daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 27th, 2007, 04:36 AM   #701
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
HOLY COW!!!

I was watching a new video from www.wtc.com and saw an updated picture that showed how they wil be lit at night:

For 4WTC: the front of the roof will have a strip of light across the top and the same for the setback section too along with light coming out of the indents in the corner
3WTC: the bracing will be lit and it extends to the spires too with the crown of steel and glass lit up with a different method
2WTC: the four diamonds will all be outlines with a strip of light and even the crest too, and I suppose it will emit light from the top as suggest by the older renderings

Edit: I snapped it:

I've never seen this before. I hope we get a better quality. It seems like there are a few new renderings/ect that have yet to be released to the public, like one showing the strong relationship between Towers 3 and 4 and how they create new open space in the middle where they meet.

There also seems to be new videos of the tower models, but they aren't loading.
Hey what video was that taken from? Cause I wanna watch it lol.

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #702
NYguy

Likes (Received): 4

NOVEMBER 25, 2007

Site of Tower 2, and the "survivors stairs"...

In just over a month, the mighty Towers 3, and 4 will rise, summoned from
the pit known as ground zero...

Last edited by NYguy; November 27th, 2007 at 05:46 PM.
NYguy no está en línea  
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #703
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

when will they remove the stairs? i thought it should hapen already this month
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #704
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28194

Are they going to? I guess there is some emotional value to them.
Eric Offereins no está en línea  
Old November 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM   #705
Prince Victor
••• Yo ♥ Rep Dom •••

Likes (Received): 14

Wow...great photos. thanks for the pictures and updating.

██████████████_ ██████████████
Provincias Unidas de Dominicana
██████████████_ ██████████████
Prince Victor no está en línea  
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #706
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Are they going to? I guess there is some emotional value to them.
i believe there was an article in which they said it will be removed before the end of 2007
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old November 29th, 2007, 03:41 AM   #707
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Great pictures!

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #708
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Only a few more weeks to go you guys!! I'm assuming they're working on the parking that will be located below the buildings now. I always wondered if they will have security in the garages to keep terroists from trying to use explosives again.
rogerick1970 no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #709
outbackbox

Likes (Received): 2

will this just finish already! arrgh! i want it to be done by the time I come home... say.. christmas???
outbackbox no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #710
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

^Fat chance.

Next year is going to be very exciting at the WTC site!
Old December 11th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #711
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

4WTC is really 298 meters tall (over 970 feet tall). They should have added a parapet to reach 1,000 feet exactly, but I'm sure that it will be that tall since with the other tower's final height, they didn't include the obvious structural stuff on the roof, like the thing on top of 3WTC.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old December 11th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #712
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerick1970 View Post
Only a few more weeks to go you guys!! I'm assuming they're working on the parking that will be located below the buildings now. I always wondered if they will have security in the garages to keep terroists from trying to use explosives again.
no they just let anybody drive in, I mean come on
webeagle12 está en línea ahora  
Old December 12th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #713
decks67
decks67

Likes (Received): 6

has anyone noticed that the cancelled tower Credit Suisse First Boston Building
250m/50 once planed for london looks very similar to 3WTC
decks67 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #714
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/12/ny...l?ref=nyregion
Ground Zero Hunt for Remains Is Mostly Done

By DIANE CARDWELL
Published: December 12, 2007

An expanded search for human remains begun last year at ground zero is largely completed, according to a memorandum sent to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg on Tuesday and ushering in a new phase of operations.

Deputy Mayor Edward Skyler, who is overseeing the search, said in the memo that the medical examiner’s office had completed examining debris from most of the areas officials identified in October 2006 after the discovery of 201 bones and bone fragments in an abandoned Consolidated Edison manhole on the west edge of the World Trade Center site.

The search has thus far recovered 1,772 possible human remains from 15,000 cubic yards of debris at a cost of $38 million, according to the memo. Officials have completed operations at 140 Liberty Street, where St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church once stood, and along the haul road between Vesey and Cedar Streets.

The searches are largely finished on Cedar Street from Washington to West Street and in an area in front of the World Financial Center bounded by Vesey, Albany and West Streets.

Several other areas — including Fiterman Hall, the ground beneath the Deutsche Bank building, and underground structures west of Broadway between Barclay and Albany Streets — remain to be searched, Mr. Skyler wrote, but are not yet accessible.

As demolition and construction moves forward, Mr. Skyler wrote, officials plan to continue examining debris from new locations, but that will be handled by a mobile unit rather than at the medical examiner’s recovery lab at 11 Water Street in Brooklyn.

“The conversion of 11 Water Street to a mobile platform acknowledges the sad reality that the search for remains will go on as long as there is excavation activity in and around the W.T.C. site,” he wrote. “With the considerable expertise of its top scientific and operations staff, the city is well prepared to continue this search, wherever it leads.”

The developments are unlikely to mollify many of the victims’ families, who are waiting for the remains of their loved ones and have criticized the way the search has been handled from the start.

“The whole process of the search and reclamation of human remains was mishandled from 9/12 on,” said Sally Regenhard, who has not recovered the remains of her son Christian, a probationary firefighter who died in the terror attack. Saying that the city had signed off on the area being free of remains long before more remains were discovered, she added, “It’s wrong, and you just can’t manipulate and dance around something that has been wrong from the beginning.”
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #715
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/12/ny...l?ref=nyregion
Ground Zero Hunt for Remains Is Mostly Done

By DIANE CARDWELL
Published: December 12, 2007

An expanded search for human remains begun last year at ground zero is largely completed, according to a memorandum sent to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg on Tuesday and ushering in a new phase of operations.

Deputy Mayor Edward Skyler, who is overseeing the search, said in the memo that the medical examiner’s office had completed examining debris from most of the areas officials identified in October 2006 after the discovery of 201 bones and bone fragments in an abandoned Consolidated Edison manhole on the west edge of the World Trade Center site.

The search has thus far recovered 1,772 possible human remains from 15,000 cubic yards of debris at a cost of $38 million, according to the memo. Officials have completed operations at 140 Liberty Street, where St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church once stood, and along the haul road between Vesey and Cedar Streets.

The searches are largely finished on Cedar Street from Washington to West Street and in an area in front of the World Financial Center bounded by Vesey, Albany and West Streets.

Several other areas — including Fiterman Hall, the ground beneath the Deutsche Bank building, and underground structures west of Broadway between Barclay and Albany Streets — remain to be searched, Mr. Skyler wrote, but are not yet accessible.

As demolition and construction moves forward, Mr. Skyler wrote, officials plan to continue examining debris from new locations, but that will be handled by a mobile unit rather than at the medical examiner’s recovery lab at 11 Water Street in Brooklyn.

“The conversion of 11 Water Street to a mobile platform acknowledges the sad reality that the search for remains will go on as long as there is excavation activity in and around the W.T.C. site,” he wrote. “With the considerable expertise of its top scientific and operations staff, the city is well prepared to continue this search, wherever it leads.”

The developments are unlikely to mollify many of the victims’ families, who are waiting for the remains of their loved ones and have criticized the way the search has been handled from the start.

“The whole process of the search and reclamation of human remains was mishandled from 9/12 on,” said Sally Regenhard, who has not recovered the remains of her son Christian, a probationary firefighter who died in the terror attack. Saying that the city had signed off on the area being free of remains long before more remains were discovered, she added, “It’s wrong, and you just can’t manipulate and dance around something that has been wrong from the beginning.”

For once you post good news...
rogerick1970 no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #716
Ebola
BANNED

And now it's only two weeks till we see groundbreakings.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #717
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Do they still need to do the groundbreaking? after so many foots of excavation?
Anyway I can't wait to see them starting to work on the footings.
Tag_one no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #718
Ebola
BANNED

Well I'm sure that they want attention from the media. The PA was digging and doing the slurry walls, but that's it. Larry will be building.

Can someone please post of picture of the graphs that showed steel and concrete consumption for some of the massive skyscrapers of NYC? It had lots of colors and was organized so that you could see how much steel would be consumed each month from now to about 2012 for skyscrapers all over NY, obviously including these. I'll look for it again even though its so late.

Edit: Found it.

Doesn't look too accurate, though.

Last edited by Ebola; December 18th, 2007 at 10:23 AM.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #719
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/18/ny...l?ref=nyregion
A New Deal to Develop Ground Zero

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
Published: December 18, 2007

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is expected to approve a deal Tuesday that would bring an international shopping center operator back to ground zero to help build retail space in the buildings and tunnels under construction on the 16-acre site.

Under the terms of the deal, the operator, the Westfield Group, would buy a 50 percent stake in about 490,000 square feet of retail development and invest more than $600 million in creating the shopping areas, said government officials and real estate executives familiar with the agreement.

Stores would be located at street level and above in three planned office towers along Church Street, as well as in the two-story concourses linking the site with subway lines and the PATH commuter rail station.

The original shopping space at the World Trade Center was a highly successful underground mall, in no small way because of the 150,000 commuters and tourists streaming past the storefronts and restaurants every day on their way to the towers.

But critics and many downtown residents complained that the old configuration robbed the neighborhood of street life, leaving it a ghost town after sundown and on the weekends. After the complex was destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001, planners, neighborhood groups and eventually the Port Authority insisted that the new stores would be built at street level and extend up as high as the fourth floor, as well as underground.

The developer who is building the three towers on Church Street, Larry A. Silverstein, has already incorporated those ideas into his designs for the buildings.

The retail spaces in the concourses will run west from Church Street to the World Financial Center. The entire retail complex, which will be 60,000 square feet larger than what was in the old trade center, is expected to cost more than $1 billion.

The Port Authority declined to discuss the deal, which is on the agenda of its board meeting on Tuesday. Westfield did not returns calls seeking comment.

“We have a strong interest in the retail that’s going in there,” said Julie Menin, chairwoman of Community Board 1 in Lower Manhattan. “We want stores that will serve a 24/7 community, not just tourists and office workers, and an active street presence.”

The deal would allow the authority to reduce its risk at the complex and still split the net operating revenues with Westfield, the officials and real estate executives said.

If it is approved as expected, the deal would mark Westfield’s return to the World Trade Center site at a time when both the new PATH station and the Freedom Tower, the tallest tower on the site, are under construction. Under a timetable for the rebuilding of the trade center site, the Port Authority is supposed to turn over the eastern side of the property to Mr. Silverstein by the end of the year so that he can start building his three office towers.

Westfield, which is one of the world’s largest mall operators, with 119 shopping centers in four countries, was Mr. Silverstein’s partner in July 2001, when they leased the trade center from the Port Authority. But the complex was destroyed weeks later. The rebuilding plans became embroiled in complex and often acrimonious negotiations between the Port Authority, Mr. Silverstein, civic groups, community leaders, transportation experts and city and state officials.

To reduce the squabbling, the Port Authority negotiated a settlement with Westfield in 2003 to buy back its retail rights at the site. At the time, Westfield favored rebuilding the underground mall. The company feared that the street-level retail favored by others would not generate average sales of $900 a square foot, as the trade center did in 2000. The authority paid Westfield $140 million, which represented the company’s original investment and about $15 million in interest. In an unusual element, the authority also gave Westfield a right to buy back into the complex. Other developers, including Related Companies, had sought to take over the retail.

But rather than offer those development rights to the highest bidder, the authority decided to negotiate a new deal with Westfield, which apparently has changed its views of the complex. The authority has about $200 million in insurance money to rebuild the retail space.
Old December 21st, 2007, 12:37 AM   #720
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12202007...ady_241385.htm
TEAR IT DOWN, ALREADY

December 20, 2007 -- Yet another round of delays at Ground Zero may be leading New Yorkers to wonder: Is the site headed for the same paralysis that held up rebuilding under then-Gov. George Pataki? Is anyone down there in charge?

Yesterday brought word that the World Trade Center memorial, which state officials promised would be open for 9/11's eighth anniversary, now likely won't be done until 2010. And the memorial's museum and visitors' center won't open until 2011 - a full decade after 9/11.

Other work is progressing, but even that may come to a halt if work doesn't soon resume on removing the contaminated Deutsche Bank building, which was irreparably damaged in the terror attack.

As we've said repeatedly, that building should've come down years ago.

Instead, it has stood as a monument to bureaucratic inertia. Even as a pipe fell from one of its upper floors, crashing through a firehouse below. And a blaze killed two firefighters in August. And a pallet-jack toppled down days later, injuring two more firefighters.

The state-controlled Lower Manhattan Development Corp. owns the property; after the August fire halted the building's deconstruction, LMDC head Avi Schick said work would re-start in November.

Never happened.

Now LMDC officials can't even say when demolition might begin. Nor even when they'll hire a new subcontractor for the job.

How pathetic.

We've seen this before, of course: Gov. Pataki vowed back in 2004 to have the Deutsche Bank building down by the following year. But the whole Ground Zero rebuilding was plagued by incompetence and a lack of leadership back then - nothing moved forward.

Now, with other parts of the project finally under way, a protracted delay at the Deutsche Bank building could be fatal, given that other work on Ground Zero buildings is closely linked to demolition of that tower.

Who's to blame for the new mess?

That's not entirely clear, given all the finger-pointing. But the LMDC, which - again - owns the Deutsche Bank tower, is mostly run by the state. Which means Gov. Spitzer needs to get on the ball.

Mayor Bloomberg also has a role to play, given that the fate of the building will greatly affect the city of which he is in charge.

Much is at stake in that building's removal. Officials should act like they understand that - and get that building down pronto.

Closed Thread