daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #21
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbz2ifc View Post
Yep... I thought of the same thing... REAL theaters.

...not that I don't like going to the movies.
You are right. Theatres have traditionally meant a building where live theatrical performances occur, not cinema. In Canada and the USA, the distinction has been misunderstood and eventually blurred where the terms are interchangable. Even the big cinema chains now use the word theatre to describe themselves.

It's either pretentious or plain ignorance, but beyond reversible at this point. Many still mean plays and other dramatic performances when they say theatre, but be careful when talking to North Americans. Many don't recognize the difference. Ask them if they like theatre, and they will name off a dozen Hollywood flicks they have seen recently.

isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #22
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

That's because film is so much younger than drama. In the beginning going to see a film meant an entire performance, with music performed live, introduction etc. That is still the case in arthouse cinemas. Besides many theaters now show both film and drama. At least they do here - NL.

Here's Carré in Amsterdam:

eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #23
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You are right. Theatres have traditionally meant a building where live theatrical performances occur, not cinema. In Canada and the USA, the distinction has been misunderstood and eventually blurred where the terms are interchangable. Even the big cinema chains now use the word theatre to describe themselves.

It's either pretentious or plain ignorance, but beyond reversible at this point. Many still mean plays and other dramatic performances when they say theatre, but be careful when talking to North Americans. Many don't recognize the difference. Ask them if they like theatre, and they will name off a dozen Hollywood flicks they have seen recently.

Generally it comes from the word "movie theatre" which is used in the US. From what I understand (maybe I'm wrong) but in the US a stage theater is spelt "er" at the end, and a movie theatre, "re". The rest of the english speaking world uses cinema from memory.
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #24
Rodarte

Likes (Received): 6

COLON THEATER

TEATRO COLÓN (currently being restored)
BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr
Rodarte no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2007, 02:37 AM   #25
Aceventura

Likes (Received): 2046

Wow! Amazing pictures everyone!
Aceventura no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 09:15 AM   #26
gERoNimO88

Likes (Received): 0

I really like the German and Greek theatres. They look so comfortable, classy, and upscale.
gERoNimO88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:57 PM   #27
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5848

Have there been posted German theaters on this thread so far?

Perhaps you refer to the Viennese Burgtheater I posted on page one? But thats an Austrian theater.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote