daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #5021
cassini83

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A 13 kilometer tunnel? Wow!
There's quite a discussion in the bulgarian section about it. Some people are dead set against it due to the high cost of construction and maintenance but at this point it looks like building it is all but certain.
cassini83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #5022
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I believe this tunnel section will not be built very soon, probably everything else will be completed before. Already constructing such tunnel would take at least 5 years for one tube only.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #5023
cassini83

Likes (Received): 1083

The construction process itself will take more than a few years, no doubt about it. Also I'm sure we're going to see strong international involvement in the project because I doubt there's a bulgarian company that has the know-how and the ability of getting the job done all by itself.
cassini83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:53 AM   #5024
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Chinese come to my mind ... at least if you really plan to do all this for just 1 billion.
13 km long twin bore tunnel should cost around 500 million euro (with additional equipment) in not too demanding rock with some normal cost European engineering company.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:08 AM   #5025
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber
Chinese come to my mind ... at least if you really plan to do all this for just 1 billion.
13 km long twin bore tunnel should cost around 500 million euro (with additional equipment) in not too demanding rock with some normal cost European engineering company.
I hope it's not a Chinese company. The quality of their roads is questionable, and a tunnel must be very well built and safe.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #5026
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid View Post
I've just answered you on the Romanian Motorway thread: that is absolutely not true!

We have an ongoing tendering procedure for Fesabilty Study (design!) for the South Motorway Bucharest - Alexandria - Craiova - Drobeta Turnu Severin - Lugoj, out of which Craiova - Lugoj is part of CIV South! So why would you say we're "moving away from CIV South" ?!
I answered you on the same forum. I personally think that nothing will be done on that section in the coming 4 years, from just reading the motorway construction programme of the Gov.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:40 AM   #5027
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12043

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
If everything goes well with the Qatar project, we might see serious development on both CIV and CIX in BG.
What is the situation with the Qatar proposed funding BTW? A success story with such project could be an example for other similar projects.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #5028
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
What is the situation with the Qatar proposed funding BTW? A success story with such project could be an example for other similar projects.
Bulgaria participates with land expropriation and Qatar finances construction. Then the road would be tolled. The type of toll system is still unknown.

Information about traffic, cost, type of highway(motorway or expressway), route, toll collection system would be available in January.
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #5029
i15

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassini83 View Post
There's quite a discussion in the bulgarian section about it. Some people are dead set against it due to the high cost of construction and maintenance but at this point it looks like building it is all but certain.
1bln € for 64 km is not that much. What is AADT on the parallel road number 1? According to google maps, it seems to be high quality road with multilevel junctions, bypasses and some short tunnels.
i15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:45 AM   #5030
PhirgataZFs1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by i15 View Post
1bln € for 64 km is not that much. What is AADT on the parallel road number 1? According to google maps, it seems to be high quality road with multilevel junctions, bypasses and some short tunnels.
21-22 000.
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:51 AM   #5031
gogo3o
Bulgaria

Likes (Received): 13435

It's interesting to be mentioned that an year ago the state founded a new company - National Company for Strategic Infrastructure Projects, with the purpose to manage and build the rest of A2 Hemus, A3 Struma (including the 13km tunnel) and A5 Cherno More. Probably the company was founded because the Road Agency is lacking capacity to manage all these project.

Here is an interview with CEO where he explains about the projects. The main reason to build the 13km tunnel is to protect the environment and the biodiversity in the Kresna Gorge (part of Natura2000). However, lot 3 of A3 Struma will cost ~1 B euro, which is about half of 2014-2020 EU funds allocated for BG transport and probably will mean that other projects will suffer from lack of financing.

Last edited by gogo3o; December 31st, 2012 at 12:24 PM.
gogo3o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 01:56 PM   #5032
PhirgataZFs1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo3o View Post
It's interesting to be mentioned that an year ago the state founded a new company - National Company for Strategic Infrastructure Projects, with the purpose to manage and build the rest of A2 Hemus, A3 Struma (including the 13km tunnel) and A5 Cherno More. Probably the company was founded because the Road Agency is lacking capacity to manage all these project.

Here is an interview with CEO where he explains about the projects. The main reason to build the 13km tunnel is to protect the environment and the biodiversity in the Kresna Gorge (part of Natura2000). However, lot 3 of A3 Struma will cost ~1 B euro, which is about half of 2014-2020 EU funds allocated for BG transport and probably will mean that other projects will suffer from lack of financing.
One small correction - 1B is half the budget for roads.
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:32 PM   #5033
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Are you comparing multi-year construction costs with the annual road budget? Because that's not exactly the right way to put construction costs into context.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2012, 02:49 PM   #5034
gogo3o
Bulgaria

Likes (Received): 13435

Quote:
One small correction - 1B is half the budget for roads.

Are you sure? IMO 2 B will be allocated for transport, not only for roads. I'm judging from the current (2007-2013) budget of the OP Transport.

Old December 31st, 2012, 04:58 PM   #5035
PhirgataZFs1694

Quote:
21-22 000.
This is data published in 2010.

We have data for 22-25 000 published in 2008.
Old December 31st, 2012, 05:25 PM   #5036
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

The project with the tunnel just for the unimportant tiny kresna gorge is so rediculous. the canyon is not high at all and building the motorway without tunnels there would not harm the animals at all. The animals are not suited only in the valley, the valley extents to the left and to the right of the mountain where the snakes and the other animals can be found aswell, some people have wine growing there, so spending that ammount of money for the valley is insane.
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:57 PM   #5037
PhirgataZFs1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
The project with the tunnel just for the unimportant tiny kresna gorge is so rediculous. the canyon is not high at all and building the motorway without tunnels there would not harm the animals at all. The animals are not suited only in the valley, the valley extents to the left and to the right of the mountain where the snakes and the other animals can be found aswell, some people have wine growing there, so spending that ammount of money for the valley is insane.
Strumatic reality always amazes me. You can't say a section that has up to 25k AADT is unimportant. As for the animals, try speaking with ecologists. They blocked fiercely the idea of building the motorway next to Struma river. And what valley are you talking about? Simitli-Krupnik? The 13km tunnel is not there. Its south beneath Mlashevska mountain AFAIK. Besides the EU approved the financing of lot 1 Dolna Dikanya - Dupnitsa only after the parliament tied Bulgaria to building the whole motorway. So building Struma motrway[A3] is now inevitable.

Why are you so much against continuing Struma motorway after Blagoevgrad?

My only concern is that lot 3 Blagoevgrad - Sandanski would have ~16km tunnels out of 64km which would not significantly improve travelling times especially for Kresna gorge.
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:19 PM   #5038
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694

Strumatic reality always amazes me. You can't say a section that has up to 25k AADT is unimportant. As for the animals, try speaking with ecologists. They blocked fiercely the idea of building the motorway next to Struma river. And what valley are you talking about? Simitli-Krupnik? The 13km tunnel is not there. Its south beneath Mlashevska mountain AFAIK. Besides the EU approved the financing of lot 1 Dolna Dikanya - Dupnitsa only after the parliament tied Bulgaria to building the whole motorway. So building Struma motrway[A3] is now inevitable.

Why are you so much against continuing Struma motorway after Blagoevgrad?

My only concern is that lot 3 Blagoevgrad - Sandanski would have ~16km tunnels out of 64km which would not significantly improve travelling times especially for Kresna gorge.
Tunnels have a lower speed limit?
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5039
PhirgataZFs1694

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre diablo View Post
Tunnels have a lower speed limit?
80 vs 90. Although I have heard there are 50 and 60 speedlimits at roadside restaurants and gas stations.

Btw, there are 10versions of routes for passing the gorge. Unfortunately unavailable to general public.
There are three types of routes:
1. Build a 13km tunnel. The variant that was chosen.
2. Expand current road that is next to the river or build the motorway next to it . The ecologist are dead against it.
3. Build the motorway east from the gorge with a series of viaducts and shorter tunnels. It was said this variant was rejected due to chance for ice on the viaducts and costs of winter maintenance.

Last edited by PhirgataZFs1694; January 1st, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old January 1st, 2013, 08:29 PM   #5040
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Is there traffic data available from Bulgarian motorways?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia