daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #881
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post
maybe the highest floor will have so few floor space that there will be no toilets
They may also consider to have a toiletelevator so that the floors without a permanent one, like the top floor, can call for it

"- oh no! Its down at the first setback, i cant hold myself for that long!"

"peep... Toilet Occupied, approximated waitingtime five minutes"

"- no!!!"

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #882
Ted Ward

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
how many toilets will each floor have? of course different floors have diff number of toilets.
Where does the water go when you flush the worlds highest toilet? How does the water get there in the first place? Does that not interest anyone else?
Ted Ward no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #883
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Not particularly!
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #884
Dr Drums
Best Quality Since 1982

Likes (Received): 1178

It isn´t one of my main worries about this building´s construction
Old May 13th, 2007, 08:06 PM   #885
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

nice work Sky Tower I knew it ... it will be a fantastic building ..but my favorite I have to say that is Al Burj but stiil love this one too...
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #886
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ward View Post
Where does the water go when you flush the worlds highest toilet? How does the water get there in the first place? Does that not interest anyone else?
Burj dubai will have to collect rain water for upper floors toilets.....so u cant flush until the new rainfall comes...which will take forever in the desert..

well...thats part of life if u want a building this tall.
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #887
Galactica
ADC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendolasco View Post
sorry, maybe you can ask also:

- how many meters is it tall?
- when start they cladding?

and you'll find a lot of other intelligent answers
The current hight isn't really important, and they start cladding already.
Galactica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #888
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
I believe there are three toilets in this building....two of them are for women and the other has only one urinal.

Anyway, my father turned up on Thursday evening quite out of the blue with an old friend of his. They met in 1980 when my father opened and ran the South African resort of Sun City (which he ran for 16 years). The guy's name was Duncan McKensie, the developing contractor of Sun City and my father dragged him down 250 miles to see me, saying that I've got to meet him.
After a few drinks we started talking about his recent return from Shanghai, saying that his role there for the last few months was to orchestrate the correction of the 4" lean the SWFC had developed after a large tremor and the difficulties of building skyscrapers foundations on bedrock in a seismic area. He then said that he was off to Dubai next week to start on a new project....but couldn't say what he was doing as it was a secret.
I racked my brains for a few minutes trying to guess what approved building he was working on and my 3rd guess was the Dancing Towers!
His eye's lit up at this point and a wry smile appeared on his face! "How do you know about the Dancing Towers?", he asked. I told him about my passion about construction in Dubai and he was blown away at the level of knowledge I had on various different projects. Luckily I had my PDA phone with me and I showed him a few forums and the DMP website which he found absolutely fascinating. Anyway, after a few more drinks I mentioned the whole interview thing with Adrian Smith, which it turns out he knows very well. It also turned out that he is in constant contact with Mohammed Alabbar and has also met the Sheikh himself on many occasions. I badgered him further to see if he knew what the final height of the BD would be, and he quickly replied with "yes I do, but I couldn't possibly say!"
Desperately now trying to get him drunk enough to let his guard down, he didn't falter with his determination not to say, although later on in the evening he did make me a bet that if I could guess what his favorite architect was, he would tell me the final height of the BD. The only clues I was given is that 'he' was 'British' and that he was envolved in some of the most spectacular achitectural designs in the world.
Anyway researching like mad, I emailed him the answer yesterday and he phoned me this morning, firstly making me swear on my fathers life that I would not disclose the figure with anyone, the height of the Burj Dubai Tower!
Now knowing the height (which was given to me as a +-10m figure, due to the nature of unpredictability) has now become a curse, as knowing and not being able to tell anyone is actually worse than not knowing at all!
So guys, please don't try and ask me the height and put me in an awkward position, but the only thing I can say is it will be much more than 808m and more than 200 floors.
All in all though, those that love this building will NOT be dissapointed!
So....it is true huh they goin to need rain water or the elevator toilet thingy to strecth the building so slim and tall.
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #889
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Skytower, you're a genious again.

If you really know the final height, I support you in keeping Duncan McKensie's trust in you by keeping your word to him. What I do like is your last two sentences from "So guys,......." to the end.

The next changeover point in seeing this "more than 200 floors" issue is when the the concrete reaches the supposed 586m height. It would have to be higher than that I would imagine to support BD in being "much more than 808m."

Lotta fun, lotta fun
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #890
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
I believe there are three toilets in this building....two of them are for women and the other has only one urinal.

Anyway, my father turned up on Thursday evening quite out of the blue with an old friend of his. They met in 1980 when my father opened and ran the South African resort of Sun City (which he ran for 16 years). The guy's name was Duncan McKensie, the developing contractor of Sun City and my father dragged him down 250 miles to see me, saying that I've got to meet him.
After a few drinks we started talking about his recent return from Shanghai, saying that his role there for the last few months was to orchestrate the correction of the 4" lean the SWFC had developed after a large tremor and the difficulties of building skyscrapers foundations on bedrock in a seismic area. He then said that he was off to Dubai next week to start on a new project....but couldn't say what he was doing as it was a secret.
I racked my brains for a few minutes trying to guess what approved building he was working on and my 3rd guess was the Dancing Towers!
His eye's lit up at this point and a wry smile appeared on his face! "How do you know about the Dancing Towers?", he asked. I told him about my passion about construction in Dubai and he was blown away at the level of knowledge I had on various different projects. Luckily I had my PDA phone with me and I showed him a few forums and the DMP website which he found absolutely fascinating. Anyway, after a few more drinks I mentioned the whole interview thing with Adrian Smith, which it turns out he knows very well. It also turned out that he is in constant contact with Mohammed Alabbar and has also met the Sheikh himself on many occasions. I badgered him further to see if he knew what the final height of the BD would be, and he quickly replied with "yes I do, but I couldn't possibly say!"
Desperately now trying to get him drunk enough to let his guard down, he didn't falter with his determination not to say, although later on in the evening he did make me a bet that if I could guess what his favorite architect was, he would tell me the final height of the BD. The only clues I was given is that 'he' was 'British' and that he was envolved in some of the most spectacular achitectural designs in the world.
Anyway researching like mad, I emailed him the answer yesterday and he phoned me this morning, firstly making me swear on my fathers life that I would not disclose the figure with anyone, the height of the Burj Dubai Tower!
Now knowing the height (which was given to me as a +-10m figure, due to the nature of unpredictability) has now become a curse, as knowing and not being able to tell anyone is actually worse than not knowing at all!
So guys, please don't try and ask me the height and put me in an awkward position, but the only thing I can say is it will be much more than 808m and more than 200 floors.
Holy shit! Great story, when is the book coming out?
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #891
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
So....it is true huh they goin to need rain water or the elevator toilet thingy to strecth the building so slim and tall.
Maybe we can import some from your tropical city, and give some sand in exchange
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #892
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
more than 808m and more than 200 floors.
i'll first believe it when the tower is finished
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #893
DocShergar
He's a beauty!

Likes (Received): 6

Sky Tower you are such a teeser Really interesting story

Knowing something as big as this (no pun intended ) is pretty big in it's self!! Good luck in keeping the secret and be careful of those trying to get you drunk!!

P.S. When will the dancing tower start construction?
P.P.S. LOVE the BD Facade
Old May 13th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #894
Vekkis

Sky Tower,

You have changed the height in your site. It´s now same as it is the emaar burj dubai site +3 lvls 4 meter each (lvl124 in the site, lvl126 in the sign at the site). Somethin happened in your calculations or what?
Old May 13th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #895
Sky Tower
BANNED

No, nothing's changed.....just taking the measurement from L1 instead of datum ground....it seems to have confused too many people....this makes it easier to count the floors they can see!

Talking of floors.....I've been playing in the paint today!

Old May 13th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #896
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2

Sky Tower, are you insinuating anything with that image?

By the way... You made that in PAINT? That's skills, there.

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!

Last edited by Mr. Alloy; May 14th, 2007 at 12:02 AM.
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #897
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

MS Paint rocks
And about the height: If it ends only 700m up it would be already great , everything higher is just amazing. We`ll see soon...
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #898
cjrciadt
CFL

First post on the forum, I have been lurking since part26.
To that edited paint edited pic
cjrciadt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #899
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Maybe we can import some from your tropical city, and give some sand in exchange
woah...how come u know so much

anyway, dubai can throw in some oil on top of the rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrciadt View Post
Welcome, lurker.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #900
Sky Tower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrciadt View Post
Welcome friend, Photoshop CS3 rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Alloy
Sky Tower, are you insinuating anything with that image?