daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 05:58 PM   #3601
Durin

Likes (Received): 0

Hi all, great to see some real progress with the motorway construction programme under the current gov't! Great progress! Although not a big contributor to the forum, I've been following this thread with great joy.

Strumatism, shiny crash-barriers and and smooth-as-a-babys-face asphalt aside, I find that although under-dimensioned, national, country and city roads in Bulgaria seem quite well maintained - and that expecially compared to Romania, the Baltic countries and Poland up until a few years ago. Although motorway construction might have been halted by lack of funds and corruption scandals a significant deal of work and money must have gone in to maintaining current roads throughout the 90's and 2000's.

Bulgaria now seem to be in a great position going forward with large infrastructure investments.

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #3602
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

oldest motorway in Bulgaria

Which is the oldest motorway in Bulgaria?

The plans for A1 Sofia - Plovdiv are the oldest, starting in 1962, but apparently construction didn't start until 1975 and according to German wikipedia, it opened in 1985. According to the Bulgarian wikipedia it opened "in the 1990's".

However, this would make A4 older, as it opened in 1980 near Varna.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #3603
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

Answer:

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #3604
dia
ъхъ

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Which is the oldest motorway in Bulgaria?

The plans for A1 Sofia - Plovdiv are the oldest, starting in 1962, but apparently construction didn't start until 1975 and according to German wikipedia, it opened in 1985. According to the Bulgarian wikipedia it opened "in the 1990's".

However, this would make A4 older, as it opened in 1980 near Varna.
Bulgarian wikipedia says that the whole section from Sofia to Orizovo was under construction until the 90s, not that they have opened everything, the whole section, in those years . I guess google translate didn't represent correctly the phrase it's not perfectly written in Bulgarian either.
dia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #3605
ChrisZwolle
Road user

So I think that settles it. Sofia - Ihtiman opened in 1978, the first motorway of Bulgaria.
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #3606
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another question about the Bulgarian road numbering system.

Is it correct that not all numbers of second class highways are used? For instance I can't localize II/10 and II/18, and maybe more (haven't gotten further than II/19 yet).

Is there a list of current numbered highways in Bulgaria? Bulgarian wikipedia doesn't seem to have an article about it.
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #3607
LG_

Likes (Received): 179

Here you are:
http://im.cablebg.net/clients/srepp-04.htm
LG_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #3608
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Thanks! So II/18 is the Sofia Ring Road, in addition to I/1, I/6 and I/8 which also seem to run across the Ring Road. The eastern section must be quadrupleplexed
Old August 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM   #3609
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Are there plans for more bridges across the Danube between Romania and Bulgaria? I can think of several locations where a bridge would seem plausible;

* Vidin (under construction)
* Oryahovo
* Nikopol
* Svishtov
* Silistra

I think this section of the Danube is the most poorly bridged river of Europe, well, apart from the Volga perhaps.
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #3610
Viva_Bulgaria
Proud to be a Bulgarian

Likes (Received): 3925

There have been plans about bridges at Oryahovo and Silistra for years but for now there are generally empty talks and good intentions... As far as I have heard, there are more obstacles from Romanian side about these bridges.
Viva_Bulgaria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #3611
daniel LNC
PAOK FANS

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva_Bulgaria View Post
There have been plans about bridges at Oryahovo and Silistra for years but for now there are generally empty talks and good intentions... As far as I have heard, there are more obstacles from Romanian side about these bridges.
why are you so sure the fault lies with the Romanian authorities, you can drill?
daniel LNC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:08 PM   #3612
Viva_Bulgaria
Proud to be a Bulgarian

I said I have heard (obviously from our media) that there are more problems coming from there. Which does not mean that there are no obstacles from here too. Both sides are actually doing nothing about that.
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM   #3613
daniel LNC
PAOK FANS

Quote:
I said I have heard (obviously from our media) that there are more problems coming from there. Which does not mean that there are no obstacles from here too. Both sides are actually doing nothing about that.
ok, unfortunately we lost both countries for such misunderstandings
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #3614
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
It seems there are recent plans for two hydro-energy projects. Bulgaria's Economy Ministry has announced that in September 2011, the governments of Bulgaria and Romania are going to sign a Memorandum about these projects. However I don't think our countries will find the money to do it. Maybe using some European funds, but previous experience with Danube Bridge II will probably made EU reluctant.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #3615
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
However I don't think our countries will find the money to do it. Maybe using some European funds, but previous experience with Danube Bridge II will probably made EU reluctant.
What happened there?
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:05 PM   #3616
Viva_Bulgaria
Proud to be a Bulgarian

Quote:
It seems there are recent plans for two hydro-energy projects. Bulgaria's Economy Ministry has announced that in September 2011, the governments of Bulgaria and Romania are going to sign a Memorandum about these projects. However I don't think our countries will find the money to do it. Maybe using some European funds, but previous experience with Danube Bridge II will probably made EU reluctant.
In fact that is an old project, probably from the 70s... Although I don't think that Bulgaria and Romania signed any final agreement, a friend of mine from Belene has told me that there were some preliminary construction works in the area since before 1989.
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #3617
daniel LNC
PAOK FANS

Quote:
What happened there?
revolution, we want to put a new bridge over the Danube
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #3618
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
What happened there?
The construction is way, way behind schedule. The EU was forced to extend two times so far the validity of ISPA grant (pre-accession funds). There is an article on Wikipedia written by me, but unfortunately only in Romanian. Maybe using Google Translate...
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #3619
neaguionutu

Likes (Received): 105

oftopic :
For Bulgaria, which is the best map for IGO 8: TOPMAP Q1.2011, NAVTEQ 2011.Q1 or TeleAtlas 2010.Q4?
I'm interested in the map that have the best coverage and the latest roads and highways?
Thanks!
neaguionutu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3620
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectom View Post
sorry to ask possibly inappropriate question here, but can anyone give me link with photo report or tell me in a sentence or two, about the road between Sofia and Vidin? I am planing to drive it possibly this weekend, but on a chopper bike, so it would be nice if the road is more or less decent for a hardtail motorbike as this.

I presume that the road is decent enough and nature beautiful as well, but is there anything I should know more? I see on google maps that there are two possible roads from Sofia up there, one via Svoge and another via Berkovitza, which one would be nicer in terms of tarmac, and nature/traffic frequency?

How does this Svoge - Buchin Prohod - Godech - Kalotina road look like? Anyone went there recently? Cos I might cut it there without detouring to Sofia (I'm departuring/arriving in Nish, Serbia).

many thanks!!!!!

Sofia-Kostinbrod-/Godech/-Berkovitsa-Montana
or the Petrohan passage or simply II-81 is quite in bad state.

The shortcut you are planning to take and maybe a few small stretches between Montana and Vidin may be a bit deteriorated also.

Quote:
Those projects won't happen. The one near Silistra has some real issues with soils and underground waters and a strong opposition in the city. You can ask for details in Silistra's thread.

And about the one near Nikopol I've heard that some parts of the city would be flooded if the project happens so it's highly doubtful as well.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia