daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #7901
res

Likes (Received): 17

The Warsaw radio mast was the tallest structure ever built; however, it existed only from 1974 to 1991. Designed by Jan Polak, it was 646.38 meters (2,120 feet) tall and weighed 380 tonnes (420 short tons). Construction was finished on May 18 1974 and broadcasts were officially launched on July 30 1974. The mast was located in Konstantynˇw, Poland (52░22′14″N, 19░48′23″E), and was used by Warsaw Radio-Television (Centrum Radiowo-Telewizyjne) for long wave radio broadcast on the frequency 227 kHz (before February 1 1988) and 225 kHz (after February 1 1988). The mast was insulated against ground for a voltage of 120 kV and stood therefore on a 2 metre high insulator. It served as an aerial of half wavelength for the used frequency 225 kHz. The signals from its 2 megawatt transmitters could be received across all of Europe, North Africa and even in North America.

This is only curiosity sorry for OT
res no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #7902
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10143

yes, The Warsawa mast was impressive. i couldnt believe it when it collapsed.The maintenance guys were re-tensioning the wires when it folded. killing 2 guys.
but its height was great and thats all. comparing it to Burj Dubai diesnt rate. the mast was 5m wide and held by wires. Burj Dubai is over 90m wide at base, self supported, solid concrete to nearly 600m and will be over 200m higher then warsawa mast.
mind boggling
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #7903
cooperchris

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
yes, The Warsawa mast was impressive. i couldnt believe it when it collapsed.The maintenance guys were re-tensioning the wires when it folded. killing 2 guys.
but its height was great and thats all. comparing it to Burj Dubai diesnt rate. the mast was 5m wide and held by wires. Burj Dubai is over 90m wide at base, self supported, solid concrete to nearly 600m and will be over 200m higher then warsawa mast.
mind boggling

Res said it was 646.38 meters tall and you reckon it's over 200m taller than that? That would make it 846.38 meters at least, do you know something we don't?.....
cooperchris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #7904
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

???

A large amount off posts is missing!!!

What the hell happend in here???

Nice diagram Richard!! Realy looking good right there!!

Cheers
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #7905
Chicagoflo
Frmr. Dallas Star

I'm really killing myself right now can't see any pixsI
Old October 11th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #7906
Gattberserk
Smith

Likes (Received): 17

Any new update?

When will L154 be schedule to complete? My plan is currently not accurate hence possibly I need a re-update

Just hope it doesn't take too long.

Kingdom Tower of Jeddah
Gattberserk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #7907
vader11

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
Burj Dubai is over 90m wide at base, self supported, solid concrete to nearly 600m and will be over 200m higher then warsawa mast.
How do you know burj would be over 846.38m high?

btw, don't forget that that mast was built more than 30 years before the burj.

Last edited by vader11; October 11th, 2007 at 06:12 PM.
vader11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #7908
Alweron

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlobalizer View Post
Show me a city with a "centre" and I'll show you a bunch of neighborhoods that don't give a sh** about the "centre".
Well, for ex. Helsinki has a clear centre. Even if it's a small city (or maybe tha't the reason), we still have the centre unlike some other cities. Perhaps u don't even know what it means to have a nice central area, not just the never-stopping building row. Sure there are many who couldn't care less about the centre, but it's nice to have something else in a city than just roads and buildings stuffed together without thinking.

Every city has it's malls but c'mon, who hangs out in some stupid mall with nothing but tourists and people running from shop to another? If u want to go out and enjoy the warm night with ur friends, where do u go in Dubai? Will u sit next to a highway that goes throught the whole city or perhaps to the mall?

I checked the Dubai parks from Google, and it said there are some of them, but they are very big and I'm sure they aren't situated near the assumed "centre". So u're gonna have to drive to this huge park by car. And what's more, the Jumeirah Beach Park (for ex.) isn't even free!
Alweron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #7909
sankibez

Unharmed

To Culwulla: when the Warsaw Mast collapsed there weren't any casualties. It was close shave, though; the maintenance team was supposed to work at the top that day, but the main engineer gave it up due to the darkness, the same unknowingly saving their lives. You can call it COINCIDENCE.
sankibez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #7910
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alweron View Post
Well, for ex. Helsinki has a clear centre. Even if it's a small city (or maybe tha't the reason), we still have the centre unlike some other cities. Perhaps u don't even know what it means to have a nice central area, not just the never-stopping building row. Sure there are many who couldn't care less about the centre, but it's nice to have something else in a city than just roads and buildings stuffed together without thinking.

Every city has it's malls but c'mon, who hangs out in some stupid mall with nothing but tourists and people running from shop to another? If u want to go out and enjoy the warm night with ur friends, where do u go in Dubai? Will u sit next to a highway that goes throught the whole city or perhaps to the mall?

I checked the Dubai parks from Google, and it said there are some of them, but they are very big and I'm sure they aren't situated near the assumed "centre". So u're gonna have to drive to this huge park by car. And what's more, the Jumeirah Beach Park (for ex.) isn't even free!
Don't talk about things you don't understand.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #7911
Tumbling Dice

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankibez View Post
To Culwulla: when the Warsaw Mast collapsed there weren't any casualties. It was close shave, though; the maintenance team was supposed to work at the top that day, but the main engineer gave it up due to the darkness, the same unknowingly saving their lives. You can call it COINCIDENCE.
I was aware of a crane being crushed in the Poland collapse but not aware of any casualties. Hope this helps.

On a side note, the original of the mast in my avatar collapsed in 1969 (Emley Moor mast, West Yorkshire, England) - again thankfully no casualties though again a close call. One of the guy lines cut straight through the roof of a church. Ice brought down the original mast.

Back to topic .. just the one casualty on the Burj Dubai so far ?? In this day and age there shouldn't be any.

Last edited by Tumbling Dice; October 11th, 2007 at 07:05 PM.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #7912
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

I think there were two, but not sure now.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #7913
Tumbling Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
I think there were two, but not sure now.

I'm sorry to hear that - I was aware of one guy falling from the 130th floor to the 108th floor in June this year resulting in loss of life.

Let's hope there aren't any more .. all men working near the edge or near lift shafts should have safety harnesses on at all times.

Last edited by Tumbling Dice; October 11th, 2007 at 08:06 PM.
Tumbling Dice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #7914
Spandex

Yeah but a project of this size!!
having many thousands of workers, working 24 hour a day for some years.
It would be against the odds if no one died,
I worked once in a factory of 200 people, 2 workers had fatal accidents in only 3 years. Not saying that is normal (witch it┤s not, it was a great tragedy for the company and families) but just mentioning it to come clear about the marvel of the Burj

It now makes me wander how many have died during construction on all the other WTB┤s (101,petronas,sears etc.)
Does anyone have that info?
Spandex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #7915
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
I think it's easier to have a concise city center in a smaller city. Even in Baltimore, where I live, there's a city center, but that's mainly the business district and touristy spots like our Inner Harbor. However, there are a lot of neighborhoods outside of the city center that cater better to the locals. Washington is similar. The only city in the US that I'm aware of having both a cohesive city center and strong neighborhoods is Chicago.

Quote:

Points noted re: Dubai. I do think they'll need to work on infrastructure, such as public transit, but I'm pretty sure I've read discussion that this is underway as well. Dubai reminds me of arid US cities like Houston and Dallas, and has even larger distance issues. Driving is the way of life there.

Certainly, I don't think Dubai fits the European model of urban design. Even by US standards, it's a bit odd.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #7916
renato1
renato1

Does somebody knows when IMRE will be back from his hollidays?
renato1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #7917
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Next week Renato1.

If it isnt then sombody else needs to correct me.

When he comes back it will be fun to hear his stories off where he went on holiday.

When this thread hits the 10.000 posts mark, then i want that Imre is going to start the final BD thread.

Because he IS dubai`s soul on SSC. Without him the world would miss a hell off a lot info comming out off the Emirate.

Cheers to the holy Imre Solt and SSC
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #7918
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

i'm sure imre will make a Mega-big BD update when he is back
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #7919
OMH

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:

its a new city..but i agree,the urban planning in Dubai could be better!
OMH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #7920
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

[IMG]http://i24.************/156v0wn.jpg[/IMG]
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote