daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #3661
mediar
Digital.Creation

Likes (Received): 5336

Part 5:

This is where the motorway ends.

And this is already the old road towards Varna.

НЕ ИЗПОЛЗВАЙТЕ GOOGLE-СКИ САЙТОВЕ ЗА ХОСТИНГ НА СНИМКИ!!!
mediar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3662
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediar View Post

I don't know what do you think, but in my opinion, this photo is extraordinary. In this area Hemus motorway has pretty identical view to the croatian A1 near Split - everything is so tidy and clean, something so unlikely for a normal bulgarian motorway.
too much grass for Split it's more like around Gospić. but that section looks really good, true

interesting how there is signed end of motorway through that tunnel and across those viaducts. these are 2 large viaducts seen at the most famous photos of Hemus, right?
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #3663
mediar
Digital.Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
too much grass for Split it's more like around Gospić. but that section looks really good, true

interesting how there is signed end of motorway through that tunnel and across those viaducts. these are 2 large viaducts seen at the most famous photos of Hemus, right?
No, the most popular viaduct at this motorway is the Bebresh viaduct, which is 120m height and he is the one that usually takes place on the photos. He is located right here - http://wikimapia.org/#lat=42.8273396...9&z=16&l=0&m=b . The two viaducts that can be seen on my photos are situated around Pravets ( on the map - http://wikimapia.org/#lat=42.9249117...2&z=16&l=0&m=b ) and their highest point is 105m high. They, as well as that tunnel, aren't signed as motorway, because they don't have hard shoulders and the lanes there are only 3.50m wide each, instead the regular 3.75m for a motoway.

Other photos of the same viaducts:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/9443971

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/48199820

Last edited by mediar; September 5th, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old September 6th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #3664
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

I think the viaduct closer to the tunnel is called Vitinya viaduct and is the second tallest after Bebresh.

Btw, I love Hemus[A2]-it always makes me feel like I am traveling through Amazonka's rainforest jungles despite we have a rather dry continental climate.

Trakya motorway[A1] enters Sofia at nightfall. From atop of this hill begins/ends the only 2x3 motorway stretch in Bulgaria.

Last edited by PhirgataZFs1694; September 6th, 2011 at 05:27 PM.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #3665
mediar
Digital.Creation

Hemus motorway
Shumen - Varna
29 August 2011

Part 1:

The beginning of the second part of Hemus motorway near Shumen.

I don't think it's something normal the asphalt to be in such a bad condition, especially when this stretch was opened only six years ago...

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #3666
mediar
Digital.Creation

Part 2:

The motorway is getting from bad to worse.

And this is the worst part of the entire Hemus motorway. This is a 13km long stretch, situated between Kaspichan and Nevsha, which has a plethora of pot-holes, patches and unevennesses.

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #3667
mediar
Digital.Creation

Part 3:

Beautiful patchwork.

I have always wondered why in this section, despite the bad asphalt and guardrails, the grass is always, and has always been good maintained and perfectly cut, unlike the overgrowth on the rest of your motorway network. And yes, the Lada in front of us is a police car.

Well, not everything is lost - there are still a few places, where the asphalt is still in relatively good condition and you can speed up a little bit.

"Nevsha" intersection.

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #3668
mediar
Digital.Creation

Part 4:

And, as you can see, the forest in the middle of the motorway is really well maintained and it doesn't take not a single millimeter of the roadway at all...

The emergency runway near Provadia.

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #3669
mediar
Digital.Creation

Part 5:

Unfortunately I haven't taken a closer shot of the giant tree in the distance so you can see how it has bended over the roadway.

The viaduct near Devnja is still in the same deplorable state as before.

"Devnja" intersection.

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #3670
mediar
Digital.Creation

Part 6:

And finally entering Varna.

Old September 7th, 2011, 11:04 PM   #3671
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Wonderful photo report as always
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #3672
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18768

Quote:
at some tunnels we also had similar situation like you in BG. but few accidents where the cars hit the edge of the tunnel in high speed changed the situation and showed that shit can actually happen.
From my experience, there are no policemen controling the traffic on Croatian motorways. Or at least there wasn't such a couple of years ago when i traveled the Split-Zagreb motorway, where you have tunnels. My local friend also told me that we can drive with whatever speed we want as there are no places where we could be stopped by police. Maybe nowadays you have video control or whatever else, or you have traffic police operating on your motorways, i don't know.... In Bulgaria on the other hand Police are present at many places along the road, especilly before/after motorway tunnels. Those are their "feeding points" - places where they collect their sallary, if you know what i mean So most people tend to keep the 80km/h. speed limit before they enter or exit a given tunnel so they won't be forced to pay a ticket or a bribe to the policemen who are regulars on those places. However kleber is right that there shouldn't be poles without crashbarriers and such gaps before tunnels.
Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #3673
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnovec View Post
From my experience, there are no policemen controling the traffic on Croatian motorways. Or at least there wasn't such a couple of years ago when i traveled the Split-Zagreb motorway, where you have tunnels. My local friend also told me that we can drive with whatever speed we want as there are no places where we could be stopped by police. Maybe nowadays you have video control or whatever else, or you have traffic police operating on your motorways, i don't know.... In Bulgaria on the other hand Police are present at many places along the road, especilly before/after motorway tunnels. Those are their "feeding points" - places where they collect their sallary, if you know what i mean So most people tend to keep the 80km/h. speed limit before they enter or exit a given tunnel so they won't be forced to pay a ticket or a bribe to the policemen who are regulars on those places. However kleber is right that there shouldn't be poles without crashbarriers and such gaps before tunnels.
you will really rarely find police in police marked cars at HR motorways.
on the other hand, there is plenty of them in police unmarked cars, like this one. when they catch you, then it is not good. and there is really plenty of them in various cars.
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #3674
Djurizmo
Citizen of Europe

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Part 3:"Nevsha" intersection.

Green exit sign?
Djurizmo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 09:48 AM   #3675
mediar
Digital.Creation

In Bulgaria, the background color of the exit sign doesn't matter. Neither the number of the arrows. Other examples:

All of these photos are from Trakia motorway [ A1 ].

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #3676
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
In Bulgaria, the background color of the exit sign doesn't matter.
actually it does. the sign with capital letters with Burgas, Istanbul and Svilengrad is old. other signs which you have shown are new, and on new signs colour does matter. and it is quite logical: sign for Stara Zagora and Chirpan is whole blue because it is normal exit, as soon as you exit the motorway, you are on ntional road. the sign wher is only Chirpan indicated has green background because there is one piece of motorway built leading to Chirpan. so, when you exit A1 in direction Chirpan, you are still on motorway which soon ends and you continue on national road to Chirpan. it is very logical.
Old September 10th, 2011, 08:17 PM   #3677
mediar
Digital.Creation

Quote:
the sign wher is only Chirpan indicated has green background because there is one piece of motorway built leading to Chirpan. so, when you exit A1 in direction Chirpan, you are still on motorway which soon ends and you continue on national road to Chirpan. it is very logical.
I like your logic, and I wish you were right. But the second sign is situated on this intersection - http://wikimapia.org/#lat=42.2080255...4&z=17&l=0&m=b , instead of the previous one, which is the beginning of Maritsa motorway.

Old September 10th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #3678
LG_

Likes (Received): 179

Mediar is right. Unfortunately it can't be found any logic in our motorway's signposting. There are also many mistakes with the E- numbering. The Trakia motorway on the same interchange - Chirpan, is numbered as E80 instead of E 773.
LG_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #3679
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
I like your logic, and I wish you were right. But the second sign is situated on this intersection - http://wikimapia.org/#lat=42.2080255...4&z=17&l=0&m=b , instead of the previous one, which is the beginning of Maritsa motorway.
i don't understand you.
is this one at the beginning of Marica motorway, so here? is not, then you are right and there is no logic.
Old September 10th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #3680
mediar
Digital.Creation

Yes, the intersection you're showing on the map is the beginning of Marica motorway. But, no, the second photo ( in my post #3675 ) is not taken on that one, but on the next intersection, which is formally known as Chirpan intersection ( it is the one I linked in Wikimapia ).

The location of the three photos is as follows:
First - http://wikimapia.org/#lat=42.2122054...6&z=17&l=0&m=b
Second - http://wikimapia.org/#lat=42.2080255...4&z=17&l=0&m=b
Third - http://wikimapia.org/#lat=42.2515042...7&z=16&l=0&m=b

EDIT: And to point it out - this is the beginning of Marica motorway - http://media.snimka.bg/8355/022964777-big.jpg

Last edited by mediar; September 11th, 2011 at 10:12 AM.

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia