daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 16th, 2008, 09:35 PM   #981
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Thanks Z
Excavation of site 2 seems to progress very well. Big chance that this one will be handed over on time
Tag_one no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #982
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I didn't realize how big the WFC connector was. I bet the core looks massive now. It must be at least 30 feet tall and 100'x100'.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #983
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03172008...pit_102338.htm
RISING FROM THE PIT

WTC'S '1ST SPROUT'

By TOM TOPOUSIS

A WHOLE OTHER LEVELigital renderings show the progress planned for the World Trade Center site, including the Freedom Tower breaking street level this year.

March 17, 2008 -- The reborn World Trade Center will begin rising above street level this spring - when the Freedom Tower's steel frame emerges from its 80-foot-deep construction pit, officials say.

The tower itself is now just 10 feet from street level, Port Authority Executive Director Anthony Shorris said.

"We expect it to reach past street level in a few months," he said.

Shorris and Ground Zero developer Larry Silverstein, who is building three office towers at the site, said virtually every project at the World Trade Center is now under construction after years of cleanup, design and site preparation.

A time-lapse rendering of the 16-acre site prepared by the Port Authority shows the project coming together over the next five years like a massive jigsaw puzzle, with more than 10,000 construction workers assembling the pieces.

By the end of this year, the Freedom Tower's steel will be racing skyward, while a steel base for the memorial is being set in place. And foundations for Silverstein's three towers and the Santiago Calatrava-designed transit hub will be under construction.

By the end of 2010, the Freedom Tower and Silverstein's Towers 2 and 3 will reach rooftop level, and the memorial plaza will be complete and ready for the planting of more than 400 trees.

Silverstein's Tower 2, the second tallest at the site, will have topped out by the end of 2011.

"By the end of 2012, as they say, it'll all be over but the shouting," Shorris said at a New York Building Congress luncheon last week.

"What is falling into place is a construction-coordination machine of truly unprecedented complexity."

The four towers inside the perimeter of the original World Trade Center site will include 141,000 tons of steel and 593,000 cubic yards of concrete.

A fifth tower is planned a block away on the site of the former Deutsche Bank building. That tower is slated to be complete by the end of 2012.

Just to clear sites for Silverstein's three towers, the Port Authority excavated and hauled out enough dirt and rock to fill Giants Stadium.

Silverstein, who acknowledged that "things haven't always gone as smoothly or as swiftly as everyone - including me - had hoped," predicted that the final outcome in five years will create a new economic engine in lower Manhattan.

But Silverstein said the proof of progress for New Yorkers made skeptical by delays and missed deadlines will be the visible construction now shaping up.

"There has not been this much going on at the site since the cleanup concluded close to six years ago," he said.

[email protected]
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM   #984
Tag_one

Rock drilling and blasting has begun.

From Flickr:
image hosted on flickr

Tag_one no está en línea  
Old March 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM   #985
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

hope to see lots of progress in the next months
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 02:51 PM   #986
Infrasuper Planet
Infrasuper Planet

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag_one View Post
Rock drilling and blasting has begun.

From Flickr:
image hosted on flickr

which WTC will occupy this site

Aerials are Beyond Ones Mind to Imagine.
We are watching the Future Rise from the depth of the Earth and into the Heavens ever Higher
Infrasuper Planet no está en línea  
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:28 PM   #987
flying tackle
time for a change

Likes (Received): 10

ive got to say that hole is beating the cube in birmingham in terms of depth..and volume for that matter...thats very deep
Old March 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM   #988
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrasuper Planet View Post
which WTC will occupy this site
looks like WTC 3 and 4
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old March 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #989
Tag_one

An excavator between old foundation piles
WTC 2, taken yesterday by Junta0691

image hosted on flickr
Tag_one no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:49 AM   #990
Ebola
BANNED

WTC.com

The Tower 4 side of the plot is truly coming to life now, then a few weeks later Tower 3, and by summer Tower 2.

It will be one hell of a sight since these supertalls are only a few feet away from each other.

Last edited by Ebola; March 25th, 2008 at 12:08 PM.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #991
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Isn't that from back when they were putting in the slurry wall for the East Bathtub?
Basincreek no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:26 PM   #992
Ebola
BANNED

I think so, must have used the wrong picture.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #993
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

very old shot, probably April 2007
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:53 PM   #994
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

not very good but not that bad
from flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Densetsu no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #995
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

From inside the PATH station?

By the way, do my eyes deceive me or are they starting to demolish the southern part of the secant wall in the east bathtub?
Basincreek no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #996
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post

By the way, do my eyes deceive me or are they starting to demolish the southern part of the secant wall in the east bathtub?

i..... dont think so. i can't tell really. but i can't imagine why they would at this point. lol
philvia no está en línea  
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:04 PM   #997
Tag_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
From inside the PATH station?

No, they are digging out the caissons for tower 3 & 4. The secant wall will stay there for a little longer.
Tag_one no está en línea  
Old March 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #998
Ebola
BANNED

For those who need it bashed in again:

If WTC Tower 1 were completed right now, it would be the tallest building in the city.

If WTC Tower 2 were completed right now, it would be the tallest building in the city.

If WTC Tower 3 were completed right now, it would be the tallest building in the city.

If WTC Tower 4 were completed right now, it would be the second-tallest building in the city by tallest floor height.

Tower 5 has to be designed again.

Here's something to think about:
3WTC has no antenna(s). Why would it have any? There's no reason, and I believe they have been using incorrect terms. You can CLEARLY see that her "antennas" are an extension of her outter supporting structure, and therefore counted as a part height. It's still unclear on exactly how tall it will be since the updated number on the four spires have been in the air and other numbers don't match. But it will be far past 1,200 feet tall.

Whenever you look at lower Manhattan from midtown, or NJ, or from a plane, the ferry from the south, from Brooklyn or Queens, there will be the new giants of the tip of Manhattan.

7WTC looks like a stunning rendering, so wait till you see the others. This is the largest office complex in the world, with its main tower being the tallest office building in the world. When it comes to skyscrapers, large office towers are great symbols of power. This plan is as grand as that of the old WTC and the area around it is already thriving.

Last edited by Ebola; March 28th, 2008 at 02:30 AM.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #999
TalB
Refugee

I meant to post this originally when it made the headlines, but I forgot about it until now.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02262008...ance_99273.htm
PA IS SHUT OUT OF WTC INSURANCE

By KATI CORNELL

BIG ZERO: A judge says leasing the Twin Towers to Ground Zero developer...

...Larry Sivlerstein made the PA ineligible for insurance money.

February 26, 2008 -- The Port Authority lost its right to collect insurance money on the destroyed Twin Towers - and much of the World Trade Center - when it leased the property two months before the 9/11 terror attacks, a federal judge ruled yesterday.

In a written opinion, Manhattan federal Judge Barbara Jones limited claims by the New York-New Jersey Port Authority to buildings that weren't leased to developer Larry Silverstein.

The judge noted Silverstein had his own insurance.

The ruling, which came in response to a lawsuit by a collection of insurance companies, allows the PA's claims to go forward on World Trade Center 6 and the PATH train station.

A PA spokesman had no immediate comment on the latest twist in the many battles over insurance spawned by the destruction of the towers that anchored Manhattan's financial center.

The amount of insurance money the bistate agency will get is a critical issue, partly because construction costs keep climbing and several projects, including the memorial, have already been scaled back.

The PA recently finished the excavation work needed for Silverstein to begin work on two of the three skyscrapers he will build.

But several other hurdles to the vast rebuilding project remain, including completing demolition of the Deutsche Bank building, just south of where the World Trade Center stood.

Jones, in her ruling, also rejected the agency's claim she should not rule until Silverstein had fulfilled his obligation to rebuild the complex.

"Not only does the Port Authority fail to support this argument with citation to any case law, but this position is, in fact, contradicted by the controlling decisions on this issue," she wrote.

"We are gratified that the court agreed with our analysis," said Kenneth Erickson, a lawyer for the Lloyd's of London, which spearheaded the insurance companies' suit.

The Port Authority was fighting to recover an estimated $2 billion shortfall that Silverstein wasn't able to collect under his own insurance policies.

Silverstein entered a 99-year lease on much of the World Trade Center in July 2001 and is required to rebuild the complex.

His lease covered 1 WTC, 2WTC, 4 WTC and 5 WTC.

The PA has estimated losses on its portions of the site at approximately $3 billion.

With Post Wire Services
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:12 AM   #1000
TalB
Refugee

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/ny...erstein&st=nyt
Developer Sues to Win $12.3 Billion in 9/11 Attack

By ANEMONA HARTOCOLLIS
Published: March 27, 2008

Larry A. Silverstein, who has won nearly $4.6 billion in insurance payments to cover his losses and help him rebuild at the World Trade Center site, is seeking $12.3 billion in damages from airlines and airport security companies for the 9/11 attack.

Mr. Silverstein, the developer of ground zero, sought the damages, whose amount was not previously known, in a claim filed in 2004, that says the airlines and airport security companies failed to prevent terrorists from hijacking the planes used to destroy the buildings.

His case was consolidated last week with similar, earlier lawsuits brought by families of some victims of the attack and by other property owners. But in seeking $12.3 billion, he is by far the biggest claimant in the litigation.

The size of Mr. Silverstein’s claim was revealed last week at a status conference on the litigation in United States District Court in Manhattan.

The claims by the parties involved total about $23 billion, and Mr. Silverstein’s claim for such a large chunk could jeopardize claims from other businesses and property owners, according to defense lawyers. A lawyer for the victims’ families, Donald Migliori, said he was confident that their claims would not be affected because they would take priority over the property claims.

A lawyer for the airlines, Desmond Barry, said that if Mr. Silverstein won his claim, he could push the total claims beyond the amount of insurance that the airlines and security companies have available. “There ain’t that much insurance,” Mr. Barry said.

The federal government has capped the liability at the amount of available insurance, to avoid bankrupting the airlines. The exact amount of insurance available is still being explored in the court proceedings.

Richard A. Williamson, a lawyer for Mr. Silverstein, said at the court conference on March 18 that Mr. Silverstein was seeking damages to compensate him for continuing losses at the site. Mr. Silverstein, through his company, World Trade Center Properties, has a 99-year lease, worth $3.2 billion, on four buildings at the site, including the fallen twin towers. He signed the lease in July 2001, just six weeks before the attack.

Since the attack, Mr. Silverstein has been paying rent to the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey on towers that no longer exist, his lawyer told the judge, Alvin K. Hellerstein. Mr. Williamson said that his client had also lost rental income from about 400 tenants.

Dara McQuillan, a spokesman for Mr. Silverstein, said that the $12.3 billion represented $8.4 billion for the replacement value of the destroyed buildings and $3.9 billion in other costs, including $100 million a year in rent to the Port Authority and $300 million a year in lost rental income, as well as the cost of marketing and leasing the new buildings.

Mr. Barry, speaking for the airlines, contended that Mr. Silverstein had been more than compensated by the nearly $4.6 billion insurance settlement, reached after almost six years of litigation. He argued that Mr. Silverstein was entitled to the market value of the property, which he said had been established by the $3.2 billion lease.

Judge Hellerstein expressed skepticism about Mr. Silverstein’s claim, and asked why he had not stemmed his losses by just “walking away.”

Turning to Mr. Williamson, Judge Hellerstein asked: “What’s the nature of your recovery?”

To which Mr. Williamson replied, “For damages suffered by the events of 9/11, not value. Damages.”

Mr. Williamson said that the lease required Mr. Silverstein to rebuild and to continue paying rent.

“And so I’m putting to you if you walked away from the lease, you would lose the value of the lease,” Judge Hellerstein said. “Would you have a further obligation to pay money?”

Mr. Williamson replied, “You have to examine that question. “But to me that’s not the test of what are our damages.”

Judge Hellerstein pressed Mr. Williamson to put a dollar figure on the damages. “I don’t think it’s necessary to know the precise amount,” the judge said. “I think some order of magnitude would be appropriate.”

When Mr. Williamson balked, Mr. Barry jumped in.

“I think their claim is $12.3 billion,” he said.

“Plus prejudgement interest,” Mr. Williamson confirmed.

To which the judge tartly replied, “We shouldn’t forget that.”

Judge Hellerstein ordered Mr. Silverstein to provide more documentation of his claim, or risk losing it.

Mr. McQuillan, the spokesman for Mr. Silverstein, said on Wednesday the developer felt both an obligation under his lease and a moral obligation to rebuild, rather than walk away. He said that the insurance companies who paid him would be repaid if he prevails.

Plaintiffs also revealed that after a spate of settlements, there are seven wrongful death cases and two injury cases remaining, out of more than 90 filed.

Those who sued represent just a small fraction of the casualties on Sept. 11. Most of the victims of the attack and their families chose to take the compensation offered through a federal fund, forgoing their right to sue.

Mr. Migliori, the lawyer for victims’ survivors, said he believed that the claimants with property-damage claims — including Mr. Silverstein and some insurance companies trying to recoup their payments — would allow the death and injury cases to get priority in payment of damages.

The judge declined to set any trial date in the case, saying that it would be “fictitious,” but set a fact-finding deadline at the end of this year. Any trials in the case appear to be more than a year away.

Closed Thread