daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 25th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #1021
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2607

Awesome update, many thanks.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2010, 09:54 PM   #1022
Anshul

Likes (Received): 9

Wow!! so the project is on track!! good updates
Anshul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #1023
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

But....where's the core ????

Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #1024
jaadu

Likes (Received): 39

I think we are too deep in the ground still to see teh cores distinctly !!

Thats my assumption though !!
jaadu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #1025
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-8ras View Post
Who claims the west has managed to end poverty completely? Tell me one place where they have managed to banish poverty altogether? (Liechtenstein may be! :P )

So, if the western system isn't as great as it is being made out to be, tell me another system that has managed to do what it has managed to achieve? I guess most people would be happy to adopt that? Having a lot of super rich might not be a thing to be proud of - but it sure is a sign that everyone has an equal opportunity here to earn and become super rich - of course staying within the confines of the laws of the land.
The person I quoted said we'd ended poverty. We haven't. I'm not saying it's as bad as other countries, we do have it a lot easier, but why stop until you do find the perfect system?

I've had arguments about this on here before. You say having a lot of super rich "sure is a sign that everyone has an equal opportunity here to earn and become super rich". What an awful argument that is. Why do so many people seem ignorant to the fact that our system gives the elite a far better chance of success than normal, or poor people? Every kid deserves an equal chance to achieve their full potential, but that doesn't happen because capitalism has put a price on our education. As well as other things. It's a system based completely on class and it shows. Not only do those born into the lower class have less opportunities, they have less of a voice too. And that's why it seems like everyone is happy with it, because no one cares what those who've gotten the shitty end of the stick have to say. It's basically the more money you have, the more power you have. I'm not saying I have all the answers, I'm just saying it annoys me that people are so complacent about being the bitches of the people at the top, and about how badly some of our own nationals still have it. We seem to look at poor people like failures over here, and that it's their own fault. It's a stupid way to think. If they'd been born into a better class, chances are they wouldn't have ended up that way. Those 'equal chances to get rich' are 50% work and 50% luck when you're born, and the higher up the class you get, the more the luck element comes into it, as in being lucky enough to have been born with the money you need for a good life, health and education in the first place.

It isn't going to change thouhgh, because the people who are happy with it are the people with the most money, and the most power, and as long as they're happy, things will stay as they are.

But to be fair, this is all how I see my own country and the US. I don't know as much about the balance in Germany, it may work better there
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #1026
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2607

My point about Germany was that while there are of course poor people, we do not have the type of poor people who don't have a roof over their heads or food on their table, because everyone is entitled to a minimum to live on. So these people who live on that minimum (myself included) do officially count as being poor, it's not something I consider poverty, because with an apartment paid for and enough spending money for good food, decent clothes, even the occasional luxury (I myself have two computers, several classic (70s/80s) gaming consoles, and a bunch of electric guitars, and a three-digit CD collection, to name a few examples), plus free education and health insurance, what more could one want? I mean, I can't exactly buy a sports car, but nonetheless I consider myself far from what I'd consider poverty.

I hope that clears it up.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #1027
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

I dobt that you live on Hartz 4 ! with that little money you cannot afford good food or
decent clothing ! also there are many homeless people in Germany !!
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2010, 11:53 PM   #1028
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 60990

You can always nitpick of course, the fact remains that the poverty in the Western world is of completely different level then the poverty in the developed world. And this is even more off topic then all the "India is so poor, they can't built like a tower like this" posts. Why are we even discussing something like this?

In other words, this is the end of it.

Back to the tower and the great update pictures from desiguy66.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1029
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Great pictures! The foundation is really coming along nicely.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #1030
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
My point about Germany was that while there are of course poor people, we do not have the type of poor people who don't have a roof over their heads or food on their table, because everyone is entitled to a minimum to live on. So these people who live on that minimum (myself included) do officially count as being poor, it's not something I consider poverty, because with an apartment paid for and enough spending money for good food, decent clothes, even the occasional luxury (I myself have two computers, several classic (70s/80s) gaming consoles, and a bunch of electric guitars, and a three-digit CD collection, to name a few examples), plus free education and health insurance, what more could one want? I mean, I can't exactly buy a sports car, but nonetheless I consider myself far from what I'd consider poverty.

I hope that clears it up.
Fair enough I do regularly see homeless people and the way I see people (including my friends) react to them annoys me, but I guess I shouldn't have applied that to the whole western world. Germany sounds like they're doing a good job at sorting out some of the problems, that I personally take issue with Sorry for going off topic here, I personally do think India would be able to build a tower like this.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #1031
MeMumbaikar

Likes (Received): 4282

nice updates desi guy

construction in Mumbai gathers pace in the winter when then temperature is the best.

rather than billionaires the tower is being mostly occupied and signed by Hyatt Hotels.

This was confirmed before construction began. Its in the opening post I believe.

Its not just like they decided that they would build and they would come. First they confirmed signature clients and signed a deal with them........

there is a big shortage of hotels rooms in Mumbai. So there is demand.

Secondly keep in mind construction costs in India are lower than those in other countries. So the concept of purchase parity comes into play.
MeMumbaikar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:26 AM   #1032
hardcore gamer
Proletariat

Likes (Received): 270

very nice christmas gift for us SSCers! thanks desiguy66! merry xmas to all those celebrate it!
hardcore gamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:55 AM   #1033
bharatiya
Swag Unmatched

Likes (Received): 27

theres a shortage of hotel space?

i know a hotelier that claims that competition today is at its peak!! Though I'm sure creating more high-end space is only going to bring these room rates even lower to the point that even lower-income patrons in western countries can afford the rooms.

The SSCI Corruption Thread
bharatiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 01:59 AM   #1034
India101

Likes (Received): 2632

Thanks so much desi!

I cross posted it into the Mumbai thread.
India101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:32 AM   #1035
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3182

HUGE!!!
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #1036
bhargavsura

Wow. Those are some great pictures.
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #1037
desiguy66

Likes (Received): 18

Btw, in this pic, if you look closely where the construction workers are (on the floor, behind the crane)...the brown stuff is metal wires. this side has it, the other side does not have it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
But....where's the core ????

Last edited by desiguy66; December 26th, 2010 at 05:38 AM.
desiguy66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #1038
desiguy66

Likes (Received): 18

Also, i took a video clip on my cell phone. how do i post it? (its in 3gp format)
desiguy66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #1039
hardcore gamer
Proletariat

Likes (Received): 270

^well i would upload to youtube and from there upload on to SSC....

“O, wonder!
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in't!”
hardcore gamer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #1040
sammyk

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiguy66 View Post
Btw, in this pic, if you look closely where the construction workers are (on the floor, behind the crane)...the brown stuff is metal wires. this side has it, the other side does not have it yet.
Wires? Do you mean the rebar?

BTW, thanks for the pics but could you post them as 1024x768 next time?
sammyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mumbai, norman foster