daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #101
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

Dubai, is CCCCCCRRRRRAAAZZZY!!!!
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #102
sampras
V

Likes (Received): 1

dubaimegaprojects.com reported an estimated final height of 1,011 metres (3,317 ft.) and a floor count of 216 floors

is it old info?
or brad new one?

>> just came across this thread, so I might be uninformed :]
>> U all R saying 808m is the concept 4 today

[ Art 54 ust. 1 KRP "Każdemu zapewnia się wolność wyrażania swoich poglądów oraz pozyskiwania i rozpowszechniania informacji." ]

software is like sex - it is much better when it is free

sampras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #103
pendolasco

Likes (Received): 50

please stop boring us ....
Imre...where are you?
pendolasco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #104
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

dubaimegaprojects.com has the answers to that interview with adrian smithc up

only real news is that they confirmed it will have 160 occupied floors. so current status is heading for 808m.
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #105
Ember-To-Ashes

doublt post.. sorry. might as well add sumin..

stop speculating becuase there is no need to, u are just going round and round in circles and getting nowhere. just comment on the current progress of the project id say
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #106
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember-To-Ashes View Post
dubaimegaprojects.com has the answers to that interview with adrian smithc up

only real news is that they confirmed it will have 160 occupied floors. so current status is heading for 808m.
just because he said it will have 160 occupied floors, doesnt mean there going for 808m. but for a sure thing it's not going to be 700m .

Last edited by Adrian Smith fan; April 26th, 2007 at 11:37 PM.
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #107
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampras View Post
dubaimegaprojects.com reported an estimated final height of 1,011 metres (3,317 ft.) and a floor count of 216 floors

is it old info?
or brad new one?

>> just came across this thread, so I might be uninformed :]
>> U all R saying 808m is the concept 4 today
that is no official information. and believe me: it'll never reach 1000m
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #108
Ember-To-Ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Smith fan View Post
just because he said it will have 160 occupied floors, doesnt mean there going for 808m. but for a sure thing it's not going to be 700m .
obviously.. but its HEADING that way, as i said.
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:33 AM   #109
Shahid

Likes (Received): 101

no way gonna be 1000m

Burj Dubai is almost getting thiner and thiner now.
Shahid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #110
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Adrian Smith's exclusive interview update!
April 26th 2007 - Interview with Adrian Smith, of Adrian Smith & Gordon Gill Architecture - By Sky Tower

Original emailed questions response - 19:48hrs GMT - 2007/4/26

1) Since construction started in January 2004, how many design changes have been implemented during construction and how many of those have had an impact on the final height of the building?

"Only one major change and this was when the foundations were just starting to go in.We changed the height from 700m to "something taller" but more importantly, we got the top right! The earlier design had missing steps in it and it was not resolved. We were able to correct it in time to increase foundations to take on extra load".

2) There have been sources close to the project that I'm in contact with personally from Besix that are stating that as of November 2006, the Burj Dubai Tower is currently in its 7th design configuration since its inception as the 560m Grollo Tower and the 5th major re-design since construction began. Can you confirm that this is true?

"It depends on what you call design configuration. To me and to the client there were a number of design ideas that we were "looking at" before we decided on the final scheme. All were similar and most were done for the purpose of seeing how short the project could be and still be the worlds tallest and feel right. In my opinion and that of Mohammad Al Abbar's we were not happy until we arrived at the current scheme, so basically none of the other drawings that you have seen were ever regarded as final but were used because they were the best we had at the time to show for preliminary marketing purposes. You must understand that design is a process and that a project this complex and large has a number of variables that come into play and interact with each other and a final answer doesn't just appear. One variable is played off against the other until the right solution is obtained for both. Sometimes this takes months to resolve."

3) Understanding that SOM's stance is that the final height will remain undisclosed, are you aware of the official EMAAR PowerPoint presentation file floating around the internet, which was shown at a tall buildings convention in October 2005, with the widely regarded 808m version of the Burj Dubai Tower released to the public? Since this date, Greg Sang has publicly announced that a recent design change has given the pinnacle a more slender, less abrupt ending, inferring that indeed the tower has been raised taller than the previous design, are you able to confirm that this is the case?

"Everyone can guess about what the final height will be, but the truth is that no one really knows what the final height will be until the tower cranes come down...not me, not the Chairman, not the contractor."

4) Given that the competing and approved Al Burj Tower is set for groundbreaking later this year, with Nakheel officials having recently quoted that their 3rd major re-design has been watered down from a massive 1600m tall to 'ONLY' 1200m in height, will the BD's only real pipeline and approved competitor still realistically be a target to beat?

"We never intended for the Burj Dubai to be the tallest for long. However, there will be many attempts to top it that will not make it off the drawing boards because to do so in this economic climate will be to lose money - lots of it. Construction costs have increased dramatically since BD was bought. My guess is that Nakheel will not start until something else that is taller than Burj Dubai outside the country does and then Nakheel will build taller than that one so that Dubai can maintain the title. Remember that Sheikh Mohammad owns all of Nakheel and controls what gets built in Dubai. Why build taller until you need to."

5) Can you confirm that the foundations set in place for the BD's construction could only support a structure of no more than 950m?

"No Comment."

6) If this 950m limit is true, what would be the limiting factors? (mass, torsional stability, windload, lateral strength etc?)

"No Comment."

7) Is there in fact a final height set in place or are there different heights that can be implemented at different key stages during construction dependant on the performance of the current constructed structure, which will keep the final pinnacle height a fluid number not actually set yet?

Referred to question #3

8) A Besix design house member has inferred that a height of 1011m has not only been a consideration, but is being built, creating the worlds first 1km tower!

From it's current constructed status, I and other designers have come up with some very plausible 1km versions of the building ourselves without losing any of its proportion, with a continuation of another round of concrete setbacks before the steel pinnacle is erected. Have heights of this magnitude ever been considered for this site?

"Yes!"

9) From official presentations found in multiple locations from multiple official sources involved with this development, floor layouts for an 808m version of the tower have always shown 162 useable floors, before the unusable spaces within the top half of the towers pinnacle. In your new book, there is clearly a schematic drawing of a level 171, with 2 of the 3 setbacks to continue climbing many more floors above, indicating that the deliberately orchestrated release of an 808m Tower is in fact an old version, with a newer version being considerably taller. Will SOM now confirm that the tower will have considerably more than 171 floors, whilst retaining the floor count as a guarded secret?

"Unless it changes from this point on, there are approximately 160 "occupied" floors in the Burj Dubai. The others are for maintenance, window washing etc."

10) Why won't SOM retract it's old stance of 'above 700m' and now say 'above 850m or 900m' increasing the inevitable frenzy that would ensue, which would increase the interest of a tower you'd surely like the world to know more about, whilst allowing SOM to still keep it's final height a mystery?

"SOM is no longer engaged in the project except with field personnel. The project has transferred to Noor and Hyder who will be the Architect/Engineer of Record."

11) All official SOM statements so far have said that the originally planned completion date will continue to make the end of 2008 deadline!

On the official SOM website, the completion date has been changed recently to the end of 2009.

After denying that the curtain walling delay will hold up construction, stating that procedures are in place to catch up lost cladding time, which has no impact on construction progress, is the delay of the cladding an impact on this year long setback, or is the delay a new deadline brought on by changes to construction regarding its recent height change?

"I think the project will be complete sometime in the middle of 2009. As of this writing, we think the cranes will come down in March or April of 2009. It is a fluid issue to some extent. Exterior wall is late but I am told that they will have some wall on site in June and if the wall fabricator can furnish a good portion of wall, it can go up fast since all of the inserts are in place for most of the existing floors."

12) Both EMAAR, Besix and SOM show an elongated, stretched version of the 705m design that now equates to the later 808m version, which is actually the same render literally stretched to uphold the 808m design. Will SOM actually release an up to date version that accurately pertains to the correct setbacks with its new pinnacle configuration to indicate what the final/latest design will actually look like upon completion?

"See the cover of my new monograph for an accurate drawing of the elevation of Burj Dubai."

13) Do the powers that be (designers and public relations) monitor the worldwide construction forums as a guide to how the tower is perceived by those most passionate about this build, and what do they make of the hysteria that has been created by having the height remain a closely guarded secret?

"I am sure there is someone who follows the hype it is getting and part of the strategy for keeping the height secret is to keep people guessing - thus keeping it in the news."

14) What is the primary reason for keeping the height a secret? Is it more to do with PR and inevitable public intrigue, or more to keep competitors guessing to ensure that the BD Tower completes and retains its title of World Tallest Building for as long as possible?

"Both!"

15) Aerodynamicists and engineers testing the on site and model data have announced that the results have been sufficiently good enough to warrant an increase in design height, part way through construction. Can you confirm this great news?

"This was done when we made the major change in height during the foundation construction. The Discovery Channel article was wrong when they said we changed the height when the contractors were at the 35th floor."

16) Hypothetically, if time and money where no issue, given the level of construction now, what would be the maximum possible height attainable before eating into pre-defined safety margins?

"No comment."

17) What new innovations and materials are being used for the first time on this record breaking structure?

"A major condensation collection system to recapture the condensation (fresh water from the air) is an innovation not used on any other building that I know of. There are several innovative construction techniques. The use of wind tunnel analysis in conjunction with building massing design and orientation has not been done to this extent previously."

18) EMAAR are releasing current construction updates on their official website. It seems that heights are being taken from L1 to the last completed floor. Can you confirm that true ground level (datum point) is actually lower than L1 (and by how much) and why construction update heights aren't measured to the top of current construction? Is this a way of artificially lowering the current height status during construction to keep the rivals guessing by having a inaccurate formulaic matrix, if the true current height and floorcount weren't known?

"No comment"

19) Finally, there are many hundreds of die hard Burj Dubai enthusiasts, that have shown a huge amount of study and insight during the whole construction process across two extremely large construction forums. These dedicated individuals have had the trauma of not knowing the final height of this amazing building. For these dedicated individuals who have inadvertently been spreading the good word of the Burj Dubai Tower around the world, what new untold information can you release for these good people, that will satisfy their hunger to know more intricate details and updates of this amazing structure of a lifetime, to keep our great forums buzzing for another week of passionate and informed discussions?

"I hope that the candid answers above will help feed those interested in Burj Dubai. I appreciate all the interest you have shown and I have attempted to document what I know in the 80 pages of my Monograph that shows Burj in some depth."
Regards,

Adrian Smith
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #111
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

hmm, i wonder how much when he said "We changed the height from 700m to "something taller" . this is going to drive me crazy til it gets finished.
and i dont buy this no one really knows what the final height will be until the tower cranes come down...not me, not the Chairman, not the contractor."

Last edited by Adrian Smith fan; April 27th, 2007 at 03:58 AM.
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #112
Sidekicker

Likes (Received): 0

can anyone get pictures from inside the burj yet?
Sidekicker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:55 AM   #113
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10143

interesting interview. Mr Smith is playing his cards close to his chest.
thanks
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #114
dettol
Logarithm

A HUGE thank you to Sky Tower for the effort and determination you have shown in bringing these amazing details to the worlds skyscraper community!!!

Your THE MAN!!
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:19 AM   #115
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

"12) Both EMAAR, Besix and SOM show an elongated, stretched version of the 705m design that now equates to the later 808m version, which is actually the same render literally stretched to uphold the 808m design. Will SOM actually release an up to date version that accurately pertains to the correct setbacks with its new pinnacle configuration to indicate what the final/latest design will actually look like upon completion?

"See the cover of my new monograph for an accurate drawing of the elevation of Burj Dubai.""

Which one is that?
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 07:46 AM   #116
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Thanks very much Sky Tower for the interview info! Though we don't get any new hard facts about height, it does lend some insight into the development of this great structure. MetalliTool, I'm sure Smith meant basically the cover of his new book. It has a black cover and is titled "The Architecture of Adrian Smith, SOM".

Here's a link for you: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...64701692&itm=7

I gotta get my hands on this too at some point .
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #117
E -zone ³
ciudades invisibles

Likes (Received): 24

should had given him a link here so he laughs a bit about all the hard guessin` :P lol
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #118
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Thanks for posting Sky Tower.

No idea about the height, but can guestimate when the cranes will come down....hrmm.

Anyway, thanks
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #119
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenico View Post
A HUGE thank you to Sky Tower for the effort and determination you have shown in bringing these amazing details to the worlds skyscraper community!!!

Your THE MAN!!

Yes, cheers to Skytower. Good job in asking the questions but as Culwulla mentioned, Smith is playing his cards closely.

The answer to question 9 about 160 floors? A politician's answer that gives absolutely no indication of how tall this building will finally be. It could have 160 floors or 200. We don't know because Smith didn't actually say. If anybody here still holds on to a height of 808m, Smith the politician is giving you a banana ride.
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #120
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

Interesting interview ....but he keept us..still wondering ... i'm starting to get dizzy..with all this uncertitude....thanx Sky Tower great effort i appretiate it ..good job
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote