos on the internet instead of always asking others to do the work.
Darth Shemp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #755
Duboy
on fire!!

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
Plus he said "first real panels", which means he's aware of the old ones and distinguishes these new ones from them.
Yeah, i did mean first real panels, not the glazing test ones. If one looks hard enough at level 39 of Wing C (aka south wing), one can also see the monorails installed, which will be used to mass install these unitized panels. Exciting days ahead for the Burj
Duboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #756
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2

Oh, so there're no actual panes on yet, just the rails?

...So I should probably start breathing again?

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #757
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

At the moment I am updating my (on-line) Burj Dubai Album, I just created. So far I uploaded 34 personal construction updates, I've taken up to February 25th 2006.

Everyuthing was posted on the forum though, so no exclusive pictures there.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #758
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10139

great renders.
good diagram ashes. really puts things into perspective
http://i8.************/4oq2xpe.jpg
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #759
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

CN Tower status about to fall
Dubai skyscraper about to surpass Toronto landmark en route to 700-metre stature
Randy Boswell, CanWest News Service
Published: Thursday, May 10, 2007
It's been the Earth's exclamation mark for three decades, but the CN Tower's days as the world's tallest free-standing structure are now officially numbered.

Canada's signature architectural creation has, at most, 100 days to go before a cloud-piercing skyscraper in the Middle East emirate of Dubai tops Toronto's 553-metre landmark en route to an eventual height somewhere on the stratospheric side of 700 metres.

Precisely how high the $1-billion Burj Dubai will rise is being kept secret, although early plans showed it soaring to 808 metres. But the U.S.-based designer of Dubai's stunning vertical megaproject has told CanWest News Service that "the Burj" -- now rising at the rate of about one floor every few days and which last week surpassed Chicago's 442-metre Sears Tower, the tallest building in America -- will push past the CN Tower by mid-August, give or take an unexpected delay or advance in the construction schedule.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font: ****"Approximately three months from now, the Burj Dubai will be at or above the 553-metre mark," the Chicago-based design and engineering firm Skidmore, Owings & Merrill said in an e-mail on Wednesday.

George Efstathiou, Skidmore's managing partner for the Burj Dubai, said in an interview that he's planning a trip to Toronto this summer -- the last in the CN Tower's 31-year reign as planetary pinnacle -- for a respectful elevator ride up the longtime world record-holder, before it joins the likes of the Sears Tower, the Empire State Building, the Eiffel Tower and the Pyramids of Egypt on the list of the globe's ex-tallest structures.

"Whenever I go to a city, I visit its tallest point," said Efsthathiou. "I'm planning to take a trip up there to Toronto to see some friends, and I'll absolutely be going up the CN Tower before the Burj hits that height."

Remarkably, soon after the Lake Ontario landmark is finally eclipsed by the one rising on the Persian Gulf coast, the CN Tower could begin dropping rapidly down the rankings of man-made super-structures.

A host of other architectural giants around the world -- in Russia, China, Indonesia, South Korea, Japan, Bahrain and the U.S. -- have been proposed to shoot past the half-kilometre mark and, within a decade or two, make it tough for the Toronto tower to maintain a spot in the top 10.

In fact, municipal officials in Illinois were expected to approve blueprints on Wednesday for the 609-metre Chicago Spire, a corkscrew-style mixed-use building overlooking Lake Michigan that would overshadow the city's famed Sears Building and relegate the CN Tower to No. 2 in North America.

Even the Burj Dubai could be toppled from the world's-tallest title soon after its completion, set for June 2009. A second skyscraper just a few doors down along the Dubai waterfront -- the Al-Burj -- is designed to reach 1,200 metres, twice the height of the CN Tower, and then some.

But Efstathiou sniffs at the prospect of the Burj Dubai being trumped anytime soon.

"There are a lot of towers that are planned," he said, emphasizing the last word. "It's interesting to see how many are actually being built."

Developed with financial backing from the government of the oil-rich Gulf state, the Burj Dubai has been described as "a symbol of the city's pride and a statement of our arrival on the global scene" by Mohammed Ali Alabbar, chairman of the building's Dubai-based owner, Emaar Properties.

Dubai is one of the most lucrative tourism and real estate markets in the world. Part of the United Arab Emirates and located on the northern coast of the Arabian peninsula, Dubai has developed plans for the world's first underwater hotel, a revolving indoor ski slope and a constellation of 250 man-made islands shaped and positioned to create a miniature version of the planet's major land masses.

Efstathiou, whose company also designed the Sears Tower and the 344-metre John Hancock Center in Chicago, says technology and real estate economics have combined to fuel demand for super-tall buildings at a number of key sites around the world.

The completed Burj Dubai will punctuate another record-setting real estate development surrounding its base -- a 14-million-sq.-ft. shopping mall that will be nearly triple the size of the West Edmonton Mall, another Canadian superlative set to fall to No. 2 in the world after Emaar finishes its massive projects.

The CN Tower, completed in 1976, has had a practical purpose as a communications hub and tourism magnet, but was also meant by its builder, Canadian National, to symbolize Canada as a leading industrial nation.

The tower, which marked its 30th anniversary last year, is now owned by the federal Crown agency Canada Lands Company. In a statement sent Wednesday to CanWest News Service, the CN Tower's chief operating officer Jack Robinson said: "At this time, we are not announcing the details of any plans responding to the potential height of the Burj Dubai in relation to the CN Tower. With respect to the CN Tower's legacy, the CN Tower has been the world's tallest tower for over 31 years and we can all be proud of this longstanding record."
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...9-6fa19ee6ad66

Last edited by Adrian Smith fan; May 11th, 2007 at 01:59 AM.
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #760
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2

Wow. That's really soon.

Is it official that Al Burj is planned to be 1200m?

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!

Last edited by Mr. Alloy; May 11th, 2007 at 03:37 AM.
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote