daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 28th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #7081
satanism

Likes (Received): 5494

If they manage to make the Kalotina–Dragoman section and a short one on the other side, at Sofia, to connect to the Northen bypass, it will solve the major part of the problem.
6. да управлява велосипед по площите, предназначени за движение само на пешеходци. Тази забрана не се отнася за децата велосипедисти.
satanism no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2016, 11:22 PM   #7082
roaddor
In the brig

Likes (Received): 5490

Agree with my compatriot gogo3o with regards to the overall completion of A3, it may happen the case to some extent with the Greek A1 and the Tempi tunnel. The highway is there and the missing section is constructed afterwards to connect both parts and make one whole. Hope common sense will eventually prevail and a reasonable solution is applied without wasting valuable time in order to finish as much as possible if not all by 2022.

Last edited by roaddor; July 28th, 2016 at 11:34 PM.
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 08:39 PM   #7083
gogo3o
Bulgaria

Likes (Received): 13431

new update
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyvolt View Post

dcr965, gr_kanev, LG_, panchevo, ukraroad liked this post
gogo3o no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:18 PM   #7084
Macio89

Likes (Received): 7

What is make in Ruse that there make traffic jam in Sunday? Some motorway from Friendship daunbe ?

BG_AT liked this post
Macio89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:45 PM   #7085
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macio89 View Post
What is make in Ruse that there make traffic jam in Sunday? Some motorway from Friendship daunbe ?
Holidays I presume. There were plenty of cars at the border crossing in early last Saturday morning.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:03 AM   #7086
roaddor
In the brig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macio89 View Post
It is not only during the weekends, it is a permanent issue. Ruse and Giurgiu should be connected by a new, modern bridge as soon as possible to address the jams there. Moreover, Bulgaria is planning to construct a highway going south from Ruse and crossing the future A2 from Sofia near Veliko Turnovo.

bat_naso, koko_vp, bgdimitrov liked this post

Last edited by roaddor; August 3rd, 2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old August 4th, 2016, 09:04 AM   #7087
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Hi,

I am planning to go to Greece through Romania and Bulgaria. The route is as such: Bratislava - Budapest - Nadlac - Severin - Calafat - Vidin - Montana - Sofija - Promahonas - etc.

Never have I driven in Bulgaria, so I got few questions:
1) are there enough petrol stations between Vidin and Montana?
2) do they accept international MOL or OMV cards?
3) what is the level of traffic, is that route popular in summer season?
4) where can I purchase a vignette? Petrol stations?

Also, if you have any insights I would be very glad. Thank you very much :-)

BG_AT liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 09:40 AM   #7088
satanism

Likes (Received): 5494

I would even now recommend the Serbian route, with a few tweaks, but certain people here might jump on me for that
What days (of the week) are you travelling and where to exactly?

Otherwise, there should be enough petrol stations on the route.There's an OMV in Vidin for sure.We do not have MOL in Bulgaria.
The traffic on the E79 is not extremely heavy but the route is generally slow and sometimes of poor quality.HGVs are also common.
You can buy vignette on petrol stations and most probably on the Toll gates at the bridge.Pay with debit card wherever you can, the exchange rate for euro on petrol stations is quite amusing.
6. да управлява велосипед по площите, предназначени за движение само на пешеходци. Тази забрана не се отнася за децата велосипедисти.

suvi genije liked this post

Last edited by satanism; August 4th, 2016 at 09:46 AM.
satanism no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:20 AM   #7089
gogo3o
Bulgaria

I guess he wants to test the route and maybe to avoid the waiting at non-EU borders.

volodaaaa, as I remember you have posted videos taken by your car recorder. I hope you that you'll post videos of BG roads. Drive safely!

koko_vp, bat_naso liked this post
Old August 4th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #7090
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1749

Thank you very much. I am looking forward. I have driven through Serbia and Macedonia almost 30 times. Looking for some small adventure and also to see some transport highlights (road by Iron Gates, Vidin - Calafat bridge, etc.)

bat_naso, gogo3o liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #7091
Tachi

Likes (Received): 19

[BG] Bulgaria | road infrastructure • Автомагистрали

It's a while ago for me. It's probably not so dense as in Romania, but don't you worry about petrol stations in Bulgaria on this route.
On the way to Greece or back you might want to go over the Iron Gate hydrodam via Negotin (Serbia) - Bregovo to Vidin.
I found it a very scenic route.

It's Ciregău hill, Romania though. Photo was taken in July 2000. No big changes compared with SV (location).

Last edited by Tachi; August 5th, 2016 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Photo added
Tachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #7092
pasadia

Likes (Received): 1934

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
. Looking for some small adventure and also to see some transport highlights (road by Iron Gates, Vidin - Calafat bridge, etc.)
Well, you won't see much from Iron Gate gorge if you go along roumanian DN6: Cransebes - Orsova - Drobeta. I sugest in Orsova to take a detour on DN57 towards Dubova (50 km detour should not be much during holiday). If you like what you see you could make your trip back on serbian bank (as I've heard the views are better from there towards roumanian side).

Tachi, panchevo liked this post
pasadia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #7093
gogo3o
Bulgaria

Cherno More motorway (A5), Zvezditsa viaduct

It definitely needs to be repaired

Towards Varna

tnx to p0ck0 & the Varna drone, aka Morsko Oko (Sea Eye)
More: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1914901&page=8

Luki_SL, 8166UY, koko_vp liked this post
Old August 6th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #7094
gogo3o
Bulgaria

A1 - Sofia ring road, east arc - Northern Bypass - west arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEHL View Post
The east arc is not looking good, signage is also bad. Changing from east arc to Northern Bypass is tricky.
Old August 6th, 2016, 12:00 PM   #7095
Negjana

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo3o View Post
Cherno More motorway (A5), Zvezditsa viaduct
It's the A4 though.
Negjana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #7096
gogo3o
Bulgaria

It's never been A4. Since 2012 A4 is Maritsa motorway.
source
Old August 6th, 2016, 05:52 PM   #7097
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo3o View Post
It's never been A4. Since 2012 A4 is Maritsa motorway.
source
Before 2012, for a while, it was A4. It was never signed as such.

The original numbering was:
Trakia: A1/A4
Hermus: A2
Maritza: A1
Cherno More: A5
Luylin: N/A?
Struma: A6?
That then became this (on paper - other than one sign on Struma, it never existed, AFAICS) some time around 2008:
Trakia: A1
Maritza: A3
Cherno More: A4
Luylin: A5
Struma: A6
Which then in 2012 became what we know today:
Trakia: A1
Maritza: A3
Cherno More: A5
Luylin: A6
Struma: A3
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2016, 08:41 PM   #7098
roaddor
In the brig

Where did you take this info from? Тhe Black Sea highway is a natural continuation of A1 towards Varna and to my knowledge it has always been A5.

A2 is not called Hermus but Hemus, the old Greek name for Stara planina or the Balkan Mountains. Moreover, Luylin should be written as Lyulin but this highway is already part of A3 where it actually belongs.
Old August 7th, 2016, 12:20 AM   #7099
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddor View Post

Where did you take this info from? Тhe Black Sea highway is a natural continuation of A1 towards Varna and to my knowledge it has always been A5.
Always signed as such (because the signs are ancient), but it was officially A4 for three years ending 4 years ago today.

I've found the primary source of the middle set of numbers as you challenged it. (that's optrans p o r t .bg without spaces but SSC is censoring it).

it says:
Стратегическата магистрална мрежа в България е планирана да обхваща шест главни маршрута: A1 Магистрала “Тракия”, A2 Магистрала “Хемус”, A3 Магистрала “Марица”, A4 Магистрала “Черно море”, A5 Магистрала “Люлин”, A6 Магистрала “Струма”.
or, in English (via google translate from 2010 in the place where I refound the source, so don't knock the spellings):
Strategic highway network in Bulgaria is scheduled to covers six
main routes: A1 Motorway "Trakia", A2 highway Hemus ", A3 motorway "Maritza", A4 highway Black Sea ", A5 highway Liulin", A6 motorway
Struma.

There's almost certainly discussion about this short-lived Aug 2009 numbering scheme, or rather its replacement (see here for how we all found it back in 2012)
Quote:
A2 is not called Hermus but Hemus, the old Greek name for Stara planina or the Balkan Mountains. Moreover, Luylin should be written as Lyulin
Oh no, I (having used the numbers instead since 2012 made it both more concrete and sensible) typed the names out wrong when in a rush. What a big problem.
Quote:
but this highway is already part of A3 where it actually belongs.
Is it? It's not such on various sources that keep on top of these things (including this thread) and would have been renumbered since 2012. I agree that would be sensible, but it's only your word on it as far as I can see.

Last edited by sotonsi; August 7th, 2016 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Make clear the link
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 04:07 PM   #7100
roaddor
In the brig

It is possible, I didn't claim the assigning of numbers to the highways with certainty. Sure at definite periods of time in the past, there were different ideas with respect to the numbering and they evolved to the currently known notation. As for A6 being part of A3, it was used as a separate unit for political reasons but they are one whole. Google maps already shows A6 as A3 while OSM keeps it as A6. But this is not the essence, most important is whether one motorway is ready or not. The foreigners travelling in Bulgaria follow the available highways like anywhere else till the point of their existence regardless of the number (Ax) they carry.
Generally speaking, Bulgaria must have two east-west highways (from border/sea to border), crossing each other at Sofia, following afterwards corridors X and VIII respectively and three south-north highways/expressways, one on corridor IV, another on corridor IX and the third is along the Black Sea coast. In addition, there are also several important highway/expressway branches like A4 (Maritsa highway), the expressway Ruse-A2 in direction of Varna and Rila expressway north of Rila mountain. This can be seen on the map below showing the network when completed. There are other main 2x1 lane roads which are omitted for simplicity.

bat_naso liked this post

Last edited by roaddor; August 11th, 2016 at 02:51 PM.

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia