daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers

KiwiScrapers Kia Kaha

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a Winter Olympics in the SI?
Yes - It would be good for NZ & OZ. 68 87.18%
No - A waste of time and money. 10 12.82%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

NZ | 2018/2022 Winter Olympic's Bid | Proposed

2018 Winter Olympic bid

"Queenstown, New Zealand, is believed to be considering a bid for either the 2018 or 2022 Winter Olympics. Queenstown is referred to as the adventure capital of the world due to large number of adventure tourism activities on offer. Queenstown is also home to the largest ski fields in Oceania. Furthermore the resort town is undergoing huge redevelopment which will add another 12,000 to the population. Christchurch is also a possible New Zealand candidate city. Factors in its favour are its large population and expertise."

(also more reliable and greater snowfall and NZ's only Olympic grade ski field)

What would Queenstown do with all the venues after the events? Surely it's mighty 18,000 strong population wouldn't make them viable and they would most likely be built in CHC anyway. But I thought the idea of a Christchurch bid was to use Queenstown if we needed them, not the other way round?

Maybe the change of council will see some proactive thinkers and planners in all the right places and will help Christchurch get its ass into gear!

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 10th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Davee
A Christchurch Son

Likes (Received): 11

Thanks to Cartel for finding and posting this - I think it deserves it's own thread and poll

"Fide Condita, Fructu Beata, Spe Fortis"
"Founded in Faith, Rich in the Fruits of the Earth and Her Industry, Bold is Her Claim on the Future"

The Garden City
Davee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #3
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Likes (Received): 0

Voted yes of of coarse but some questions.

The "Olympic grade ski field" - which one is this?

Maybe the post Olympics facilities would be better serviced from Christchurch, due to population. However ZQN does have a very large "transitory population" . I can just see the ice luge becoming a massive tourist attraction by it self .

And a massive indoor ICE rink! Wow, it would service the whole SI and most likely the whole country. ZQN's own Vector Arena anybody?

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #4
aucklandman
Ben

Fantastic! But lol only really one option in that poll

Auckland Motorways: www.aucklandmotorways.co.nz | www.traffic.aucklandmotorways.co.nz
aucklandman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #5
Marky Mark
Nana's Favourite !

Likes (Received): 10

Will be Fantanstic if the South Island gets this .....

Nana and Auntie Thelma have already working on new Designs for Willy Warmers ...they plan a new Retail outlet in Christchurch if it all goes ahead , an exciting new concept , one where the client is measured up first Clients would then be served Tea and Scones whilst the Willly Warmer is Knitted on the Spot

Marky Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #6
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1

Nice one Marky! haha
Cartel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #7
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Bid Book.

I has said before this is one of my ultimate dreams! Eh I guess one can only dream...

I have the full amateur Christchurch bid book for 2018 but it was created in 2005 - I think in part by some SSC members. Some interesting points....
--------------------------------------------------------------

Wellington --- New Zealand, July 12th 2005

To
Mr. JACQUES ROGGE
President of the International Olympic Committee

Mr. President,
I wish to express the Government of New Zealand’s support, as well as my own personal support, for Christchurch’s bid for the 2018 Olympic Winter Games. New Zealanders love sport, it has helped shaped our national identity and we are committed to sporting excellence. The Government of New Zealand has always been a major partner in the advancement of not just sport in NZ but the pacific region and the world. We have also been a major partner in the organization of sporting competitions, ensuring financial support and the delivery of government services. We will be proud to do the same for Christchurch in 2018. The Government of New Zealand is fully aware of the important responsibilities and obligation that will
accompany the great privilege of acting as host country for the 2018 Olympic winter games. We will fulfil these completely to ensure the success of the Games.

Sincerely,

Helen Clark --- Prime Mister of New Zealand.

Financing

Government Contribution

The New Zealand National Government, Wellington has agreed to provide the necessary financial backing for the completion of the necessary venues and related infrastructure for staging successful
games. All venue regions have declared that the planned sports facilities are available for the duration of the planned Olympic Winter Games. We have also received this agreement from The Christchurch City Council, Methven Council, Queenstown City Council, Canterbury District Council, Southern Lakes District Council, New Zealand Academy of Sport and Sports Destination Christchurch. Further, The New
Zealand Government and City Councils are currently negotiating a agreement to provide the
necessary support of the provisionary access to police, emergency services, National and Territorial
army, security and disaster recovery planning, immigration, medical and other related services that fall
under their jurisdiction. For the construction of new sports facilities, a joint financing program among
National, regional and municipal Councils and Sports Destination Christchurch will be established.

Revenue Potential

Sponsorship, Suppliers, National Sponsoring, Licensing US$150M
Philately, Merchandising, Donations and Lotteries US$80M
Ticket sales US$65M

-US$285M
Old May 11th, 2007, 09:46 AM   #8
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
Voted yes of of coarse but some questions.

The "Olympic grade ski field" - which one is this?
Mt Hutt & it's one of the few if not the only in the southern hemisphere I believe. Many Northern Hemispere olympic and related teams train there during their summer - and southern teams during our winter. It also hosts many national and internation competitions. Although Porters Heights would also be brought up to Olympic standard in the event of a bid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane007 View Post
Maybe the post Olympics facilities would be better serviced from Christchurch, due to population. However ZQN does have a very large "transitory population" . I can just see the ice luge becoming a massive tourist attraction by it self .

And a massive indoor ICE rink! Wow, it would service the whole SI and most likely the whole country. ZQN's own Vector Arena anybody?
Indeed, although Christchurch does need a larger ice venue as ice sports continue to grow here but in this case an ice racing venue would be built in Queenstown and a nordic skiing venue in Wanaka - with the rest in CHC. In the case of either city bidding it will essentialy be a South Island bid I think CHC would most likely have the title though as the majority of....stuff would be there.

Last edited by Cartel; May 11th, 2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #9
Allblackz

lol Yes the bid book was put together by myself for a internet fantasy bid competition. All

Even though I do dream that one day NZ might be in a potition to bid for the winter games, we have a long long way to go. The fact is currently we don't have enough clout in the winter sporting world to place a bid. Our winter athletes are no where near up to standard, nor are out facilities or infrastructure. If NZ started to invest in this winter sporting athltes now as well as bidding for more world championship on skiing/snowboarding circut we could start looking into bidding as early as 2018 onwards maybe.

I think an area like Queenstown has to potential to become as some what winter sporting mecca for the southern hemisphere. Many of the venues used for winter olympic sports dont not exist south of the equator so having these facilities here could meen big $$$ from holding international events. Also things like Bobsleigh tracks and ski jump towers would tie in perfectly with Queenstown's adventure capital image.
Allblackz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #10
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Potential candidates

2018 - XXIII Winter Olympic Games

(from various sources)

Krakow, Poland
Sofia/ Serbia, EU
Reno / Tahoe, USA
Denver, USA
Tromso, Norway
Annecy, France
Charmoix, France
Gap, France
Grenoble, France
Changchun, China
Christchurch, New Zealand
Queenstown, New Zealand
Old May 11th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #11
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

People, please note that the Winter Olympics have never been held in the southern hemisphere.

20 times now and never south of the equator. Is some kind of discrimination?

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #12
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 272

DEFINITELY YES. BUT......

NZ shouldnt underestimate what holding a Winter olympics entails. It's not just having a bit of snow on a mountain.
Developing the infrastructure would be at a scale and cost that NZ has never seen before. NZ has to start from scratch as far as facilities go (indoor and outdoor). Preparation for a Winter Olympics will have to start basically from year 0 as far as NZs wintersport infrastructure goes.

Funding? Hmmm. Who?
TV Rights? Forget it. It will take place in the middle of the northern hemisphere summer holidays. Don't expect huge TV audiences.

Venue. Should definitely be Queenstown. No other location will do.

Last edited by KIWIKAAS; May 11th, 2007 at 12:53 PM.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #13
KIWIKAAS

Possible Venue Map

Old May 11th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #14
KIWIKAAS

Oeps!
Forgot Bobslee and Luge. Lets put that next to 7. Up around Coronet Peak.
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #15
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
Funding? Hmmm. Who?
TV Rights? Forget it. It will take place in the middle of the northern hemisphere summer holidays. Don't expect huge TV audiences.
Didn't you read my previous post saying that central goverment had agreed to fund all venues etc...

Quote:
Venue. Should definitely be Queenstown. No other location will do.
What's wrong with Canterbury?
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #16
KIWIKAAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartel View Post
Didn't you read my previous post saying that central goverment had agreed to fund all venues etc...
Yes I did. I think the total bill incl general infrastructure will be around $1 billion though. Even that could be a bit conservative.

Quote:

What's wrong with Canterbury?
Nothing. But not for a winter olympics.
For a good Olympics you need an alpine location. Using CHC as the main location just aint going to show case NZ the way one would want it. I think using CHC would be a huge mistake and anyway, I dont think NZ would get the olympics awarded if they did. Queenstown/ Lakes District is the only real option.
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:18 PM   #17
Cartel
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Yes I did. I think the total bill incl general infrastructure will be around $1 billion though. Even that could be a bit conservative.
Even if it did go over that figure. If they are thinking of giving Auckland another $3 billion for a bridge I'm sure they could fork out a mere $1 billion for the south island to host the olympics.

Quote:
Nothing. But not for a winter olympics.
For a good Olympics you need an alpine location. Using CHC as the main location just aint going to show case NZ the way one would want it. I think using CHC would be a huge mistake and anyway, I dont think NZ would get the olympics awarded if they did. Queenstown/ Lakes District is the only real option.
Definetly see your point but strongly disagree. I don't see Queenstown able to pull it off for many reasons, even if it did grow another 12,000 people the stadia would just become big white elephants. CHC also has the advantage of an international airport and the infrastruture to accomidate a large influx of visitors. Everything could be done in Canterbury but most likely and what I would hope is that some events would be held around Queenstown anyway - so it would be showcased to the world.

Also remembering the areas immediatley west of CHC has heavier and more reliable snowfall.

Last edited by Cartel; May 11th, 2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #18
KIWIKAAS

Agreed that the Q'town / Lakes District population is on the low side but I have an idea about the venues.

1. Queenstown: Figureskating. Reason, Q'town is centre of activities, entertainment, nightlife. Figureskating fits into this perfectly. The venue: Rink with capacity for 7-9,000 spectators. Learning from leasons learnt from Sydney the tribune can be taken away after the Olympics leaving a smaller facility. The rink remains as a recreational facility. The venue can also be developed with entertainment and congress facilities.

2. Wanaka: Speedskating , Short Track. The venue: Fully covered, 400m long oval speedskating track, capacity 6,000 specators, short track rink, cap 500 specatators. After Olympics. Middle roof section removed to create open central area for football/ rugby/ hockey field. Speedskating track converted to athletics track. Tribunes reduced in size.

3. Cromwell: Ice Hockey. Indoor venue, Ice Hockey Rink with capacity for 8-10,000 spectators. After Olympics, retained as ice rink, tribunes broken down, entertainment, sports and congress facilities (like Q'town)....or convert to indoor sports/ fitness centre.

Airport
ZQN has a 1900m runway. Long enough for 767 / 787 flights from Australia. Connections to CHC and AKL gateways with 737 or 767/787 aircraft. = no problem.

WKA could also have its runway expanded to handle 737s.

ZQN 2 hours coach ride from Invercargill which could easily be expanded to handle one off wide body long haul charters (747,777 etc).

Last edited by KIWIKAAS; May 11th, 2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #19
KIWIKAAS

Example of venue conversion

Old May 11th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #20
Cartel
Registered Abuser

OK I probably should have made a stronger argument but yes, it is possible for a city 1/20 the size of CHC to host winter olympics. (though I still think Canterbury has more to offer both in urbanity and naturally - better snow, mountains etc) For 2014 (I don't think Sochi has a chance) given the situation in Russia. Salzburg & Pyeonchang are the only real candidates - the latter having a pop. of just 45k. And towns around the same size of Qtown have held the games before. Lillehammer 1994 has 25k & Albertville 1992? just 17. Basically I will be happy if either city puts foward a strong and realistic bid as it would benefit and promote the whole island but I'm backing CHC 100% as there's nothing I want more for the city than to host the winter olympics.