daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Chicago

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #1
NittanyBLUE2002
JoePa4Eva

Likes (Received): 1

Outside of Chicago: Which American projects are the least/most compelling to you?

Chicago has at least a half-dozen crown jewels in the works right now. They're all so impressive that it's practically impossible to pick a favorite.

But, believe it or not, there does actually exist number of interesting projects going up outside the borders of the City of Skyscrapers -- and, to a smaller degree (relatively speaking), skylines are sprouting up and building depth all across the country.

With that said, I thought it might be interesting to check in with the Chicago contingent to see which projects (if any) might be captivating your interest in other cities.

So, here's the question:
What's your favorite non-Chicago U.S. development?

Follow up: What's your least favorite project?

As for me, I work about a block away from the William Beaver House, a residential high rise going up in NYC. It's got a pretty unconventional design with a very aggressive marketing campaign. Not sure if I'm ready to say this is the project of greatest interest to me outside of Chicago, but it would certainly rank up there (if for no other reason than just to see how it all turns out - it could become the residential talk of Lower Manhattan, or it could be a total flop, it's hard to say).

Here it is: --> William Beaver House, NYC.
As for my least favorite, it's gotta be this "thing."
NittanyBLUE2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 9th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #2
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 1113

I would either go for the mega-development like the Transbay Center in S.F. or the WTC redevelopment in NYC. Kind of stock answer but those are the only two that carry great interest for me and are likely to transform important and big parts of those city's.

I would say for its price tag and high profile I find LA Live to be underwhelming. For the amount of billions being thrown in and from the renders I have seen it doesn't make wow me.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #3
Latoso
C.B.P.

What's this rest of America you speak of? Actually I'm interested in Freedom Tower, Comcast Center is just meh, and I like the Signature Tower in Nashville. Other than that, not too much has caught my interest enough to single them out here.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham
Latoso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Steely Dan
facist lord of the cosmos

Likes (Received): 114

i'll be closely following the development of the fountain square tower in evanston, IL.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #5
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 11

Signature Tower in Nashville would be my favorite outside of Chicago.
Kngkyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #6
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I would say for its price tag and high profile I find LA Live to be underwhelming. For the amount of billions being thrown in and from the renders I have seen it doesn't make wow me.
Which renderings are you referring to? This one? That's just a preliminary design. You should expect something along the lines of Staples Center, as LA Live is being developed by AEG Worldwide.

Old May 10th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #7
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Museum Plaza in Louisville.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #8
creil

Likes (Received): 0

Midwest High Speed Rail
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #9
HowardL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Museum Plaza in Louisville.
Absolutley, that building is brilliant.

Least compelling would be NY Times Tower. For me, it has turned out to be such a solid dud.
HowardL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #10
robituss

Yes, I have to agree that Louisvilles Museum Plaza will be interesting. I hope they can pull it off, but it could end up looking real ugly. I like the renders though.

The 1800' Las Vegas building is interesting as well, just cause I cant believe they would build something so ugly. ..... well, nevermind its vegas.
robituss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #11
NOLAUSA

The Payless in Peoria!
NOLAUSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #12
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAUSA View Post
The Payless in Peoria!
i don't know how to tell you this, nola, but Payless was forced to pull out of the But-Will-It-Play-In development in downtown Peoria. Seems it was a little too trendy and too expensive for the market to support so the company pulled the plug on the two story tower.

sorry to have to been to one to inform you, but you'll be happy to know that Danville is still going ahead with the Danville Spire Silos project.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote