daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2007, 08:46 AM   #1
kiwitam

Likes (Received): 0

SINGAPORE | Marina Bay Floating Music Stage Development News

Singapore builds world's first floating stage on water

SINGAPORE: It is the world's first and largest floating stage, and is set to be THE platform for mega performances on the waters at Marina Bay in the next five years.

Made entirely of steel, the stage was recently used to celebrate the Singapore Combat Engineers' 40th Anniversary Parade.

It is also set to welcome a new generation of National Day Parades for the next five years.

Slightly larger than a soccer field, the new stage is made of 1.2 metres of light-weight steel which floats on water.

"The requirement is to create vast spaces on the water. And to also create a space for mass spectator events as well as a temporary set for the National Stadium to take huge performance stage sets. We have to design a platform that's rigid enough to take these high loads," says Dr Koh Hock Seng, Senior Program Manager, Naval Systems, Defence, Science & Technology Agency.

The result - a stage that can take the weight of about 9,000 people and three large military tanks.

What's more, it is designed to be broken up and reconnected into various shapes and sizes, when needed.

And walking on it is as good as walking on solid ground. Stage performers don't have to worry about getting sea-sick.

Even though the stage floats on water like a ship, it doesn't swing along with the waves - mainly because it is held in place by six columns, each driven 16 to 20 metres deep into the sea bed.

But the stage is free to move up and down following the rising and falling sea levels.

Construction took a year to complete - it started in March 2006 and was completed by end-April 2007.

But due to land and height constraints, the seven-storey high gallery can only sit some 27,000 people - about half the number of previous National Day Parades at the National Stadium.

"At the end of the day for this very first NDP 07 over here... besides having a seat at the sitting gallery, we have the vast area of this Marina area which people could... find a suitable place, and at the same time, hopefully they can enjoy the NDP 07," says Tan Tze Leng, Programme Manager, Infrastructure, Defence, Science & Technology Agency.

The floating platform will be managed by the Singapore Sports Council. - CNA/yy

Last edited by kiwitam; May 1st, 2007 at 11:53 AM.
kiwitam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM   #2
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

These pics were taken on 10 February 2007.

It has progressed much since then and will be ready by August.

RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:32 PM   #3
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13267

The place is really good, near the downtown of the city.
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #4
sanhen
Urban Monk

Likes (Received): 3

OOooo.. its close to the world largest durian! hahaha.
I lost in underground Singapore once.. and suddenly I emerge inside one of those Durian.
sanhen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #5
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Interesting, but it will be even more when the (now) empty aerea on the opposite side (is that the river or the sea?) will be fully build up, making for a fantastic backdrop.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #6
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Interesting, but it will be even more when the (now) empty aerea on the opposite side (is that the river or the sea?) will be fully build up, making for a fantastic backdrop.
It's now a construction site for Marina Bay Sands:

It's currently the sea (or a bay), but will be dammed up and turned into a reservior.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #7
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 11

cool project
QatPhils no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #8
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
It is the world's first and largest floating stage, and is set to be THE platform for mega performances on the waters at Marina Bay in the next five years.
does this means it will be there for 5 years only??

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #9
Singapor3
Asia's Only Global City

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYW View Post
does this means it will be there for 5 years only??
Yes,until the new National Stadium is built, It will be dismantled..

More skyscrapers for Singapore please!
Singapor3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #10
kiwitam

Likes (Received): 0

Platform larger than National Stadium field

3 May 07

For next five years, it will replace the stadium as venue for parades and events

THE brief: To build a floating platform in Marina Bay to replace the National Stadium as a venue for events like the National Day Parade.
The constraints: The structure has to be strong enough to take the weight of thousands of performers and props, yet be light enough to float on the waves.

It has to be aesthetically pleasing to blend in with the high-end hotels in the area. And oh, the structure must be able to be taken apart easily and reconfigured for other sports activities and cultural performances in the bay.

The designers and engineers at the Defence Science and Technology Agency (DSTA) rose to the task and the result is now floating in the bay for all to see.

It had its first public load test last Tuesday, when the Singapore Combat Engineers unveiled its new floating bridge and raft which docked at the platform.

A few thousand people were invited to the event, and they took the chance to be among the first to clamber onto the stage.

The platform, at 120m long and 83m wide, is about 5 per cent larger than the field in the National Stadium. Fifteen steel pontoons are linked to each other to form a stage stable enough for 900 performers, 200 tonnes of stage props and three 30-tonne vehicles.

The structure is very safe, and can withstand a lot of structural damage before any flooding or sinking occurs. Railings also surround three of its four sides, and lifebuoys are there.

Dr Koh Hock Seng, senior programme manager with the DSTA, said the biggest challenge was to connect the different pieces of pontoons properly so that they could move together.

The viewing gallery beside the promenade is 21m, or about seven storeys, high. Because of the hotels in the vicinity, the Urban Redevelopment Authority was also concerned that the gallery should not block too much waterfront view. About 27,000 people can be seated at the gallery, half the seating capacity of National Stadium.

The viewing gallery and platform, which will be managed by the Singapore Sports Council, are likely to be in use for at least the next five years, as the new Kallang sports hub is slated to be ready only in 2011.
kiwitam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #11
Mr.ASAP
HaVe a niCe DaY !

Likes (Received): 1

well who knows? it may even last for many years to come....based on public feedback in future....as the platform can be such a nice place to "be at" it may not get demolished at all
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #12
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6839

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone View Post
It's now a construction site for Marina Bay Sands:

It's currently the sea (or a bay), but will be dammed up and turned into a reservior.
great great project. it'll be a new landmark!
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #13
AltinD
The Modecator

I don't understand the reservoir thingy. Why would they want to do that? Is never a good idea to let water stagnate and I don't see any practical beneffit, it's just salty sea water after all.

Anyone?
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 7th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #14
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Quote:
I don't understand the reservoir thingy. Why would they want to do that? Is never a good idea to let water stagnate and I don't see any practical beneffit, it's just salty sea water after all.

Anyone?
Let me try to explain.

1)Singapore wants to be self-sufficient in water supply. Currently, most of the water is supplied by Malaysia. The lst contract ends in 2011 and the 2nd one ends in 2061. Malaysia will not renew the contract because of long term rivalry between the two countries.Yes...our leaders are childish. Therefore, the reservoir will provide a new catchment area.

2)To control floodings in certain flood prone area. This thingy called the marina barrage can regulate the amount of water in gthe reservoir.

Also, it is not goin to be salt water after two yrs(experts' calculations) into completion of the project because fresh water is going to replaced by fresh water from the river.

for more info. Just google 'marina barrage singapore'
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:13 AM   #15
PurePaki
HalfIndian

Likes (Received): 132

nice
PurePaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM   #16
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurakura View Post
Let me try to explain.

1)Singapore wants to be self-sufficient in water supply. Currently, most of the water is supplied by Malaysia. The lst contract ends in 2011 and the 2nd one ends in 2061. Malaysia will not renew the contract because of long term rivalry between the two countries.Yes...our leaders are childish. Therefore, the reservoir will provide a new catchment area.

2)To control floodings in certain flood prone area. This thingy called the marina barrage can regulate the amount of water in gthe reservoir.

Also, it is not goin to be salt water after two yrs(experts' calculations) into completion of the project because fresh water is going to replaced by fresh water from the river.

for more info. Just google 'marina barrage singapore'
I know what dams are build for (I'm an Electrical Engineer) and all this would have been very clear to me but when I asked on my previous post, it was said that this is the sea and not the river. So this means the river delta is nearby right?
I can cheat you blind.

Old May 7th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #17
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

So what is your question?

The river, not so much a delta, more like a canal and not dammed up is nearby, like the mouth is within a few hundred metres.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #18
Cristov„o471

Likes (Received): 12

I was in singapore recently and I was wondering why there were hundreds of seats facing the water. well now I know.

I was even suprised that some of the taxi drivers knew soo much about the Marina Bay Sands project, looks can be deceiving.
Cristov„o471 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #19
atom
De omnibus dubitandum est

Likes (Received): 4324

Cool project!
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #20
kurakura
means tortoise in malay

Quote:
I know what dams are build for (I'm an Electrical Engineer) and all this would have been very clear to me but when I asked on my previous post, it was said that this is the sea and not the river. So this means the river delta is nearby right?
Im an Electrical Engineer to be too

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_underscore47 View Post
I was in singapore recently and I was wondering why there were hundreds of seats facing the water. well now I know.

I was even suprised that some of the taxi drivers knew soo much about the Marina Bay Sands project, looks can be deceiving.
Taxi drivers in Singapore knows alot....maybe coz the literacy level is high.....I once got surprised too that when i was taking a cab with a hot chic....the taxi uncle corrected me about the investment figures of marina bay sands which i got it wrong.....very embarrasing

anyway...in singapore's local newspaper..they was a report that mentioned about a cab driver explaining thge health care costs to a foreign health expert..n of course he was shocked at the accuracy and knowlegde of the taxi driver...
kurakura no está en línea   Reply With Quote