daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:10 AM   #1421
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Ugh. I've been following South Korean and Dubai projects on here for years. My intent in posting on this thread was not to stir up trouble; I just wanted to post a thought I've had about this building for a while. Again, so sorry for posting a dissenting opinion. I had no idea this was a bad thing on here.

God...Some welcome from you people. I'm too frustrated about all this nonsense to post on this thread anymore. Now I do hope this building doesn't see the light of day, just to disappoint all you people

To anyone who simply decided to jump on the bandwagon of insulting me without even reading what I was posting: F*** off.
Wrong thread

Use this http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Or this http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=491
Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:02 AM   #1422
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
Oi...

Well I suppose you're right, but being directed here before all this verbal harrassment would have been nice.

Not to mention, I don't have a problem with skyscrapers in India, just ones this size at India's current level of economic development. After all, realistically speaking the only other country to have a building (not radio tower like Guangzhou or Tokyo) over 600m tall essentially went bankrupt because of an overheated property market, despite being much wealthier per capita. Let's be honest--anything over 400m=very,very tall. Not saying Dubai is going to happen to India, I'm just saying caution where caution is due.

Back more on topic, I can't imagine working under the midday sun in Mumbai on something like this.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:03 AM   #1423
oilmanjr

Likes (Received): 17

@ aquaticko: Haha, this is not how "welcoming" all of the threads here are, I just think you decided to post your opinion in front of the wrong people, that's all. Surely you must have interest in more than just this one thread. Give it a rest here, as I've been reading all the posts on this thread, and frankly, I agree with you. It seems that people here are a little touchy on this subject.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:32 AM   #1424
crskyline

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Damnit, I try to leave but you all can't cut this crap, can you?

Anyone who uses nominal figures for measuring economies has no idea what they're talking about. And you think I don't know where Shenzhen and Chongqing are? I'll agree that Guangdong isn't so far ahead of everywhere else, but Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong definitely are, and those cities are where most of this construction has happened. Chongqing is an exception, as it's administrated as it's own province; Chengdu is much more representative of most of western China, and a gap of 50% is still a gap or 50%. Here's a link to the figures: http://www.economist.com/content/chinese_equivalents. If you think that the Economist isn't an acceptable source, then so be it.
Getting back to my original point, Mumbai is still much poorer per capita than any of these places.

You think that a 50% difference between cities and national GDP per capita isn't a big difference? Tell that to someone living outside these cities. How you can say I "exaggerate" the difference and then post the figures you have, I'm not sure.

And again, if you had read my posts, you'd see that I said it's likely that India will pass China eventually, but even if you assume it stops growing at Malaysia's present level of GDP-PPP per capita, it still has to double. Assuming China maintains roughly 8% GDP growth per year, thats more than a decade before it stops; it'll take India more than two decades to reach a similar level, although if population trends continue, India may pass China in pure GDP sooner.

And to the guy who mentioned communism, I think it has its merits, yes.

Soooo much crap from the people here. Has anyone even read all of my posts? Not to mention, yet again, someone else starts this shit up with me, and gets off topic. Normally I don't let online people bother me, but I'm new here, and if this is how you treat newcomers with dissenting opinions on projects, it's no wonder there aren't more people on these forum.
Why shouldn't we use nominal figures??? The Chinese themselves use nominal figures most of the time when they calculating their GDP or GDP per capita, and most countries worldwide also use nominal figures. The only country that frequently use PPP I assume is United States. I didn't say PPP is useless, but sometimes a city/state/nation have high PPP not because it has high output, rather, it's because everything is cheap there.

Also you shouldn't compare Beijing or Shanghai with other Chinese province and conclude that they are the most developed. Cities for sure has higher per capita wealth than any province. For example, Beijing and Shanghai is about 2x richer than Guangdong, but still behind Guangzhou and Shenzhen in terms of GDP per capita.

I say you exaggerate the city-national disparity because any other country has the similar issue, not only China, so it's not worth to put so much emphasis on it. Right now the disparity is much smaller than before, Beijing and Shanghai are only about 2.5x as the national average, similar to the disparity in most other countries. Just let you know, once Shanghai has more than 10x than Chinese national average, but those days are long gone.

Hong Kong for sure is better than any mainland Chinese cities, this I agree, but not Beijing and Shanghai, any provincial capitals' citizens have similar standard of living as Beijing and Shanghai, the only difference is that their city has worse infrastructure and their government has less money. And also, Chongqing is not the only exception with tall buildings, Wuhan, Tianjing, Shenyang, etc etc all have considerable amount of high-rise.

Last edited by crskyline; March 23rd, 2011 at 08:38 AM.
crskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:00 AM   #1425
crskyline

Why there just those people think that India shouldn't build a 700+ tower because of its economic position?
The comment that "a country's average wealth less than $3,000 a year shouldn't be constructing expensive buildings" is a total ignorance. Look back in 1993 when Shanghai planned to construct Jin Mao Tower and tried to make it the tallest building in the world (even though it did not finish as the world's tallest buildings) at 400+, there were far less sceptics than India Tower today. During that time, Shanghai's economic position worldwide is worse than Mumbai today. China's GDP per capita during that time is only about $300, only about 1/10 of the $3,000 standard.

And the comment that "China is behind India for 20-30 years" is even more ridiculous. China's GDP per capita didn't surpass India until mid 1990s, and the difference isn't that big until the dramatic revaluation of Chinese Yuan after 2006.

Last edited by crskyline; March 23rd, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM   #1426
parsonsnose
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

"The comment that "a country's average wealth less than $3,000 a year shouldn't be constructing expensive buildings" is a total ignorance. Look back in 1993 when Shanghai planned to construct Jin Mao Tower and tried to make it the tallest building in the world (even though it did not finish as the world's tallest buildings) at 400+, there were far less sceptics than India Tower today."

Didn't have internet forums like this in 93.

A lot of people will remain skeptical about this one until they start to see some regular update pics. Me included.
parsonsnose no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM   #1427
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Please, close this topic.
Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:13 PM   #1428
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6038

Can someone plz get an update? This thread is annoying.

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:16 PM   #1429
shreyansh

Likes (Received): 19

I am expecting it from you martha
shreyansh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:29 PM   #1430
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1028

I'd like to respond to crskyline, but I won't. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Pictures pictures pictures!!!
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:08 PM   #1431
v-8ras
Whizkidd

Likes (Received): 73

I have asked a couple of friends who stay in the area to help me with some pictures. Hopefully, I should get a few in the next few days. Gimme a couple of days. . One of my friends said he was actually allowed in to the site!
v-8ras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:10 PM   #1432
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

That would be awesome.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:29 PM   #1433
dsinghdahiya257
Desi King

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-8ras View Post
I have asked a couple of friends who stay in the area to help me with some pictures. Hopefully, I should get a few in the next few days. Gimme a couple of days. . One of my friends said he was actually allowed in to the site!
Good job
dsinghdahiya257 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #1434
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8513

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-8ras View Post
You're the man! Good job! =]
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #1435
crskyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsnose View Post
"The comment that "a country's average wealth less than $3,000 a year shouldn't be constructing expensive buildings" is a total ignorance. Look back in 1993 when Shanghai planned to construct Jin Mao Tower and tried to make it the tallest building in the world (even though it did not finish as the world's tallest buildings) at 400+, there were far less sceptics than India Tower today."

Didn't have internet forums like this in 93.

A lot of people will remain skeptical about this one until they start to see some regular update pics. Me included.
I agree with you, let's not debate whether this project can be finished, it's pointless. People in early 2000s felt sceptical about Burj Khalifa, but later it's actually being built. In 2007 and 2008 (at the height of Dubai's real estate boom) few people questioned the proposal of Dubai One, but it's later being cancelled. Time will prove everything, we cannot predict the future.

It's good if there could be some updates.
Old March 25th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #1436
purty_trash
Bawla bhoot

Likes (Received): 7

I followed this thread and much as I'd be happy to see this project finished, I have to agree with aquaticko's concerns. I mean I'm an indian and I was relieved that this wasn't the tallest building in the world...simply because we aren't there YET.

As far as concerns about politicians focusing on the elite few...that's not gonna happen. One, because of the democracy you'd be risking a huge backlash if you do that. The ruling party in 2003 (i think) tried to come up with 'India shinning campaign' because India had started clocking 6% gdp growth rate...they lost. Because growth hadn't penetrated that much. But now it's penetrating pretty deep.

And I absolutely attest the generation-on-generation progress post. Also the part about 'visible benchmark of success' is true. For decades we've been reading how great our nation was in the past, how well indians can do if not tied down by the system, so on and so forth. Now that our potential been finally unleashed (it is still in the process of), we want everything right here, right now.

But guys, let us take criticism better than simply dismissing it.
purty_trash no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #1437
mdhar.v12

Likes (Received): 42

http://www.vertikal.net/en/news/story/11961/

Wolffkrans for India Tower(Re posted from Mumbai Thread)

March 14, 2011
Wolffkran is supplying four tower cranes for high rise construction work in Mumbai, India.

The units will be shipped from Germany to the company’s strategic partner and distributor for India - Harsadhan International.

The two companies have won a deal to supply the Ravi Towers construction site, where a Wolff 5020.8clear flat top model will be erected in the lift shaft of the 180 metre high building. And the India Tower project, which will, when complete be the world’s second tallest building at around 720 metres. Three Wolff 355 B luffing jib cranes will be employed on the prestigious building for more than three years.

The standard hoist drum capacity on the 355Bs can handle 920 metres in single-reeve format or 460 metres for double-reeved operation. The first unit is going into service now, with the two others to follow later. The 125 floor India tower is due for completion in 2016

The strategic partnership between Wolffkran and Harsadhan International was signed in July 2010. Mike Nunweek, Wolffkran’s regional sales director- Asia Pacific said: “We have been able to find, in Harsadhan International, a reliable local partner who will launch our wide range of trolley jib and luffing jib cranes in the Indian market.”
mdhar.v12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #1438
dunefreezer
Skyscraper Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 551

Very bad news.......the DB realty guys are both involved in a corruption scandal......I doubt the building will still go through construction......The day a dream came crashing down
dunefreezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #1439
bhargavsura

If that happens, I think the DB realty should sell this property to another builder and let the work still continue.
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #1440
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3188

What? no way!!!!
Munwon está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
mumbai, norman foster