daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #2521
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

how is that 2+2 road shown in reality? is number of accidents over average or not? traffic there is not low
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #2522
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

On most maps it's shown 2x2, in fact it's 1X4
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #2523
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18768

The number of accidents is below average i think. Most of it is a straight plain road, without curves. There is also a couple of places with rediculous speed limits(60 or even 40) where there is constant police presence. Traffic there is not low but it is way too small compared to the one at A1 or A2.
Turnovec está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #2524
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
On most maps it's shown 2x2, in fact it's 1X4
1x4 means 4 lanes in one direction. it is 2x2 or 2+2
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #2525
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Not necessarily x-type. The first number gives the number of carriageways/roadways. If there is one roadway with 4 lanes, it's 1x4, but that can be either a one-way freeway of 4 lanes going in one direction, or an undivided highway with 2 lanes in each direction.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #2526
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singidunum View Post
Why there's no planned motorway between Bulgaria and Romania?
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #2527
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12039

In fact Pan-European Corridor IV will have to link Bulgaria and Romania by a motorway (and a railway) through the U/C bridge at Vidin/Calafat:

Basically, Bulgaria will have to build a motorway from Vidin to Sofia, while Romania will have to build a motorway from Timisoara to Craiova and further to Calafat. This is planned now, but I don't think it'll be built before 2020, if not later than that date.

Here's an interesting map of Bulgarian corridors:

On another line of thought, it is faster for Bulgarian cars to get to Western Europe through Serbia than through Romania for 2 reasons: shorter distance, straigt line, and longer motorway network (in Serbia). That's why Bulgaria is focusing on that connection.

Romania, on the other hand, does not prioritise Timisoara-Craiova branch of Corridor IV, because it has too many higher priorities, like the main branch of Corridor IV in Romania (Timisoara-Sibiu-Bucharest-Constanta) and Transilvania Motorway, respectivelly A1, A2 and A3, for which money is never enough (it's about 1,500 km of motorway ). When these 3 will be completed, probably in 2015, the government will start thinking about other motorways for which money will become available (maybe also from EU sources). For example, Timisoara - Craiova does not have any EU money allocated in this EU budget until 2013.

For those who do not know the location of the cities of Timisoara and Craiova, I'll post this map to see the exact motorway network:

Quote:

Orange - existing
Red - to be delivered this year
Pink - to be delivered next year
Blue - U/C this year (some section of the Transilvania Motorway in blue now may be delivered next year)
Green - U/C next year (hopefully all the featured sections)
Black - the planned motorway network.
Castles and Mansions in Romania

Last edited by Le Clerk; November 17th, 2009 at 08:10 PM.
Le Clerk está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #2528
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2534

Thank you for exhausting explanation. It will take some time until there will be motorway connection of Romania and Bulgaria, but maybe traffic density doesn't require it already.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #2529
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

The freight traffic is significant...after all it's a tranzit area in between Europe and the Middle East and Turkey ... the personal traffic is not that big. But the freight traffic will increase once the bridge over the Danube at Vidi-Calafat will be completed. I think both RO and BG should put it on railway though.
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #2530
Turnovec
-----------

Bulgaria's plans actually don't exclude the RO connections as well. But they are not considered in a motorway profile for now. Botevgrad-Vidin and Veliko Tarnovo-Ruse must be turned into a 2x2 expressways - that's the plan here. The first direction has already 2x2 stretches along the Botevgrad bypass, Mezdra-Vratsa and at the exits of Vratsa and Montana. Modernization of the existing two-band road in four-band road with length 31.5 km between Mezdra and Botevgrad on the way of E-79 and the Trans-European transport network was already scheduled for the previous year, but due to the corruption scandals and the EU funds freezing the project didn't kick off yet. Construction of first-class road with length 20.5 km with new projection between Dimovo-Bela-Rujinci on the way of E-79 and corridor IV was posponed for the same reasons too...

When Danube bridge II at vidin is finished we really need to think about turning the whole stretch Vidin-Botevgrad into a 2x2 expressway. It won't be hard as the terrain there is easy and most of the city bypasses along the road are already 2x2.

I saw Romanians did some good job along the Bucurest-Giurgu road - it's brand new 2x2 expressway all the way Let's hope that in the comming years Bulgaria will start investing some money in turning the Ruse-Veliko Tarnovo road into 2x2 as well. Then we will have a pretty nice well not motorway but 2x2 expressway connection. For now they are only developing plans for turning one short stretch, that currently goes through a very tough terrain between Veliko Tarnovo and Debelec into 2x2 expressway.
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #2531
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13130

I don't know all the roads in EU, but it seems that all other capitals are connected or connections are planned/under construction by motorways except Sofia na Bucharest.
Capt.Vimes está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #2532
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnovec View Post
Bulgaria's plans actually don't exclude the RO connections as well. But they are not considered in a motorway profile for now. Botevgrad-Vidin and Veliko Tarnovo-Ruse must be turned into a 2x2 expressways - that's the plan here. The first direction has already 2x2 stretches along the Botevgrad bypass, Mezdra-Vratsa and at the exits of Vratsa and Montana. Modernization of the existing two-band road in four-band road with length 31.5 km between Mezdra and Botevgrad on the way of E-79 and the Trans-European transport network was already scheduled for the previous year, but due to the corruption scandals and the EU funds freezing the project didn't kick off yet. Construction of first-class road with length 20.5 km with new projection between Dimovo-Bela-Rujinci on the way of E-79 and corridor IV was posponed for the same reasons too...
I think there is reason behind that because currently the personal and freight traffic between Romania and Bulgaria does not warrant a motorway. But that will change in the future (next 5-10 years).

Quote:
When Danube bridge II at vidin is finished we really need to think about turning the whole stretch Vidin-Botevgrad into a 2x2 expressway. It won't be hard as the terrain there is easy and most of the city bypasses along the road are already 2x2.
I really have no clue about plans on the Romanian aside, besides the motorway which wil not be available before 2017-2020.

Quote:
I saw Romanians did some good job along the Bucurest-Giurgu road - it's brand new 2x2 expressway all the way Let's hope that in the comming years Bulgaria will start investing some money in turning the Ruse-Veliko Tarnovo road into 2x2 as well. Then we will have a pretty nice well not motorway but 2x2 expressway connection. For now they are only developing plans for turning one short stretch, that currently goes through a very tough terrain between Veliko Tarnovo and Debelec into 2x2 expressway.
I think the 2x2 road in between Bucharest and Giurgiu and further to Ruse and Sofia is pretty much OK for the existing traffic. I know from the people who went to VT that the road through Bulgaria from Ruse is not that busy, so I really wonder if Bulgaria needs to invest in a motorway in that stretch now given the current priorities and the huge costs involved. The same is actually the case with Romania.
Old November 18th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #2533
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Vimes View Post
I don't know all the roads in EU, but it seems that all other capitals are connected or connections are planned/under construction by motorways except Sofia na Bucharest.
Again, there is no pressing need for a motorway between Bucharest and Sofia, from a traffic perspective. And when building a motorway, traffic is key.
Besides, I am sure a motorway will exist in the future, but it will have to be agreed with the EU for funding. Currently, there is no agreement and funding from the EU for such motorway.

If Bulgaria will build a 2x2 road in between Ruse and VT it will be more than enough to cover the traffic for the coming 10 years, IMO.

Of course, ideally, we should start building a motorway now, even if the traffic will follow in 5-10 years. But where's the money gonna come? Romania barelly affords to make payments for the motorway stretches funded also by EU (and its always on the verge of losing some EU funds because it doesn't contribute its own part in due time). I am sure Bulgaria doesn't have enough money either...

Last edited by Le Clerk; November 18th, 2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old November 18th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #2534
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Again, there is no pressing need for a motorway between Bucharest and Sofia, from a traffic perspective. And when building a motorway, traffic is key.
Besides, I am sure a motorway will exist in the future, but it will have to be agreed with the EU for funding. Currently, there is no agreement and funding from the EU for such motorway.

If Bulgaria will build a 2x2 road in between Ruse and VT it will be more than enough to cover the traffic for the coming 10 years, IMO.

Of course, ideally, we should start building a motorway now, even if the traffic will follow in 5-10 years. But where's the money gonna come? Romania barelly affords to make payments for the motorway stretches funded also by EU (and its always on the verge of losing some EU funds because it doesn't contribute its own part in due time). I am sure Bulgaria doesn't have enough money either...
I agree, that at the moment there is no need of a matorway connection between Sofia and Bucharest. But I'm confused that I haven't seen a suggestion about it anywhere, even a hint.

Anyway, personally for me the building of the motorways between Bucahrest and Arad and Oradea are more important as I don't see how I'll have to travel from Sofia to Bucharest, as I live in Varna! And the shortest way to Central and West Europe for me is through Roamnia
Capt.Vimes está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #2535
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Vimes View Post
I agree, that at the moment there is no need of a matorway connection between Sofia and Bucharest. But I'm confused that I haven't seen a suggestion about it anywhere, even a hint.

Anyway, personally for me the building of the motorways between Bucahrest and Arad and Oradea are more important as I don't see how I'll have to travel from Sofia to Bucharest, as I live in Varna! And the shortest way to Central and West Europe for me is through Roamnia
I think by 2013-2014 you'll be able to travel to CE and WE by 2 routes: A1/A2 or Transilvania Motorway (A3), and the shortest route will be through Ruse or Constanta.
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #2536
Turnovec
-----------

[E79] Vratsa - Mezdra

Old November 25th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #2537
Turnovec
-----------

Sofia ring road

The newest part near Simeonovo and Dragalevci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post

Near Mladost and Business Park Sofia

Quote:

Between A1 and A2 and further north

Quote:

Old November 25th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #2538
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

When will the other track by the business park be constructed?
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #2539
Turnovec
-----------

Quote:
Procurement procedures for Lot 2 of Trakia motorway started on November 12

The Trakia motorway is only 115km and three years away from completion.

The public procurement document for the public tenders of Lot 2 was set to start on November 12 2009, according to Rossen Plevneliev, Minister of Regional Development. The date had been earmarked specifically by the ministry, which, under the new GERB leadership, has entrusted itself with ensuring that all legal procedures would be ratified during the winter so that by spring 2010 the construction of the motorway could begin.

In the past four years, only 76km of the motorway had been completed. In the period 2005-2009, Lot 1 from Orizovo expanding to Stara Zagora, with a total length of about 40km, was opened for traffic and Lot 5 from Karnobat until Bourgas with a length of 36km had also been completed.

The current government under Prime Minister Boiko Borissov had vowed that it was imperative that the remaining three lots of the motorway be completed by the end of the Government's mandate. The sections still pending construction were Lot 2 Stara Zagora – Nova Zagora, Lot 3 Nova Zagora – Yambol and Lot 4 Yambol – Karnobat.

The length of motorway still pending construction was 115km, while the total length of the Trakia project is 360.1km, Stroitelstvo Gradut said.

Quote:
Construction on Hemus motorway to resume in two years time

Regional Development Minister Rossen Plevneliev

Construction on the Hemus Motorway would resume in two years, Regional Development Minister Rossen Plevneliev said in the northern Bulgarian city of Pleven, website investor.bg reported on December 8 2009.

Concession procedures are pending and will require about 18 months to two years, according to the Minister. This will be conducted with the collaboration of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, a task force consisting of "experts" as well as personnel from three other ministries. Once the procedures are completed, the construction company will be selected, Investor said.

"We need to allow time for the experts to conduct their work properly regarding the motorway's most appropriate route," Plevneliev was quoted as saying by the Bulgarian news agency (BTA).

"There is a prepared project regarding the actual route of the motorway, which needs to be updated and approved," he said.

Reportedly, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development is the "best possible partner for the moment", according to the Minister, because it will finance the project. The motorway section from Yablanitsa to Veliko Turnovo will allegedly be "prioritised", after which attention will shift to the segment from Veliko Turnovo to the riverside town of Rousse on the Romanian border. Less priority will be given to the section from Veliko Turnovo to Shoumen because the traffic towards Romania is much greater, Investor reported.

The Hemus Motorway A2 is poised to link Sofia with Bulgaria's largest city on the Black Sea, Varna, with an auxiliary motorway section spanning to Shoumen E772, and then from Shoumen to Yablanitsa E83 and, finally, from Yablanitsa to Sofia. The total length of the Hemus Motorway is 433km of which 151km have been completed.

Old December 14th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #2540
Turnovec
-----------

Some news that might be helpfull for the romanian forumers here

2 new stretches of reconstructed 1st class road were opened last week in Bulgaria.

Montana-Lom [81-II] length 41km. 8 bridges, 10 junctions. Price 6 mil EUR by the PHARE programm.

Pleven-Nikopol [II - 34] length 45 km. Price 12.5 mil EUR(4.5 by the PHARE transborder cooperation Bulgaria-Romania fund).

A new ferryboat link Nikopol-Turnu Magurele must start working very soon as well

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia