daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2012, 04:33 PM   #4621
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9157

No new news yet.
Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2012, 04:33 PM   #4622
Malazana

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksmith View Post
What about Svilengrad-Ruse
Come back in 15 years.
Malazana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM   #4623
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

@ gogo3o

A lot of progress lately. if they continue with that speed they will be ready to asphalt the motorway in 3 - 4 months.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #4624
soterman

Likes (Received): 2

Hi everyone! After reading the very interesting information on post #4551, I still need some clarifying in my mind. I plan to entering Bulgaria near Slivengrad, going to Varna, then Plovdiv and then going to Greece again from Svilengrad.

viamichelin and googlemaps (and iGO8) all agree on going from Varna to Plovdiv and exiting to Greece. My biggest problem is the route from the Greek-Bulgarian border to Varna. I would like to drive as much as possibe on the coast of the Black Sea, so please correct me if I make a huge mistake:

Border, E80/A3 Svilengrad, onto 76 to Balgarska Polyana, onto 55 to Topolovgrad, onto 79 near Elhovo, onto E87/9 at Burgas and then north until Varna.

Is there a faster way? Is the road terrible or is it nice tarmac? Any calculation of the time needed? Thank you for your time!
soterman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #4625
TrueBulgarian
Meditate on this, I will

Likes (Received): 2362

The only bad sections are from just after changing to 76 to Hlyabovo, which is around 9 kms, and a small section near Elhovo. I've travelled it personally last year and a plus is that there's very little traffic. Be careful with the police, don't go too much over the speed limits. The rest of the route has been renovated in the last few years. BTW, for all international forumers, feel free to visit this map here. It's being maintained by one of the Bulgarian forumers, while the data has been provided by Bulgarian forumers, so it's pretty reliable. There's a Google Earth version as well, for more details visit this thread on the Bulgarian section.
TrueBulgarian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4626
soterman

Thank you for this, I'll study it right now!
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #4627
mman2012

Likes (Received): 17

Hello again everyone, I plan a trip to Greece soon (from Bucharest), and the route trough Bulgaria starts in Ruse and ends in the South towards Serres (Grece). Here the (known) route via google maps;

My question is where are the issues on this route. Any known places for speed traps, radars, known traffic jams and so on? (I plan to be in Ruse early in the morning, something like 2-3 am)

Thanks!
mman2012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #4628
syst3m

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman2012 View Post
Hello again everyone, I plan a trip to Greece soon (from Bucharest), and the route trough Bulgaria starts in Ruse and ends in the South towards Serres (Grece). Here the (known) route via google maps;

My question is where are the issues on this route. Any known places for speed traps, radars, known traffic jams and so on? (I plan to be in Ruse early in the morning, something like 2-3 am)

Thanks!
Hi, I have done Sofia - Rousse many times so i have a few suggestions for you and redecorated your route.

1. Rousse - Pleven is alright as in your plan, have in mind that the route passes through some villages and there the speed limit is 50 km/h

2. After that your route is wrong. I would suggest following the main road which is Pleven - Dolni Dabnik - Yablanitsa - A2 hemus motorway

3. Do not cross Sofia through its center because you will find there. A lot of traffic jams. I would suggest going through the south ring road which has been renovated recently

4. Go through newly built Lulin Motorway towards Greek border.

And basically that's it. Follow the speed limits. Do not overtake and take high risks. And you should be alright. Check out this map. http://dev.ivanatora.info/roads/ It is about the road condition. Green - good. Red - bad.

And last but not least. Here's my slightly edited version of your route http://goo.gl/maps/ACVUV

Last edited by syst3m; August 6th, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
syst3m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #4629
mman2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by syst3m View Post
Hi, I have done Sofia - Rousse many times so i have a few suggestions for you and redecorated your route.

1. Rousse - Pleven is alright as in your plan, have in mind that the route passes through some villages and there the speed limit is 50 km/h

2. After that your route is wrong. I would suggest following the main road which is Pleven - Dolni Dabnik - Yablanitsa - A2 hemus motorway

3. Do not cross Sofia through its center because you will find there. A lot of traffic jams. I would suggest going through the south ring road which has been renovated recently

4. Go through newly built Lulin Motorway towards Greek border.

And basicly that's it. Follow the speed limits. Do not overtake and take high risks. And you should be alright. Check out this map. http://dev.ivanatora.info/roads/ It is about the road condition. Green - good. Red - bad.

And last but not lease. Here's my slightly edited version of your route http://goo.gl/maps/ACVUV
Great advice, thanks.
Your route was also in my head, just wrong Google maps implementation )
One question: Sofia ring via the south part (like the map) or north? Why is south better (shorter or...)

Thanks again

Last edited by mman2012; August 6th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #4630
syst3m

Hi

In my version of the map the route is going through the south part of the ring road. Which in my opinion is the better route. It is partly renovated with extended lanes.

http://goo.gl/maps/HLuS5 - 33,6 km until the start of lulin motorway

The other variant is going through the north

http://goo.gl/maps/Sp4R8 - 30,3 km ... 3 km shorter but the road conditions are worse.

Also if you want adventures you could cross through center of the city
http://goo.gl/maps/YH1eB - 20,4 km , shortest way, but slowest i think because you have to battle the crazy sofia traffic

Also if you don't like to drive on the lulin motorway you could go through the old road http://goo.gl/maps/Cz3iQ, through Vladia. I do not recommended that ... Not very pleasant to drive on it ...

All of this variants have pro's and con's and until hemus - lulin connection is built ... if i were you ... i would do the first variant .. going through the south ring road and after that through a6 - lulin motorway

Have i safe trip
Old August 6th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #4631
soterman

Hi to everyone again...

I studied your incredible work (http://dev.ivanatora.info/roads/) and I might need your insight on travelling from Varna to Plovdiv.

Would you object to this route: Varna, A2 (Shumen) onto 4 (Targoviste), south to Omyrtag, Kotel, down to Gorno Aleksandrovo, turn west on 6 towards Sliven, turn south for the A4 and travel until Plovdiv.

Is this ok planning or I am travelling in circles;
Old August 7th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #4632
mman2012

Quote:
Hi

In my version of the map the route is going through the south part of the ring road. Which in my opinion is the better route. It is partly renovated with extended lanes.

http://goo.gl/maps/HLuS5 - 33,6 km until the start of lulin motorway

The other variant is going through the north

http://goo.gl/maps/Sp4R8 - 30,3 km ... 3 km shorter but the road conditions are worse.

Also if you want adventures you could cross through center of the city
http://goo.gl/maps/YH1eB - 20,4 km , shortest way, but slowest i think because you have to battle the crazy sofia traffic

Also if you don't like to drive on the lulin motorway you could go through the old road http://goo.gl/maps/Cz3iQ, through Vladia. I do not recommended that ... Not very pleasant to drive on it ...

All of this variants have pro's and con's and until hemus - lulin connection is built ... if i were you ... i would do the first variant .. going through the south ring road and after that through a6 - lulin motorway

Have i safe trip
Again, thanks for all the info
Old August 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #4633
syst3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by soterman View Post
Hi to everyone again...

I studied your incredible work (http://dev.ivanatora.info/roads/) and I might need your insight on travelling from Varna to Plovdiv.

Would you object to this route: Varna, A2 (Shumen) onto 4 (Targoviste), south to Omyrtag, Kotel, down to Gorno Aleksandrovo, turn west on 6 towards Sliven, turn south for the A4 and travel until Plovdiv.

Is this ok planning or I am travelling in circles;
yes , that would be the correct thing to do.

Interesting thing though is that Varna - Burgas (coast route) - A1 - Karnobat - Sliven - A1 - Plovdiv is 15 km shorter than your idea. Maybe a second thought about Varna - Burgas route is that it is going to be really busy cause of the heavy traffic during the summer season. Anyways both ways are fine to go with. I am in favor of yours
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #4634
gogo3o
Bulgaria

Likes (Received): 13448

Quote:
Drivers in Bulgaria Already with Lights On 24/7

Drivers on Bulgarian roads are required to have their lights on during the day too as of Tuesday.

The new legislation, which obliges drivers to have their lights on day and night year-round, came into force after it was promulgated in the State Gazette.

Drivers who do not stick to the rule face fines of BGN 50.

Until now lights had to be kept on during the day only from November 1 to March 1.

At the beginning of November every year the traffic police used to start the so-called "lights on" road checks, issuing tickets to drivers who forgot to turn their lights on and/or chose to ignore the legal amendments, adopted in the summer of 2006.

There was a courtesy period, however, with just warnings given during the first 8 days of the check, which lasted until November 21.

During this period traffic police was also on high alert for drivers with malfunctioning windshield wipers blades and worn-out tires.

The new rule has triggered a wave of protests in Internet forums in Bulgaria, which are overflowing with messages of condemnation.

Drivers believe the new legislation seeks to bring more fines to the budget, force them to buy more petrol and equip the local police with a nice new tool for racketeering.
http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=142079

IMO It's a good amendment in the legislation.
Old August 7th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #4635
soterman

Quote:
yes , that would be the correct thing to do.

Interesting thing though is that Varna - Burgas (coast route) - A1 - Karnobat - Sliven - A1 - Plovdiv is 15 km shorter than your idea. Maybe a second thought about Varna - Burgas route is that it is going to be really busy cause of the heavy traffic during the summer season. Anyways both ways are fine to go with. I am in favor of yours
I saw that too. And maybe via Burgas it might be shorter, but I'd rather see new places. I will report back, thank you again!
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #4636
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Are there any developments concerning the northern tangent of Sofia?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #4637
Somebody902

Likes (Received): 330

I have a question. Why did the Bulgarian Ministry of Transport renovate the southern part of the Sofia Ringroad? It eventually ends up in a crossroads with traffic lights and little room for improvement. Are there any plans regarding this problem or will the northern part of the bypass be upgraded as well?
Somebody902 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #4638
gogo3o
Bulgaria

Likes (Received): 13448

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Are there any developments concerning the northern tangent of Sofia?
Maybe the tender for the Northern Tangent will be announced in the end of 2012 or in the beginning of 2013. It's included for EU funding in this financial period. Here is the latest info (Bulgarian only)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody902 View Post
I have a question. Why did the Bulgarian Ministry of Transport renovate the southern part of the Sofia Ringroad? It eventually ends up in a crossroads with traffic lights and little room for improvement. Are there any plans regarding this problem or will the northern part of the bypass be upgraded as well?
It serves densely populated areas of the city, so it was a priority. The plans are to build the parts from Boyana to Lyulin highway and from Mladost to Trakia highway in the next financial period 2014-2020.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #4639
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

The southern ring road also serves some major commercial areas, and the northern ring road serves... nothing. However I agree the northern ring road or future northern tangent may be better for through traffic until the southern ring road is entirely grade-separated. However it requires major right-of-way acquirement in southwestern Sofia. But I think it needs to be done.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #4640
Chilio
Небостъргачевград

Likes (Received): 9157

Some nice photo report of A5 Lyulin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrej_LJ View Post
АМ Люлин (18.7.2012):

Chilio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia