daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:53 PM   #681
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

It took me 90 seconds to find the tower cranes in the last picture.
Ebola no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2007, 09:20 PM   #682
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Thanks for those pics. The first one has the crane lifting what seems to be the machinery that is under escalators into the PATH temp. station. Nice!
ramvid01 no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 01:32 AM   #683
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

great pics!!!
romanamerican no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:29 AM   #684
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

finally some new pics, ty

anybody have any idea what that crane is lifting, whats that used for?

and $300.000 penalty just for a day, ouch, a week late and a million went down a toilet
webeagle12 no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 06:03 AM   #685
Ebola
BANNED

A week late and over two million goes down the toilet for the PA, but it ain't going to happen.

The smaller crane was lifting an escalator for the temporary PATH station next to Freedom Tower.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:15 AM   #686
abc

Likes (Received): 313

taken nov 5th
[IMG][/IMG]
abc no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 08:31 AM   #687
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
A week late and over two million goes down the toilet for the PA, but it ain't going to happen.

The smaller crane was lifting an escalator for the temporary PATH station next to Freedom Tower.
omg I'm glad there is going to be no delay. I would like to give a big "thank you" to smaller crane because he finally lifted an escalator.

Last edited by webeagle12; November 23rd, 2007 at 12:11 PM.
webeagle12 no está en línea  
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:01 PM   #688
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007...tion_pr-1.html
Contractor set to pour WTC foundation; prosecutors claim mob money ties

BY DOUGLAS FEIDEN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, November 23rd 2007, 4:00 AM

A contractor that prosecutors say made regular payments to a mob-infiltrated labor union will pour the foundations of two World Trade Center towers.

Developer Larry Silverstein has tapped Yonkers Contracting Co. to create the 85-foot-deep foundations for Towers 3 and 4 on the west side of Church St.

The $40 million job is expected to get underway in January and take six months.

In 2004, federal prosecutors in Brooklyn said the company had for years paid off corrupt officials of Local 15 of the Operating Engineers and that the union had long been linked to the Colombo crime family.

Yonkers was never charged with a crime, vigorously denies any mob taint and says it's proud of other work at Ground Zero, including removing contaminated materials and rebuilding the PATH station.

"This is really old news," said John Kolaya, the firm's executive vice president. "The allegations were found to be without merit, we were never charged with anything and the investigation was dropped."

Prosecutors had said in court filings that Yonkers paid $50,000 a year to Local 15 for "union favors," meaning the union would look the other way if nonunion workers were used on a union job.

Yonkers also has been hit with safety issues. In 2000, a nonunion Yonkers employee plunged to his death in the East River after heavy winds blew him off a Manhattan Bridge catwalk. The federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration faulted the company for failing to train the worker and allowing him to work without a harness.

Asked about Yonkers, Silverstein spokesman Bud Perrone said, "We're confident that Yonkers will perform their work to the highest standards of professionalism," as they have on the WTC site, the Van Wyck Expressway and other jobs.
Old November 24th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #689
JACK NAPIER
"Think about the future!"

Likes (Received): 5

Maki's WTC-4 has grown on me since it's conception. The minimalist style of Japanese architecture is simple and in the details. The transparent, elegant skin of WTC-4 is not shown in this rendering.
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #690
Ebola
BANNED

HOLY COW!!!

I was watching a new video from www.wtc.com and saw an updated picture that showed how they wil be lit at night:

For 4WTC: the front of the roof will have a strip of light across the top and the same for the setback section too along with light coming out of the indents in the corner
3WTC: the bracing will be lit and it extends to the spires too with the crown of steel and glass lit up with a different method
2WTC: the four diamonds will all be outlines with a strip of light and even the crest too, and I suppose it will emit light from the top as suggest by the older renderings

Edit: I snapped it:

I've never seen this before. I hope we get a better quality. It seems like there are a few new renderings/ect that have yet to be released to the public, like one showing the strong relationship between Towers 3 and 4 and how they create new open space in the middle where they meet.

There also seems to be new videos of the tower models, but they aren't loading.

Last edited by Ebola; November 25th, 2007 at 08:24 AM.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #691
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_237/wtcneighbors.html
Volume 20, Number 28 | The Newspaper of Lower Manhattan | November 23 - 30, 2007

W.T.C. neighbors make noise over construction noise

By Julie Shapiro

Continuous noise from the World Trade Center construction site is getting unbearable, residents say.

“It has been horrific and it has been ongoing,” said Pat Moore, who lives at 125 Cedar St. “The people who were victimized on 9/11 continue to be victimized six years later.”

Consequently, Community Board 1 was interested to hear the Department of Environmental Protection’s recent suggestion: Build a plywood fence around the site.

Charles Sturcken, chief of staff for environmental compliance at the D.E.P., mentioned the idea at the Nov. 15 meeting of the Quality of Life Committee.

“It would do a lot to mitigate noise coming from the construction site,” he said.

The city requires most construction companies to build plywood fences around their sites, but the Port Authority is exempt from city rules and generally uses chain-link fences, Sturcken said. He urged the board to “keep the pressure” on the Port Authority to build a plywood fence, and said he would work with the Downtown Alliance as well.

Moore, who did not attend last week’s meeting, had mixed feelings after hearing about the suggestion.

“I’m all for anything that would work,” she said. “But I have no idea if that would help.”

At an earlier meeting, a Port Authority representative told Moore, chairperson of the Quality of Life Committee, that a wall wouldn’t do any good. Moore is also concerned that the wood fence could be a fire hazard. And then there’s the problem of constructing the fence, which would presumably add to the noise Moore faces on a daily basis.

The Port Authority is planning to meet with C.B. 1 this week. Steve Coleman, a Port spokesperson, said the agency has continually worked with residents to address noise complaints.

Steven Abramson, who lives at 114 Liberty St., is skeptical about the fence.

“I doubt that would help,” he said.

Abramson likened noise to cold air, which wends through any opening and spreads under, over or through barriers.

“It might blunt some of [the noise] from street level,” Abramson said, “but from up higher I don’t see how it could.”

Mark Scherzer, a 125 Cedar St. resident, would want an expert opinion before deciding whether to support a plywood fence.

“My lay instinct is that it’s probably not going to be effective,” Scherzer said. “It’s hard to imagine that they would [build a fence] that would be tall enough to do anything.”

Scherzer lives on the 13th floor and still hears the high-pitched beeping of trucks backing up, loudly and clearly. If that noise is already echoing through the site’s deep pit, Scherzer questioned how much extra protection a short fence would provide. And if the Port Authority built a taller fence, “that might be a hazard in and of itself,” Scherzer said.

“Limiting the hours of work would be more effective,” he added.

For now, the construction’s hours are anything but limited.

The Port is working 20 hours a day in a crunch before the Dec. 31 deadline, when it must turn part of the site over to Silverstein Properties to build Towers 3 and 4. The agency faces a fine of $300,000 a day for going past the deadline.

“They just care about meeting the deadline, and to heck with quality of life,” Moore said.

Residents have struggled to adapt to ever-changing construction schedules that start at all hours of the night.

“People have surrendered their evenings, but they don’t like to surrender their midnight-to-6 a.m. shift,” Scherzer said. “[Construction noise is] definitely intruding on both ends.”

To cope, Scherzer spends as much time out of town as he can, and uses white noise when at home. “You do, to some degree, learn to sleep through this stuff,” he said.

C.B. 1 member Barry Skolnick questioned the allowed noise levels at the Quality of Life Committee, but many usual city rules don’t apply to Port Authority.

“There is no [noise] level that Port Authority is required to be below,” said Josh Rosenbloom, director of city operations at the Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center.

Between the jackhammers that shake the building and the rumbling, beeping trucks, all at 5 a.m., Moore has had enough.

“I just don’t understand why they can’t do something to mitigate the noise,” she said. “Well, I do know why: They don’t care.”

[email protected]
Old November 26th, 2007, 05:42 AM   #692
Ebola
BANNED

Wow, the people who are saying that the PA doesn't care about anyone or their quality of life need to get a freaking life. It's the largest project in the US; it's going to be quite loud for a long time. There are no laws the PA has to follow about noice so its the residents' fault for not getting something done, like advocating a sound barrier.
BTW, if you think noise problems will cause delays from trying to appease locals, you have lost it.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #693
sam-whit-kid
'what are digits?'

Likes (Received): 1

i dont like really loud constant noise... and i have walked by and it was a lillte loud. but thay moore guy is just a big old wuss. he made his complaint so personal to himself that nothing will come of it.

him saying that he knows why its noisy because PA dont care is really pathetic. just get a life u crybaby. if he lives so close to te actual site then he cant exactly be a pauper who lives in a box on the street. he probably lives about 45 floors up in the sky. Idiot, pretending to care.

anf omg. not to acrry on the rant but WTH is he going on abou hevictims of 9/11 still being victimized by noise! thats disgusting. how could he compare a little noise to thousands of people killed in a terrorist attack.
DAMIT!
sam-whit-kid no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #694
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Allways something huh. I personally would be proud of the noise, (allthough i'm used to it, being in hirise construction myself) and a plywood fence would do little to stop it, so all i can say is "deal with it...!!!!"
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #695
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

can we go on topic again pls?!
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #696
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

I think some of these articles are sort of redundant and useless. If it was about construction delays, schedule, or pertaining to actual construction it would be useful but some of the articles like this one regarding noise pollution are just pointless fluff.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea  
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #697
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
HOLY COW!!!

I was watching a new video from www.wtc.com and saw an updated picture that showed how they wil be lit at night:

For 4WTC: the front of the roof will have a strip of light across the top and the same for the setback section too along with light coming out of the indents in the corner
3WTC: the bracing will be lit and it extends to the spires too with the crown of steel and glass lit up with a different method
2WTC: the four diamonds will all be outlines with a strip of light and even the crest too, and I suppose it will emit light from the top as suggest by the older renderings

Edit: I snapped it:

I've never seen this before. I hope we get a better quality. It seems like there are a few new renderings/ect that have yet to be released to the public, like one showing the strong relationship between Towers 3 and 4 and how they create new open space in the middle where they meet.

There also seems to be new videos of the tower models, but they aren't loading.
Damn, that's going to look unfreakenbelieveabley awesome . And for the people that are complaining about the noise, they should have anticipated this and moved out a long time ago . I'm no sound engineer, but I'm guessing that a plywood fence isn't going to help that much.
Chi649 no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #698
TheGlobalizer

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
“It has been horrific and it has been ongoing,” said Pat Moore, who lives at 125 Cedar St. “The people who were victimized on 9/11 continue to be victimized six years later.”
Some people are just so ******* ignorant.

What a self-serving thing to say.
TheGlobalizer no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #699
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

I think what that dude meant was:

Many people who lived in the immediate vicinity or within a certain distance had to move out. Alot of folks spent weeks & months away from their homes during that time. It was an unfortunate inconvenience for them and I'd gather that in the time they came back the effort to clean up had its disturbances. Since they began construction I guess it is all coming back. Victimized in that kind of way.

I still have little sympathy for them. Its going to happen and there is no way to sound proof it. So I guess you either suck it up, rent or move somewhere else, or cry about it in the newspaper.. it all still means zilch. You feel bad but then again where's my violin so I can play a tune so that... u can cry me a river.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #700
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

It's a fiddle but it should suffice NYGirl
ramvid01 no está en línea  

Closed Thread