daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM   #21
ml2200
BANNAn na gębie ;)

Likes (Received): 1

>>They want build railway on 200km/h (now there are few lines on 160km/h).
>>The worst railroad is between Warsaw and Nasielsk (line to Gdansk).Sometimes the speed limit is 60km/h.Next year they are going to close that line to fix it.Trains will travel between Warsaw and Gdansk by Kutno,Wloclawek,Torun and Bydgoszcz (central line north-south)(it will take 1,5h more)
ml2200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:02 PM   #22
zfreeman

What about an east-west line to connect with German High Speed Services??
zfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #23
ml2200
BANNAn na gębie ;)

West - east line (warsaw-poznan-slubice) is made on 160km/h
ml2200 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #24
Yury

Likes (Received): 10

guys, will there also be a high-speed connection to Ukraine since Poland and Ukraine will co-host the Euro 2012? are there any maps of planned routes? great plans, by the way!
Yury no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #25
virgule82

Likes (Received): 3

POLAND | High Speed Rail

Exciting news:

Infrastructure Minister Cezary Grabarczyk has announced construction of a high-speed rail service in Poland.

Minister Grabarczyk told Polish Radio 3 Friday morning that the first railway would link the Polish capital Warsaw with Lodz and Poznan and would be called Project Y. He said the project implementation would take several years.

The Infrastructure Minister said that Poland should follow the example of Spain, which had a very poor rail system until it embarked on the construction of its high-speed rail. Today Spaniards enjoy 1000 kilometres of high-speed rail, the minister reminded.

http://www.polskieradio.pl/thenews/business/?id=79498
virgule82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #26
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

Awesome. Any maps of prosepctive routes?
Old April 4th, 2008, 11:41 PM   #27
virgule82

Couldn't find anything, they may not have decided on it yet. I imagine it's y-shaped given the name though.

Poland should be a good country for HSR. It has a decent-sized population and the country is completely flat, so construction should be cheap.
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #28
E2rdEm
prostownik

Likes (Received): 1201

Don't get too excited... yet.

The project has been around for several years. In 2005 there was an initial study of the line (available here: http://www.szybkiekoleje.org.pl/page...=3&di=10&pi=13) which proposed two variants as shown on this map:

Seems like the red variant is more likely to be built. Also the study proposed to go around Łódź - only with links to this city. Now it's more likely to go right through Łódź in a cross-city tunnel, which should be built anyway for regional trains.

In a current EU budget perspective (till 2013) there are only preparations and more studies to be carried out. The construction will not start before 2013. Even if it starts in the next EU budget (2013-20) it probably won't be fully financed by public money - they are looking for public-private partnership for this project.

So don't hold your breath. It might become reality some time in the future. Eventually.

Here's a thread on polish subforum: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=153954

Edit: this map is better for general overview of the line (red) and possible connections for the future (yellow):

Last edited by E2rdEm; April 5th, 2008 at 03:28 PM.
E2rdEm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:49 PM   #29
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4731

Quote:
Originally Posted by E2rdEm View Post
Seems like the red variant is more likely to be built.
Red variant is more interresting: some people want to tavel between Wroclaw and Poznan ! What about a Warsaw-Krakow line ?
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #30
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Warsaw-Krakow would be necessary. I think it is also important to connect Berlin, so there can be a direct fast connection between Germany and Poland.
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM   #31
virgule82

E2rdEm:Thanks for the map and explanation, that's really helpful. I guess we'll see what happens, but Poland is really designed for HSR. It just makes an enormous amount of sense given the geography.
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #32
asahi

Likes (Received): 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
Red variant is more interresting: some people want to tavel between Wroclaw and Poznan ! What about a Warsaw-Krakow line ?
There is a line between Warsaw and Katowice which is designed for 250 km/h (it's said to be the first European line designed for such speed; needs some modernisation though) so it only needs to be extended to Cracow (there a plans to build a 200 km/h extension).
asahi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM   #33
Brice

Likes (Received): 168

Looks interesting but nothing for Cracow.
Brice no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #34
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 5

I believe there already is a high speed line between Warsaw and Krakow, called the CMK. However no high speed trains use it as yet.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #35
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 5551

Word is the French AGV could be the fav here *drool*:

Good to see them investing in proper full blown HSR and not some shitty tilt trains:

http://en.transport-expertise.org/in...oland-by-2020/

Polish Government recently announced that the country will have its first high-speed rail line by 2020. The announcement was made during a French-Polish conference about intercity and urban rail transport. Infrastructures Minister Cezary Grabarczyk declared that this first project would link the cities of Warsaw, Poznan, and Wroclaw (west of the country). A high-speed rail line between the capital city and both western cities could, in theory, cut journey times by more than half.

€8 billion project, around 500 kilometres of tracks
The proposal will be submitted to the whole Polish Government early 3Q 2008, in order to launch the feasability studies. The Infrastructures Ministry plans to finish the preliminary studies by 2010. The Government aims to begin construction by 2014 and complete it in 2019, to start operation by 2020.

The project is evaluated at €8 billion (€6 to €7 billion for construction, and €1 billion for rolling stock), and the proposed Y-shaped-corridor has a main branch from Warsaw to Lodz, and two distinct legs going to Poznan and Wroclaw, respectively at 330 kilometres and 345 kilometres from Warsaw. With 35 trainsets running on the tracks, Minister Grabarczyk expects the trips to last around 1h30 while they are presently around 5h30 and 3h00 ! Also, what the Polish Government wants, is to link the network to the European already efficient high-speed rail network.

Poland will be inviting bids for the rolling stock but Minister Grabarczyk definitely showed his preference for the new 360-kph-French Alstom AGV (entering service in Italy in 2011), even saying that “The AGV doesn’t seem to have any competition.”
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #36
Galls

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
Warsaw-Krakow would be necessary. I think it is also important to connect Berlin, so there can be a direct fast connection between Germany and Poland.
So many jokes I could make, so so so many.
Galls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:57 AM   #37
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

lol
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #38
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Q: How will you stop a Polish high speed train?

A: Tell the workers to stop pushing it.

And do you know who else wanted a fast connection from Berlin to Poland?

That same guy envisioned a railway system of 3.00 metre gauge. Pretty amazing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #39
Knuddel Knutsch

Likes (Received): 286

^

theres another link with better pictures of that 3m high speed rail http://www.reichsspurbahn.de/

but back to topic: I cant understand, why these polish politicians dont want any competition. The AGV doesnt have competitiors?

How about Velaro? (ICE-3, CHR-3, Velaro-Rus)
Acutally the AGV is a response to that system, as its EMU-architecture is superior to the classic TGV design.

And then thers also Bombardier and the Shinkansen-family....

But never mind...all i hope for is a fast, 250-300 kmh connection between Berlin and Warsaw, that would be great.
Old July 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #40
hans280

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuddel Knutsch View Post
I cant understand, why these polish politicians dont want any competition. The AGV doesnt have competitiors?

How about Velaro? (ICE-3, CHR-3, Velaro-Rus)
Acutally the AGV is a response to that system, as its EMU-architecture is superior to the classic TGV design.

And then thers also Bombardier and the Shinkansen-family.....
I think the statement you're quoting was made for political reasons: it was designed to tell Berlin (and, not least, Siemens) not to take Poland for granted. Don't worry... there'll be competition allright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuddel Knutsch View Post
But never mind...all i hope for is a fast, 250-300 kmh connection between Berlin and Warsaw, that would be great.
I don't think Germany will play ball. Poland, with its scarcity of modern railway lines, will find it politically easy (even if financially costly) to design a new system of HSLs almost as if the existing railway architecture didn't exist. But in Germany it has been notoriously difficult to conceive any new lines that in any way compromised the "well-earned rights" of 101 provincial towns. If I know those people, any upgraded connection between Berlin and Poznan will involve mostly "Ausbaustrecken" on the German side of the border, the usage of which will have to be fitted into the German "Taktverkehr" rather than give top priority to the cross-border connection - and no doubt with a slow passage through the centre of Frankfurt a.d. Oder and (yes, really!) "Pflichthalt" in this town.
hans280 no está en línea   Reply With Quote