daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:43 PM   #1561
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

OK, so now we have a thread full of people arguing about grammar, and Japanese and Koreans yelling at each other. Come one guys, don't ruin this thread.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:45 PM   #1562
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami View Post
oh men! what have you been smoking? grrrrrr!!!!!
Welcome to the SSC forums!!
Have a good time posting here

No i didnt smoked pot if that is what you mean.

Sky-Tower i am amased that you are suprised that this thing is propably reaching the 818 Meters instead off the 1011 Meters thing we thought you were hiding from us!!
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:47 PM   #1563
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

sorry james it wasnt for you... it was for FT!
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM   #1564
Fox-Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Hawkwood View Post
The Sampoon superstore collapsed because the owners/managers wanted to make the collumns thinner (for estatic reasons) reducing the lift capacity.
And they added a 5th floor without strengthening the collumns and installed floor heating and heavy kitchen equipment there to make the 5th floor a restaurant floor that was top heavy.

And they dragged the airco acros the roof to a new location after complains from the neighbours.

That was the cause off the collapse: faulty design off the building and misscalculations....
Quote:
Everyone wants that ZZ-II

Hopefully the full 1011 Meters what Sky-Tower is propably hiding from us!!

But we must consider that this monstrosety, iff increased height to 1011 meters. Is actualy beating his advesary: The tower in Silk City in Kuwait
and stays on power

This thing once started as a "simple" 560 Meters building to the next generation superskyscrapers off heights where the public isnt even thinking about.
The public still thinks in terms off 400-500 Meters + and this building is in the order off 800-1000 Meters. That is twice the height what the public has in mind off recordbeating superscrapers!!!!!

Cheers:
Yes, the Sampoon superstore collapsed partly because it added another floor.
What will happen if they add more floors to Burj Dubai?

I am sure all of you can imagine the result after those past "performance" by Korean constructors.
Fox-Tale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:56 PM   #1565
whoami

Likes (Received): 8

FT, youre sour grape, your mori tower is sinking!
whoami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:04 PM   #1566
Sky Tower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Welcome to the SSC forums!!
Have a good time posting here

No i didnt smoked pot if that is what you mean.

Sky-Tower i am amased that you are suprised that this thing is propably reaching the 818 Meters instead off the 1011 Meters thing we thought you were hiding from us!!
I'm never surprised by anything....nor is it anymore probable than any of the other height graphics we've seen over the years.....it's interesting though as I've never seen that graphic before nor heard of 818m been thrown around.

The simple fact is....regardless of what I say or what I've been told, nobody really knows (including me) what the height will be, until it is what it is!
Sky Tower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:04 PM   #1567
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox-Tale View Post
Yes, the Sampoon superstore collapsed partly because it added another floor.
What will happen if they add more floors to Burj Dubai?

I am sure all of you can imagine the result after those past "performance" by Korean constructors.
They compensate the load increases by making the concrete stronger and improving the foundations and make collumns stronger just like in the BD documentary

It is only partialy made by Samsung btw
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1568
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Accidents happen, and when they do it's an individual who's to blame. The "Koreans" are not at fault. Probably part of the reason for Samsung's thievery is that South Korea is not exactly a free market. It's very heavily regulated by the government and the ties between business and state over there make America look like a joke. Just speculating here...

Anyway, why would the WTB be shoddily constructed? If Emaar constructed a low-grade building that collapsed because of over-loading or some fault then they would be out of business so fast...they'd never get another contract. Sure, companies make errors like everyone else, but Emaar wouldn't be THAT stupid.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM   #1569
Fox-Tale

Quote:

It is only partialy made by Samsung btw
Well, it's not true, it's fully responsible for the construction.
Samsung is the main construction company
who won the tender from Emaar
by teaming up with Belgium's Besix and local company Arabtec.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4081885.stm

Last edited by Fox-Tale; May 23rd, 2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:57 PM   #1570
Hollie Maea

Next time that one of you guys takes pictures, could you get a close up of the top for the second tallest wing (I think it's the south wing, anyway the one with the middle heights of setbacks).

Edit: I don't mean facing the wing straight on, but so I can see the triangular sections that go between each wing.

Last edited by Hollie Maea; May 23rd, 2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1571
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

didnt anybody notice it said on the new plans showing the highest occupied floor level at 700m's
this made my day
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:12 PM   #1572
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Likes (Received): 1

Cmon pple....korean companies have improved tremendously since the last 20 years.....

That supermarket incident is an one off incident. There are alot of other parameters involved. Corruption, miscalculation, bad inspections etc etc.
It was probably done by a junior F grade inexperienced engineer and with him screwing up doesnt mean the whole company has screw up engineers. Most probably the best A grade engineers are working on BD.

WTC also collapsed after getting hit by the planes even when the designs said it should not.
Toyota copied car making from the west and they are making better cars now in terms of quality. Copying and improvising on something makes it better.
Ford/Firestone incident was also an error but does that mean all brigestone tyres are unsafe now and all ford cars are prone to go with the wrong tyres?

kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:37 PM   #1573
Fox-Tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post
Cmon pple....korean companies have improved tremendously since the last 20 years.....

That supermarket incident is an one off incident. There are alot of other parameters involved. Corruption, miscalculation, bad inspections etc etc.
It was probably done by a junior F grade inexperienced engineer and with him screwing up doesnt mean the whole company has screw up engineers. Most probably the best A grade engineers are working on BD.

WTC also collapsed after getting hit by the planes even when the designs said it should not.
Toyota copied car making from the west and they are making better cars now in terms of quality. Copying and improvising on something makes it better.
Ford/Firestone incident was also an error but does that mean all brigestone tyres are unsafe now and all ford cars are prone to go with the wrong tyres?

The "best A grade engineers" from Korea's Samsung already worked on Malaysia's Petronas Twin Towers.

And their result is, stealing and copying of the drawings from Japanese rival company Hazama Corporation(because they didnt have any experience
they didn't have other choice than stealing them),
and defective Tower 2.

What would you say? Those towers were built only recently and shows their ability.
Even after copying it all from Japanese company, what they made was poor quality building.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:42 PM   #1574
Hollie Maea

Fox-Tale, you have made your point. Quit filling up this thread with pages and pages of repeated statements. Go take your Japan Vs. Korea pissing match elsewhere.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM   #1575
BlackSmith!
Peace sells...

Likes (Received): 6

10-4 on that Hollie Maea
BlackSmith! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #1576
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Hi all.

I got this a year ago - not sure where - looks to be the same as the new pics just posted.

[IMG]http://i11.************/61n87q9.jpg[/IMG]

@ Culwulla. I love your diagrams man - very nice. They cannot be taken as a source of any level number changes though. You may be correct in what you interpret from the pics and info, but I would ask for your source on the level number changes from the original elevation diagram, not just your interpretation.

I agree that the original diagram is the old 705 meter version. It still looks to me that they are following it to level 126. That diagram shows 3 double levels to get to 114 as the level just above the first narrowing side of the core. Perhaps level 108-109, level 110-111, and level 112-113. Then 12 levels and 126 is the second side of the core to narrow. This follows the original diagram exactly. I see the levels are taller and am aware of the observation deck in the low 120's now as the current info suggests.

Not trying to argue - it is just how I see what is happening. It will be very interesting to see some markers or painted numbers up this high to see who is correct. We will have to wait and see.

As for the height guess thing - I want it to be as high as possible and really like the fact they are going to spiral the setbacks all the way up now ( unlike the 705 renders ). The spire jacking plan is also very cool.
Love this thing - so much more interesting than any skyscraper before it !

Old May 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM   #1577
CrazyDave

Likes (Received): 193

If I counted the floors correctly. They are working on the 129th floor.
CrazyDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #1578
Adrian Smith fan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 18

since the highest occupied floor level is now 700m's, what floor would that be ? floor 180 maybe
Adrian Smith fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #1579
MetalliTooL

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post

Also, don't forget that Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP (SOM) is the lead architect, structural engineer and mechanical engineer of the Burj Dubai.
MetalliTooL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #1580
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Fox-Tale:

Many nations businesses have "copied" (been inspired of) other nations companies technology when starting up etc. So has Japans companies.

Anyhow. Interesting indeed that the highest floor will be 700m according to the recent drawings like "adrian smith tower" pointed out. That mean 118m spire, which would be quite proportionate, dont you think?

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote