daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Bangladesh > Cityscapes & Urban Development



Reply

 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #81
meghnarmajhi
Tetulia theke Teknaf
 
meghnarmajhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,857
Likes (Received): 0

is this a screen-grab from googleearth?
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------
25% pro-east, 25% pro-north, 25% pro-south, and 25% pro-west.
My best offer. Take it or leave it.

COLOURS IS MY PASSION
------------------------------------------------------------
meghnarmajhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #82
runtings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 1

Yes in essence. I took it from Google Maps.
runtings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #83
runtings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 1

Some more Google Earth pics of Bangladesh stadiums

MA Aziz stadium, Chittagong




Chittagong Divisional stadium




Cox Bazar stadium




Rajshahi stadium




Rajshahi Divisional stadium




Khulna stadium




Khulna Divisional stadium




Barisal Divisional stadium


Last edited by runtings; April 29th, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
runtings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #84
nayeem007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,346
Likes (Received): 338

Now that we have got 2 more matches for the 2011 cricket world cup, I think we should have couple matches in Chittagong. Opening ceremony at National Stadium in Mothijheel, quarter finals in Mirpur Cricket Stadium and maybe the league matches at Chittagong... this will boost tourism and at the end of the event, we will have three world class venues with all the facilities!
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #85
rinathq
Eternal Dream
 
rinathq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Toronto, Dhaka
Posts: 685
Likes (Received): 18

anyone know what upgrades are we looking at for the world cup? and in terms of mirpur stadium i think we need a big upgrade not only in the stadium but also in its surroundings, security, electronic scoreboard, commentary, floodlights and so on. They could also get couple of games in Bongobondhu National Stadium as it is a brilliant stadium but again, needs HUGE upgrade..on that
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #86
Manazir
Registered User
 
Manazir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 2,708
Likes (Received): 74


agreed
__________________
LONG LIVE BANGLADESH
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #87
nayeem007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,346
Likes (Received): 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq View Post
anyone know what upgrades are we looking at for the world cup? and in terms of mirpur stadium i think we need a big upgrade not only in the stadium but also in its surroundings, security, electronic scoreboard, commentary, floodlights and so on. They could also get couple of games in Bongobondhu National Stadium as it is a brilliant stadium but again, needs HUGE upgrade..on that
Three stadiums to get Tk 1.52b facelift before World Cup Cricket in 2011

FHM Humayan Kabir

The government will spend nearly Tk 1.52 billion on the renovation of country's three key stadiums before hosting the World Cup Cricket in 2011, officials said Monday.

The Bangabandhu National Stadium (BNS), Sher-e-Bangla Cricket Stadium in Mirpur and Fatullah Osmani Stadium in Narayanganj would get the facelift ahead of the grand cricket tournament, a youth and sports ministry official told the FE.

"We'll spend over Tk 1.52 billion on renovation of the three major stadiums to make those attractive to the cricket-lovers across the world. The renovated stadiums would also uphold the country's image globally," he said.

The official said they hoped Bangladesh would get huge return from the investments, as the new-look of the stadiums would attract more foreign tourists and cricket fans.

Bangladesh would co-host the World Cup Cricket (WCC) 2011 with India and Sri Lanka.

The inaugural ceremony of the WCC would be held at BNS in Dhaka on February 19 in 2011.

Bangladesh would be home to eight matches out of the 49 games of the world cup including the opening match and two quarterfinals, expected to take place at Sher-e-Bangla Cricket Stadium and Fatullah Osmani Stadium.

The WCC matches will be spread out as India will host 29 games including one quarterfinal, one semifinal and the final, and Sri Lanka will be home to 12 games including one semi-final.

Director of the grounds and facilities department of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) Shafiqur Rahman Munna said the galleries, press-boxes, score-boards and display screens, approach roads and other facilities of the stadiums would be made world-class.

UNB Adds: ECNEC has approved three stadium development projects worth Tk 1.52 billion (152 crore) to facilitate smooth holding of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 in Bangladesh.

The development of the stadiums are among five development projects worth Tk 5.84 (584 crore) which was approved by the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council at its meeting at the NEC Tuesday.

Briefing reporters, Planning Minister AK Khandker said Tk 2.93 billion (293 crore) of the total project costs would be met from national exchequer while the rest Tk 291 crore would be spent from foreign aid.

Prime Minister and ECNEC chairperson Sheikh Hasina presided over the meeting, attended by senior cabinet ministers and senior officials concerned.

The projects are maintenance and development of Bangabandhu National Stadium at a cost of Tk 310 million (31 crore) to prepare the venue for the World Cup inaugural session, maintenance and development of Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur at a cost of Tk 640 million (64 crore) to convert it as an ICC standard stadium and maintenance and development of Narayanganj Khan Shaheb Osman Ali Stadium (Fatulla) at a cost of Tk 570 million (57 crore) to prepare it as an alternative venue of the World Cup Cricket.

http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.co.../26/77202.html
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:21 PM   #88
runtings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 1

Due to public and polticial pressure, World Cup matches will now take place at Chittagong Divisional stadium instead of Fatullah Osmani Stadium, which will now be a reserve stadium.

Personally I think Chittagong Divisional stadium is not large enough, in its present state, to accommodate the size of crowds expected at World Cup games. Last I remember, one quarter of the ground didn't have a stand and was just an open field (see Google Earth pic above). Even with a stand there, still not big enough. They need to put another tier of stand ontop of the present stands. I would of gone for the MA Aziz stadium in Chittagong which has a bigger capacity and has permanent floodlights so some day/night matches can happen during the tournament in Chittagon.

The major renovation that all our stadiums should get are roofs. This is protect the fans from the sun and eliminate the rubbish temporary bambo stick roofs that we put up which will look so poor for a World Cup. The original plans of Mirpur when converting to a cricket stadium included some sort of roof.
runtings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:08 PM   #89
jumoni
Registered User
 
jumoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: B'lore/Ghy
Posts: 1,789
Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtings View Post
What could have gone wrong here....???????? Whats up with the dimensions....all heywire.
__________________
Guwahati Trip; Shillong Trip;
NE pics;
jumoni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:22 PM   #90
jumoni
Registered User
 
jumoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: B'lore/Ghy
Posts: 1,789
Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtings View Post
__________________
Guwahati Trip; Shillong Trip;
NE pics;
jumoni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:18 PM   #91
nayeem007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,346
Likes (Received): 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtings View Post
Due to public and polticial pressure, World Cup matches will now take place at Chittagong Divisional stadium instead of Fatullah Osmani Stadium, which will now be a reserve stadium.

Personally I think Chittagong Divisional stadium is not large enough, in its present state, to accommodate the size of crowds expected at World Cup games. Last I remember, one quarter of the ground didn't have a stand and was just an open field (see Google Earth pic above). Even with a stand there, still not big enough. They need to put another tier of stand ontop of the present stands. I would of gone for the MA Aziz stadium in Chittagong which has a bigger capacity and has permanent floodlights so some day/night matches can happen during the tournament in Chittagon.

The major renovation that all our stadiums should get are roofs. This is protect the fans from the sun and eliminate the rubbish temporary bambo stick roofs that we put up which will look so poor for a World Cup. The original plans of Mirpur when converting to a cricket stadium included some sort of roof.
Having cricket matches in Chittagong is a good decision. It will help develop infrastructure (not just stadium but practise grounds, hotels, connecting roads, transporation etc) over there. Moreover it will be a big boost for tourism as Cox's Bazar and Hilltracts are 2 of the most scenic areas in Bangladesh...

I agree that the stadiums need to get renovated, but BCB should have enough money due to TV contracts to do that..
nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #92
rinathq
Eternal Dream
 
rinathq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Toronto, Dhaka
Posts: 685
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayeem007 View Post
Having cricket matches in Chittagong is a good decision. It will help develop infrastructure (not just stadium but practise grounds, hotels, connecting roads, transporation etc) over there. Moreover it will be a big boost for tourism as Cox's Bazar and Hilltracts are 2 of the most scenic areas in Bangladesh...

I agree that the stadiums need to get renovated, but BCB should have enough money due to TV contracts to do that..
You know, we could also have cricket matches in Cox's Bazar....it will be great, The tourism industry wilol highly benifit from this and it will be a pleasant location for cricketers
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #93
dopekhor
bleh!
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,827
Likes (Received): 320

why not build a stadium in coxs bazar?

it will also help to increase its fame when it hosts intl matches post world cup, the world cup will be n added bonus, due to the world cup ppl will visit it aka more exposure!
dopekhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #94
monazirus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 2

beach cricket is now on at coxs bazar from today. in a diff note sakib al hasn has bcome the wisden test cricketer of the year . ....go sakib
monazirus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:59 PM   #95
rinathq
Eternal Dream
 
rinathq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Toronto, Dhaka
Posts: 685
Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopekhor View Post
why not build a stadium in coxs bazar?

it will also help to increase its fame when it hosts intl matches post world cup, the world cup will be n added bonus, due to the world cup ppl will visit it aka more exposure!
Thats exactly what i meant.........the government never thinks this way man
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:09 AM   #96
runtings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 1

More pics of stadiums

Bangabandhu National Stadium






MA Aziz Stadium








Chittagong Divisional Stadium






Fatullah Stadium




Moulana Bhasani Hockey Stadium




Bangladesh Army Stadium




Mirpur Soharawardy Indoor Stadium








Dhanmondi Indoor Basketball Stadium




Last edited by runtings; February 9th, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
runtings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #97
runtings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 1

New Sylhet Divisional Stadium

From my understanding it was built around 2005 - 2008 and is complete now. It is situated in the north, was to be constructed on 12.50 acres of land within the Lakkatura area, at a cost of Tk 12.67 crore with a capacity of 30,000.

Only pics I could find were:

Construction







Completed, showing a school prize giving award

runtings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:09 PM   #98
rinathq
Eternal Dream
 
rinathq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Calgary, Toronto, Dhaka
Posts: 685
Likes (Received): 18

Heyy guiss, the world cups coming up, its not long now. So can we have some updates on the stadiums and projects related to the World CUP?
Thanks
rinathq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #99
runtings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
Likes (Received): 1

Updates, info and photos of the renovation works on the stadiums for the up and coming cricket world cup can be found on:

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=34058
runtings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #100
nayeem007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,346
Likes (Received): 338

Mirpur Cricket Stadium







nayeem007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu