daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #4301
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9150

New signage (again without road numbers) and new lighting on Daskalovo junction - ahead the viaduct on which A6 Struma turns into A5 Lyulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassini83 View Post
Ето и още две снимки. Първата е от южната част на пътен възел "Даскалово", а на втората в далечината се вижда АМ "Люлин". Като цяло останах с много добро впечатление и от двете магистрали с две малки забележки - пясъка в аварийните ленти и едно срутване на земна маса пак в аварийната лента.

Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #4302
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

And the pictures above were made by fellow forumer, who also posted an update of the construction of A6 Struma between Dupnitsa and Dolna Dikanya:

Quote:
Успях да избегна преваляванията и направих наколко снимки от Дупница до Долна Диканя. Правени са от движение и предварително се извинявам за качеството.

1. Малко след Дупница

2. Струпана техника. Като цяло видях малко активност но вече беше късно.

3. Първата отбивка. Според мен беше обозначена добре.

4. Изкопан хумусен слой.

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #4303
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

and few more
Quote:
...продължение...

12. Близо до края на участъкът

13. Краят
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #4304
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Signage standards really need to improve in some countries like Bulgaria (or Romania or Poland). I don't get why this has such a low priority, signs like the ones above are really primitive, even some African countries have better signage systems. It doesn't really cost all that much to design a decent new system, the main costs are the signs themselves, not the layout of them.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4305
Angulo

Likes (Received): 3657

Quote:
Signage standards really need to improve in some countries like Bulgaria (or Romania or Poland).
Why you missed Czech Republic or Slovakia? Signs in Poland are very big, readable and even shining at night.
Angulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #4306
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Polish motorway overhead signage is - excuse me - total crap. They could do much better than that, there aren't even design standards for 3-lane carriageways. If you think signage NEEDS TO BE SUPER BIG you're totally missing the point of directional signage design. Very few capitalized signage systems are readable like a non-capitalized system, the Czech system probably performing the best of them all. Capitalized letters are harder to distinguish than non-capitalized letters when moving at 100 or 130 km/h.

Just some comparison:

Bulgaria:

Czech Republic:
image hosted on flickr

R7-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Poland:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; May 16th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #4307
sallae2

Likes (Received): 1592

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

Capitalized letters are harder to distinguish than non-capitalized letters when moving at 100 or 130 km/h.
... and here is why ...

Quote:

In typography, an ascender is the portion of a minuscule letter in a Latin-derived alphabet that extends above the mean line of a font. That is, the part of a lower-case letter that is taller than the font's x-height.

Ascenders, together with descenders, increase the recognizability of words.
For this reason, British road signs no longer use all capital letters.

Studies made at the start of the construction of the British motorway network concluded that mixed-case letters were much easier to read than "all-caps" and a special font was designed for motorway signs. These then became universal across the U.K. See Road signs in the United Kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascender_(typography)

Quote:

a descender is the portion of a letter that extends below the baseline of a font. The line that descenders reach down to is known as the beard line.

In most fonts, descenders are reserved for lowercase characters such as g, j, q, p, y, and sometimes f.

Letters with ascender are: b, d, f, h, i, j, k, l, t
sallae2 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #4308
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Oh my god, the motorway is one year old and look at the waves of it, how can Bulgarians say this motorway is perfect. At least the new Struma motorway stretch is being build by Intalians, I have big trust they will build an impressive motorway, like the impressive Stretch Dupnica Kulata, which is done completely by Italian company Todini, except the few old stretches. That road is one of the best roads in Bulgaria, just after the E- 79 Dupnica - dolna Dykania and Struma motorway.
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4309
cassini83

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Signage standards really need to improve in some countries like Bulgaria (or Romania or Poland). I don't get why this has such a low priority, signs like the ones above are really primitive, even some African countries have better signage systems. It doesn't really cost all that much to design a decent new system, the main costs are the signs themselves, not the layout of them.
Not to understate what you're saying but frankly the road signs were the last thing I had to worry about on my trip today. In this day and age to go to a place you've never been before, without a GPS is just nuts. I've barely driven in Bulgaria or in Europe for that matter, but I have some 200000 km under my belt in the US so I'm looking at it from a foreign and somewhat impartial perspective. And still, I successfully navigated over 550 km of Bulgarian countryside without paying any attention to road signs. Again... I don't want to understate the need for a more unified approach to roadroad signs but hey, why stop in a single country? Why not have a unified road sign system across the EU. Having different standards in different countries is just silly. From a more practical point of view, fixing the potholes and resurfacing some roads that are in a deplorable state is much more important IMO. Also a few times I was driving at the speed limit (130 km/h) and got passed by cars doing 180-200. Here's another idea that's also cheap and will have quite a real impact. Put some cameras on all highway exits, have an OCR software read the license plates and check if their average speed was over the speed limit. If it was, then send the violators a ticket in the mail. I'm sure it's been done in quite a few places and it costs about the same or less than changing all the giant highway signs.
cassini83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:29 PM   #4310
cassini83

Radi, that picture was taken at almost 10x zoom at a low angle. I drove over it doing 130 km/h and didn't feel anything unusual. In fact I haven't event noticed the survace is not even until you pointed it out. Maybe it's just me but after driving on I-62 east of Dupnitsa and almost lost my fillings from the violent shaking and pothole-dodging, driving on Struma and Liulin felt like heaven. Both are in great shape. I-1 is in great shape as well but there's a lot of traffic for a 2-lane road. The rest of Struma can't come fast enough.
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #4311
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Ok, then it is a difference. I am happy you say the old roads are still in great shape aswell, it is very good the roads don't age fast. so the road east of Dpunica is still awful? It is about time to reapir it, it is in poor condition since 3 years.
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #4312
cassini83

Yes, it's still bad. Parts of it have been repaired but others are in a really bad condition.
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #4313
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

No section of A6 Struma is being built by Italians. LOT1 Dupnitsa-Dolna Dikanya is being built by Bulgarian company Glavbolgarstroy, LOT4 Sandanski-Kulata is being built by Greek company Aktor.
Old May 18th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #4314
ChrisZwolle
Road user

New western bypass of Svilengrad, including a cloverleaf with A3:
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #4315
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Yes, this road goes to Greece, A3 goes to Turkey

Here's an update by fellow forumer on construction of A6 Struma's LOT1 Dolna Dikanya-Dupnitsa:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7588 View Post
днес имах 2 свободни часа и нащраках малко снимки от Струма...enjoy:-)

началото

надлезът, по който ще минава пътя за Радомир, Струма е на ниво терен

част от пътния възел на същото съоръжение

погледнато от другата страна - посока София

първия разклон - АМ минава на прелез

поглед към трасето на Струма посока София

поглед посока Дупница

Е79 отгоре, А6 отдолу
On the last picture is the place Radi was too excited about - the place with the detour, the viaduct you can see is on the trace of E79, so when the bridge is completed, they will remove the detour and the E79 will go straight, over A6.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #4316
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Part 2. The second temporary detour of E79 follows. At this place E79 will go under A6.

Quote:

наближаваме язовира

втората отбивка, този път АМ отгоре на прелеза

тук АМ завива надясно и тръгва към Дяково

това са последните къщи в Дяково, АМ някак си трябва да мине между тях

както виждате има да се свалят два ската, и да се насипе тази долчинка

поглед от същото място, наобратно

още една от Дяково

последна оттам пак

вече се връщам, това го бях постнал преди малко
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #4317
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

And a photo report of A5 Lyulin. You can see that the first signage of the Daskalovo junction is somehow more complete, including some road numbers... Then you will see problems with landslides on the opened exactly a year ago A5.

Quote:

след монтажа на новото осветление на Даскалово, старите стълбове са си останали...

първото свлачище

същото

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #4318
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
On the last picture is the place Radi was too excited about - the place with the detour, the viaduct you can see is on the trace of E79, so when the bridge is completed, they will remove the detour and the E79 will go straight, over A6.
Very good, so both will be able to see the other road. People will see the smooth E-79 on Struma motorway and other way round. But we donÄt know if the new short passages will have the same smooth asphalt then the old ones. Maybe they will have shitty Ljulin motorway asphalt. Let's hope they will have Struma motorway asphalt.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #4319
Radish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilio View Post
No section of A6 Struma is being built by Italians. LOT1 Dupnitsa-Dolna Dikanya is being built by Bulgarian company Glavbolgarstroy, LOT4 Sandanski-Kulata is being built by Greek company Aktor.
I think you can't read or can't follow content of text very properly. It was mentioned that 3 companies are building the motorway, including one Italian company. It was stated in many reports. So for sure Italian company wil build the Struma motorway and by the way, Glavbulgarstroi is a very good company. The road Simitli Bansko is one of the smoothest roads in Bulgaria, so I have trust in them.

I don't like some parts of the future motorway are flooded now, hopefully that wont cause any damage, since it would delay the motorway construction.

I just hope so much this motorway wont get the same shitty asphalt as the Ljulin motorway, since the Ljulin motorway has such an awful asphalt, it is too soft and surely will get deformed when it is hot. But I guess this is the new standart of bulgarian motorways. If the struma motorway gets the same aspahlt as the poor Ljulin motorway it will be the end of this motorway being special. Hopefully they will finish fast, too see what they will do. since the Ljulin motorway is a peace of utter shite and will fall apart next winter for sure.

Last edited by Radish2; May 18th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old May 18th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #4320
Radish2

Hah, the metall stabilisation inside the concrete is rusting a lot, this wall looks like it is 20 years old. Anything done on the 6 year old Struma motorway looks like it was done a week ago.

Oh my god, after one year of use. On the struma motorway you would not have seen such a thing after one year of use, never.

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia