daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #841
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Lets get back on track please. This thread is about the construction progress of Burj Dubai.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #842
tyrantx
Insider Information

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalliTooL View Post
Lets get back on track please. This thread is about the construction progress of Burj Dubai.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Now given the conflicting information out there as to the final height of the Burj Dubai, has there been any solid press? The highest estimate I have heard (spire included) would make it 3,308ft tall
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:05 AM   #843
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777 View Post
as nobody was able to give me an answer i looked it up by myself and calculated it then....

Burj Dubai has enough gross floor area to host room for 6000 permanent residents, if it would be all residential ( without hotel and office)

that means you would need 167 Burj Dubais to host 1 million people or 3340 of these to host a city with 20 million people like Shanghail(off course only the residential part--the offices, schools shopping and so on would have to be built in lowrise and underground facilities).....

Considering that you would be able to put 11 of these on one square Kilometer, when you use 300m*300m for each, you would be able to put the whole population of Shanghai ( 20 million) on an area of 17km by 17 km

That means, burj dubai IS the solution to all problem of overpopulation.......

Btw, a skyline of 3340 Burj Dubais would look quite awesome---is someone here who could make a rendering of such a city?
Burj Dubai is certainly not the most efficient in terms of floor space vs height vs footprint and I recon you could get the same density per square km with 10 storey buildings.
In fact I think really dense midrise is the way of the future. This is the way we used to build stuff before we discovered the black stuff in the ground so we certainly know that it'll work in the future. Also midrise cities are surprisingly dense, look at Paris for example.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:17 AM   #844
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Look at the picture again. There is nothing random about it. It is the first floor above the first mechanical floors. I think that they won't clad the floors below the first mechanical floors until the podium wings are completed.
there's no way that there are 20+ mechanical floors below the first cladding. I still feel that it's test cladding (even though I've read here that it's been done already)...always must measure twice and cut once
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #845
eddie88

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag_one View Post
Sure:

In this part of the building they're still working on its concrete construction. During the construction of the burj, they've only build the collums needed for the tower. The rest of the structure is now under construction. It should be ready soon

sexy looking building (Y)
eddie88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #846
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

I think the facade will look different than it does in that render. It won't be as see-through and the aluminum parts will be much more shiny.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:46 AM   #847
tyrantx
Insider Information

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec View Post
Burj Dubai is certainly not the most efficient in terms of floor space vs height vs footprint and I recon you could get the same density per square km with 10 storey buildings.
In fact I think really dense midrise is the way of the future. This is the way we used to build stuff before we discovered the black stuff in the ground so we certainly know that it'll work in the future. Also midrise cities are surprisingly dense, look at Paris for example.
The space efficiency of the Burj is inherent in it's design and layout. There is no market for half mile tall rectangular monoliths which resemble a Star Trek-esque Borg ships.

I don't particularly see mid-rise as the wave of the future as it does not address most density issues and future growth. People who live in high rise conos or apartments do not want a tiny 400 square foot or equally outdated hostel style flat. There are some cities that work within the confines of mid rises out of necessity. San Diego is such a city because of the airport location right next to downtown. Height restrictions of 500ft are law. But then again like most cities in the US with such issues to contend with, there has been ample space(debatable) for suburban sprawl. Low to mid density solutions have there place, but are definitely not the wave of the future and surely no model for urban growth.

Multi-use aesthetically pleasing and tall towers such as the Burj Dubai will be what we see an almost exponential growth in. The key in ensuring that urban metropolitan areas do not become functionally gridlocked and aesthetically unappealing is to plan for balance in mixed density projects.
Old May 13th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #848
shrekroma
TH

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:

Btw, a skyline of 3340 Burj Dubais would look quite awesome---is someone here who could make a rendering of such a city?
Starwars.
shrekroma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #849
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2

On closer inspection, I think I can live with just one...

Quote:

Thanks to Burjdubaiskyscraper.com for the render.

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #850
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguyinHtown View Post
there's no way that there are 20+ mechanical floors below the first cladding. I still feel that it's test cladding (even though I've read here that it's been done already)...always must measure twice and cut once
You didn't read what I wrote correctly. Anyway, I'm way past tired of arguing about this. If you think it's test cladding, then test cladding it is. It's always better to go with gut instinct than to believe people with inside knowledge of the situation.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #851
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
as nobody was able to give me an answer i looked it up by myself and calculated it then....

Burj Dubai has enough gross floor area to host room for 6000 permanent residents, if it would be all residential ( without hotel and office)

that means you would need 167 Burj Dubais to host 1 million people or 3340 of these to host a city with 20 million people like Shanghail(off course only the residential part--the offices, schools shopping and so on would have to be built in lowrise and underground facilities).....

Considering that you would be able to put 11 of these on one square Kilometer, when you use 300m*300m for each, you would be able to put the whole population of Shanghai ( 20 million) on an area of 17km by 17 km

Sorry. They already have a solution. Its in Japan called the skycity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYyA2MGWWA
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #852
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

personally i beleive that ALL skyscrapers should have a height limit of 1 mile... because you just dont need a building any taller than that.... 500m is very tall, 1000m is amazingly tall and anoything beyond 1500m is just pointless...

you would need a base about 200m wide to make a building that big probably.

Burj Dubai at 808m is amazing... but it really is just a spectacle.. its not benificial economically, (apart from tourist attraction) you could get as much floor space in a 400m building if designed well...

in 20 or so years skyscrapers of 600-800m shud become commonplace becasue we are seeing the new breed of 500m + skyscrapers following in the mighty burj's footsteps... buildings of 1000m will become center peices for citys... and the tallest will range from 1200-1600m but anythign more than that i cant see happening. =)

just my opinion....
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #853
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

i've just watched all 5 parts of that documentary on the Sky city and its very impressive, i cant see it happening, meybe a half size model... but its very good, the documentary covers the construction of the Taipe 101 very well, and answers alot of questions ive always meaned to ask.... for all u skyscraper fanatics follow that link!! and remember, theres 5 parts to it.

the best part for me was...

THE FUTURE OF SKYSCRAPER CONSTRUCTION (imo)

they use computer automated robotics to build the skyscrapers, its amazing, they've used on it one building in the documentary and its deffinatly the wayforward, 24/7 construction! it jacks itself up and has a roof above it and it all computer controlled. =) deffinatly something i can see happening in dubai in the future.
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #854
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 411

Excellent pictures AltinD.

Mis Blogs

!Somos seres humanos,....! !Nuestras vidas tienen valor!
Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 06:03 AM   #855
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember-To-Ashes View Post
THE FUTURE OF SKYSCRAPER CONSTRUCTION (imo)

they use computer automated robotics to build the skyscrapers, its amazing, they've used on it one building in the documentary and its deffinatly the wayforward, 24/7 construction! it jacks itself up and has a roof above it and it all computer controlled. =) deffinatly something i can see happening in dubai in the future.
The problem with that is that when you're building something that's taller than any other structure ever built, you can't use any other structure to make it. I agree though, it looks like a great system. Only good for maybe 50 floors, though.

Old May 13th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #856
vanhenrik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

i wonder how fast the clading is going to be at burj dubai
end how mutch of the clading alredy arived to the place !
vanhenrik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #857
Alejandrohl3

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember-To-Ashes View Post
personally i beleive that ALL skyscrapers should have a height limit of 1 mile... because you just dont need a building any taller than that.... 500m is very tall, 1000m is amazingly tall and anoything beyond 1500m is just pointless...

in 20 or so years skyscrapers of 600-800m shud become commonplace becasue we are seeing the new breed of 500m + skyscrapers following in the mighty burj's footsteps... buildings of 1000m will become center peices for citys... and the tallest will range from 1200-1600m but anythign more than that i cant see happening. =)

just my opinion....
The main problem of building too high (i.m.o.) is air pressure, your ears would just pop off when riding the elevator. I live at a city 2200 m a.s.l. and when I drive to the beach for hollidays I find that all my shampoo bottles and all those things in the bag are squashed off because of the change in air pressure, imagine that in your ears when riding an elevator 1500 m up or down
Alejandrohl3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #858
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

It's like riding a plane. I'm sure pilots get used to it. I agree, though. At a certain point, enough is enough.

I like the idea of the space elevator, though, and that would be hundreds of kilometers tall.

Old May 13th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #859
Alejandrohl3

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Alloy View Post
It's like riding a plane. I'm sure pilots get used to it. I agree, though. At a certain point, enough is enough.

I like the idea of the space elevator, though, and that would be hundreds of kilometers tall.
How would pilots get used to it if there isn't really any change, when you fly in an airplane you barely feel the change in air pressure because the cabin is pressurized.
Alejandrohl3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #860
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

That's true, but there's a definite pressure change. I dunno, is it a huge change at one mile?