daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #81
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Looks like 800m version. Remember that it is farther away than the lighthouse...
yes its definately 800m. Its easy to workout. You can see large plant levels near tier10, which is 390m up of about halfway. Ive scaled that pic from approx grd and then you measure up and its about equal height, thus double 400m. which is 800m.
Also another way to scale is measure the tier12 which is approx 500m up.This is the last "large" floor. before it starts to thin.

and yes this is also 808m. you can tell from tier10 height

also this is 800m too.

CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #82
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Smith fan View Post
i was looking at some old model pic's and i figured out how high this model is
http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2...s/P1010076.JPG
it's not 705m it's actual a 800m
and this one was never a 808m model. it's under 800m
http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2...ityscape-7.jpg
both of those are the shorter version.
notice the lack of spire between the 5th mechanical level and the top of the tower - the blunt tip. Notice also that 2 tiers end at the same point near the top of the spire creating a flat roof this is ONLY present on the 7XXm version - not the 808m version
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #83
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

so CULWULLA are you agreeing with me on this 1 being 808m ?
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #84
CULWULLA

^actuially, ive scaled it more accurate and thats a 750m version they came up with before 808m.
the 12th tier= 507m which is correct but 19th tier or last section before spire= 650m. the tip of spire equals=750m
also the smaller photo also equates to approx 750-765m.

Last edited by CULWULLA; April 26th, 2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #85
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

but this 1 for sure is a 808m
http://www.burjdubaiskyscraper.com/2...ityscape-7.jpg
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #86
CULWULLA

no, i dont think that is either. it works out about 750m-765m.
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:49 AM   #87
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

then has there ever been an actual 808m model before
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #88
iLiR

Likes (Received): 276

Quote:
Amazing skyline.
iLiR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 09:35 AM   #89
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

yes its definately 800m. Its easy to workout. You can see large plant levels near tier10, which is 390m up of about halfway. Ive scaled that pic from approx grd and then you measure up and its about equal height, thus double 400m. which is 800m.
Also another way to scale is measure the tier12 which is approx 500m up.This is the last "large" floor. before it starts to thin.

and yes this is also 808m. you can tell from tier10 height
(see Cul's post for 1st image).

also this is 800m too (see Cul's post for second image).

I'm not so certain they're the same on that one Culwulla. The second shot at the modeling expo place has the top of the spire extended much longer than the stub of the "studio" shot you have in your first photo. The tower also seems much bulkier at the 5th mechanical level in the second shot as well - though I may be off because of the difference in angles / distance away from the model.

Could the first one be 750 meters and the second one be 800+?

I'm not really into the whole height debate but the fact alone that this'll be pushing far into the 700+ meter range is exciting enough! We'll know once it gets there (or doesn't).
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #90
sampras
V

Likes (Received): 1

once it is finished I need to see it

still I'm waiting for more skyscrapers to be build

[ Art 54 ust. 1 KRP "Każdemu zapewnia się wolność wyrażania swoich poglądów oraz pozyskiwania i rozpowszechniania informacji." ]

software is like sex - it is much better when it is free

sampras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #91
Slurms Mackenzie

Pile Caps vs Rafts

[QUOTE=hemelboorder;12842293]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronz View Post

I have always wondered why such a thick raft seems to be necessary for highrises in Dubai. 4 meters of concrete! The only reason I can think of is a very uneven load from the building itself, that needs to be distributed evenly across the piles.
But still I know of no other building elsewhere that has such a thick concrete floor. Does anyone have an explanation?
It's not a raft...it's a pile cap. It's virtually impossible to get piles located to an accuracy of more than a few hundred millimetres (in plan), so the pile cap acts as a transfer structure to spread the column/wall loads out to the wherever the piles end up being located. It also forces the piles to act as a group, rather than individually, which is essential in achieving adequate performance from the footing system.

A raft is something totally different... it is a type of footing structure used to spread loads out for direct application to the soil/rock on which the structure is founded. If you have piles under it, it's almost certainly not acting as a raft.

I'm currently designing the footing system for a 350m twin tower development in South Korea and it is a 2m thick raft sitting directly on bedrock. This is because the basement is going to be excavated below bedrock level. But at another location in the development, the basement is above bedrock level, so we bore the piles down to bedrock and then build a pile-cap structure at the bottom basement level to transfer the column loads to the piles. So this describes two completely different structural systems performing completely different functions.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #92
Slurms Mackenzie

Pile Caps vs Rafts

I forgot to mention that piles can generally use one of two ways to resist vertical loads: either end bearing or skin friction (or both). The choice between the two will be determined by the soil properties and the distance to bedrock. But regardless, the use of pile caps is essential, even if only for construction tolerance. The size of the pile cap has very little to do with the soil properties...it is essentially a function of the size/nature of the applied loads and the span between piles.
Slurms Mackenzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #93
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
so CULWULLA are you agreeing with me on this 1 being 808m ?
sorry, yeah, think that's an 808m version... as you say the 4th plant level is near the middle. It's also got the very tapered top (the other ones are much blunter at the top).
What's odd about this one is somewhere around tier 20 - there's a almost flat roof above the top of the concrete... i thought on the 808m that all sides spiral - that no two sides have the same roof line...
but yeah - that's a model of an 808m aprox version for sure.
It looks very similar to those schematics I found online and posted about 4 months back now.
I wonder how many of the press have picked up on this thread for their height source of 808m - and that document is pretty much proof that even if they make it shorter they HAVE planned for 808metres.

808m is a good height - it's 2m more than half a mile.
It's 300m more than Taipei 101.
8's are lucky numbers in asia (and some other countries). Nick Leeson who brought down Bearings bank names the account for swindling 88888 account - but it proved not to be lucky when he lost $1bn+ and caused the company to collapse and be sold for $1.
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #94
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

LOL I just threw a bait for AS Fan (knowing his Aqile's heel), and I got many more fishes instead.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #95
Library User

Trying to figure out the elevator system in the BD. We have heard about 2 lifts for the observatory, the fireman's lift and one in the spire. Since the article last year about the elevator contract says there are 58 elevators and 8 escalators, that leaves over 50 that we have not seen described. For the people who will live and work at the BD every day, how will they get up and down to their offices, apartments or hotel rooms ?

Looking at the Armani diagram for the hotel floor we see 19 shafts, plus a few more can be seen on the small plan views on the SOM cross section diagram that is seen on Wikipedia.

Does the total of 58 include elevators in other locations outside of the tower ?

We have not seen a diagram of the entrance level lobby - or is there more than one level ?
Library User no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #96
delphi7x10

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
there's not 27 tiers, there's 26. and now looking at the original plan i thing there going to build the 700m verizon. but that's just me
And the toilet seat is back down, but not to worry it will be back up by the end of the week.
delphi7x10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #97
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlepeakoil View Post
sorry, yeah, think that's an 808m version... as you say the 4th plant level is near the middle. It's also got the very tapered top (the other ones are much blunter at the top).
What's odd about this one is somewhere around tier 20 - there's a almost flat roof above the top of the concrete... i thought on the 808m that all sides spiral - that no two sides have the same roof line...
but yeah - that's a model of an 808m aprox version for sure.
It looks very similar to those schematics I found online and posted about 4 months back now.
I wonder how many of the press have picked up on this thread for their height source of 808m - and that document is pretty much proof that even if they make it shorter they HAVE planned for 808metres.

808m is a good height - it's 2m more than half a mile.
It's 300m more than Taipei 101.
8's are lucky numbers in asia (and some other countries). Nick Leeson who brought down Bearings bank names the account for swindling 88888 account - but it proved not to be lucky when he lost $1bn+ and caused the company to collapse and be sold for $1.
CULWULLA said it wasnt a 808m, more like a 750m. but it really looks like a 800m+
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #98
AltinD
The Modecator

Let me quote myself again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
LOL, I just threw a bait for AS Fan (knowing his Aquile's heel), and I cought many more fishes instead.
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #99
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

Duno what all the fuss is about, doesnt really matter what ssize the models are as they have been around ages and futher changes will only be made to the steel section of the building if they are making it taller.
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #100
AltinD
The Modecator

Exactly what I was saying.

I knew Adrian Smith Fan's obsession for endlessly scrutinizing for height every random render or model thrown in here, so I quoted him but I didn't predict that many others would fell for it and discuss for 2 entire pages.