daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old May 3rd, 2008, 05:04 AM   #1061
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Unofficially, WTC Tower 3 is taller than WTC Tower 2. I'm not too sure what's going on, but don't get your hopes up until it's official.

I am still a little scared because I didn't see anything yet. I hope that the final product is as good as or better than the current renderings; if not, I hope we get what we see now. I don't want to get my hopes up because changes may be horrible.

Last edited by Ebola; May 3rd, 2008 at 05:43 AM.
Ebola no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2008, 07:03 AM   #1062
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by thf5007 View Post
Can't wait to see the streets of Downtown Manhattan packed again when these towers are completed and occupied. After seeing whats happened with 7WTC, im pretty confident the space will be filled.
I ride PATH every week, and it is very sad to see what used to be a bustling downtown turn into a pedestrian ghost town (aside from tourists). I will be very happy when i can get to the 1 2 3/a c e from PATH without having to go up stairs then down stairs in a huge waste of time.

- Andy
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM   #1063
mclancer
Take off, eh!

Likes (Received): 9

If they are going to increase the height of tower 3 then
It would be nice if tower 4 was raised to over 1000'.

The time is here, "SUPERTALL FOR TORONTO" !!!
(Man, even the UK & Australia have one!... lol)
mclancer no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:29 AM   #1064
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

As far as I know, they have no plans to really modify Tower 4 and are just starting to build it. Foundation work will be done in six months then after that we'll start to see Tower 4 steel. Just so you know, the height of Tower 4 was increased from about 940 feet to now over 970 feet so another small increase wouldn't be out of the question, but I don't think so.
Tower 3 may or may not be delayed depending on what's really going on. I'm going to try to get more info about that; I know one person who knows a few people related to the project and I'm waiting to contact him and ask to see if he can ask some questions for me.

One thing I find amazing is how many changes there have been since 2002 to today and beyond. I bet you can write a 1,000-page book about it all.

Last edited by Ebola; May 3rd, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
Ebola no está en línea  
Old May 3rd, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1065
CMack
///M

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
One thing I find amazing is how many changes there have been since 2002 to today and beyond. I bet you can write a 1,000-page book about it all.
Hopefully after all is said-and-done someone will write a book about the WTC redevelopment (2002-2012) that documents all the proposals, happenings, changes, construction, etc. I would be interested in that.
CMack no está en línea  
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #1066
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Here's an update of tower 3 & 4 from flickr. Although it looks like nothing is happening they make good progress with drilling holes for the foundation caissons. Slowly but surely we can see the shapes of the foundation appearing in worlds hardest rocks. It won't be long before they will dig out the caissons and put the first layer of concrete in it

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The site for tower 2 is also progressing very well. About 50% of the soil above the bedrock is excavated and all the remnants of the former PATH station are demolished. Only some small foundation piles are still in place. Those will be demolished during the excavation.

image hosted on flickr

Tag_one no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1067
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/03...ilverstei.html
3/13/08

Wait, How Does Larry Silverstein Think These WTC Towers Will Get Built?

Photo courtesy of Silverstein Properties

Larry Silverstein's feeling upbeat about the future, but we wonder about his grip on reality as it currently stands. Addressing a roomful of construction pros yesterday, the developer promised that the four towers he wants to build at the World Trade Center site will open by 2012 (with retail comprising “big boxes, little boxes, restaurants, and bars”) and told us later that the site would deliver “an urban experience” as walkable as Bleecker Street — “with bollards, of course.” Lovely. But Silverstein also claimed that construction inflation is starting to level off just as his architects are due to start confronting the problem of how to connect four distinct skyscrapers underground. “I was at the General Contractors Association table, and eyebrows went up when he said that,” says Rick Bell, head of the local American Institute of Architects chapter, who has visited the design studio where Silverstein's starchitects are laboring to cost out the towers' underground guts. “I didn't get any consensus on that from contractors or from architects.”

Indeed, architects we talked to say they hope construction prices start to moderate, but that the only big factor likely to cause that would be a slowdown in big state-sponsored projects. Is Larry betting that Moynihan Station will stall, freeing up more contractors to bid for his project and enabling him to drive a harder bargain? Maybe. When asked what he'd say to governor-designate David Paterson about the help he needs with the Trade Center site, Silverstein was fairly gloating: “I would say to him that all the contracts [with the Port Authority] have been signed, and other than that, Godspeed.” —Alec Appelbaum
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1068
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

From flickr by derek7272

image hosted on flickr
Densetsu no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #1069
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

The Deutsche Bank Building's really getting small now.
storms991 no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #1070
Northerly

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
The Deutsche Bank Building's really getting small now.
What is the latest news on what will replace the Deutsche Bank Building?
Northerly no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #1071
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

we've a own thread for that

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=489987
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #1072
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

They've put two blue mats on one of foundation site in ground zero (south east corner of tower ground zero), what is that?
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #1073
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

these mats are a cover-foil for 2 holes. load a pic from may 8th and you'll see
ZZ-II no está en línea  
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:02 AM   #1074
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008...ckly_will.html
Failure to rebuild WTC site quickly will cost taxpayers

BY DOUGLAS FEIDEN
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Updated Monday, May 12th 2008, 11:09 AM

Photos by Zuma and AP

Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein got (c.) sweet deal from Mayor Bloomberg (l.) and George Pataki.

New Yorkers are on the hook to hand over $321 million to Goldman Sachs, America's richest investment bank, because reconstruction of the World Trade Center has fallen way behind schedule.

Under the hidden terms of a deal that then-Gov. George Pataki and Mayor Bloomberg approved in 2005, the city and state agreed to pay huge penalties to the firm if major portions of Ground Zero redevelopment weren't complete by next year, a target now considered impossible to meet.

Goldman wanted speedy construction because the Wall Street giant is building its own $2.4 billion tower across from the site on West St.

Now, Goldman could snare 64 years of free rent worth $161 million that it's supposed to pay for leasing the state land. Goldman could also recoup an additional $160 million in sales tax payments.

The sweetheart deal okayed by Bloomberg and Pataki also provided $1.65 billion in tax-free

Liberty Bonds and a $115 million incentive package. At the time, the bank was threatening to decamp to New Jersey.

In return for constructing its 43-story office building for 9,000 employees, Goldman. was allowed to put $161 million it owed in rent and $160 million in sales taxes into escrow accounts, documents show. Albany and City Hall agreed that Goldman could keep its cash if two conditions were not met:

* Specific blockbuster transit-and-security projects on the Trade Center footprint had to be finished by the end of next year, when Goldman's tower will be finished. Officials concede that's not going to happen - and that the projects are years behind schedule.

* A comprehensive security plan for downtown had to be "implemented" before 2010. That counterterrorist plan can't be fully "implemented," as the deal requires, until the structures at Ground Zero are in place.

The bottom line: The $321 million bonanza in tax and lease payments could soon revert to the Wall Street powerhouse, which piled up $11.6 billion in profits last year.

Goldman spokeswoman Andrea Raphael declined to comment, but in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing four months ago, the firm made note of the escrow deal and implied it could be pocketing the ground-lease payments.

"Under the terms of the ground lease, we made a lump-sum ground rent payment in June 2007 of $161 million, which was paid into escrow, to be released to the Battery Park City Authority pending performance of specified state and city obligations," it said.

State officials wouldn't discuss specifics - even though the document they refused to discuss can be found on the SEC Web site. City officials think they're off the hook.

"The city is on track to provide a comprehensive security plan for lower Manhattan by the end of 2009 as required by the agreement, and we are working with the Port Authority and Lower Manhattan Development Corp. to help them meet the other deadlines," said Deputy Mayor for Economic. Development Robert. Lieber.

Lawyers are likely to argue this point: How can a security plan for Ground Zero. be "implemented" by 2010 if none of the iconic buildings at the site are wrapped up by that time?

Sources close to the deal said only that the state and city are in preliminary talks with Goldman to win a bit of flexibility.

"The state and Goldman Sachs have and continue to have productive conversations on ensuring that downtown is rebuilt in a manner that is fair to both workers and residents and, of course, all taxpayers," said Avi Schick, chairman of the LMDC.

Among the projects supposed to see ribbon cuttings by 2010:

* The Transportation Hub: With its soaring wings designed to resemble a bird in flight, the PATH terminal was originally planned to open in 2006. A new report says there's less than a 5% chance of the hub being complete before July 2012.

* The Vehicular Security Center under Liberty St.: A centerpiece of security operations, this is the planned $478 million subterranean complex through which delivery trucks and buses will access the 16-acre site. Construction of the high-tech security checkpoint can't even start until the toxic former Deutsche Bank tower above it is finally demolished. The latest estimated opening date is 2011 or 2012.

[email protected]
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #1075
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 36

Don't you already have your TTA thread?
ADCS no está en línea  
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #1076
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Question: at the south east corner of ground zero, foundation where blue mat (cover foil) recently been put on. On the side of that, towards west, there's long wall being demolished, what is that?
buildmilehightower no está en línea  
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #1077
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

If you are talking about the wall that seperates the higher ground where the subway box is from the lower ground, that is just a temporary retaining wall.

They are dismantling the temporary wall because they are digging out the dirt under the train box. You can start to see the underpinning (that steel that is below and around the edges of the bottom of the train box) and I believe they intend to dig 40 feet below it, so as they dig the dirt out they will get rid of the excess temporary wall.
ramvid01 no está en línea  
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1078
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

They've also erected a drilling rig next to the Tower 4 site at the top of the secant wall (which is the temporary retaining wall).

Also looks like they are dismantling the old temporary PATH station on Church St.
Basincreek no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:46 AM   #1079
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADCS View Post
Don't you already have your TTA thread?
It isn't enough for him.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202

Last edited by nygirl; May 14th, 2008 at 04:55 AM.
nygirl no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:41 PM   #1080
Taller & Taller
AKA Whynottaller

Likes (Received): 19

How is Deutsche Bank Building deconstruction going?
Taller & Taller no está en línea  

Closed Thread