daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1361
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Actually, "tallest" is defined any way that anyone wants to define tallest. There is simply not agreement on the definition and multiple methods of measurement are possible. Searching the internet will reveal many different lists of "tallest" and also various types definitions of "building".

The thread titles on this forum are merely one way of measuring. This isn't to suggest that it is the wrong method. After all, it is impossible to please everyone with any method that would be chosen.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #1362
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Actually, "tallest" is defined any way that anyone wants to define tallest. There is simply not agreement on the definition and multiple methods of measurement are possible. Searching the internet will reveal many different lists of "tallest" and also various types definitions of "building".

The thread titles on this forum are merely one way of measuring. This isn't to suggest that it is the wrong method. After all, it is impossible to please everyone with any method that would be chosen.
that's true and that's why we need to have one way what to write in titles and stuff and the easiest way is to to write in there the official height and not the antenna or roof height. In diagrams and stuff there is always the way to make differences between those
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #1363
lkiller123
oh yeah

Likes (Received): 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
It's been said a hundred times, but I wish the forum had more camera-wielders in Mumbai. Having the world's second tallest with updates only every few months is just wrong. A project like this should be followed at least weekly.
Hell, the Shanghai Tower thread gets updated every couple days....
Old February 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #1364
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkiller123 View Post
Hell, the Shanghai Tower thread gets updated every couple days....
Shangai Tower is surrounded by public and commercials buildings.
IT is not.
Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #1365
v-8ras
Whizkidd

Likes (Received): 73

Once this rises above the ground, we will for sure get to see almost daily updates. Lets all hope that happens soon!
v-8ras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #1366
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
Shangai Tower is surrounded by public and commercials buildings.
IT is not.
Wich is an excuse that there are no pics?
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #1367
v-8ras
Whizkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Wich is an excuse that there are no pics?
Of course. Commercial buldings are easier to get in to. This is surrounded by private buldings and residential structures with security guards. Its not like you can get inside every alternate day just to take a picture. Its like barging in to your home just to take a picture of the view from your window.
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #1368
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

I am wonder that not much of people know this project even local.

when you ask India Tower, they will answer whats that.

when u tell ask them to estimate the height of the building, they answer your 200m.

when you tell them 720m, they give a reaction "huh!? no..... are you sure....."

when i show them this thread, their reaction "maybe a white elephant...."

For non local or even foreigner, they have no idea what tower is this too....

Is the government or investor keep this project low profile? whats their purpose?
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1369
v-8ras
Whizkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoojyh View Post
I am wonder that not much of people know this project even local. When you ask India Tower, they will answer whats that. When u tell ask them to estimate the height of the building, they answer your 200m. When you tell them 720m, they give a reaction "huh!? no..... are you sure....." When i show them this thread, their reaction "maybe a white elephant...."

For non local or even foreigner, they have no idea what tower is this too....

Is the government or investor keep this project low profile? whats their purpose?
Looks like you havent read the discussion that has been on here regarding ehy this is so. The promoters and the folks involved in this are keeping a low profile fearing opposition form various sources. Political parties, environmental activists, locals. There are many entities involved that could jeopardize the construction -EVEN after all approvals have been granted by authorities. If that wasnt all, one of the co owners of DB Realty, the makers of this tower is thought to be involved in the recent 2G spectrum scam in India and has been arrested. All this would sure make for unwanted attention.

This is how it is in India.

To compare how projects take off and are completed in other countries to how things happen in India is futile. India works in its own, different way.
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #1370
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-8ras View Post
Of course. Commercial buldings are easier to get in to. This is surrounded by private buldings and residential structures with security guards. Its not like you can get inside every alternate day just to take a picture. Its like barging in to your home just to take a picture of the view from your window.
Why you people keep spamming with this bullshit? It only decrease the chance of getting updates here, while it has been said hundreds of times theres no guards and there is no problem getting into these buildings
patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #1371
v-8ras
Whizkidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Why you people keep spamming with this bullshit? It only decrease the chance of getting updates here, while it has been said hundreds of times theres no guards and there is no problem getting into these buildings

Bullshit or not. I dont need anyone to belive. I have travelled 100 kms one way to take pictures of this one and was stopped. There are ocassions when you can slip through. Of course, I will try again from some another vantage point if possible in the future.

And if you seriously think think is gonna stop people from taking pictures, you seem to be mistaken . It certainly wont stop me. Its just too far for me to travel there frequently. I have just been there once and do not know the area too well.

Last edited by v-8ras; February 27th, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old February 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #1372
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8239

Quote:
Bullshit or not. I dont need anyone to belive. I have travelled 100 kms one way to take pictures of this one and was stopped. There are ocassions when you can slip through. Of course, I will try again from some another vantage point if possible in the future.

And if you seriously think think is gonna stop people from taking pictures, you seem to be mistaken . It certainly wont stop me. Its just too far for me to travel there frequently. I have just been there once and do not know the area too well.
and it is apprechiated that you travel there at all for all of us
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #1373
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Looks like you havent read the discussion that has been on here regarding ehy this is so. The promoters and the folks involved in this are keeping a low profile fearing opposition form various sources. Political parties, environmental activists, locals. There are many entities involved that could jeopardize the construction -EVEN after all approvals have been granted by authorities. If that wasnt all, one of the co owners of DB Realty, the makers of this tower is thought to be involved in the recent 2G spectrum scam in India and has been arrested. All this would sure make for unwanted attention.

This is how it is in India.

To compare how projects take off and are completed in other countries to how things happen in India is futile. India works in its own, different way.
I see, thank for your information, you are right, too many people have the right to speak will make thing go negative in sometime.

good luck to India Tower
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #1374
Bangalore_Geek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightside. View Post
Spires should not count in the height. The highest habitable floor should be the measure of a building's height.
Controversial technical debate alert.

Bangalore_Geek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 06:23 AM   #1375
OldKool
Muaah!

Likes (Received): 1280

they better keep a low profile...look what happened to World One...on the first day they made a huge press announcement of construction of world's tallest residential tower...on the next day political parties came in asking to halt it because they thought Mumbai is not ready infra wise for i..now its all peace at the site !!!

a 2 min condolence for World One please!the child was aborted even before the sperm and ovum could unite.
OldKool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 09:26 AM   #1376
jaadu

Likes (Received): 39

They are going ahead with the project amid cap of 86 floors !!

http://www.indiainfoline.com/Researc...Group/24435334

and actually teh CMO actually said that by the time it is 86 floors in 23- years time they hope that the height restrictions would be removed !!

So hopefully it will be 440 mts and definitely a supertall ( hopefully) !!
jaadu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1377
India101

Likes (Received): 2632

Yash, ifyou read anything they clearly said they will start the contruction, and they think by the time it reaches the 86th floor the height restriction will be lifted.
India101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:19 AM   #1378
kt

Likes (Received): 467

With a height of 720m,this will be the second tallest building in the world,great India, Asia is booming super-supertall project
kt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM   #1379
James Foong

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
But I do agree it is strange that on the begging there was just flat concrete slab whith no vertical rebars sticking out of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giovani kun View Post
There are no pilings done that's for sure (from what it's shown on the thread) ,they will pour the foundation directly on the bedrock at least that is what the pictures show.
hi.

i must say i agree both of your observations that there is no bored pile done at all. the way i see it, is the entire raft is already embedded in the surrounding bedrock itself. so, they r pretty lucky bored piles r not required and tremendously save millions of dollar.

however is, i hv never seen such scale except the biggest one i encountered was a 40-storey tower which directly sit ontop of a carved bedrock with no bored pile.

i hv a question though. what is the grey pipes sticking out from the ground? is this a groundwater de-watering process due to proximity to sea? noticed a blue hose (marked arrow) in the pipe as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewys View Post

Anyone knows what the building wil be used for? What's the estimated cost and who will be backing and financing this project, for it is a huge commitment.
i m puzzled such a scale they could only afford some rusty zinc sheets hoarded up around the site. and it seem there's no traffic diversion support plan presented so far in the middle of sloppy apartments.
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2011, 11:47 PM   #1380
chewys

Likes (Received): 1

The plastic pipe could be relieve wells to reduce upthrust force generated by ground water pressure. The water will then be pumped out of the building.

It seems the builder has adoped raft foundation, sitting on basically weathered rocks. Overall stability seems dicey for such a tall building, given the lack of deep (anchored) foundation and relatively small base.
chewys no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mumbai, norman foster