daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #841
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

99 church, wtc 3, wtc 2, wtc 1, goldman sachs

philvia no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:02 PM   #842
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

Simply Amazing!

The New WTC is going to be absolutely stunning. With every new render, I get more and more excited!

Last edited by mudvayneimn; January 29th, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
mudvayneimn no está en línea  
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #843
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Yes, i get excited too, the new Stern tower is awesome, and placed as far as possible from Woolworth. But for me, Tower #2 is the tower that set's it all off, this tower fully leased, with the flloorlines lit at night..... truly a worthy skyline replacement for the Originals.

I can't help but look in my mind's eye, and imagine this cluster with the Originals standing where thay once stood.....
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #844
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

nice pic

NYC seems to be 'popping off'
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:20 AM   #845
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_24...gtheworld.html
Volume 20, Number 36 | The Newspaper of Lower Manhattan | Feb. 1 - 7 , 2008

Shaping the World Trade Center’s pieces

By Julie Shapiro

Downtown Express photos by Lorenzo Ciniglio

Workers secure the Survivors’ Stairway. The steps portion of the remnant will be incorporated into the W.T.C. memorial museum.

When tourists and curious residents peer into the World Trade Center site from street level, they see a big dirt pit, studded with machinery, a jumble of puzzle pieces that don’t quite form a complete picture.

But below ground, in the midst of the roaring equipment and piles of rock, the future of the site is beginning to take shape. It is getting easier to see which cradles of bedrock will hold which future skyscrapers. The outlines of roads and underpasses are becoming clearer, dividing the mass of construction into segments familiar from bird’s-eye renderings.

And while the site sometimes appears quiet from street level, far more movement is visible belowground. The sectors crawl with activity, as hundreds of construction workers drive heavy machinery or sweep debris, working on the half-dozen major projects that will bring four skyscrapers, a train station, a memorial and a performing arts center to the site within several years.

“Today, those who live or work around the site — and tourists from around the world who visit it each day — can see that construction is progressing aggressively and the site is bustling with activity,” Anthony Shorris, executive director of Port Authority, said in a statement. “Cranes are constantly in motion, steel is going up and trucks are lined up each day moving concrete and materials on and off the site.”

The Port’s $16 billion investment will ultimately bring the equivalent of five Empire State buildings to the site, Shorris said.

“We expect our efforts will pay off in the next few years when the site once again becomes a center for economic activity and a hub for Downtown life,” he said.

Steve Coleman, a Port Authority spokesperson, took a Downtown Express reporter and photographer around the site on a recent morning, pointing out the progress.

Survivors’ Stairway In the midst of bright, noisy machinery and striding workers in neon vests stands a remnant of the past: the Survivors’ Stairway, which served as an escape route to Vesey St. on 9/11. The staircase, of crumbling white stone, is embedded in a large block that once housed an adjacent escalator.

All around and beneath the staircase, workers are building steel supports to prepare the stairs to be moved. The staircase will then sit on the site near Vesey St. temporarily, until it is lowered into the memorial museum, where it will be on display. The bottom two-thirds of the steps are missing chunks and look battered and ancient — as if the construction workers uncovered them in an archeological dig — while the top steps look eerily new and polished. The stairs survived 9/11, but were damaged during the recovery and cleanup operation in the months that followed.

The support work to preserve the stairs and move them to temporary storage, done by contractor J.H. Reid, will cost the Port about $1 million, Coleman said.

Tower sites The Tower 4 site, at the corner of Church and Liberty Sts., is one of the calmest sectors, as the space holds its breath between excavation and construction. Port Authority has finished digging out the site — the rock floor is 80 feet below street level — and on a recent morning, several men in cherry pickers were inspecting the tiebacks in the slurry wall, which protects the site from floods. The Port will soon turn the site over to Silverstein Properties, which will build the tower.

Just to the north, a frenzy of work continued at the Tower 3 site, where enormous jackhammers called hoe rams pounded into bedrock. The penetrating thuds have been a source of complaints from nearby residents when Port Authority’s work went around the clock, but since a new noise plan went into effect, several residents said the noisiest work has stopped by midnight.

Much of the Tower 3 site is excavated to the required 80 feet, though the northern chunk still has more to go. As the hoe rams recently blasted the bedrock into manageable chunks, backhoes swooped in to convey the boulders into trucks, which carted the rock off the site.

The Port has paid a $300,000-a-day penalty to Silverstein since Jan. 1, when it was supposed to turn over the sites for Towers 3 and 4. The Tower 3 is expected to take at least a few more weeks to be ready for construction.

Tower 2, in the northeast corner of the site, looked the way the other tower sites looked several months ago. Backhoes scooped dirt out, waiting to hit bedrock. The deadline for the Tower 2 site to be turned over to Silverstein is June 30.

Atmosphere Construction workers throughout the site looked busy, though a few took time to joke with a Downtown Express reporter. They were also concerned that the reporter and photographer were not wearing the mandated safety goggles. Signs throughout the site reminded workers to prioritize safety, and with trucks flying along gravel paths and a level of noise that sometimes made speaking difficult, the concern seemed prudent. One sign warned workers to make eye contact with the foreman before proceeding.

Nearly all the evidence of 9/11 has been carted away. In fact, the 16-acre site, but for its scope and sprawl, could almost be a construction site anywhere. However, relics of the past pop up in surprising ways. A memorial plaque sat on the ground outside a trailer that hosts relatives of the attack victims. And on a construction worker’s hardhat, above his set mouth and dark eyes, was a white sticker: “I didn’t forgive. I don’t forget.”

[email protected]
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #846
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

This is all going to be beyond amazing and beyond iconic.
2WTC for example:

Ebola no está en línea  
Old February 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM   #847
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

2WTC will be one of my favorite buildings in the world once it's finished. It's design is already at the top of my list.
pennster no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:44 PM   #848
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

i really wish 2wtc were more symmetrical. i mean, i get the loose symbolism of the footprints and shit on the roof, but a more evenly shaped top would look so much better.
cincobarrio no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #849
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
2WTC will be one of my favorite buildings in the world once it's finished. It's design is already at the top of my list.
Me too, and yes, it will be nothing short of impressive once completed, to me the angular slice it what set's it all off, although i would have liked the slice to be a little less defined, (without the "bordering" and the glass sloped, instead of the balcony's) but still it's mass, and verticality is perfect.

Has there been a height incease..? i thought this tower topped out at 1,260 feet.
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #850
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

I can't decide which I like more, 2 or 3 WTC. They are certainly my favourite towers in the development, and no, it's not just because they are both by English architects
Newcastle Guy no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #851
eddie88

Likes (Received): 55

i was just thinking the same thing, i think im going to go for 3WTC

i didnt know they where by english architects!

MOVE THEM TO LONDON! lol
eddie88 no está en línea  
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #852
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

2WTC: Lord Foster
3WTC: Lord Rogers

I think I'm leaning towards 3WTC as my favourite too... I love the spires, it looks like a proper, modern, New York style Tower IMO, and Roger's token skeletal cross bracing only adds to that.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #853
Dallasbrink
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
i agree, i like it the most out of the New WTC towers.
Dallasbrink no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #854
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICONLA1 View Post
Me too, and yes, it will be nothing short of impressive once completed, to me the angular slice it what set's it all off, although i would have liked the slice to be a little less defined, (without the "bordering" and the glass sloped, instead of the balcony's) but still it's mass, and verticality is perfect.

Has there been a height incease..? i thought this tower topped out at 1,260 feet.
That's the roof height you're thinking of. It's obvious that there's more structure on top and it will be counted. With 3WTC, it's less obvious, and the spires on it are not called spires, but, there too, I am 100% sure that they will be counted as a part of the total height because they are an extension of the main structure of the tower, making WTC Tower 3 around 1,250 feet tall.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:27 AM   #855
NewYork-wala
BANNED

Likes (Received): 96

Beautiful! Will be an amazing addition to the NYC skyline!
NewYork-wala no está en línea  
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #856
AucklandloverUK

Likes (Received): 0

i thought at first that WTC2 was my favourite but then i started to like WTC3 and now i just think they are all amazing and work sooo well together - without a doubt going to be the best skyline in the world!
AucklandloverUK no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2008, 12:59 AM   #857
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8
SSC

Likes (Received): 843

edit
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8 no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #858
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8
SSC

Likes (Received): 843

HELLOW
ONE RENDER OK

GO NEW WTC
VERY REAL
/-/_E_C_T_O_R 8§8 no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:06 AM   #859
Ebola
BANNED

Ebola no está en línea  
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #860
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

My question is this: how many "super-talls" - 1,000 foot (or 300 meter) skyscrapers will NYC have 10 years from now ... as far as we know? I know there is a lot of speculation about what will be standing at the present Hotel Pennsylvania site amongst others ... but of those projects we can be certain of ...???

Closed Thread