daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1381
bhargavsura

The foundation should have been deeper than that?

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2011, 05:47 AM   #1382
sathya_226
DIPLOMAT

Likes (Received): 44

No one has seen the real foundation hole yet... All pictures in the forum reveals only concrete filled (half) holes not the naked hole on the ground!
sathya_226 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:36 AM   #1383
James Foong

Likes (Received): 5

Everyone can see down to the bedrock surface from few pages back..

My guess is you misinterpret the 'half concrete filled' wrongly.. Thats a thin layer of concrete mat spread over the ground before raft takes place..a common practice.
James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:52 AM   #1384
James Foong

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewys View Post
The plastic pipe could be relieve wells to reduce upthrust force generated by ground water pressure. The water will then be pumped out of the building.
thanks. thats probably explain they didnt bore it deeper coz beneath the bedrock might lie some cavities or soft soil filled with groundwater?
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #1385
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9050

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Foong View Post
Everyone can see down to the bedrock surface from few pages back..

My guess is you misinterpret the 'half concrete filled' wrongly.. Thats a thin layer of concrete mat spread over the ground before raft takes place..a common practice.
Doesn't the concrete core supposed to be connected directly to the piling in case of a building this height. I mean AFAIK e.g. this is how it happened at WTC1, Burj Khalifa, and Shanghai Tower...

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #1386
James Foong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtya View Post
Doesn't the concrete core supposed to be connected directly to the piling in case of a building this height. I mean AFAIK e.g. this is how it happened at WTC1, Burj Khalifa, and Shanghai Tower...
no.. it doesnt mean all foundation must be on pile supported. depending on the depth of the raft and the soil bearing, a raft can be constructed with no pile should the raft depth is sufficient to be anchored itself in the bedrock like here. the biggest i had deal was just 40-storey tower but one extreme example in hongkong, the Two IFC tower (415m) was build on a 6.5m thick raft without piles.

should there r pile supported beneath, there must be pile starter bars exposing out which are not visible here. starter bars r to hold the raft together or otherwise without starter bar, the raft and the pile ll be frictionless and could move laterally.
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #1387
lezgotolondon
Pescara Über Alles

Likes (Received): 1524

I love the second design!

the last design look interesting but I don't like that render.

The first design was awful, fortunately it was changed!
lezgotolondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #1388
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

India Tower 2 ? Or India Tower to slums?

Mumbai Porocity:

"The massive structure is based on 3x9 meter blocks that connect to create ever increasing triangular structural elements"

"One of the densest and largest slums in the world is Dharavi in Mumbai, India. The 216 hector triangular site inspired the PoroCity concept made honorable mention in this year’s eVolo Skyscraper Competition. Khushalani Associates takes the triangle form to its extreme with the deviation of a Sierpenski’s Pyramid, allowing the multifaceted construction to maximize habitation in an open air and connected vertical environment.

The massive structure is based on 3×9 meter blocks that connect to make ever-escalating triangular structural elements. The basic habitation has a north facing terrace to allow private outdoor access. The resulting massive interior volume will be use as the central community and commercial spaces. The variations in scale allow the cottage industries and services to use smaller blocks while larger volumes house industry and offices tucked below the living units. The scalability of the basic infrastructure allows for a flexible and transformable program.

The effect is a full fledged community supported by a single building, allowing for scale and connectivity while still supporting small scale living and commercial activity – a hallmark Dharavi. Due to its density and combination of elevator, walks, and other mechanized systems of transport, no vehicles will be needed."

Source: http://inhabitat.com/massive-pixilat.../porocity-7-2/

image hosted on flickr
Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #1389
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
India Tower 2 ? Or India Tower to slums?
[...]
massive, looks like a vision to me, how tall may it be, considering the neighboring buildings?
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #1390
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

4 gazillion meters
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #1391
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5327

You can see the people inside the ISS when you have a flat on the top floor.
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #1392
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

I think a few new pictures of the construction site would stop this off-topic fantasy.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #1393
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5327

yea well, sadly that seems to be fantasy to...
Old March 20th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #1394
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

Beautiful though the final design is, I frankly wouldn't be totally disappointed to see this project fall through. Does anyone else find such a tall and clearly expensive building distasteful in a city/country where the average person makes less than 3000USD per year? The fact that it's being constructed in what will be former slums makes it all the worse.

I can see this sort of thing once India has hit China's level of development, but as it is, this is clearly something brought about by a few people having a lot more money than most Indians (or anyone else) do. I'd be more than happy to see this built in 20-30 years time, but India is simply too poor for this to seem like anything other than a fragrant display of India's evermore disparate social strata.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 03:43 AM   #1395
jaadu

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
bla bla bla ..... .
again .. it is not being built on slum land ... its being built by a private company .. it does not take any govt's money but rather increases its revenue!!

The per capita income of India in absolute terms is only $1000 and china is $3200 and 10 years ago china was $900 and I don't know how all this relates to your morality theory !!! may be you are european or even American and sad that you guys are so rich still no skyscraper of this size !!

Get over it dude or just get used to it

BTW here are a few picture in the Indian thread of Cement trucks getting in and the news of the Crane being installed .. I hope it helps !!
jaadu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #1396
aquaticko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaadu View Post
again .. it is not being built on slum land ... its being built by a private company .. it does not take any govt's money but rather increases its revenue!!

The per capita income of India in absolute terms is only $1000 and china is $3200 and 10 years ago china was $900 and I don't know how all this relates to your morality theory !!! may be you are european or even American and sad that you guys are so rich still no skyscraper of this size !!

Get over it dude or just get used to it

BTW here are a few picture in the Indian thread of Cement trucks getting in and the news of the Crane being installed .. I hope it helps !!
I'm happy to see skyscrapers wherever they're built.

And that's what I'm saying--the fact that this is being built by a private company (which also means that no profit from this project goes to the government) shows that some people in India are much, much, much richer than others, and unlike China, India's government doesn't allow for easy redistribution of wealth. Which means many poor people on the streets of Mumbai, looking up at this massive, beautiful building, have no recourse to complain about wealth inequality, nor does the government have any explicit ideological reason to adress the problem.

And you should never use nominal figures for GDP. They take into account exchange rates, and therefore more accurately reflect what currency speculators think of a country's economy than the actual level of economic activity in a country.

Not to mention that most of the places where all the supertalls in China are going up are much richer than the country's average. E.g. Guangdong province (12,000), Shanghai (22,000), Beijing (20,000), most of eastern China really; China's GDP-per-capita is dragged down by the less developed western half of the country. And India's growth rate is still consistently lower than China's, although of course that may change as time goes on.
Old March 20th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1397
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8507

recent pictures would be nice
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #1398
charles54
ARCHITECT

Likes (Received): 39

looks like x-seed 4000 combined with leaning tower of pisa
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #1399
shreyansh

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I'm happy to see skyscrapers wherever they're built.

And that's what I'm saying--the fact that this is being built by a private company (which also means that no profit from this project goes to the government) shows that some people in India are much, much, much richer than others, and unlike China, India's government doesn't allow for easy redistribution of wealth. Which means many poor people on the streets of Mumbai, looking up at this massive, beautiful building, have no recourse to complain about wealth inequality, nor does the government have any explicit ideological reason to adress the problem.

And you should never use nominal figures for GDP. They take into account exchange rates, and therefore more accurately reflect what currency speculators think of a country's economy than the actual level of economic activity in a country.

Not to mention that most of the places where all the supertalls in China are going up are much richer than the country's average. E.g. Guangdong province (12,000), Shanghai (22,000), Beijing (20,000), most of eastern China really; China's GDP-per-capita is dragged down by the less developed western half of the country. And India's growth rate is still consistently lower than China's, although of course that may change as time goes on.
Thanks for enlightening us. Can we go back to the topic again?
shreyansh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #1400
aquaticko

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyansh View Post
Thanks for enlightening us. Can we go back to the topic again?

Tags
mumbai, norman foster