daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2007, 01:59 AM   #21
Dennis
Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 12

awesome pictures! wow

Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #22
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6415

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
No alcohol after 3am? Wstminster Council should really not interfere with these kind of matters. Why did they come up with this rule anyway?
The council is populated by some of the richest people in the country, yet mostly living still above shops and bars in small flats. Theyve put pressure on their elected council to curb the partying and invisioned crime associated wth the nightlife - this includes a ban on rainbow flags, pavement cafe tables and other dangerous non-Tory furniture. There is still a ray of hope though, some like minded residents recently blocked the police evicting a brothel, as the sex workers were part of the community and tradition.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #23
TouristMan
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 11

56 killer... LOL

Rome's most beautiful Str33t5
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...475060t=461792
TouristMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:33 AM   #24
WolfHound
College Student

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Soho (not SoHo, don't whatever you do confuse it with the NYC version, this is the 350 year old original) is the gay district, sex district, Chinatownand media village rolled into one, its also part of Theatreland and is chock full of restaurants, bars and cafes - anything goes here. However due to the conservative Westminster Council putting a ban on alcohol after 3am alot of the established clubs are moving out to 'the new West End', the East End. Meanwhile the gay village has half decamped to Vauxhall, south of the river. Theres still alot going on in Soho with the streets still crowded at 4am, but its not the 24hr place it once was.
Yea that what I loved about London no matter how late it was, there are still crowds of people wondering the city. I can't wait to visit London again.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM   #25
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

yep, one of my memories is coming out of a club at 4am in midwinter and the streets were packed, then whilst queuing for a Japanese noodle bar these drunks started throwing bottles into the crowd - which hurt no one and everyone ignored. After the 3rd one smashed near us we decided to move to Charing X Rd and queued again for a lebanese kebab, whilst watching a couple doing impromptu capoeira for the crowd. Then a girl in front of us found her handbag had been emptied while she did the order, and thought it was us.

In short, London at 4am is thrilling, but its seedy face comes to fore. The streets are also packed with the nights detritus before the Sunday sweepmobiles start at 5am. Another thing to watch out for at night is how much more spectacular the city looks (when the night is yet young and before the rubbish, piss and vomit piles up), with the trees wrapped in fairy lights and the buildings lit from below. Also strange metal structures from the pavement will rise up automatically once darkness falls - theyre open air urinals, which pretty much embody London nightlife, the mangy and the cool.
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:16 PM   #26
Patachou

Likes (Received): 16

Simply brilliant
Patachou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #27
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

cool thanks! How on earth did you find it again? patachou
Old April 4th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #28
Patachou

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
cool thanks! How on earth did you find it again? patachou
London fascinates me. I enjoy combing your thread for unusual images of London!!
Patachou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #29
Brazil_Gold Coast

Likes (Received): 0

Love it!!!! I'll be going to London for the first time ever in May, but I'll be there for only two days...anyone has good ideas of the "not to miss" places? Cool places to just wander around and have a real London feeling?
Brazil_Gold Coast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #30
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12273

I'm assuming these are all Spliff's own photos, so will move this to Urban Showcase section!
Old April 9th, 2008, 03:01 AM   #31
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazil_Gold Coast View Post
Love it!!!! I'll be going to London for the first time ever in May, but I'll be there for only two days...anyone has good ideas of the "not to miss" places? Cool places to just wander around and have a real London feeling?

ok after 25 years here, Brick Lane on a Sunday market. Ask directions from Liverpool Street tube, you can pop into the nearby Spitalfields arts market too.