daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1001
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Actually I can't see any pictures of Struma Motorway
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:30 PM   #1002
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaro View Post
Such road construction is on purpose. Under bad weather condition this pavement provides for better cohesion between the tyre and the road surface, as water stays in the lower part of the pavement, among the gravel stones standing above it. Now, it may seem a strange explanation, but I was told so by a guy, who had been engineering roads some time ago. Since I've been driving on Trakia for some 15 years or so, I can assure you that such pavement is much better in case of rain, when aquaplaning may occur on an absolutely smooth road surface, while it may not on such surface. Actually I prefer the old sections of it, as I feel I have a better control of the car under any conditions.
That seems plausible. So you have a better grip, they keep the pavement "rough". Though i haven't seen this kind of situation anywhere else, besides usually bad pavement sections.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #1003
Zaro
Just a freak

Likes (Received): 3130

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
The best asphalt Iīve drien on is the asphalt of the Struma motorway direction Dupnica and the E-79 nationalroad between Dupnica and Dolna Dykania, itīs really amazing asphalt, you drive with 120 and think you drive 40.
I would say that Struma is not a motorway at all, as it lacks signs and marking typical of motorways and the speed limit is set at 90 km/h.

And a section of the road of just 12 km long cannot be called a motorway.
Zaro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #1004
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

So what it is 12 km. Important is that if road match the specification of motorway in particular country
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #1005
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
That seems plausible. So you have a better grip, they keep the pavement "rough". Though i haven't seen this kind of situation anywhere else, besides usually bad pavement sections.
they donīt wanna use it anymore, they now use so smooth pavement that itīs almost slippery to give a great feeling while driving.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #1006
Zaro
Just a freak

Quote:
Yes, the grip is better. I think I have seen such type of roads somewhere in UK some time ago, yet the roughness may have not been that significant. Distance of time also matters - this was almost 10 years ago.
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #1007
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaro View Post
I would say that Struma is not a motorway at all, as it lacks signs and marking typical of motorways and the speed limit is set at 90 km/h.

And a section of the road of just 12 km long cannot be called a motorway.
first it is25 km and second it just has motorway markings and nothing else, go and see an eyedoctor. Or you probably have driven before April 2007 because the border markings at the middle were not made yet.
Old January 10th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #1008
JloKyM

Likes (Received): 11777

Quote:
Actually this pavement is very nice to drive on it.
JloKyM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #1009
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18768

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
Here's a picture of the E85 I've taken last week. After leaving the interchange, it goes dramatically right under Veliko Tarnovo.

Don't have pics from the rest of the trip, but I have to say the Hemus tunnels and viaducts are impressive, and the pavement of the short stretch Struma motorway is really very good. No, the crashbarriers were not shinier than they use to be . The 2-lane roads I've seen (E79) were in good shape and mostly avoided towns - smooth driving except for 60km/h limits at every little junction with a minor road.

Does anyone know why the Struma is speed limited to 90 km/h and is marked as expressway and not motorway? Is it because it is so curvy and steep, or because it is not complete?

Thanks for the photo nitz It's actually 2 tunnels one after another going right under the Old Town of Veliko Tarnovo.

Here some more photos of those tunnels

Here is the view from the other side

Last edited by Turnovec; January 10th, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:24 PM   #1010
Zaro
Just a freak

Quote:
first it is25 km and second it just has motorway markings and nothing else, go and see an eyedoctor. Or you probably have driven before April 2007 because the border markings at the middle were not made yet.
While me seeing an eyedoc may be debatable, you seeing a shrink needs no further discussion.

If the thing called Struma is a motorway, then where the heck are the green signs? Oh, yes, I remember, they were covered in cloth or PE or something else.

And, Radi, poor guy, a motorway needs not only the border markings in the middle but many other things as well, one of which is a sign fixing the speed limit at 120 km/h and not 90km/h.
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #1011
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
******* AWWWESOME!!! See verso and Chris and X-type and Keber, the pavement of the Struma motorway is aktually very good and better than usual and you talk shit that your motorways are way more advanced.
Hang on, he didn't suggest the Struma was better than all other motorways in Europe like you've done....he said, quote: "Struma motorway is really very good"....ok, wonderful! You know how many other roads around the world are "realy, very good"? Like... a kazillion!

And the only one "talking shit that his motorways are way more advanced" is YOU!

He also said that the speed limit drops at interchanges....is that true? That's not what a motorway does, is it?
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #1012
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18768

Guys, i know radi is fun ... but please take it easy on him or just ignore his sometimes childish or angry posts, ok ?

I personally came in this thread to fix a little bit the image of Bulgaria and its road system that radi has been building for some time.

thank you.
Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #1013
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnovec View Post
Guys, i know radi is fun ... but please take it easy on him or just ignore his sometimes childish or angry posts, ok ?

I personally came in this thread to fix a little bit the image of Bulgaria and its road system that radi has been building for some time.

thank you.
Your pix are wonderful...post any more you get.
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #1014
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
He also said that the speed limit drops at interchanges....is that true? That's not what a motorway does, is it?
You misunderstood it. That is on the main road part of E79.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:47 PM   #1015
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Hang on, he didn't suggest the Struma was better than all other motorways in Europe like you've done....he said, quote: "Struma motorway is really very good"....ok, wonderful! You know how many other roads around the world are "realy, very good"? Like... a kazillion!

And the only one "talking shit that his motorways are way more advanced" is YOU!

Canīt you read at all, it is on the twolaned E-79 nationalroad not the Struma motorway, comprenz?

Old January 11th, 2008, 01:07 AM   #1016
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

I can't see anything on that tumbnail you posted...could you please post a full-size picture?
Oh wait...that's not a thumbnail, it's a molecule on the seat of that bus.
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:08 AM   #1017
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Canīt you read at all, it is on the twolaned E-79 nationalroad not the Struma motorway, comprenz?

Pictures like these are ******* annoying. I hate Struma motorway more and more when I see pictures like these. I have yet to see any good pictures of the Struma freeway and it's shiny guardrails.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #1018
radi6404

Itīs a motorway, not a freeway nor Expressway, it is very wide, has middle dividers, has very wide shoulders and as over or underpassing junctions. Just because themainanance team forgot to change the expressway sign doesnīt mean itīs not motorway.
Old January 11th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #1019
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Itīs a motorway, not a freeway nor Expressway, it is very wide, has middle dividers, has very wide shoulders and as over or underpassing junctions. Just because themainanance team forgot to change the expressway sign doesnīt mean itīs not motorway.
I dare you to talk good things about the other motorways in Bulgaria, WITHOUT mentioning Struma.

Just once Radi, can you do that?
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #1020
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Itīs ...not a freeway...
you have to pay toll then?
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags