daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 13th, 2007, 03:00 AM   #441
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsuptown View Post
This may have been said at some point I don't know when but out of curiosity why is it Tower's 2,3 and 4 and quite possibly 5 can all be built with glassy open lobbys and Tower 1 (i.e. Freedom Tower) can't. Is it just because Tower 1 will have some sort of significance because of it's name or that it's the tallest of this new WTC group? It seems odd for no other reasons.
This is a great question.

I also considered this in relation to buildings such as Chicago Spire, which is wide open at the base. WTC 1 seems to be the only new building that is featuring this ridiculous base configuration. Besides, if a subsequent attack was planned, lower Manhattan would be the last place it would occur.

The bases of WTC 2,3,4 are so light and open it's a shame that paranoia is going to cripple the design of WTC 1.
Nuwanda no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #442
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

I am so happy that the little greek orthodox church that was totally destroyed by WTC 2 collapse will be totally rebuilt!!!!

Old September 15th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #443
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_22...nveilsnew.html
Volume 20 Issue 18 | September 14 - 20, 2007

Silverstein unveils new W.T.C. tower details

By Skye H. McFarlane

Rendering by Maki and Associates

Silverstein Properties said Monday that they hope to have some traffic flow down Greenwich St. past Tower 4, above, and the other new buildings. Silverstein also hopes that visible stores and escalators will draw shoppers into the Tower 3 retail complex, below. Meanwhile, a remnant of the old World Trade towers facade, facing page, will be displayed in the memorial museum.

Amid the swirl of 9/11 memories and Deutsche Bank worries last week, Silverstein Properties released a bit of positive news about the World Trade Center site — that the three Greenwich St. towers are on schedule and designed to be both accessible and safe.

At a jam-packed press event Thursday morning and then again at a Community Board 1 meeting Monday night, Silverstein executives presented new renderings for W.T.C. Towers 2, 3 and 4, which will now carry the addresses of 200, 175 and 150 Greenwich St., respectively.

“Thank you so much,” C.B. 1 vice-chairperson Catherine McVay Hughes said after watching the presentation Monday night at 7 W.T.C. “This is so nice to hear something upbeat in our neighborhood, especially today.”

While the press event — also held at 7 W.T.C. — took a broader look at the site’s redevelopment, the C.B. 1 presentation focused in on community priorities like street life and retail.

“We are passionate about making these buildings porous [to pedestrians],” said Janno Lieber, Larry Silverstein’s director of W.T.C. development.

Lieber assured community members that all three towers would have seating in their office lobbies along Greenwich St. Although there will be a security presence in the lobbies, the public will be able to come in and look out over the memorial or enjoy public artwork, such as the large media screen planned for the lobby of Tower 3.

Lieber said that Silverstein, in general, wants the sites to be as accessible and lively as possible — within the constraints of any security protocols the Police Department may enforce. To that end, the designers have tried to make the area’s changes in elevation as subtle and stair-free as possible.

Silverstein Properties is also excited for the return of Greenwich St., which had been eliminated in the 1970s by the old W.T.C. superblock. The new renderings of Greenwich St. show traffic zooming through the area, but Lieber cautioned that the policy on vehicles within the site had yet to be decided. The final traffic pattern, he said, would involve balancing the N.Y.P.D.’s desire for security with the Memorial Foundation’s desire for tour bus access, the office tenants’ desire for black car service and the residents’ desire to eliminate congestion and idling.

As for retail on the site, Lieber stressed that the massive retail corridor, which will face Church St., will be controlled and marketed by the Port Authority. He said that Silverstein was doing its part to promote the retail, however, by making the store areas and access ramps clearly visible from the street.

Although project officials were reluctant to discuss the towers’ safety features at the Thursday press event and refused to say whether the N.Y.P.D. and F.D.N.Y. had signed off on the designs, Lieber was less tight-lipped with the community board. He assured board members that all of the new towers would have the same internal protections as 7 W.T.C., including reinforced concrete cores protecting the stairs, elevators and sprinkler systems; wide stairways with emergency pull-offs and high-tech ventilation systems; and extra-thick fireproofing throughout the structures.

Construction of the Freedom Tower was delayed by over a year when the building was redesigned in response to N.Y.P.D. concerns.

Each of the new Greenwich St. towers also plans to match 7 W.T.C. in achieving a Gold rating from the U.S. Green Buildings Council.

Lieber said that as long as the Port Authority turns over the sites on time and none of the office tenants request any major design changes, Towers 3 and 4 should be ready for occupancy by the end of 2011. The larger Tower 2 will be ready by mid-2012. To keep the project on schedule, the Greenwich St. tower designers are faced with a giant digital countdown clock in their offices at 7 W.T.C. The clock ticks down to April 1, 2008 — the hard deadline for all design documents.

“We’re not kidding. We’ve met every deadline,” Lieber said. “We [at Silverstein Properties] operate differently from a lot of other portions of this project.”

Under an agreement reached last year, the Port Authority must complete the complex sub-grade work for Towers 3 and 4 by the end of the year or face a $300,000 per day penalty. The Tower 2 site is due by July 1, 2008. At the Thursday press conference, the Port’s executive director, Anthony Shorris, said that the agency was fully prepared to hold up its end of the bargain.

“I told the staff that we have to finish by that time, if only so everyone will stop calling me,” Shorris said, drawing laughter from the crowd of reporters.

[email protected]
Old September 15th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #444
Sentient Seas
Industrial Twilight

Likes (Received): 42

Way to go NYC.
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #445
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Tower II base is da shit:

And I even love 4WTC!

Ebola no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #446
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

i like the base of tower 2
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #447
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
i like the base of tower 2
Tower 2 will be the star of the whole complex. Tower 5 if they will build it the way it looks on a rendering now - will be the ugliest.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #448
Ebola
BANNED

I'm glad Foster got rid of the idea of the tower getting darker the lower it goes.

And I use this one as my desktop background (the 5MB version):

Ebola no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM   #449
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

WTC 4 is gonna be beautiful..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:35 AM   #450
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 986

when will this project start??
chinatown no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #451
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

early 2008
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #452
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
This is a great question.

I also considered this in relation to buildings such as Chicago Spire, which is wide open at the base. WTC 1 seems to be the only new building that is featuring this ridiculous base configuration. Besides, if a subsequent attack was planned, lower Manhattan would be the last place it would occur.

The bases of WTC 2,3,4 are so light and open it's a shame that paranoia is going to cripple the design of WTC 1.

And might I add that Tower 2 isn't really that much smaller than the Freedom Tower. I'm really surprised with all the experts on this project that no one has yet offered up a reason.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #453
cfoco
Gimme a moment to think..

Likes (Received): 14

definite love 2wtc by foster...my favorite in the whole complex!!! I too think that this tower will be the Icon of the New WTC, much more than the Freedom tower.
cfoco no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #454
Build
Extra Ordinary = History

Likes (Received): 1

Super. 10 time's classier and style than the all the towers in Dubai.
Build no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #455
DiscoPiratePolarBear

Likes (Received): 1

Does anyone care to have a guess on how tall WTC5 will be? I'm thinking about 700 feet, but it's just a guess.
DiscoPiratePolarBear no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #456
Ebola
BANNED

Over 700 feet, anywhere from 730-770, depending on the trading floors.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #457
Dennis
Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 10

OK, im impressed.

Old September 20th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #458
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09172007...aky_ground.htm
$HAKY GROUND

BUDGET WOES AT 'WTC' AGENCY
By CHUCK BENNETT

September 17, 2007 -- The obscure state agency charged with coordinating about 60 construction projects downtown - including demolition of the former Deutsche Bank building - is going broke, The Post has learned.

Not only has the Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center, which is under Gov. Spitzer's control, been blamed for mismanaging deconstruction of the bank building at Ground Zero, it apparently can't even manage its own budget.

State agencies have refused to transfer millions of dollars to the LMCCC, which has authority over every project south of Canal Street worth more than $25 million, because it cannot provide a satisfactory plan of how the funds would be spent.

Unless changes are made, the LMCCC will have a $3 million deficit by next month, said sources with direct knowledge of the budget.

For instance, the Port Authority, which has several megaprojects downtown, including the World Trade Center transit hub and the Freedom Tower, hasn't paid a cent of the $21.7 million it promised last year.

The money is "contingent on completion of an agreement on how the funds will be used. Since the agreement has not been completed, the funds have not been transferred," PA spokesman Steve Coleman said.

LMCCC leaders, including ex-Executive Director Charles Maikish and current head Robert Harvey, have come under fire for their handling of the demolition of the contaminated bank building.

After an Aug. 18 blaze at the site killed two firefighters, it emerged that numerous safety hazards that contributed to the fire had been ignored.

"We are confident that our partners will fully satisfy their funding commitments," said Errol Cockfield, a spokesman for the state-run Lower Manhattan Development Corp., which manages the LMCCC.

The LMCCC has a five-year, $67 million budget, but Cockfield declined to discuss the state of its finances or why it can't document where the money would go.

The MTA committed $10.4 million to the LMCCC, but also hasn't transferred any cash. Jeremy Soffin, an MTA spokesman, said the matter was being looked into.

And the state Department of Transportation's $2.6 million commitment has yet to reach the LMCCC's coffers.

[email protected]
Old September 20th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #459
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007..._world_tr.html
White House veto could hurt new World Trade Center
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BY DEVLIN BARRETT
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Monday, September 17th 2007, 6:23 PM

The White House threatened Monday to veto a bill that would add 15 years to a post-Sept. 11 government insurance program which supporters say is critical for major projects like the new World Trade Center.

The Terrorism Risk Insurance Act, or TRIA, was one of a series of bills passed by Congress in the wake of the 2001 attacks. It is due to expire this year, and the House of Representatives had planned to vote this week on a 15-year extension.

If the current version of the bill reaches President Bush, his advisers will recommend a veto, the White House Office of Management and Budget said in a statement Monday.

The Bush administration said the government should get out of the insurance business in the near future and end the TRIA program, which is essentially a backstop mechanism to ensure terrorism insurance is available and affordable for major projects and buildings.

"The administration strongly opposes efforts to expand the federal government's role in terrorism reinsurance. The most efficient, lowest cost, and most innovative methods of providing terrorism risk insurance will come from the private sector," budget officials wrote.

"I strongly disagree," said Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y. "TRIA is absolutely essentially, and we will continue to support it and work for it one step at a time."

Businesses, particularly in New York, claim that without the program they will not be able to get insurance coverage for nuclear, biological, chemical, and radiological attacks, and some local officials fear without the government program they may not even be able to rebuild the World Trade Center site.

If buildings can't be insured, banks may not lend money to build them, insurance groups argue.

The current program provides a federal insurance backup for catastrophic losses suffered in a terrorist attack, which the insurance industry says is needed because such attacks are so expensive and hard to predict. Under the bill headed for a House vote, the program can only be triggered when the amount of property and casualty losses reach $100 million.

The White House is worried over the potential long-term cost of the legislation, noting that a 10-year version could cost more than $10 billion, according to one estimate.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., charged the veto threat "is putting ideology ahead of economic growth."

The terrorism insurance program, Schumer said "is essential to construction and growth in many of our large cities. It is particularly needed now as the economy softens."
Old September 22nd, 2007, 04:04 AM   #460
Ebola
BANNED

I just realized that 2WTC may be the 3rd or 4th tallest skyscraper in North America to the roof, and maybe in total height too b/c of the height increase.

By the way, Maki's the man.

Last edited by Ebola; September 22nd, 2007 at 04:14 AM.
Ebola no está en línea  

Closed Thread