daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old March 29th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #1001
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03242008...nes_103250.htm
EYE ON 17 WTC CRANES

EXTRA SAFETY AT SITE

By TOM TOPOUSIS

March 24, 2008 -- With fears rising over crane safety since the disaster in Midtown, the Port Authority plans a crane-inspection process at the World Trade Center that far exceeds city standards.

By early next year, the WTC will have the largest concentration of tower cranes of any building site in the nation, with 17 enormous hoists - some of which will rise higher than the Twin Towers once stood.

"There's no other proj ect in America, or in the world, with so many tower cranes," said PA Executive Director An thony Shorris.

"It's not just that there will be so many, but that the whole site is just 16 acres," said Shorris.

Shorris said the PA planning began well before the March 8 disaster on East 51st Street.

The World Trade Center site is owned by the PA and is not subject to city building or fire regulations.

But Shorris said the agency has asked the two city agencies to take part, with regular inspections of the cranes.

"The Fire Department comes in every two weeks and the Buildings Department will be in to inspect the cranes," Shorris said.

"We not only want to meet city standards; we want to go beyond the city standards."

The city inspections will be in addition to reviews done by the PA's own safety officials and inspectors for the contractors building the towers.

Citywide, there are roughly 40 tower cranes at work. The city unit charged with checking those cranes has come under fire since one inspector was charged last week with falsifying records of inspections at the disaster site.

The WTC will be an increased burden for the Buildings Department, which has six inspectors who can monitor cranes.

By 2009, all 17 cranes and their accompanying projects will be rising above the World Trade Center.

Two tower cranes are already at work on the Freedom Tower, with a third to be added as the building approaches street level. Those cranes will have to rise taller than the building's rooftop at 1,368 feet - the height of the Twin Towers.

Meanwhile, a civic group yesterday began a petition aimed at halting further construction on the high-rise where the crane collapsed, killing seven people.

The building, at 303 E. 51 St., is now at 18 stories.

The petition, begun by the Turtle Bay Association, states that allowing the structure to go to its planned 43 stories would require the use of a crane similar to the one that collapsed, posing a threat to the community.

"It would be relatively simple to just . . . leave it at 18 stories," said association Vice President Bruce Silberblatt.

Additional reporting by Leonardo Blair

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #1002
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03272008...ing_103783.htm
DOWNTOWN UNRAVELING

March 27, 2008 -- WORLD Trade Center-area reconstruction suddenly seems on the brink of un raveling again. The ascension of woefully inexperienced David Paterson to the governor's job threatens to unleash anarchy Downtown.

Yes, work is underway on the Freedom Tower and the memorial - but large questions linger about how they'll actually look when finished, compared with what the public's been led to expect.

Eliot Spitzer at least had a handle on the Ground Zero agenda and commanded some respect from the principal players. Under the green new governor, agendas and plans once set in stone now look to be as flexible as they were in the George Pataki years.

Don't bet a dime on the timetables recently announced with great fanfare by developer Larry Silverstein, the Port Authority and the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. Three ominous developments over the past few days call into question even the most concrete-sounding plans:

* As The Post first reported on March 18 in the wake of JP Morgan Chase's plan to take over Bear Stearns, Morgan will move its investment banking unit into Bear's tower on Madison Avenue - meaning it has no need to build a new headquarters at 130 Liberty St., as it once planned.

Sure, Morgan - feeling heat from Speaker Sheldon Silver, who represents Downtown - says it's still interested in using the site for some kind of building. But the Port Authority is already thinking about using the site for something completely different, like a hotel or a mixed-use project.

Even if Morgan decides to make a deal with the PA, it will likely be for a smaller tower than the 1.1 million square-foot jumbo it had wanted. So it would surely seek softer terms than the $300 million land lease for which it has a handshake with the PA.

That in turn would delay things further - or give either side an excuse to back out. (The Morgan-PA deal has always been non-binding, and will remain so until they draw up a contract and sign it - a process that hasn't even started.)

And nobody can build even a woodshed at the site until the LMDC takes down the old Deutsche Bank ruin - a job for which the LMDC refuses to give a time estimate, although decontamination has resumed.

* LMDC Chairman Avi Schick - the same fellow who has presided over the failure to take down 130 Liberty St. - is now throwing a monkey wrench into the MTA's tormented Fulton Street Transit Center project.

The Fulton boondoggle (first budgeted at $750 million and now pushing $1.2 billion) was already spinning its wheels as the MTA tries to milk more dough out of the state (i.e., the taxpayers).

The MTA doesn't have nearly enough money to build the above-ground domed pavilion that was the project's public face. Nor has the agency even started on "untangling" the existing station's "maze" of platforms, which was the scheme's entire original raison d'etre.

Worse, the MTA has torn up streets and sidewalks to build an unnecessary pedestrian tunnel that will eventually (maybe by the end of the century?) connect the Fulton station with the PA's new PATH terminal at Ground Zero (another delayed, over-budget scheme that might not ultimately resemble what's been shown to the public).

Now the New York Observer reports that Schick recently "brought forward" an idea to move the Performing Arts Center that's planned for Ground Zero to the above-ground part of the Fulton Transit project.

Although the Observer termed Schick's brainstorm an "idea" but "not yet a proposal," it's all too clear what it means: Nobody has any idea what to build at the Fulton Street site, a once-active block that's now a rat-infested vacant lot - a Son of Ground Zero two blocks from the real thing.

It also means the whole Fulton project is in play - subject to political whims and power plays on top of its existing chaos.

The arts center was long regarded as an integral part of WTC reconstruction; for an official of Schick's stature even to suggest yanking it entirely off-site means Ground Zero itself is not safe from further political interference.

* The Daily News reports that the NYPD wants to take over Ground Zero security from the Port Authority - a power play "driven," the paper said, by the NYPD's "growing concerns" about "security flaws" in the three office towers Silverstein is to build along Church Street.

That should sound familiar. Belated NYPD "security" concerns scuttled the original Freedom Tower in May 2005 and resulted in a year-long delay to redesign the building, which is now - finally - under construction by the Port Authority.

The NYPD's sudden qualms about Silverstein's towers raise exactly the same unavoidable (but never properly answered) questions that came up in 2005: Since the tower designs were made public two years ago, why did the NYPD wait until now - just as work is actually starting - to butt in?

Conspiracy-mongering is the last thing we need at Ground Zero, a place that's already fostered far too many wacky theories about what "really" happened on 9/11. But a PA-NYPD scrimmage over security sure sounds like a threat to getting the buildings out of the ground, just days after we were given assurances they'd be up in no time at all.
Old March 31st, 2008, 02:50 PM   #1003
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Work continues at the sites for tower 3 & 4. They are still drilling holes and excavating the caissons for the tower.

A few days ago by fran_von_der_spree:
image hosted on flickr

Tag_one no está en línea  
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:54 PM   #1004
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

great to see much progress
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM   #1005
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Very Bad News, Very Good News

It seems like the cultural center building for the WTC, which isn’t going well, could be relocated on top of the Fulton Street Transit Center, which is a few blocks away from the WTC. The MTA was considering planning some sort of skyscraper to make a profit in the future. A new WTC tower could possibly take the currently proposed site of WTCPAC.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2008, 06:44 AM   #1006
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Very Bad News, Very Good News

It seems like the cultural center building for the WTC, which isn’t going well, could be relocated on top of the Fulton Street Transit Center, which is a few blocks away from the WTC. The MTA was considering planning some sort of skyscraper to make a profit in the future. A new WTC tower could possibly take the currently proposed site of WTCPAC.
Can you please elaborate. Which tower will take it's place? if you have a map it will help. thank you

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #1007
NovaWolverine

Likes (Received): 83

I don't think there is a design for the replacement tower. It sucks that the cultural center is moving though.
NovaWolverine no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #1008
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaWolverine View Post
I don't think there is a design for the replacement tower. It sucks that the cultural center is moving though.
I have no idea how they will accommodate this center on top of the Fulton station. there is supposed to be a huge glass dome on top of it to make it full of light - so now what? a "grim" station. I don't get it.
Though if they can put a second Freedom tower next to first one to make it twins instead of Cultural center - that would be great.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #1009
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
Can you please elaborate. Which tower will take it's place? if you have a map it will help. thank you
A totally new tower or something like a low-rise hotel, some sort of totally new development, depending on what they decide to do.
Why'd you need a map? The WTC PAC is right next to the Freedom Tower, in the middle of Tower 2 and Tower 1. Even if they plan a tower, there's no way at all it will be a twin.

By the way, the grand plans for the Fulton St hub are dead (the one with the big dome); it's just some regular station now. The best station of lower Manhattan will be the WTC hub with its world-class, amazing design; it will be u/c soon. It's possible the Fulton Street station will be improved if they decide to put the cultural center there.

Last edited by Ebola; April 4th, 2008 at 09:29 AM.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #1010
Neutral!
ESTELI REPUBLIC

Location: ESTELI-Delft-Milan-Roma-NWestfalen-NY-CHI-BCN-MAD-BIO-MIAMI-SEA-AMS-SF-LA-Moscu-München-LONDON-PARIS
Likes (Received): 1647

With spring and summer arriving, hopefully construction picks up!

Neutral! no está en línea  
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #1011
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
A totally new tower or something like a low-rise hotel, some sort of totally new development, depending on what they decide to do.
Why'd you need a map? The WTC PAC is right next to the Freedom Tower, in the middle of Tower 2 and Tower 1. Even if they plan a tower, there's no way at all it will be a twin.

By the way, the grand plans for the Fulton St hub are dead (the one with the big dome); it's just some regular station now. The best station of lower Manhattan will be the WTC hub with its world-class, amazing design; it will be u/c soon. It's possible the Fulton Street station will be improved if they decide to put the cultural center there.
I actually heard that plans for Fulton station just ran out of money and they are delaying it but not canceling anything. I maybe wrong but i didn't see anything other then that.

Old April 5th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #1012
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 179

Incredible Looks like NYC doesn't want to give up it's the best skyline in the world
Alexriga no está en línea  
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #1013
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexriga View Post
Incredible Looks like NYC doesn't want to give up it's the best skyline in the world
no city can ever beat NY
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:40 AM   #1014
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

from flickr

image hosted on flickr
Densetsu no está en línea  
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:10 AM   #1015
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

thats a amazing pic how old is it? Now I'm not suggesting they building another FT giving the size of the plot, it would never work. And lets not forget the NYPD favorite line now a day, It's to close to the street. I mean it would have been nice to see two of this building going up. And not because it would be like have the old tower again. I mean that has something to do with it. But I'm all for have two Supertalls of the same size so close to each other. But no use crying over spilt milk whats done is done. I'm just happy we're getting our skyline back. God bless the land they building on.
Old April 16th, 2008, 10:17 PM   #1016
wap-190

Likes (Received): 53

by uncleE (flickr)
image hosted on flickr

Original size

That's an interesting image, are these machines for drilling the rebar direct into the ground?
wap-190 no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #1017
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

No, those are for drilling holes for the explosives as they blast out rock to create the concrete anchor footings for the foundation for the buildings.
Basincreek no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:53 AM   #1018
emutiny

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basincreek View Post
No, those are for drilling holes for the explosives as they blast out rock to create the concrete anchor footings for the foundation for the buildings.
I dont think they allow blasting in nyc.
emutiny no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM   #1019
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

The originally used small blasts to break up the schist under the current 1 WTC construction using similar machinery shown in the above picture.
ramvid01 no está en línea  
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #1020
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

No I never seen them blasting anything in NYC. I mean there is a subway under there or did we forget that.

Closed Thread