daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #1281
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

It's like talking to a brick wall.....
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #1282
anthony99

Likes (Received): 0

skytower knows the true height of the tower "apparently"

and then straight after posts a render 900+m ...was he dropping a hint!

or he's just winding us up!
anthony99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM   #1283
Doobedoobai
Looking for world records

Likes (Received): 0

Aha, that's nice Sky Tower, finally an update again on the height!

May 20th 2007 - Level 131 - Height 474.65m
Doobedoobai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #1284
Sky Tower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony99 View Post
skytower knows the true height of the tower "apparently"

and then straight after posts a render 900+m ...was he dropping a hint!

or he's just winding us up!
Old May 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #1285
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
916 m?
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #1286
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
Burj Dubai

Creating the tallest man-made structure in history is not only a commercially driven decision – it sends a message to the world that you mean business when it comes to thinking big. But ever since it was announced that the Burj Dubai would break a string of height-related construction records, the precise details have been shrouded in mystery. Matt Slater attempts to separate fact from fiction when it comes to why the Burj Dubai was built, whether it will be completed on time, if it will stand the test of time and just how high it will be.

When it comes to putting a figure on the eventual height of the Burj Dubai, those claiming to have insider knowledge will, with great authority, state the building will eventually rise to the jaw-dropping height of 808 metres. It is a number that has been in hundreds of reports in the past 12 months, but the truth is that hardly anyone knows the exact figure. And if you try asking staff at the Burj Dubai sales centre or anyone working on the site, their answer will almost always be the same: ‘We just don’t know’.

But one man who does know is Greg Sang – project manager of Burj Dubai – and when Time Out spoke to him in the shadow of the already 448.1 metre-high business and residential tower he was willing to give us the latest – and was quick to play down the hype.

Right, come on then, how big is it going to be? 808metres I believe?

I don’t know where that figure came from. This is what I can tell you – it is going to be higher than 700 metres.

Definitely not above 800 metres then? So, how about 707 metres, or maybe 777m?

It is going to be taller than 700m. The decision has not been taken on when we will reveal the exact height. I have told you that much and that is all I can say.

According to a lot of reports it is only going to be the tallest in the world for a few weeks. Will you have to keep adding bits on the top to keep up with the opposition?

You hear that buildings are being built in places like Kuwait, Bahrain and elsewhere that are going to be the tallest, but has work started on any of them yet? You can look at the Burj Dubai and see it is getting taller all the time. When we are finished, Burj Dubai will hold several official records such as the tallest freestanding structure in the world – you can count on that.

What is the point in building the Burj Dubai? Is it an ego thing?

There are several reasons, and, of course, one objective is to create the tallest building on the planet. But the company has shareholders and so it has to be profitable. It is a mainly residential building and so it will be a spectacular place to live. It has not just been built to create records – that is one thing a lot of people get wrong. Also we see it as the focal point of the whole Downtown Dubai area, which will have hotels, offices, a shopping mall and other residential areas.

In the past couple of years Dubai has been hit by some fairly sizeable aftershocks from Iranian earthquakes, and the UAE authorities have set up a centre dedicated to monitoring tremors. Is there a chance the Burj Dubai will come crashing down?

This is something that does need clearing up. It is actually the case that smaller buildings are more at risk if an earthquake happens. It is all to do with what we call the frequency. If you imagine a block on top of rows of marble, the taller the block is the more rigid it is. The Burj Dubai is very, very safe.

How about other factors? When you are building at such a height then the weather must be an issue?

We would never just carry on working regardless. If the winds become too strong, then we shut down. In that case we will just have to work harder to meet deadlines. When people speculate about problems we have had or difficulties in the future, then they usually miss the things that are true. For example, there is only one way on and one way out to transport material up the tower and that does create a problem. This project is a big challenge – but in the end we will prove all of the doubters wrong. This year we had to contend with a delay in getting work on the cladding of the Burj Dubai started but we are getting back on track and it will not delay us from the completion date we have now set.

A lot of people have bought homes in the Burj Dubai, and in the past the completion date has been changed? Do you have a final date now and will they be ready on time? Also, when will you officially beat the current height record?

In terms of taking the record then we are saying it will be September this year, and I am sure there will be some sort of event to recognise that achievement. The date for finishing the building is the end of 2008. There are people saying that will not happen, but we will do it.

Will people be moving in at the end of 2008? I am 100 per cent confident that they will.

Mine’s bigger than yours

When it comes to topping the records that will be set by Burj Dubai there are three contenders lining up – and all are in the Middle East. Both Bahrain and Kuwait say they will be taking a shot at building a taller structure than the Burj Dubai, but as of yet work has not started – although rumour has it that ground will be broken in Kuwait with an aim to go past the 1000m mark.

However, the main challenger looks likely to rise up just a few miles from the Burj Dubai site. Nakheel confirmed to Time Out that it is going to build a super structure somewhere in the city that will be ‘very tall’, but refused to comment on what exactly that means. ‘At this stage, we can say that the project will go ahead, although the location has yet to be confirmed,’ says a spokesman for the company. ‘Anything to do with height cannot be discussed at this stage, although we will be making an announcement when the site is decided.’

Source:Time Out
People will be moving in, that doesnt mean the building (s topfloors) will be finished of course.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #1287
Imre
Dubai

Likes (Received): 315

2008 is impossible...
Imre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #1288
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

well, usually the lower floors are already able for being used, when the top is still uc.

So they could mean that, while the hotel and the top of the building is still uc some appartments might be ready for use.

WTC in NY was also already in use, while the top floors were still fited out, at least the lowest 20 floors
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #1289
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

I think that this building is gonna get 818 Meters tall.
My question is: How tall is BD gonna be in your opinion?? (ranging from 705-1011 Meters)

Sorry for this oftopic question: When did this site started?? how old is it??
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #1290
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

i think it's going for 808m
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #1291
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

when you believe the interview, then there was never an 808m figure. so why do you think it'll be exact 808m tall?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1292
Escoto_Dubai2008
Dubai, 21st Century City

Likes (Received): 411

Excellent night shots, Burj Dubai looks amazing at night even with no cladding.

Mis Blogs

!Somos seres humanos,....! !Nuestras vidas tienen valor!
Escoto_Dubai2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #1293
Sky Tower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre View Post
916 m?
I love the way 916 reads the same way upside down! At least one of the digits is right anyway!
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #1294
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Smith fan View Post
i think it's going for 808m
I'd be a little disappointed if it wasn't that tall. Going from a just-over half-kilometer record to a just-over half-mile record would be stunning.

I wouldn't mind a few extra meters, though. However, if they're just going to tack on more spire, I'd prefer it to be just 808. I think huge spires are crap, unless they really add to the beauty of the project.

(Or Dec. 30, 2008. Whatev.)

Guess the final height of the Burj Dubai and get a shiny plaque!
Mr. Alloy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #1295
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Quote:
I love the way 916 reads the same way upside down! At least one of the digits is right anyway!
Umm... 746? 812? 920?

Old May 20th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1296
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Likes (Received): 1

600m is already very tall..n now we are talking about at least 700m...since when did the last skyscraper surpass the previous record by more than 100m?
pple r getting greedy nowadays
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:08 AM   #1297
Skymyhusband
French dwarf

Likes (Received): 60

Those are numbers only.

A 700m. free standing structure is a thing never seen before, and it will be very, very impressive, not to talk about 800m. or higher.

So, wait and see...
Skymyhusband no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:12 AM   #1298
Mr. Alloy
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post
600m is already very tall..n now we are talking about at least 700m...since when did the last skyscraper surpass the previous record by more than 100m?
pple r getting greedy nowadays
Once. By roof height, anyway.

Old May 21st, 2007, 12:13 AM   #1299
Sentinel
Centinela

Likes (Received): 11439

Quote:
at least one... or just one?
Sentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:29 AM   #1300
Sky Tower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Alloy View Post
Umm... 746? 812? 920?
No, no and erm...no! Who said it had only 3 digits anyway?