daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 14th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #881
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02132008...safe_97402.htm
GROUND ZERO PLAYS IT SAFE

AP

February 13, 2008 -- The World Trade Center site's owners have hired a safety director for Ground Zero as officials seek to curb a string of construction accidents at other New York City sites.

Joseph Schwed of Honeywell International started last week as the site's safety director.

The Port Authority and general contractors all have separate safety managers for different projects at ground zero.

A Sept. 11 memorial, a skyscraper and a transit hub are under construction.

Schwed will now supervise them all. The PA says it wanted a manager to prevent any future accidents as skyscrapers begin to rise at the site. High-rise construction accidents have more than doubled at other city sites, prompting new safety rules.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #882
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
[IMG]http://i27.************/30sh6hi.jpg[/IMG]
A whole new WTC, same ol' great NYC. This rendering should become a banner.
Cosmin no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #883
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
i'm sorry, but what does that mean?
It was the famous restaurant located on floor 107 of 1 WTC (the north tower). They lost a large portion of their staff in the attack.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:47 AM   #884
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Eating at that height would be amazing

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #885
Northerly

Likes (Received): 0

Don't get me wrong, I think the whole new WTC is wicked but I can't help wonder how much cooler it would be if Tower 2 moved to where 3 is, 3 to 4, 4 nearby somewhere... and 2 replaced with a Freedom Tower 2... everyone's a winner!
Northerly no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:31 PM   #886
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Nah you gotta keep 2. We would all be losers without that one in the deal.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea  
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #887
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

2 is the most eyecatching tower!
pennster no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #888
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl View Post
Haha I was bored so I wrote the new york, new york lyrics remixed for Chicago, HK, Dubai, and LA a whiles back. Can't find them at the moment.
"It's up to you hong kong, HONG KONG!!!" lol No offence to hong kong or anything, I just thought it sound silly...

btw, it's good to see Windows on the world return...
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #889
phillybud

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkid View Post
"It's up to you hong kong, HONG KONG!!!" lol No offence to hong kong or anything, I just thought it sound silly...

btw, it's good to see Windows on the world return...
"Too bad for you, Hong Kong, but KING KONG prefers
New York, New York!"

Old February 15th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #890
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_250/talkingpoint.html
Volume 20, Number 40 | The Newspaper of Lower Manhattan | Feb. 15 - 21 , 2008

Adjust the Port-Silverstein deal to include residents

By Daniel Squadron

As neighbors to the largest construction site in the city over the last few years, Lower Manhattan residents have suffered repeatedly. In the last few months, it’s gotten even worse. This is because in guaranteeing to complete the ground zero “bathtub” — the site’s water-tight foundation — for Sites 3 and 4 before Jan. 1, and agreeing to pay developer Larry Silverstein a $300,000 a day penalty for any delay, the Port Authority made a promise it could not keep.

When the P.A. found itself well behind schedule last fall, it embarked on a near round-the-clock construction schedule. Of course, this was too-much, too-late; a month past the deadline the site is still not ready. Now, it looks like noise is easing at Sites 3 and 4, which will be turned over shortly. But with a similar July 1 deadline looming for the northern part of the site, there is no guarantee of relief in sight.

We keep being told that it’s inevitable. Silverstein’s $300,000 per day meter will keep running (or looming), the Port Authority’s 24/7 construction will keep humming (or banging or beeping), and the neighborhood’s residents will keep suffering.

That’s not good enough. Both Silverstein and the Port Authority will be neighbors in the Lower Manhattan community for years to come; they must communicate that they understand what being a good neighbor means. The recent attempts by the Port Authority — quieter construction practices and sound-proofed windows — are well-intentioned band-aids that will not heal the problem.

The only real solution is for the Port to listen to the community’s wishes and limit itself to a reasonable work schedule that allows residents some relief. (Community Board 1 passed a unanimous resolution in December limiting construction to a still intense 7 a.m.-10 p.m.) Unfortunately, the Port will not promise to adhere to this limited schedule unless Silverstein promises to cap his penalty at the total amount projected to accrue under the current, untenable, schedule.

Why should Silverstein agree? There are a couple of reasons. First, with years of construction ahead, adopting a good neighbor policy makes sense. Second, the Port Authority should sweeten the deal. Under the current agreement, once Silverstein gets a site, he has exactly four years to complete construction. If he goes over even one day, he forfeits his building. If Silverstein agrees to cap the penalty, the Port Authority should offer Silverstein an additional day for each unpenalized day until the site is turned over. This compromise may increase the period of construction a few months overall, but it won’t risk a stoppage (always a concern); as a proportion of the entire project’s length, the increase will be nominal. Continuing to move forward is important, but doing so in a way that respects the community’s needs is critical.

If the Port Authority and Silverstein come together around this solution, it will be a win-win-win: Silverstein will earn some flexibility on his project and some goodwill with his neighbors; the current leadership at the Port Authority will be able to design a rational and predictable work plan, and get out of the shadow of a mess that was left for them; and Lower Manhattan residents will finally be able to get a few hours sleep.

Daniel Squadron, a former aide to Sen. Chuck Schumer, is a Democratic candidate for the State Senate’s 25th District, which includes Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn.
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #891
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

24/7 plz
philvia no está en línea  
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #892
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

You know, I'll gladly change places with the people in Lower Manhattan if the noise is such a big deal.
meh_cd no está en línea  
Old February 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM   #893
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

taken feb 16 by Jebb (Flickr)

image hosted on flickr

Freedom tower in the far end of the pit.
image hosted on flickr
Eric Offereins no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #894
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Thanks for the pictures!!! Its looking good! That tower next to World Financial Center is called Goldhams right? It is rising really fast!!!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea  
Old February 17th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #895
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Goldman Sachs HQ
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM   #896
world1
YAAY! IM 17!

Likes (Received): 2

HI ALL!!
JUST WANTED TO KNO HOW MANY SKYSCRAPERS R THERE IN NYC??? IM DOING A PROJECT ON THIS. SO PLZ TRY TO TELL ME THE XACT NUMBER!!!!! IT WOULD BE GR8 TO KNO THANK U!!!!
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #897
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61061

Next time when you ask a question, try not to push the Caps Lock and try to write some normal English, this is not MSN. And better not ask these kind of questions in the update threads, although I don't have a clue were it should be put then (we need a official question thread somewhere).

Anyway, I hope this helps:
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/s...t=9&ht=2&sro=1

Then you can decide for yourself what you consider how high you consider a tower to be a skyscraper and find the number yourself.
Momo1435 no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM   #898
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

from flickr
taken from the freedom towers site

Densetsu no está en línea  
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #899
Milllos
Milllos

Likes (Received): 11

When will be towers 3 and 4 officially U/C. Itīs still aproved on Emporis.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/s...t=2&ht=2&sro=1
Milllos no está en línea  
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #900
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

don't trust emporis. they're such a joke.....
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  

Closed Thread