daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #3461
Tego
·!¦[· (17:50) ·]¦!

Likes (Received): 9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassini83 View Post
It's not about Bulgaria vs Romania or Bulgaria vs Macedonia. Just trying to make a point that despite having hundreds of kilometers of highways with hundreds more under construction and for the first time ever having a leadership that plays by the rules with all new tenders, somehow there's that negative view that Bulgaria is worse off than everyone else. A lack of self esteem that's completely unjustified in my opinion.
Well, you gotta understand Bulgarian mentality to know the reason for that lack of self esteem. Even I don't fully understand it, so you can imagine how hard it would be for a foreigner to do that. Take a look at this:

Quote:
Bulgarians "World's Unhappiest" People

Bulgarians are among world's unhappiest people, a survey carried out by British and Dutch scientists cited by the iblnews.com site shows.

The survey carried out in 112 countries in places Columbia, Switzerland and the Netherlands in the first places of the "happiness rank list." Spain, Greece and Italy are in the middle, while Bulgaria and Belarus are the unhappiest nations in the world.

Data from the different surveys prove that though Bangladesh's people are the poorest nation in the world they are the happiest people in the world. Almost 100% of the asked Bangladeshi people say that they feel happy despite the fact that most of them live beyond the poverty threshold.
Source: http://www.novinite.com

We have highways that look like that:

...but also like that:

However, not like that:

And then again we're the biggest whiners on earth and that is reflected among many Bulgarian forumers here on SSC. I have my own partial explanation for that, but it's neither the place, nor the time to discuss it. I believe though that this mentality is one of the major reasons we haven't been as successful as others in many areas in our recent history.

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #3462
mediar
Digital.Creation

Likes (Received): 5336

I don't want to sound pessimistic, but the onliest difference between the first two photos is the condition of the asphalt. Everything else is equally bad:

Quote:
- липса на каквато и да е поддръжка на озеленяването и разстителността около магистралата и между платната;
- твърде много билборди;
- липса на шумизаглушителни стени ( освен на ам. Люлин );
- липса на светлоотразителни колчета;
- маркировката по нашите магистрали евтина, много пъти изтрита и с лоши светлоотразителни качества;
- пълна липса на по-hi-tech технологии по нашите магистрали - телефонни кабини; електронни табла; камери, следяши трафика; осветление на пътните табели;
- не е решен проблемът със заслепяването от отсрещното движение;

НЕ ИЗПОЛЗВАЙТЕ GOOGLE-СКИ САЙТОВЕ ЗА ХОСТИНГ НА СНИМКИ!!!
mediar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #3463
vycanismajoris

Likes (Received): 134

Beautiful patchwork.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediar View Post
Hemus motorway near Nevsha:

Photo by Тервел.
vycanismajoris no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #3464
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassini83 View Post
It's not about Bulgaria vs Romania or Bulgaria vs Macedonia. Just trying to make a point that despite having hundreds of kilometers of highways with hundreds more under construction and for the first time ever having a leadership that plays by the rules with all new tenders, somehow there's that negative view that Bulgaria is worse off than everyone else. A lack of self esteem that's completely unjustified in my opinion.
Did someone of you tried to read carefully my post? There was a discussion on the serbian thread about road network in the region and statistics and I just posted some calculations here in order not to be completely offtopic there. I am completely positive and optimistic about road/motorway development here.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #3465
MaxiGuide

Likes (Received): 165

I'd say the Shumen-Varna highway (where the patchwork is) is not that bad for driving. There's worse spots on Trakia highway for example.
And I think the roads in general are not that bad (there's some exceptions). Drivers though should get used to the fact that this is not Europe (not yet), roads go through villages, they have these tricky curves and slopes, and so on.
MaxiGuide no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #3466
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiGuide View Post
I'd say the Shumen-Varna highway (where the patchwork is) is not that bad for driving. There's worse spots on Trakia highway for example.
And I think the roads in general are not that bad (there's some exceptions). Drivers though should get used to the fact that this is not Europe (not yet), roads go through villages, they have these tricky curves and slopes, and so on.
At some parts it is more then europe. especially when the new struma motorway section will be constructed (passingin directly above the great E-79. So people drive on a new motorway with futuristic look and see the nationalroad with incredible markings and amazing asphalt under them.
Old June 13th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #3467
mec17

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG_ View Post
Hi, the section of road 55 between Gurkovo and Nova Zagora is not rehabilitated yet. There are ca. 20-25 km wich are even still with pavement, but the rest of the 55 is OK. However I would recommend either the route V.Tarnovo-Gabrovo-St.Zagora or V.Tarnovo-Gurkovo-Maglizh-St.Zagora and from there - on the road 5!
Thank you very much for the reply. Please tell me if the best route is the road 5: Stara Zagora - Haskovo - Harmanli - Greece border.
Thank you again, Edi
mec17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #3468
alwn

Likes (Received): 85

[QUOTE=cassini83;79295352]
Quote:
Let's make a comparison between Bulgaria and Romania:
Motorways:
Romania-372km
Bulgaria-463km
We have only 328 km in use not 372

Bucuresti- Pitesti; 95,5 km (part of A1)
Pitesti ring 13,5 (part of A1)
Bucuresti- Cernavoda (part of A2 Bucharest- Constanta) 151 km
Sibiu ring 17 km (part of A1)
Campia Turzii- Cluj/Gilau (part of A3 Transylvania motorway) 52 km

u/c 284 km

Bucuresti- Ploiesti 70 km (part of A3)
Cernavoda - Constanta 52 km (part of A2)
Constanta ring 22 km
Arad- Timisoara 32 km (part of A1)
Arad ring 12 km (part of A1)
Orastie- Deva 32 km (part of A1)
Oradea/ Bors- Suplacu 64 km (part of A3 Transylvania)
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #3469
cassini83

Likes (Received): 1083

I used wikipedia as a source. Unfortunately some people tend to exaggerate what's been built for a reason that's beyond me I've fixed similar issues in the articles for some Bulgarian highways as well. Anyway... thanks for the correction Hopefully the U/C sections will be completed on time. The whole region needs a more robust highway network.
cassini83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #3470
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

All road projects in Bulgaria(construction&rebuilding):
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #3471
cassini83

Rebuilding 3093km out of roughly 19000km total national road network is truly impressive. If they can keep up the good work, in 5-10 years Bulgaria will have a completely transformed infrastructure.
BTW is anyone aware of a similar map of the municipal roads? There's around 18000km of them if I'm not mistaken.
Old June 14th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #3472
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

A shame that the road to Kiustendil is not renewed, a big shame there, it is very important. Also, why don't they repave the old E-79 nationalroad from Blagoevgrad to Dupnica and at some place from Blagoevgrad to Kresna Gorge? The road is getting worse and worse.
Old June 16th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #3473
Ghincks
scraper

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vycanismajoris View Post
Beautiful patchwork.
Looks a bit like the M8 in Scotland
Ghincks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #3474
mediar
Digital.Creation

Trakia motorway:

Struma motorway:

Hemus Motorway:

Last edited by mediar; August 12th, 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #3475
cassini83

Great post! Stunningly beautiful!
Old June 16th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #3476
mediar
Digital.Creation

I want to point out that these photos aren't mine. I took them from pavelpronin.com at Panoramio. He has a great portfolio of great scenery photos of the bulgarian nature. Check it out!

Old June 16th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #3477
czerwony_bo_szybszy

Likes (Received): 2

a bit off topic question - does anybody know anything about a guarded parking in Svilengrad? I`ll be there in July and would like to visit Istanbul but rather don`t enter Turkey by car - we`re planning to take a bus and want to leave the car in a safe place in Bulgaria; thanks
by the way, what can you say about the route Ruse-Svilengrad and Svilengrad-MK border near Blagoevgrad?
czerwony_bo_szybszy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #3478
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by czerwony_bo_szybszy View Post
a bit off topic question - does anybody know anything about a guarded parking in Svilengrad? I`ll be there in July and would like to visit Istanbul but rather don`t enter Turkey by car - we`re planning to take a bus and want to leave the car in a safe place in Bulgaria; thanks
by the way, what can you say about the route Ruse-Svilengrad and Svilengrad-MK border near Blagoevgrad?
The road Ruse-Svilengrad is very good, excepting the part between Nova Zagora and Harmanli, where there are undergoing rehabilitation works. I don't know whether some sections are already finished or not. But if you want to go from Romania to Turkey, you can also transit Bulgaria through Ruse-Razgrad-Targovishte-Omurtag-Kotel-Yambol-Elhovo-Hamzabeyli border crossing. The road is quite good, excepting Yambol-Elhovo part, where there are some potholes.
From Svilengrad to Macedonia you can go either via Greece (motorway or expressway on almost the whole route) or use the following road: Svilengrad-Plovdiv-Pazardzhik-Velingrad-Bansko-Simitli-Blagoevgrad. Good road on most parts, but just 1+1 and quite crowded around Plovdiv and between Simitli and Blagoevgrad.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM   #3479
czerwony_bo_szybszy

Likes (Received): 2

thank you, it`s generally what I expected - the greek option seems interestnig, but is the A2 motorway still toll-free?
czerwony_bo_szybszy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #3480
Tego
·!¦[· (17:50) ·]¦!

Likes (Received): 9461

All highways in Bulgaria are toll-free. You are supposed to purchase a vignette, which is necessary for any intercity road and that replaces in a way the highway tolls you have in many other countries. I personally kind of like that since I find it really annoying to have to stop at toll booths every now and then.

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia