daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 17th, 2008, 01:36 AM   #801
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by emutiny View Post
I don't think so. And aluminum and titanium are already abundant on earth.
I thought everyone knew about global warming, I guess we'll just build more smelters.

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:44 AM   #802
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/ny...html?scp=3&sq=
Extracting Survivors’ Stairway for a Home at the 9/11 Museum

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
Published: January 17, 2008

Davis Brody Bond L.L.P.

The steps, known as the “survivors stairway,” are to be housed at the 9/11 museum, where visitors will see them while using a new stairway.

David W. Dunlap/The New York Times

Workers recently cut into concrete enclosing steps used by hundreds of Sept. 11 survivors at the trade center.

With the new World Trade Center rising clamorously around it, the last standing vestige of the old World Trade Center is about to be uprooted.

In the last week, workers have cut openings into a concrete superstructure supporting 38 steps that once led from Vesey Street up to the north end of the sprawling Austin J. Tobin Plaza. Because hundreds of evacuees made their way down this route on Sept. 11, 2001, it is called the “survivors’ stairway.”

Whether the stairway itself would survive was a question for the Pataki administration to ponder. It proposed to salvage individual steps but not the entire run of stairs, which stands where Tower 2 is to rise. Preservationists and survivors of the attack were dismayed by the plan.

So was the Spitzer administration. In August, Avi Schick, the chairman of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, proposed to extract the staircase whole from the surrounding concrete bulkhead, then reinstall it in the National Sept. 11 Memorial and Museum at ground zero.

Preparations are under way to do just that.

By late February, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site, expects to build a steel framework beneath the five-foot-wide staircase.

That will permit workers to isolate the stairs from the rest of the remaining Vesey Street structure, which includes a fragment of terrazzo paving from the Tobin Plaza, a sloping surface where two escalators once ran and an entrance to the Cortlandt Street station on the No. 1 subway line, which has been closed since 2001.

Besides the staircase, workers will salvage part of the plaza pavement. A plywood barrier and several columns from the subway station will be taken to Hangar 17 at Kennedy International Airport, where large-scale 9/11 artifacts are kept.

The rest of the structure will be demolished.

“You have to do it with an extraordinary amount of care,” said Stephen Sigmund, chief of public and government affairs at the Port Authority.

Once the staircase is atop its steel cradle, it will be jacked up and rolled to Vesey Street. It will stand opposite the small park outside 7 World Trade Center until it is lowered by crane to the museum’s principal floor, almost at bedrock.

The steel framework will continue supporting the staircase in its permanent location. Though visitors will not be able to walk down the staircase remnant, they will pass it on a new staircase or escalator.

“That ceremony of descent will be alongside the survivors’ stairway,” said Alice Greenwald, director of the memorial museum.

The removal and reinstallation will cost about $1 million.

One of the first to suggest this approach in 2006 — as a way of breaking the impasse between preserving the survivors’ stairway and proceeding with Tower 2 — was Robert Silman, an engineer working as a consultant to preservation groups like the New York Landmarks Conservancy and the Municipal Art Society.

“I’m confident they’ll get it right,” Mr. Silman said on Wednesday. “I think they’re very serious about doing a good job. I’ll say that now, because in the beginning, they were skeptical about doing the job at all. I have no quarrel with what’s being done.”

Mr. Schick saw a practical side to the project. “It sends the message that we can honor the memory of that day, hear the voice of those who experienced 9/11 and reconcile that with development goals and the need to move forward,” he said.

Ms. Greenwald found a more spiritual side to housing the staircase in the museum, saying, “It reinforces a fundamental curatorial message: We all live in a post-9/11 world and, in that sense, every one of us is a 9/11 survivor.”
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:04 AM   #803
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

are theese stairs one of the many with which you could get from street to plaza level?

For example the one from the "hotel plaza" to liberty street, street level!

Or the ones between 1 and 3 WTC!
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:14 PM   #804
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

"TOWER TO THE SKY"

Construction has started on 4WTC (WTC Tower 4). says www.wtc.com

It's amazing how this grand supertall, utterly masive in terms of volume, would make any current building in NY look small, but when compared with the towers next to it from certain angles, it can hardly be seen at all or look small.

This will be one hell of an amazing addition to lower Manhattan's skyline. It's utterly massive. No building there now even comes close to its mammoth size and the simple facade will gleam brightly. It will be seen well from the south. She'll tower as another middle finger towards the ideals that took down the old WTC and those who even slightly support them.

WTC Tower 4 - Tower to the Sky
With the larger modern skyscrapers, it's almost always the simple ones that turn out to be the most famous, best looking, and most iconic.

I bet we'll also see Tower 3 start up within three weeks.

Last edited by Ebola; January 24th, 2008 at 12:45 PM.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #805
storyteller

Likes (Received): 5

Yeah, provocate!! War War War!
storyteller no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #806
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6534

great news
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #807
xXFallenXx

Likes (Received): 170

i think this calls for a
xXFallenXx no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2008, 09:56 PM   #808
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

I dont know if this is the right thread to ask about this, but it is something that i would like to know about it. In the september 2001 attacks the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church that was very near the WTC complex was destroyed completely when the skycrapers collapsed. Anyone knows if there are any plans for rebuilding this church too? Thanks :-)

Spartan proverb

nunyios liked this post
Spartan_X no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #809
stealt

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan_X View Post
I dont know if this is the right thread to ask about this, but it is something that i would like to know about it. In the september 2001 attacks the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church that was very near the WTC complex was destroyed completely when the skycrapers collapsed. Anyone knows if there are any plans for rebuilding this church too? Thanks :-)
it will be rebuild!!! and somwhere in the area of wtc 5.
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #810
Milllos
Milllos

Likes (Received): 11

Yes, this church will be surely rebuild, but on eastern place and with other design. I don´t know when.

http://img182.imageshack.us/my.php?image=11lx2.jpg
Milllos no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #811
Milllos
Milllos

Likes (Received): 11

Milllos no está en línea  
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:56 PM   #812
MDguy

Awesome news
MDguy no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #813
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

Thanks a lot for your answers

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:58 AM   #814
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Actually this church will be directly under the proposed huge "Balcony" of Tower 5 WTC which looks like giant toilet.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #815
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Great news! we have to celebrate

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:29 AM   #816
Me!

Likes (Received): 8

Alsom ! NY Rocks ! It's amazing ,omg !
Me! no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #817
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

Great news. WTC Tower 4, if they light it up nice, it can be simple and beautiful.
NovaWolverine no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #818
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Yes, a cause for celebration, the beginning of tower #4, so is the excavation at it's final depth ?, is it down to bedrock ?,or will there be blasting ?......

I figure this tower will have your straightfoward, concrete encased, steel cradle loadbearing footing, notched into bedrock. Like the type used on the ESB and the Exxon tower.
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #819
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Yes! This is going to be such an exciting year! The activity at this site is going to be absolutely astonishing. I can't wait to see this in the spring and summer months where crews are out working full force on getting these babies in the air. Congrats NYC!
Old January 27th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #820
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan_X View Post

they can rebuilt the little church but it will never look like this ever!!!!

WTC 4 is my favortie building of the complex...clean and suddle

Closed Thread