daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #121
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Thanks a thousand for that interview skytower

Interesting statement on the Al Burj by Adrian Smith. I believe he's got a very good point, and we may actually see an Al burj shorter than Burj Dubai get built. They have already planned it as a central piece of the waterfront, but is building higher than Burj Dubai still probable? They ay very well settle with less (height).

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]

Last edited by Alle; April 27th, 2007 at 02:53 PM.
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #122
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKing View Post
Thanks a thousand for that interview skytower

Interesting statement on the Al Burj by Adrian Smith. I believe he's got a very good point, and we may actually see an Al burj shorter than Burj Dubai get built. They have already planned it as a central piece of the waterfront, but is building higher than Burj Dubai still probable? They ay very well settle with less (height).
at what point in his interview did u infer that they r gonna build Al burj shorter,he just said that nakheel r gonna wait till something else taller than burj dubai comes up,then they will raise the stakes even higher with Al burj,meaning we could very well see a much higher Al burj rather than a shorter one since sheikh Mo has a controlling interest in both NAKHEEL and EMAAR.
cyborg81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #123
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

sorry double post
cyborg81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #124
googlepeakoil

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Smith fan View Post
hmm, i wonder how much when he said "We changed the height from 700m to "something taller" . this is going to drive me crazy til it gets finished.
and i dont buy this no one really knows what the final height will be until the tower cranes come down...not me, not the Chairman, not the contractor."
great questions... but...
I wanted to see ANOTHER question... on a subject that has dissapointed a lot of people on this forum. The height of the public observatioin deck!
Q1. Why was the observation deck moved from floor 140? down to only 119 - a height that puts it at the same height as the one in Sears Tower and Shanghai's WFC. Surely visitors won't be happy to know it's only just past halfway up the height of the building if the 808m rumour is true.
Q2. Will there be a higher observation deck on a higher floor in a similar way to the fact that other towers such as Eiffel Tower and Tokyo Tower have a "premium" deck... if not, why not?
googlepeakoil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #125
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10146

^actually, at lev124 or 442m, BurjD ob deck is as high as CN Towers Skypod (447m) and 30m higher then Sears towers lev104 ob deck which is 412m high.
I think SWFCs ob deck will be highest? 470m? ICC? 450m?
so 442m isnt too bad. It actually hasnt reached that height yet, so its more then enough to view from i reckon. Maybe there will be a "premium" deck for VIp at 600m etc?
Burj Dubais ob deck on tier 11 is quite large and its about size of Sears towers AND it has an outdoor area to boot! just imagine looking down 442m BUT also looking back up at 400m as well? just amazing.

level 124 ob deck>
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/174...parisonms0.jpg

view from current highest ob deck being 447m Skypod in CN Tower.

looking down on 300m skyscrapers

http://k43.pbase.com/o4/44/546244/1/....DSC15810W.jpg

SWFC will have highest deck?
lev94 observation bridge or lev100 470m

Last edited by CULWULLA; April 27th, 2007 at 05:18 PM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #126
delphi7x10

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000 View Post
Yes, cheers to Skytower. Good job in asking the questions but as Culwulla mentioned, Smith is playing his cards closely.

The answer to question 9 about 160 floors? A politician's answer that gives absolutely no indication of how tall this building will finally be. It could have 160 floors or 200. We don't know because Smith didn't actually say. If anybody here still holds on to a height of 808m, Smith the politician is giving you a banana ride.
Well, true he did not give an exact floor count but, when I worked on some software once for a complex occupied meant any floor from which revenue was brought in. So besides the floor he mentioned, take out lobbies, concourse levels, oberservation deck levels, and you have a lot of extra floors. We know concrete goes to at least 150 plus levels, but when you remove all the above floors, they may only see it as 130 more or less.
Another big thing he said was "no comment" on the 950 meter limit of foundation, since most of the comments here about going higher have used this as reason, why it won't, or can't who knows, perhaps that number has no bearing.

As to no one knows the final height, I believe him, They said long long time ago, that they could adjust it when they got up to around level 150.

So with all this being said, lets stop all the endless pages of speculation, and just wait and see. I think we will all be happy with what ever it ends up, and some of us will be pleasantly surprised.
delphi7x10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #127
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

thank you SkyTower, great interview
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #128
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

what does Adrian smith mean by " See the cover of my new monograph for an "accurate drawing of the elevation of Burj Dubai."
is he talking about the a accurate height ?
if so already have the book of Adrian Smith, and i closely looked at it. and scaled it down and it does show it going for 800m+

Last edited by Adrian Smith fan; April 27th, 2007 at 09:23 PM.
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #129
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg81 View Post
at what point in his interview did u infer that they r gonna build Al burj shorter,he just said that nakheel r gonna wait till something else taller than burj dubai comes up,then they will raise the stakes even higher with Al burj,meaning we could very well see a much higher Al burj rather than a shorter one since sheikh Mo has a controlling interest in both NAKHEEL and EMAAR.
Yes they may build a higher building than Burj Dubai later. It was just my own conclusions, becouse they cannot wait with Al Burj until later, its important for the waterfrontdevelopement. So if they are going to wait until they decide if they want to build something higher than BD. Then Al Burj is not going to be that, becouse it is planned to be built relatively soon.

Im not saying it will not be higher, it certainly can. But it should not be taken for granted.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #130
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3405

It`s difficult to take night pics of the Burj Dubai.
Here is my first night pic of the Burj Dubai during my trip.
[IMG]http://i16.************/2i9k0h0.jpg[/IMG]

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #131
the Monkey's Uncle

Likes (Received): 0

I find it very strange that they aren't putting the observation deck farther up. I have a suspicion that this is one of their little secrets, and that they are actually planning to put it up much higher. After all, what's the point of putting it up only 1/2 of the way up such a massive building?

Space constraints, perhaps? Couldn't they just make it take up two floors if they need more floor space in the higher sections of the tower? It's not like the business of observation isn't lucrative. For example, look at how well the CN Tower has done: it makes TONS of money off people simply wanting to stand at the highest man-made platform in the world and look down! (great view btw )

Great pic BTW Tom

Last edited by the Monkey's Uncle; April 28th, 2007 at 12:45 AM.
the Monkey's Uncle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #132
Garfieldfan

Likes (Received): 2

Great! Now we have some pics!
Garfieldfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #133
pendolasco

Likes (Received): 50

there are buildings tall and buildings awesome...this is both
sears is ugly
101 is the same
al burj is awful

only one can challenge: Chicago Spire

night pic is awesome...please give us an hd link!
pendolasco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #134
mightygoose

Likes (Received): 10

right you budding analysts out there here is a question for you. cranes come down in april or march 09 so can anyone get any realistic estimates for maximum possible height acheivable in that time at current rate of construction.... could this be modified to include any rate of slow in construction of floors with height......
mightygoose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #135
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

Wow that sky bridge looks impressive!!!
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #136
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

omg that's fast construction and its already tall as the roof of the sears tower! its scary to see a tower being that tall!
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #137
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphi7x10 View Post
Well, true he did not give an exact floor count but, when I worked on some software once for a complex occupied meant any floor from which revenue was brought in. So besides the floor he mentioned, take out lobbies, concourse levels, oberservation deck levels, and you have a lot of extra floors. We know concrete goes to at least 150 plus levels, but when you remove all the above floors, they may only see it as 130 more or less.
Another big thing he said was "no comment" on the 950 meter limit of foundation, since most of the comments here about going higher have used this as reason, why it won't, or can't who knows, perhaps that number has no bearing.

As to no one knows the final height, I believe him, They said long long time ago, that they could adjust it when they got up to around level 150.

So with all this being said, lets stop all the endless pages of speculation, and just wait and see. I think we will all be happy with what ever it ends up, and some of us will be pleasantly surprised.
Good response delphi.

I think a wait and see approach to this is the only way to go. No matter what however, BD will be an awesome building when completed.
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #138
dettol
Logarithm

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightygoose View Post
right you budding analysts out there here is a question for you. cranes come down in april or march 09 so can anyone get any realistic estimates for maximum possible height acheivable in that time at current rate of construction.... could this be modified to include any rate of slow in construction of floors with height......
Good idea goose but there are simply to many things to factor in to make a reasonable guestimate as to the completion date dependant on the height they are wanting to achieve.
dettol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #139
Ember-To-Ashes

Likes (Received): 7

has anyone noticed that burjdubaiskyscraper.com has a few "new" pics up and a video? its been there since yeterday no ones posted it i think. althought i dont think the picture are That new..
Ember-To-Ashes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #140
joobn

Likes (Received): 2

Took this photo 28th April
joobn no está en línea   Reply With Quote