daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old September 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #501
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
Tag_one you won't be making any friends in here any time soon by downgrading New York. Read the top of the homepage and then tell me what it says. If it says SKYSCRAPERCITY.COM then you are correct. Hate to inform all those ny haters and downgraders out there but ny pioneered the skyscraper, has one of the most diverse collections of skyscrapers, a huge headstart, and still going strong... so why does everyone hope to beat that? Why does it seem that only New York construction, and proposal threads turn into this? I've been here for 4 years and this has been going on since I came here. It's ridiculous that New York threads turn out this way. When the title of this forum says Canalcity.com, or Mountaincity.com, or 17THcenturychurchspires.com then I think it would be appropriate to look down on New York.. by jumping ahead of New York you would need to first: Build up not only art deco, beaux arts, and neo classical skyscrapers, but fill in 200 city blocks north to south and 12 avenues east to west with as many midrises, then add in modernism by the buttload, then toss in pomo by the buttload, then add all those funky glass scrapers.. when you are as multi dimensional as Manhattan too boot then New York is definetly falling behind but until then I'd still say Chicago and New York still have the edge.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM   #502
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

alright. I'm not a NY hater, I do not hate the US. My god why do people only think in black and white.
When I say that New York is not the city with the most skyscrapers than that is NOT an attack on the US or NY.
When I say that that I think that NY is not the most important place in the world than that is not an attack to any person in NY. I would say washington DC is more important. Politics control the economy. I give my opinion, I thought we where all cared about freedom of speech...
Tag_one no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #503
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojapo View Post
There are other cities with newer, taller towers, but not a city in the world can compare to the history and styles of buildings as NY. The skyscraper may have been invented in Chicago, but was perfected in NY.
Even as a Chicagoan, I really can't disagree. The guy saying New York is not the World's most important city is simply living in denial. The U.S. still is the single most important force worldwide, and New York is it's most important city. Yes you could make the case for the PRC, but even then it's either Shanghai or Hong Kong, and it's not clear there. NYC has the most important financial, commercial, and industrial amalgams, and beyond that it's got the most important two stock exchanges!
depressio no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #504
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

The way I see it, it's kind of like Rocky IV, if anybody has seen it.
Rocky and Drago. Drago may have been bigger, with complex and ostentatious machinery to help him, but Rocky was old school and had perseverance. Of course he prevailed.
Likewise, there might be cities with bigger and taller buildings, but when you talk about intrinsic value, what is Dubai? It is a desert that rich pioneers have turned into a tourist destination to make money.

The bottom line is, don't mess with New York, or I must break you.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #505
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojapo View Post
Not a city in the world can compare to the history and styles of buildings as NY.
I disagree, but let's come back on topic

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #506
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09192007...ize_counts.htm
FOR MERRILL, SIZE COUNTS

HUNT FOR N.Y. HEADQUARTERS

September 19, 2007 -- MERRILL Lynch executives say the three possible locations in the city for a new headquarters remain candidates, though none of them is ideal.

That's because with the city popping at the seams, and no ideal location available to accommodate the type of floor plan envisioned by the bulge-bracket firm, none is a sure bet.

What Merrill execs did tell us was that size matters and that the lower Manhattan options at the new World Trade Center and World Financial Center are simply too small and would force the bank to develop a second building in Jersey City.

But the financial giant also worries that Vornado Realty Trust's Hotel Pennsylvania site, across from Madison Garden, is not attractive enough to employees.

It is also described as too "iffy," as it needs prolonged civic and city variances and approvals to be as large enough to fill the bank's needs - at least 3 million square feet with one large 80,000-foot trading floor.

"Hudson Yards [on the West Side near the Javits Center] is just not ready yet and we're not pioneers," said one top Merrill executive, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, adding the development plans for an area now made up of railroad tracks is still on the city's drawing boards.

Competing Brookfield Properties' and Silverstein Properties' proposals call for several smaller trading floors, but Merrill traders say they need eye contact with multiple co-workers to make proper bids and therefore feel they must be on one floor.

Brookfield's proposal for a 500,000-foot expansion of 2 World Financial Center would still leave Merrill 20 percent short on its trading floor needs.

Meanwhile, Silverstein Properties' upcoming new Tower 3 at the World Trade Center site comes up 15 percent short, and faces another hurdle for Merrill - the rents he's seeking.

Said the Merrill source of Larry Silverstein: "He's insane in terms of the numbers he's throwing around."

Both the Brookfield and Silverstein sites would require the expense of building and operating a second tower to accommodate a move by 3,000 to 5,000 people who won't fit into either of the two downtown options.

"We need flexibility going forward. It is a critical [need]," added our source. "[No one wants] to be the bonehead who built us the wrong trading floor 10 years from now."

Of course, they could put up with any of it anywhere if given some underlying support, i.e., some help with variances and review timelines, some tax relief off this and some energy pumped in from that - stuff that puts competitiveness back into their mix.

That's because Merrill executives glower as rival Goldman Sachs, after receiving massive subsidies, builds its own 2.1 million foot headquarters smack in the middle of Merrill's World Financial Center territory.

"They put $600 million into our competitor's pocket," complained one Merrill Lynch official. "At a bare minimum, we know that . . . first and foremost, we are at a competitive disadvantage to the guys going up across the street - and they will have rocket speed execution.

"We're not threatening to move our headquarters to New Jersey - we are being honest and saying we want to remain here, but the city seems indifferent to our needs," the official continued.

"If they really want New York City to remain the financial capital they need to figure out what they have to do to make the companies competitive and not penalize them."

A Merrill spokesman declined comment on our findings and a call for a response from Deputy Mayor Dan Doctoroff was not returned by press time.

Jones Lang LaSalle is working with Merrill, which is expected to make a decision in the next few weeks.
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #507
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag_one View Post
alright. I'm not a NY hater, I do not hate the US. My god why do people only think in black and white.
When I say that New York is not the city with the most skyscrapers than that is NOT an attack on the US or NY.
When I say that that I think that NY is not the most important place in the world than that is not an attack to any person in NY. I would say washington DC is more important. Politics control the economy. I give my opinion, I thought we where all cared about freedom of speech...

I was actually just generally speaking Tag_one. Didn't mean to single you out as a "hater" just want to point out that there are quite a few on this board and some are pretty open about it while others are more discrete. If I was going to paint it in black and white I wouldn't go into detail at all.
I wouldn't give my opinion on why I think people are mistaken to point out New York is falling behind. If I was painting it in black and white I would just point out the obvious, and say nothing else. I think instead, I've given you a good reason on why I think differently.
The whole "falling behind" statement is somewhat juvenile. Take into consideration that what is being done over in Dubai and Shanghai has already been done here. Not to mention that a city who has a 100 year head start is still developing, proposing and constructing far more than many other places.
I think we should all wait even 10 years and see if these 2 places are building at the same rate. Lets see what happens when you actually have to fill these things in order to maintain them. Lets see how well they are kept and how long they stay filled. Booms have come and gone here time and time again.. the 20's and 30's saw a tremendous boom. Not so much in the 40's or 50's. The 60's and 70's saw a huge boom.. the 80's saw a large boom, the 90's not so much, today we are going pretty strong. That says alot.
It may not mean that today we will match up in height or that we will go nutts building 500 foot tall residentials everywhere, or build tall where we don't need to.. but we live in a society where there are ups and downs and with one you can expect another to follow.
"Catching up" and "falling behind" is also an insult because I'd like to think the status of the city is pretty much solidified enough to not have to fall under any category and if anyone is going to be doing the catching up then it is those places that are just now attracting any reason whatsoever to build up.

Also if you read my post it was moreso a question of why do New York threads seem to attract these groups of losers who love to promote another city while downgrading New York. Ok I've seen some Dubai threads turn sour but none moreso than New York that take this type of beating to their construction threads. It almost seems like people look for the smallest reasons to denigrate the place. If you look at almost every big development thread for a New York building.. Freedom tower, Nytt, Boa ( not so much), then you will understand what I mean.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202

Last edited by nygirl; September 26th, 2007 at 01:34 AM.
nygirl no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #508
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

NY is #1

in case mr.Tag_one didn't know...read on...........

New York City is a global hub of international business and commerce and is one of three "command centers" for the world economy (along with London and Tokyo).

The city is a major center for finance, insurance, real estate, media and the arts in the United States. The New York metropolitan area had an estimated gross metropolitan product of $952.6 billion in 2005, the largest regional economy in the United States.

The city's economy accounts for the majority of the economic activity in the states of New York and New Jersey. Many major corporations are headquartered in New York City, including 44 Fortune 500 companies. New York is also unique among American cities for its large number of foreign corporations. One out of ten private sector jobs in the city is with a foreign company.

New York City is home to some of the nation's — and world's — most valuable real estate. 450 Park Avenue was sold on July 2, 2007 for $510 million, about $1,589 per square foot ($17,104/mē), breaking the barely month-old record for an American office building of $1,476 per square foot ($15,887/mē) set in the June 2007 sale of 660 Madison Avenue.

Last edited by Carlos123; September 26th, 2007 at 09:37 AM.
Carlos123 no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #509
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

WTC 2 and FT are my favorites.. They're so beautiful

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #510
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

absolutely!
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #511
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Amazing; if you add these 3 towers up their height comes to a whopping
1080 meters
that's 3,544 feet

now add in the FT, and you've got a large set of buildings here.
just thought I'd chime in with that.

here's to hoping they are all built to these heights
Old September 27th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #512
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

It's possible that several more trading floors may be added to Tower 3 because Merrill wants a lot of trading space and Larry may want to hook them.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #513
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
It's possible that several more trading floors may be added to Tower 3 because Merrill wants a lot of trading space and Larry may want to hook them.
Something along the lines of 10 more floors and 14% more office space for tower 3 supposedly. But that would involve alterations to the site plan so it really is all speculation right now.
ramvid01 no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #514
Ebola
BANNED

Hmm, that could mean Tower 3 being as tall or taller than Tower 2, which may mean a height increase for Tower 2 too, and while we're at it, why not increase Tower 4 to around 1,100' too?

Well, even if getting more floors in 3WTC means waiting a few more months before construction starts, then I am willing to wait because Tower 3 is the greatest in the world.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #515
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

^I could not agree with you more Ebola. Looking at a rendering of Tower 3 can turn a really bad day into the best day of the week.
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #516
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28297

especially when its height would be increased
Eric Offereins no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #517
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Hmm, that could mean Tower 3 being as tall or taller than Tower 2, which may mean a height increase for Tower 2 too, and while we're at it, why not increase Tower 4 to around 1,100' too?

Well, even if getting more floors in 3WTC means waiting a few more months before construction starts, then I am willing to wait because Tower 3 is the greatest in the world.
and besides they can also increase the roof height of FT......
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #518
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
and besides they can also increase the roof height of FT......
hehehehe that would be PERFECT

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #519
Ebola
BANNED

Let's say Freedom Tower's roof height was exactly 100 feet taller with a spire 100 feet shorter. Then no one would complain at all. But the reason it is what it is is because the gov. of NY thought that having a building that looked exactly like the old towers would be symbolic of how we put back what was taken from us. I can see his point, but I would have added at least 100 feet to FT's roof. There was a time when Gov. Pataki and David Childs were fighting over the roof height and they compromised that it should be the same as the Twin Tower's height. There have been so many changes that it's safe to say that we may wind up with a 10,000' tall building.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old September 27th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #520
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

This is not city v. city... Let's get back on topic, please.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea  

Closed Thread