daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 1st, 2008, 01:44 AM   #941
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

It's time that "U/C" gets be added to the title of this thread. It should have been added weeks ago because Larry has had control of two of the plots for weeks now and just because you can't see much on the cam doesn't mean BS because the cam only covers a fraction of the T3 and T4 sites. What we almost always see is dozens of pieces of heavy machinery on the two plots
Ebola no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:55 AM   #942
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
It's time that "U/C" gets be added to the title of this thread. It should have been added weeks ago because Larry has had control of two of the plots for weeks now and just because you can't see much on the cam doesn't mean BS because the cam only covers a fraction of the T3 and T4 sites. What we almost always see is dozens of pieces of heavy machinery on the two plots
Actually, if you ask me, it's almost time that each of these towers get their own thread, now that they will start to be taking individual progress instead of just being a shared hole in the ground. Everywhere else, every supertall gets its own thread, even when they are close together (notably in Dubai Marina) so I would think these should too (of course WTC4 would end up in the highrises section). That's just my vote though.
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM   #943
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6527

agree Hollie, one thread for 3 UC supertalls is not enough
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM   #944
Ebola
BANNED

Your idea sounds good but, before you know it, everything will be all over the place. I think the entire WTC megaproject should all be in one thread (called "WTC MegaProject," or something like that since it's once again the largest office complex in the world in 100% skyscraper form rising up for a second time), I guess including Tower 5 when the time comes next year. (They are redesigning WTC Tower 5 from what I heard so it will be like another birthday present for us.) Perhaps the first post could also note stuff that is non-skyscraper-related, like the new WTC transit hub, and the WTC PAC, and then also feature all of the brand new skyscrapers that are literally touching the New WTC, such as the sleek, glassy 123 Washington Street (next to WTC Tower 5), the GS Tower (across from Freedom Tower), and the 99 Church Street (close to 7WTC), which is also being built by the same person who's building the WTC. It's all so close that they, as in the dozens of projects at and touching the WTC, from the WFC connector to memorial, are only meters away from each other and it will look like one massive construction site. Most other new skyscrapers in lower Manhattan are too far away from the WTC to be mentioned a thread like that, but the only reason why they are going up is most likely due to the attacks and the booming because of renewal.

Last edited by Ebola; March 1st, 2008 at 08:22 PM.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:07 PM   #945
wap-190

Likes (Received): 54

Flickr
image hosted on flickr
wap-190 no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:29 AM   #946
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Did the digging for 2WTC just start?
ElVoltageDR no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM   #947
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

No they have been digging for the last 2 months. So far they have removed about 30 feet of dirt on the eastern wall and deconstructed a structure where they had some const. offices on. (maybe part of the old plaza?)
ramvid01 no está en línea  
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:25 PM   #948
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

Ah alright.
ElVoltageDR no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:55 AM   #949
pennster

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie Maea View Post
Because comparisons are interesting. It's fun to see how a project compares to others happening in other cities and around the world. I don't think that somehow destroys the thread or anything like that. The fact is, this project right now is at the point where you don't see a lot of visible progress (and before you all freak out, no I'm not saying it is "slow" just that every project when it reaches the foundation building stage, you don't see a lot of dramatic changes visible over short periods of time). So, there's can be a shortage of stuff to talk about. The Russia Tower and the Chicago Spire threads often talk about comparisons since those two are similar sizes and being built at the same time. The same with the ICC in Hong Kong and the SWFC in Shanghai. There are many other examples from lots of different cities, but the NYC threads seem to really hate that. I never post in the NYC threads because it seems so easy to anger the posters, but I don't understand why. New York is thought by most people to have one of the best skylines in the world, so why would fans be so scared of acknowledging other cities and making comparisons? It's not like such discussions are going to convince people that NYC somehow sucks in comparison to other cities.
You missed the whole point, lol. Guess it'd be lost on you even if I tried to elaborate.
pennster no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:33 AM   #950
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennster View Post
Guess it'd be lost on you even if I tried to elaborate.
So you just insult me. I guess that's one way to reply to honest discourse.
Hollie Maea no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM   #951
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

'I wonder why it is that New York fans get so bent out of shape when the existence of any other city is acknowledged.'

Come on now, you already know that's a major generalization.
I dont think they were just born with the need to shoot down every other city, like you think.
Maybe NYC skyscraper fans are just more to the point than those in the rest of the world. They've got a lot happening right now in New York, and would rather talk about their own construction in their own thread?
Or maybe there's something evil at work here. Maybe, just maybe, NYC mods censor out any other city's name so the New yorkers don't know other cities exist??
Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM   #952
wap-190

Likes (Received): 54

they're removing the stairway right now ...
wap-190 no está en línea  
Old March 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM   #953
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6527

yes, it is almost gone already
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:23 AM   #954
44p
build the NWTC

Likes (Received): 18

I don't mean to be crazy:
which stairway are you talking about,the big one by the freedom tower
44p no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:26 PM   #955
Ebola
BANNED

GREAT news. I assumed that it would take months, not weeks, to remove the staircase. This means we are another step closer to seeing WTC Tower 2 being built. The PA must have learned its lesson and does not want to be late with the plot of Tower 2. Let's hope they finish a month or two early to make up for what they did to 3WTC.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:33 PM   #956
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

sorry, what happened to WTC3?
TallBox no está en línea  
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #957
Ebola
BANNED

It got delayed by a month or two because the site wasn't preped on time, but that's really nothing at all. The site prep stage is over. It's officially u/c right now. The only part of the WTC still being preped is WTC Tower 5, if you want consider it that way, and WTC Tower 2.

Last edited by Ebola; March 4th, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #958
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...fore-it-moves/
March 4, 2008, 10:29 am

A Last Glimpse of the 9/11 Stairway, Before It Moves

By David W. Dunlap

The “Survivors’ Stairway” as it appeared on Feb. 29, left, with most of the surrounding bulkhead structure still intact. At right, the stairway as it appeared on Monday, with a five-foot-wide section of the steps isolated from the rest of the structure. (Photos: David W. Dunlap/The New York Times)

Something astonishing is now visible on Vesey Street: the Vesey Street staircase.
Also known as the “Survivors’ Stairway” for its vital role in the evacuation of hundreds of people from the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001, the staircase has been largely obscured by fencing, equipment and its design.

The steps were part of a larger concrete bulkhead structure that presented a blank wall to Vesey Street. In the last three days, however, in preparation for moving the staircase, workers have cut away so much of the bulkhead that each individual step — in fact, the granite panels of the treads and risers — can clearly be seen in profile by passers-by.

This vantage, which will not last long, is important because the stairway is the last above-ground remnant of the trade center still standing where it did on 9/11.

The stairs seem to come to an abrupt end in midair. That was the level of the Austin J. Tobin Plaza, which was higher than the sidewalk around much of the complex. Evacuees from the north tower made their way along the plaza’s edge and down these stairs after the terrorist attack.

Eventually, the stairway will be reinstalled in the National September 11 Memorial and Museum at the World Trade Center.

Meanwhile, it is to be moved in the next week to a storage area closer to Vesey Street, getting it out of the way of construction for Tower 2, or 200 Greenwich Street, a 79-story office building developed by Silverstein Properties and designed by Foster & Partners.

For protection, the granite treads of the “Survivors’ Stairway” will be covered in plywood. And once the location and orientation of the staircase are changed, the last trace of the ghost outline of the old World Trade Center will have vanished.
So look now.
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:35 AM   #959
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

took this today.. almost ready to be moved!

philvia no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #960
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Wow, that went much faster as I expected! I think it's gone by friday
Tag_one no está en línea  

Closed Thread