daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 8th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #41
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13220

The project is amazing, a new skyline for the city.
potipoti no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #42
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 111

Why do these towers have such few floors? 408m and only 76floors? This seems strange to me.
jet2sp@ce no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #43
JACK NAPIER
"Think about the future!"

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Why do these towers have such few floors? 408m and only 76floors? This seems strange to me.
Floor plates are large.
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:12 PM   #44
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

very nice....cant wait till the real action start to take place....excavation...cranes..steel...o boy....but one thing...no diss on the thread i think each building deserves its on thread....i mean where in the world do you find...3 supertall in such close range u/c at the same time...?
NO WHERE BUT AMERICA
FastFerrari no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #45
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
very nice....cant wait till the real action start to take place....excavation...cranes..steel...o boy....but one thing...no diss on the thread i think each building deserves its on thread....i mean where in the world do you find...3 supertall in such close range u/c at the same time...?
NO WHERE BUT AMERICA

Or maybe, Dubai.!!!????
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #46
alonzo-ny
Thermobaric Thagomizer

Likes (Received): 1188

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICONLA1 View Post
Or maybe, Dubai.!!!????
not this close together. look how close tower 3 and 4 are to each other. dubai isnt very dense.
alonzo-ny no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #47
Lance
Most ignored user!

Likes (Received): 3

2 questions....

1) I can see WTC 7.... designs and work going on for 1-5... where is 6?

2) WTC1 will be halfway up by the time these other 3/4 get going... how can they transport that much material without congesting the place if all towers will be U/C at the same time. There really isn't that much room there. I would imagine even the river would get a bit busy sometimes. Is there a storage site nearby or something so they can make short hops?
Lance no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #48
Landaus60

Likes (Received): 2

Silverstein Eyes Progress on His Towers

http://www.tribecatrib.com/news/news...ilverstein.htm

By Etta Sanders
POSTED APRIL 30, 2007

The digital clock, red and glowing, counted down silently to the next deadline: 72 days, 13 hours, 37 minutes to go.

It was 10 a.m. on a recent Thursday and 25 architects, engineers, consultants and project managers were seated around a conference table on the 10th floor of 7 World Trade Center. At one end of the room, tall windows overlooked the World Trade Center site directly below. At the other end of the room stood a blank screen where a team from the architectural firm of Maki and Associates waited to make their monthly presentation to their client, Larry Silverstein.

Silverstein arrived shortly after 10. He took a seat at the front of the table closest to the screen. Behind him sat Mickey Kupperman, an executive with Silverstein Properties and overseer of one of the largest and most high-profile construction projects in the world: the building of three enormous office towers and hundreds of thousands of square feet of retail space. The towers are designed by the renowned architects, Norman Foster, Richard Rogers, and Fumihiko Maki.

At 10:10, Silverstein clapped his hands twice, loudly.

“OK, let’s go,” he said.

The two-hour presentation would be dominated by a single topic, the glass curtain wall of the 974-foot, 61-story Tower 4 that will rise at the corner of Greenwich and Liberty Streets. It is just one of the countless details, large and small, that teams for the three architects will wrestle with in the months leading up to the construction of the giant towers. Here, on an entire floor turned into a design studio, is where the three projects are being developed in tandem in a collaboration that is perhaps unprecedented in scale. “Foster Rogers Maki,” a sign on the glass entrance reads.

On this day, Gary Kamemoto, director of the Maki project, showed images of views from inside and outside Tower 4. Midway through the meeting, Fumihiko Maki, who had flown in from Tokyo, entered the room, taking a seat across from Silverstein.

The presentation prompted regular interruptions from the developer, the push and pull of budget versus aesthetic a recurrent theme.

“I’m concerned about the longevity, the wearability of the surface. It’s totally exposed.” “Do you know what the cost difference will be?” “What is the affect from within? I’d like to see what it looks like standing from within.” “What troubles me is the lack of symmetry,” Silverstein commented about a tall, diagonal element on the building’s front

“We are taking great care not to have a prosaic office building,“ Kamemoto responded.

After the presentation, the group moved to an outer room where they examined samples of the glass. Silverstein sat facing the Trade Center site and looked through the glass, trying to picture its appearance from inside the new building.

“This would be throughout the tower? One hundred percent from floor to ceiling,” Silverstein said, answering his own question. He pondered a few minutes more. “You know what? A mock-up makes sense,” he said.

“So we can proceed with constructing this almost immediately,” Kamemoto responded.

Despite his sometimes brusque questioning and no-nonsense manner, Silverstein pronounced himself pleased with what he had seen.

“I think things are going very well,” he said, then turned to Maki. “Your associates have done a superb job.” The two white-haired men of about the same age left together for a brief private meeting.

For everyone else, it was time to get back to work.

Roughly 75 to 100 people work out of the studio at one time, including representatives from the three main architectural firms as well as outside engineers. The largest contingent is from Adamson Associates, the architect of record for the entire project. There are a dozen rows of desks aligned into long tables that fill a room which spans an entire block, from Vesey to Barclay Streets. Along more than half that distance is a plain sheetrock wall papered with 3-foot by 5-foot renderings and schematics. Throughout the day reams of schemes and fresh printouts are tacked up around the room for frequent technical meetings.

Each month’s work is punctuated with a presentation to Silverstein on the three buildings.

The Maki meeting on Tower 4 was the last, affording everyone a breather from what some describe as an intense work atmosphere. As each building’s group ramps up for the next presentation, the pressure builds.

“On Wednesday, we were frantic,” said Rich Garlock, a structural engineer on Tower 4. “On Tuesday, Rogers was frantic. It definitely gets crazy.”

A few rows away, Margaret Sedyka, an Adamson architect and one of fewer than 10 women in the room, was puzzling over how stairs, parking and exhaust shafts will come together at grade.

Nearby, engineers Jason Hogle and Adriano Scacchi consulted together on fire protection systems for all the towers.

Towards the back of the room an architect with Foster and partners, Tomasso Fantoni, worked on the building’s intricate slanted, notched top. “Today we are trying to put together the top of Tower 2,” he said. “It’s really a challenging composition.”

While there is a lot of coming and going in the studio (most of the Adamson team shuttles between New York and Toronto; the Foster, Maki and Rogers teams do most of the design work back in their home offices in Tokyo and London), the three teams often collaborate at the 7 WTC studio, where they sit at adjacent tables. “We share the problems and try to resolve them together,” said Fantoni.

And there are no secrets, said Michael Jelliffe, of Foster and Partners. “You can’t be secretive in a place like this,” he said. “Everything goes up on the wall.”

The three buildings, unveiled by Silverstein Properties last September and known as Towers 2, 3 and 4 (the Freedom Tower being Tower 1) will spiral in rising heights from 974 feet to over 1,200 feet, for a total of more than 200 stories. The projects are divided into four phases, ending with the development of construction drawings that will lead to expected groundbreaking for Towers 2 and 3 by early next year.

The clock is now counting down on the design development phase, which ends July 1. It hangs at the front of the room where it is hard for the architects and engineers to ignore as they come and go.

“It’s scary,” said Hogle. “You try not to look at it.”

When the clock hit zero at the end of the second phase of the project on March 31, Grace Shabo, an electrical engineer, said she and about a dozen of her colleagues gathered beneath it, shook hands and “breathed a sigh of relief.”

That relief didn’t last long; the clock was reset a week later. For now, with many days, hours and minutes remaining, Shabo said the stress does not seem so bad.

“But when there’s about two weeks left,” she said, “it starts to tick louder.”
Landaus60 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #49
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

^ great article
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #50
Northern Lotus

Likes (Received): 37

It is interesting to note that in counting the floors, there are no 'escape' floors. I saw a 'Discovery channel' story showing the differences between Hong Kong building code and NY's. In Hong Kong, all highrises require intervals of every 20 or so floors as 'escape' floors so if one staircase is blocked by fire, people can switch to another staircase via the escape floor. Secondly, staircases in Hong Kong has to be at least 4' wide so people can go up and down at the sametime. This was missing in the original WTC as fireman were trying to go up while people were trying to come down and the staircases were not wide enough for both hence slowing down the escape. I understand that the newly built building 7 has not implemented wider staircases.
Northern Lotus no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:15 AM   #51
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

i love those towers..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #52
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lotus View Post
It is interesting to note that in counting the floors, there are no 'escape' floors. I saw a 'Discovery channel' story showing the differences between Hong Kong building code and NY's. In Hong Kong, all highrises require intervals of every 20 or so floors as 'escape' floors so if one staircase is blocked by fire, people can switch to another staircase via the escape floor. Secondly, staircases in Hong Kong has to be at least 4' wide so people can go up and down at the sametime. This was missing in the original WTC as fireman were trying to go up while people were trying to come down and the staircases were not wide enough for both hence slowing down the escape. I understand that the newly built building 7 has not implemented wider staircases.
7 WTC does have wider staircases than the old WTC.
ramvid01 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:39 AM   #53
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

good thread with some good discussion
those three buildings are going to be great.

Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys
Don Omar no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #54
Vengineer

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
2 questions....

1) I can see WTC 7.... designs and work going on for 1-5... where is 6?

2) WTC1 will be halfway up by the time these other 3/4 get going... how can they transport that much material without congesting the place if all towers will be U/C at the same time. There really isn't that much room there. I would imagine even the river would get a bit busy sometimes. Is there a storage site nearby or something so they can make short hops?
1) Tower 6 is skipped.

2) This is New York... skyscraper construction has been done this way for decades. We simply don't have the luxury of wide open spaces like most cities. We use something called logistics and ingenuity. Both the NY Times and 1 Bryant Park Towers were constructed using no staging areas except for the curb on city streets. Precision logistics brings in each shipment of columns or equipments via a flatbed truck and hoisted directly onto a tower crane and installed. Bada Bing. This is part of the reason why it costs billions of dollars to build a tower in New York City. Another reason being that construction workers in New York are considered skilled trade workers and enjoy compensations and benefits almost matching that of white collared workers. Labor is extremely expensive. That's why if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Last edited by Vengineer; May 10th, 2007 at 04:56 AM.
Vengineer no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #55
Vengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
In all 4 towers, including Tower 1, there are double sometimes triple story mechanical floors and lobbies which are omitted from the floor count. For instance, on Tower 2, the first floor you count occurs 269 feet above street level. So the floor count you see is the amount of 'rentable' floors you have.

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Vengineer no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:04 AM   #56
AM Putra

Likes (Received): 5

4WTC not so cool. By they way, does the WTC Transportation Hub is designed by Santiago Calatrava?
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #57
LouisvilleJake
BOILERMAKER

Foster's WTC 2 Tower is just jaw-dropping. Awesome.
LouisvilleJake no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #58
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisvilleJake View Post
Foster's WTC 2 Tower is just jaw-dropping. Awesome.
I agree, but just imagine if it was 20 floors taller.!!!!
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #59
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
not this close together. look how close tower 3 and 4 are to each other. dubai isnt very dense.
In the Dubai marina there is what is called the "super block" where there will be 6 to 8, 70+ story condominium towers, on one block, very dense. (i believe 3 towers are complete.)
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #60
alonzo-ny
Thermobaric Thagomizer

Likes (Received): 1188

could u direct me to the thread, would like to see!
alonzo-ny no está en línea  

Closed Thread