daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2008, 12:15 AM   #81
DCCliff

Likes (Received): 0

??? No, the other left.
DCCliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #82
DCCliff

Likes (Received): 0

What I mean is: It's a really bad rendering of the Tides, vs. the Shoreham to the right, which is fairly true to the actual building. Go figure.
DCCliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:27 PM   #83
JPits312

Likes (Received): 4

Hey, what ever happened the this project? I really like this building.
JPits312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 06:52 AM   #84
Sarcasm
Platinum Memeber

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPits312 View Post
Well, in case you have been hibernating since late 2008, let me fill you in. The economy has gone down the drain, the real estate market has crashed, banks are not lending, millions have lost their jobs... do I need to continue?

BTW, a great way to begin your presence on this forum. Congrats!

Freie Fahrt für freie bürger!
Sarcasm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM   #85
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Despite the poor economy, this building stands a decent chance of coming to fruition. The developer of Lakeshore East is highly prudent and has a strong track record of getting projects completed.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:03 PM   #86
nicksplace27

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Despite the poor economy, this building stands a decent chance of coming to fruition. The developer of Lakeshore East is highly prudent and has a strong track record of getting projects completed.
But will it be in the same form? I really want this land to be devloped into an incredible skyscraper like this. So far, the Chicago riverfront has been developing into something amazing and it would be such a wasted oppourtunity if some dreck is put in this prime location.
nicksplace27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM   #87
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
^ I would have to agree
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #88
JPits312

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
Well, in case you have been hibernating since late 2008, let me fill you in. The economy has gone down the drain, the real estate market has crashed, banks are not lending, millions have lost their jobs... do I need to continue?

BTW, a great way to begin your presence on this forum. Congrats!
Wow, why the harshness?

I knew that the real estate market had crashed. All I was doing was asking if anyone knew anything recent on the project.

Oh, and by the way. Thanks for the great "welcome."
JPits312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #89
nicksplace27

Quote:
Wow, why the harshness?

I knew that the real estate market had crashed. All I was doing was asking if anyone knew anything recent on the project.

Oh, and by the way. Thanks for the great "welcome."
Probably just frustrated about the dry spell here. Look on the bright side, there is still skyscraper construction. Lincoln Park 2520 and Roosevelt University Tower is progressing along perfectly fine.
nicksplace27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #90
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
All I was doing was asking if anyone knew anything recent on the project.
I'm not sure why Mr. Sarcasm responded that way, but it was unnecessarily caustic. The regular Chicago forumers are very active, and a few in particular seem very well-connected in the industry. Any breaking news about projects, especially a project of this size and height, usually hits these boards within the day. So rest assured, if there's an update, you'll quickly see it here.

Welcome (in a nice way this time) to the forum!
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #91
Sarcasm
Platinum Memeber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
I'm not sure why Mr. Sarcasm responded that way, but it was unnecessarily caustic. The regular Chicago forumers are very active, and a few in particular seem very well-connected in the industry. Any breaking news about projects, especially a project of this size and height, usually hits these boards within the day. So rest assured, if there's an update, you'll quickly see it here.

Welcome (in a nice way this time) to the forum!
I'm sorry if it was harsh, but I'm actually a big fan of this tower and recently heard an off the cuff comment about the Lakeshore East development. I’m subscribed to this thread, so when I saw the post I thought that some info had been made public. Instead I see someone who has just registered to ask what happened to the project.

It is pretty obvious to me that if the last post was back in December of 2008 (14.5 months ago) not much has happened since then. I’m pretty sure that if any snippet of info is released publicly it is going to find a way to this forum very quickly without having anyone to ask for it. From my point of view it was completely redundant posting.

Freie Fahrt für freie bürger!
Sarcasm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #92
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Redundant posting or not, that was awful harsh. Also, automatically assuming that information would somehow filter to this thread is a bad assumption, as if everyone assumed that, no actual information would filter to this thread.

And anyway, I can't wait for the economy to get well enough to support a building like this, one of the most exciting ones for Lakeshore East.
Old March 12th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #93
wrabbit

Quote:
Hi, JPits312 - welcome to the forum. Things at LSE are in hibernation, as others have indicated.

I agree that it'd be fun for Arquitectonica to do a project here.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #94
untitledreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicksplace27 View Post
So far, the Chicago riverfront has been developing into something amazing and it would be such a wasted oppourtunity if some dreck is put in this prime location.
Have you not seen Lakeshore East? Not a single interesting building aside from Aqua.

What needs to occur in that area is something that promotes street activity. Such dense housing with absolutely nothing to do within 4 blocks
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #95
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

^--- wholeheartedly agreed. We would love to live in LSE, but, there's NOTHING to do there and you're all but marooned unless you've got a car!
Old March 16th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #96
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Marooned? Nothing to do? You're 2 blocks from the Loop, 3-4 blocks from every L line, and Michigan Ave/River North is right across the bridge. How spoiled are you? Do you need a bar/restaurant IN the building you live in?
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #97
3521usa

Likes (Received): 36

+1...I think it's laziness.
3521usa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #98
untitledreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
Marooned? Nothing to do? You're 2 blocks from the Loop, 3-4 blocks from every L line, and Michigan Ave/River North is right across the bridge. How spoiled are you? Do you need a bar/restaurant IN the building you live in?
The Loop is dead once the work day is over and that whole area reeks of tourist.

"3-4 blocks to every CTA line".... to go where? Oh, thats right, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Lakeview, Bucktown, Greektown... the areas of the city that have a vibrant streetlife.

I never said you needed a bar in the building you live in... in fact thats you missing the point entirely. There just needs to be something, anything in that area to make it a NEIGHBORHOOD instead of just a housing development.
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #99
untitledreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3521usa View Post
+1...I think it's laziness.
Do you live in LakeShore East? If so... do you ever stay in that area for anything other than the park and your home? If not... have you ever gone to LSE to do anything other than look at buildings? I doubt it... because there is nothing there.

Like I just mentioned, Lake Shore East is too much like a large scale housing development and too little like a Neighborhood. Hell, the south loop has better street life.

Its not about laziness, its about creating a sense of community, a sense of place. Maybe the podium of Aqua will do some of that when its filled with tenants, but there needs to be more, much more. For instance, I live in Lakeview and find myself walking to retail stores, grocery, parks, restaurants and bars in the community 70% of the time I go out... and the other 30% of the time I go explore other communities throughout the city. I feel at home and connected to my own neighborhood besides just sleeping there... something I can guarantee not many people in LSE can say.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #100
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

I always thought LSE was purposely designed and marketed as an urban oasis, so a "vibrant street life" isn't something I expect to see anyway. I don't think it's (relative) isolated location, sunken elevation and size help things either, if you're looking to attract foot traffic with non-LSE residents. And there are dangers with attempting to engineer street life: see Roosevelt Collection.

I guess I don't think every urban community (however you define it) has to have busy streets to actually FEEL like a community. Plenty of people are perfectly content meeting at the dog park or talking with other parents by the playground. You might find it boring and lifeless, but then why even worry about it? That's what Lincoln Park/Lakeview/South Loop are for. I've lived in all 3, and while they have great street life, it never was a requirement for feeling like a part of the neighborhood.

Quote:
There just needs to be something, anything in that area to make it a NEIGHBORHOOD instead of just a housing development.
I would argue that a gigantic might-as-well-be-private park right outside your building counts as a huge "something" for most of the residents, especially if they have kids. I'm sure the grocery store, steak house and (hopefully) grade school will also add some extra life in the near future.