daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 26th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #4341
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

No news is good news, I presume.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #4342
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

This night my parents will infrom me. they went for vacation to Bulgaria. So they will see if the motorway has got some damage or not.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4343
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9161

There were news even the first morning hours after the quake - they said completely no damage to Lyulin motorway, which was closer to the epicenter and also more vulnerable because of the more complicated structures - viaducts and tunnels.
And in normally built, a motorway should not suffer any damage at such magnitudes, even at higher ones. So I don't see why to worry so much. As Chris said, no news is good news.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #4344
uNDiDo
Investor

Likes (Received): 81

The motorways are perfect, the old houses in some villages though are not so fine...
uNDiDo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #4345
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
This night my parents will infrom me. they went for vacation to Bulgaria. So they will see if the motorway has got some damage or not.
Does anyone have a Men in Black flashy thingy to flash at Radi? That way, we can erase his memory of Struma forever.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when thereīs snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of itīs best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #4346
bat_naso
the journey is the reward

Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassini83 View Post
Not to understate what you're saying but frankly the road signs were the last thing I had to worry about on my trip today. In this day and age to go to a place you've never been before, without a GPS is just nuts. I've barely driven in Bulgaria or in Europe for that matter, but I have some 200000 km under my belt in the US so I'm looking at it from a foreign and somewhat impartial perspective. And still, I successfully navigated over 550 km of Bulgarian countryside without paying any attention to road signs. Again... I don't want to understate the need for a more unified approach to roadroad signs but hey, why stop in a single country? Why not have a unified road sign system across the EU. Having different standards in different countries is just silly. From a more practical point of view, fixing the potholes and resurfacing some roads that are in a deplorable state is much more important IMO. Also a few times I was driving at the speed limit (130 km/h) and got passed by cars doing 180-200. Here's another idea that's also cheap and will have quite a real impact. Put some cameras on all highway exits, have an OCR software read the license plates and check if their average speed was over the speed limit. If it was, then send the violators a ticket in the mail. I'm sure it's been done in quite a few places and it costs about the same or less than changing all the giant highway signs.
Thank you for the insightful post! For us in Bulgaria, at this point, having a highway or a motorway is much more important than the road signs themselves. Resurfacing some of the older roads is another great point, and to be fair the current government has been busy doing just that. There are new secondary roads being refurbished all the time in order to make up for lost time by previous administrations (former communists, etc). Also, there has been an emphasis on adding cameras on key places where people are most likely to speed, and the results are promising.

Anyways, things are not all bad. By the end of next year Trakia should be finished, as well as Maritza and most of Struma. Who knows, maybe the new road from Svilengrad to Russe will also be underway???
bat_naso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #4347
bat_naso

pure nonsense - just regulate the distance between and from the road as well as sizes, etc. instead of banning billboards altogether! Another example of why EU is way behind US in terms of capitalism and private enterprise - the government gets involved in too many things.
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #4348
bat_naso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
Wow! Nice report and progress as well at the bridge. It looks like completion is possible this year.

BTW: asphalt is on in some pics.
do you think Romanians would use a new high speed road between Russe and Svilengrad to get to Turkey?
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #4349
bat_naso

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielstan View Post
Slavic population of Romania has Romanized as the Romanian population of Bulgaria and Serbia (so-called 'Vlachs') have forgotten their language.
This is a phenomena accelerated in the last 100 years in many countries where ethnic minorities dissapear in the mass of the majority, due to education, state TV and radio in the official language.
Example: Greater Romania after 1918 had 29% ethnic minorities. Today Romania (without Bessarabia, Northern Bukovina and South Dobrudja a.k.a. Cadrilater) has 10,5% minorities (2002 census).
It is a fact that most of German and Jewish minorities of Romania have emigrated to their countries.
Don't forget the origin of most people in northern Dobrudja - which had been part of the Bulgarian kingdom from 681...Also, it is not historically correct to make the statement that all Vlachs are romanian. This is the same as saying all south-slavs are Bulgarian or Serbian...
Old May 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #4350
Stelian

Likes (Received): 1493

Quote:
and they left you alone
Stelian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #4351
Radish2

so I got information by my parents, that the Struma motorway does not have any damage, nor does the Ljulin. So it is one of the best motorways in europe.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #4352
bogdymol
bogdymod

We should throw a party for Struma motorway great success!
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4353
Botev1912

Likes (Received): 575

Quote:
so I got information by my parents, that the Struma motorway does not have any damage, nor does the Ljulin. So it is one of the best motorways in europe.
a road that doesn't have any damage after a weak 5.8 earthquake doesn't mean anything. You know 5.8 is a joke compared to 7 and 8 that happen on the west coast of USA and in Japan
Botev1912 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #4354
Radish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
We should throw a party for Struma motorway great success!
And it should take place at the Mc donald's on the motorway, however with some expensive dinners isntead of Mc Donald's foot.

By the way, the earthquake was 6 on richter scale.
Old May 29th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #4355
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Guys, like I said. Men in Black flashy thingy to Radi so that he can forget all about Struma. We've got the technology.
But what is Strumatic, we have to define what Strumatic is, a word that refers to the experience of driving/travelling on a superior motorway called Struma motorway or to the ultimative psychedelic road experience only possible on brand new roads and most effective when thereīs snow outside so that the shiny crashbarriers shine even more and reflect the snow and the asphalt looks even better. I must think of itīs best definition first. -Radi Click
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #4356
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Let's joy and dance for this mighty success:
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #4357
vectom

Likes (Received): 967

ok, if I'm posting in a wrong thread, move my post and warn me in front of everyone here
also, sorry for English, but lazy to dig out pseudo bulgarian this morning.

anyway, I'm most probably going from Sofia to V.Trnovo this Friday. Going back the same way through Sofia on Sunday/Monday.

I'm not concerned about going there, the route is pretty straightforward.

But I want to go to Sokolski manastir around Gabrovo on Sunday, and continue to Sofia afterwards. I am riding a chopper bike with not so soft tail, so I depend upon weather (wind, rain, above the sea levels, etc). What I generally avoid are fast roads, however, as it's two wheels and easy riding bike, wouldn't mind of a good asphalt and sceneries.

Google Maps suggests three options. One is going back on the road where I came from to V.T., which I would like to avoid. Second and third suggestions all go south to join the motorway Plovdiv - Sofia, and to continue that way. Still, it's a motorway and some 50km longer route than if I take local roads straight west direction of Gabrovo. I have no idea in which state this roads are, and Bing or Google Maps avoid them in their navigation.

Which route do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
vectom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #4358
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Well if you go to Gabrovo, I would suggest then going through Shipka pass on E-85 over the mountain, quite scenery and breathtaking views, and good condition, especially the south side which was completely reconstructed a year or two ago. Then after reaching the valley, don't go to Plovdiv and the motorway, but take E871 toward Sofia. Parts of it also were reconstructed lately. If you have time, visit also Koprivshtitsa (some 10-12 km detour from that route). And when you visit Sokolski monastery, it is good idea to visit also the ethnological and crafts settlement Etara (on the road to the monastery on the outskirts of Gabrovo).
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #4359
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Meanwhile, speaking of motorway, which most of the users here don't wish to avoid, here's a report of the progress on A1 Trakiya LOT2 between Stara Zagora and Nova Zagora:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vankkata View Post

АМ Тракия Лот 2 км237+000 посока запад

АМ Тракия Лот 2 км237+000 посока изток

АМ Тракия Лот 2 км228+178 посока запад

АМ Тракия Лот 2 км228+178 посока изток
надлез Хан Аспарухово-Пшеничево

Old May 30th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #4360
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18774

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectom View Post

But I want to go to Sokolski manastir around Gabrovo on Sunday, and continue to Sofia afterwards. I am riding a chopper bike with not so soft tail, so I depend upon weather (wind, rain, above the sea levels, etc). What I generally avoid are fast roads, however, as it's two wheels and easy riding bike, wouldn't mind of a good asphalt and sceneries.

Google Maps suggests three options. One is going back on the road where I came from to V.T., which I would like to avoid. Second and third suggestions all go south to join the motorway Plovdiv - Sofia, and to continue that way. Still, it's a motorway and some 50km longer route than if I take local roads straight west direction of Gabrovo. I have no idea in which state this roads are, and Bing or Google Maps avoid them in their navigation.

Which route do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
Chilio gave you the best options. Just go via the Shipka pass and then on E871. There are plenty of sites to stop and look at by the road. Like the Shipka monument, on the highest point of the pass, the Shipka memorial church on the south end of the pass... and later on E871 the small historical towns of Kalofer, Karlovo, Sopot... You can also take a short detour to Anevo Kale, close the village of Anevo.
Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia