daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 4th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #2861
EEH
разбирач :))

Likes (Received): 8216

Quote:
Originally Posted by domogled View Post
Could you please tell me if you have any idea about a future plan for a motorway linking your cities Botevgrad and Vidin? I know that section is part of the fourth pan European transportation corridor-its southern branch. I'm asking you guys, because I took a glimpse on your map showing the actual and planed/future motorways of Bulgaria and saw all but none project of such kind in the foreseeable future. I think it is a natural question since our Bulgarian neighbors fought a long battle for the Vidin-Calafat bridge and managed in the end to convince the Romanian side to place the bridge there as it is a major link to Europe for our neighbors.
As I notice, it is easier for you to link Sofia with the Serbia -A1.
anticipated thanx
This is a very reasonable question.

The local traffic between Vidin and Botevgrad now is very low and the existing 1x1 road (in excellent shape, btw) is pretty enough. Even the trucks comming from the Lom port (you know there is a ferry there from the Romanian bank) on the Danube cannot contribute so much as a highway to be needed.

The completion of the Vidin-Calafat bridge will definitely increase the traffic through this corridor, but we don't know what the Romanians will do with their road infrastructutre there as we remember they are not willing to facilitate the traffic through that section of the country. Does Romania plan a highway from Calafat to the border with Hungary?

If not, passing through there will not be faster than passing through Serbia. Then why spending money for a highway Botevgrad-Vidin? If we want to make the pass through Romania a real alternative to the route through Serbia, both Romania and Bulgaria should sit, talk, make decisions and realize the highway projects in both countries. I haven't heard of any such talks to have taken place, not to mention about decisions made.
EEH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #2862
domogled
black metal teacher

Likes (Received): 1

Thanks a lot EEH for your comprehensive reply and observations. I do believe as well in a high traffic increase in the bridge's post completion phase.
As for the Romanian side's plans for the southern branch of the iv-th pan European corridor, I heard rumors about a motorway named A7. The starting point of it seems to be planed north west of Lugoj, dividing the iv-th corridor in its two branches. Its southern one, The hypothetical A7 motorway should stretch along towards Caransebes then passing the Timis-Cerna corridor and bypass Orsova and my hometown Drobeta Turnu Severin soewhere 20-30 kms in the north, and then going to Craiova and ultimately ending in Calafat-Vidin bridge. Also I heard that another possible version would be that after passing Drobeta Turnu Severin A7 should go south directly to Calafat from a junction point placed somewhere in between Drobeta Turnu Severin and Craiova. As I mention, all those are just rumours, yet I heard that starting with 2013 the UE will focus on this southern branch as it was genuinely supposed to be the first one to be built and financed and not the norhtern branch (romanian A1 with all its sections towards Constanta) which is now under heavy construction.
I just thought that maybe you guys have any idea about plans on your side
To be honest I do not expect anything in the way you suggested form our authorities as it seems they have different opinions on which regions deserves to be linked by motorways. I think they had/have strong benefits from other sections of the northern branch altogether with the other motorway naming here A3 which is placed basically in the same region.
So, to conclude, unless U.E. won't push our governors (Romanian) to do something for the above mentioned A7, I am nothing but skeptical in relying my confidence on our authorities.
I believe the bridge, will stir and darken the waters enough to push them in the right direction and the increased traffic ratio will add more pressure

Last edited by domogled; September 4th, 2010 at 03:56 PM.
domogled no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #2863
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
I believe the bridge, will stir and darken the waters enough to push them in the right direction and the increased traffic ratio will add more pressure
The bridge would be a strong argument for some to chose the southern branch of Corridor IV, but I believe most of the traffic crossing today through Romania will continue to use its northern branch if our country will (finally) complete A1 motorway, or at least some important stretches of it. This is still questionable though. However, it will be pity to see a fantastic achievement as the Danube Bridge II standing isolated in the middle of a very good, but only 1x1 road on both Romanian and Bulgarian banks of Danube.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #2864
waddler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Exactly, a motorway is pretty much needed on both sides for this to work.
waddler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #2865
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Likes (Received): 39

There will be in RO a motorway on The Pan-European Cooridor IV SOUTH BRANCH connecting Lugoj/A1 to Caransebes, Severin, Craiova and finally Calafat.

Probably we will be asking for EU funding starting 2013.

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
ionut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #2866
waddler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Just asking, when do you think it'll be finished? Including the Bulgarian side because it is AS important for this bridge. I'd go for a 2016 - 2020 Awesome.. I hope I won't die till then
waddler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #2867
ionut
Reaching for the stars

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddler View Post
Just asking, when do you think it'll be finished? Including the Bulgarian side because it is AS important for this bridge. I'd go for a 2016 - 2020 Awesome.. I hope I won't die till then
Well, the new EU financing cycle will start in 2013. If we presume that RO will ask for financing for the Lugoj-Severin-Craiova-Calafat motorway (Corridor IV-South), than it will take a few years to acquire the financing, to make the feasibility study and stuff. Then the tendering (minimum 1 year). Then the construction itself (around 2 years for every segment Lugoj-Caransebes, Caransebes-Severin, Severin-Craiova, Craiova-Calafat).

If the construction will start on all the segments in the same time... altough I cannot see how this can be done (RO gov will need to co-finance the construction AND to finance utilities works and expropriations)... let's say 3 years.

So... 2013+2+1+2=2018 the finished Corridor (Lugoj-Calafat, via Craiova). This is by far the most ambitious deadline... probably around 2025 is more likely. My 2 cents.

As a sign of appreciation and respect for the Romanian moderators and a few Romanian users, I will not edit all my 4100+ messages. I dedicate all the "work" I've done with passion on SSC to these handful of users. I will only continue to read SSC and be available for these users on PM. Thank you.
ionut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #2868
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

why does noone at least comment my Ljulin motorway photos, I understand that noone has sence for humour here, but noone even comments the pictures of the Ljulin motorway, which is a shame.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #2869
koynov

Likes (Received): 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
why does noone at least comment my Ljulin motorway photos, I understand that noone has sence for humour here, but noone even comments the pictures of the Ljulin motorway, which is a shame.
Because Radi , there are a lot of Lulin motorway photos before yours. In bulgarian section there are new photos which present full lenght from the motorway.
koynov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:12 PM   #2870
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by koynov View Post
Because Radi , there are a lot of Lulin motorway photos before yours. In bulgarian section there are new photos which present full lenght from the motorway.
I know, but there are no photos that show this perspective at the Bulgarian motorways thread. On my pics the pgrogress of the Daskalovo junction can be seen very well, also where the new motorway will connect to the Struma motorway
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #2871
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18768

Quote:
Could you please tell me if you have any idea about a future plan for a motorway linking your cities Botevgrad and Vidin? I know that section is part of the fourth pan European transportation corridor-its southern branch. I'm asking you guys, because I took a glimpse on your map showing the actual and planed/future motorways of Bulgaria and saw all but none project of such kind in the foreseeable future. I think it is a natural question since our Bulgarian neighbors fought a long battle for the Vidin-Calafat bridge and managed in the end to convince the Romanian side to place the bridge there as it is a major link to Europe for our neighbors.
As I notice, it is easier for you to link Sofia with the Serbia -A1.
anticipated thanx
This fall, as the governemnt announced the tender for construction of the 2x2 express way Botevgrad-Mezdra(Mezdra-Vratsa is already 2x2 along with the Botevgrad bypass) will finally start.

You can see more in the site fo Operative program Transport -> http://optrans********/en/page.php?c=...za+-+Botevgrad

All in all the governemnt plans a 2x2 expressway expansion for the Botevgrad-Vidin road and not a full profile motorway.

Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #2872
domogled
black metal teacher

Thanx Turnovec for info, link and especially for the map
As my country mates came with their updates (tnx guys) it seems that in the following years after 2013 we'll have a motorway and you will have an expressway with the Danube 2 bridge in the middle
To be honest I really thought the Danube2 is of a greater importance for you than it seems it will be for us, after all as I heard the main contributor for bridge's construction apart of the UE is the Bulgarian government.
I presume that for you now, a more important link to the west o Europe and north might go through the Serbian existent and upcoming motorway network.
Anyway, time will tell and traffic values will speak that's for sure. I eagerly wait to see the bridge done .
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #2873
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut View Post
Well, the new EU financing cycle will start in 2013. If we presume that RO will ask for financing for the Lugoj-Severin-Craiova-Calafat motorway (Corridor IV-South).
We'll have to ask for financing for that and the EU will it push through out throat, because it's part of Corridor IV. Same goes for A5, which will also come for financing starting 2013, as part of Corridor IX.

Quote:
So... 2013+2+1+2=2018 the finished Corridor (Lugoj-Calafat, via Craiova). This is by far the most ambitious deadline... probably around 2025 is more likely. My 2 cents.
I think you are extending the deadlines too much. The EU money will have to be spent by 2020, 2021 at most, so that's your deadline. The Lugoj-Calafat section is much shorter that the Northern section of C IV anyway.

But, to turn back to the discussion, IMO a lot of traffic will turn to the existing roads which have been rehabilitated recently for the entire section in between Timisoara and Calafat AFAIK. Just look how much international traffic takes currently the existing road on C IV (North Branch). So the bridge will change IMO the transport patterns in Romania and in Bulgaria.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #2874
EEH

Quote:
Thanx Turnovec for info, link and especially for the map
As my country mates came with their updates (tnx guys) it seems that in the following years after 2013 we'll have a motorway and you will have an expressway with the Danube 2 bridge in the middle
To be honest I really thought the Danube2 is of a greater importance for you than it seems it will be for us, after all as I heard the main contributor for bridge's construction apart of the UE is the Bulgarian government.
I presume that for you now, a more important link to the west o Europe and north might go through the Serbian existent and upcoming motorway network.
Anyway, time will tell and traffic values will speak that's for sure. I eagerly wait to see the bridge done .
The Danube bridge at Vidin-Calafat was a very necessary alternative for Bulgaria due to the problems in Serbia in the 1990-s and some years after 2000. Now the situation has changed and passing through Serbia is quite easy and fast. We don't even need international passports but ID cards only. This is the reason Bulgaria is not giving much priority to the infrastructure leading there. As I said, the 1x1 road is in excellent condition and any further improvement (2x2 or more) is not urgent.

Botevgrad-Vidin road
http://commondatastorage.googleapis....l/28457074.jpg
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
But, to turn back to the discussion, IMO a lot of traffic will turn to the existing roads which have been rehabilitated recently for the entire section in between Timisoara and Calafat AFAIK. Just look how much international traffic takes currently the existing road on C IV (North Branch). So the bridge will change IMO the transport patterns in Romania and in Bulgaria.
This is what I hope too.

Last edited by EEH; September 7th, 2010 at 04:39 AM.
Old September 7th, 2010, 05:31 AM   #2875
domogled
black metal teacher

I see neither we don"t need any passports or visas for Serbia, yet I think the merchandise/freight in transit will look for the shortest and safest routes available and still Serbia is a not UE member, not that it might be of a major obstacle in their infrastructure development.
I understand that the route through Serbia suits you best now. We'll see if the Serbians will have the funds and the need (that's something I bet they have ) to build motorways to suit the best expectetionsof yours, theirs and perhaps the ones in transit south and southeast. As for the ones coming from the south or east of you, they might have to choose which will suit them best.
Yet I believe that in post completion phase of the Danube's second bridge and with supposedly increased traffic values an upgrade to the existing 1x1 would be required. After all, the section in between Varna and Botevgrad is placed on an European corridor and it would be such a pity not to ask UE for funds on that particular corridor as (we) your neighbours in the north might eventually do it

Our planned/rumored A7 links at its supposed end Craiova to Calafat due to the position of the latter on that IV corridor, and its nearness to the bridge but thinking solely from our interest/point of view I doubt a motorway section in between Calafat and Craiova would be of a major economical interest if it will prove to be of a lesser one from your behalf and the traffic from south of bridge will be poor.
Anyway as I said, I'm eager to see the bridge done and the routes the freight carriers will choose to follow.
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #2876
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
I see neither we don"t need any passports or visas for Serbia, yet I think the merchandise/freight in transit will look for the shortest and safest routes available and still Serbia is a not UE member, not that it might be of a major obstacle in their infrastructure development.
I understand that the route through Serbia suits you best now. We'll see if the Serbians will have the funds and the need (that's something I bet they have ) to build motorways to suit the best expectetionsof yours, theirs and perhaps the ones in transit south and southeast. As for the ones coming from the south or east of you, they might have to choose which will suit them best.
Yet I believe that in post completion phase of the Danube's second bridge and with supposedly increased traffic values an upgrade to the existing 1x1 would be required. After all, the section in between Varna and Botevgrad is placed on an European corridor and it would be such a pity not to ask UE for funds on that particular corridor as (we) your neighbours in the north might eventually do it

Our planned/rumored A7 links at its supposed end Craiova to Calafat due to the position of the latter on that IV corridor, and its nearness to the bridge but thinking solely from our interest/point of view I doubt a motorway section in between Calafat and Craiova would be of a major economical interest if it will prove to be of a lesser one from your behalf and the traffic from south of bridge will be poor.
Anyway as I said, I'm eager to see the bridge done and the routes the freight carriers will choose to follow.
It's hard to find places in Bulgaria or any other country from where it will be easier to go to Central or Western Europe through Calafat-Vidin. Maybe only the region around Vidin. For the ones situated near Sofia-Svilengrad corridor, as for the ones that live south of it, the route through Serbia is much more convenient. For the ones that live around Varna-Shumen-Ruse axis, the route through Ruse-Giurgiu-Bucharest-northern branch of CIV is the best. For the turks, the route through Egnatia motorway (Greece) seems the best, and the second choice is the route through Serbia. So I think the Vidin-Calafat bridge is only of regional importance, serving just 2-3 counties in Romania and 2-3 counties in Bulgaria. It may also serve traffic from Bucharest-Craiova to Central Serbia or Montenegro, but that's a mainly seasonal touristic flow.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2877
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I think you have to consider the Vidin-Calafat Bridge will also be used by east-west traffic. There are plans for a motorway in Serbia from E75 to the Bulgarian border near Vidin. All in all, it would create a nice corridor between Beograd and București, especially considering the accession of Serbia into the European Union may not be that far away. (could've been earlier if it wasn't for the stupid Dutch government).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #2878
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think you have to consider the Vidin-Calafat Bridge will also be used by east-west traffic. There are plans for a motorway in Serbia from E75 to the Bulgarian border near Vidin. All in all, it would create a nice corridor between Beograd and București, especially considering the accession of Serbia into the European Union may not be that far away. (could've been earlier if it wasn't for the stupid Dutch government).
I said it may serve mainly the east-west corridor from Bucharest to Belgrade, from an international point of view. This route is just 10km longer than the traditional one through Drobeta, and less curvy. I am a real supporter of the bridge as it's only the second one between Romania and Bulgaria and our Danube border stretches for several hundred km. I also support more bridges, for example an important one will be at Silistra-Calarasi and another one at Turnu-Magurele - Nikopol. This bridges are really very good for that regions.But my post was just a response for those who consider that the bridge will bring a large traffic increase on the roads Sofia-Vidin and Calafat-Drobeta-Timisoara.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #2879
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
But until Serbia joins the EU (which may take longer than you think - i t is a sad conclusion, but it is true) the transport operators will avoid Serbia. Because leaving the EU means border control, another TIR-carnette and other possible difficulties. This means that there is a high potential for this bridge if there was a good road on both sides.
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 02:25 PM   #2880
EEH

Well noted. Especially when Romania and Bulgaria join the Schengen Agreement (hopefully next year), passing through both countries via the Vidin-Calafat bridge will be even easier and faster.
There was also a proposal that both countries issue common vignettes so that when you cross the border you don't need to stop and buy a new one. If this happens next year, the traffic through the border will be completely facilitated.

On the other hand, when passing through Serbia, you have to stop three times to pay highway taxes. When combined with the 2 mandatory stops at the borders with Bulgaria and Hungary, this means 5 mandatory stops. During summer season when the Turkish gastarbaiters travel to and from Turkey, the jams at those stops may cost you half a day just waiting to continue.

Last edited by EEH; September 7th, 2010 at 02:31 PM.

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia