daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #1201
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Regarding the exit lanes, they do look a little short and sharp, but theoretically (and I was shocked the first time I saw these) some old Autobahnen in Germany are actually MUCH worse (remember the picture with the stop sign?). So I wouldn't immediately disqualify its status as a motorway based on just the exits.

And @radi: you have to realize that there is indeed nothing special about the crash barriers. Shiny or not (that's irrelevant, and I don't see how most pictures in broad daylight can show its shininess anyway), crash barriers are mainly there for their function. For example, I much prefer concrete barriers, even though they don't always look as "nice". While there were arguments here before, I still believe they are safer, and they definitely give a "safer" feeling, because they block the view of oncoming traffic much better, especially the tall walls used in my province in Canada and in some parts of the US (New Jersey, for example). So really, my point is that the crash barriers will not impress anyone.

Otherwise, it looks like a good high quality road. I definitely wish we had such pavement quality on some of the freeways in North America

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #1202
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
could someone comment the pic with the shiny crashbarriers
comment
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #1203
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestic View Post
Maybe some of the pictures create an illusion of an expressway but I believe it is a motorway. However, it's a motorway built in a lower standard than most of the west european ones. Maybe it just complies with lenient, bulgarian standards or maybe it's negligence or costs-cutting. It looks like someone built it not paying attention to details. Details such as the exit lane which is badly shaped.

I'm still very confused about the 90 km/h speed limit though. Now what the hell that means?
Does even this road has a status of a motorway ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #1204
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

There are only a few not important exits which are short, for example thsi exit here image hosted on flickr

is very good, you can take this gentle curve with 150 kilometers per hour. you have also to take in consideration that on the short exits you enter the motorway on the extra lane for the exits which usually is the emergeny lane, so the motorway is 100 precent safely constructed unless drivers make mistakes.

Last edited by radi6404; March 4th, 2008 at 08:47 PM.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #1205
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
There are only a few not important exits which are short, for example thsi exit here image hosted on flickr

is very good, you can take this gentle curve with 150 kilometers per hour. you have also to take in consideration that on the short exits you enter the motorway on the extra lane for the exits which usually is the emergeny lane, so the motorway is 100 precent safely constructed unless drivers make mistakes.
I would't risk my life
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #1206
radi6404

And another great thing is that the asphalt of the exits isn´t smooth but rough in order for the car to stop faster, I felt it myself because a friend was driving half on the exit lane just before an exit.
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:10 PM   #1207
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Meaning, that when you drive 100 km/h, and you take an exit, you can change your suspension, just like riding on the old A4 in Poland, how great!
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #1208
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon Kruijk View Post
Meaning, that when you drive 100 km/h, and you take an exit, you can change your suspension, just like riding on the old A4 in Poland, how great!
No, the asphalt is a bit rougher than normal asphalt but flat, the old A4 in Poland probably has potholes which this motorway ofcourse doesn´t have. It has jsut a bit rougher asphalt which is superb for fast stopping of the car.
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #1209
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Yeah, that's a good thing. Smooth asphalt can be very dangerous, especially on tight curves with high speeds, lik exits, or curves in interchanges.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #1210
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

We counter it with placing a sign "60" or "40" in the exit lane, so if you go fast onto the exit ramp,its your responsibility
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #1211
pmaciej7
Cooperator Veritatis

@ Chris:
a za oknem słonko świeci.
pmaciej7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #1212
TheCat

Quote:
There are only a few not important exits which are short, for example thsi exit here

<picture>

It shows that you haven't driven a car yet It would be dangerous to take that curve even at 80 km/h, and probably at 60 km/h too. This is normal though, as no one exits a motorway at 150 km/h (in many places no one even drives on the motorway at 150 km/h ).
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #1213
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
It shows that you haven't driven a car yet It would be dangerous to take that curve even at 80 km/h, and probably at 60 km/h too. This is normal though, as no one exits a motorway at 150 km/h (in many places no one even drives on the motorway at 150 km/h ).
I think he mean the curve on the motorway itself...it slightly curves.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1214
TheCat

Oh, possibly, but I was confused because before the picture he said: "There are only a few not important exits which are short, for example thsi exit here ...
is very good, you can take this gentle curve with 150 kilometers per hour."
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #1215
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, 150 on the main lanes wouldn't be a problem, but i think that exit looks like 60km/h, which is quite reasonable. Which exit is this exactly?
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #1216
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Oh, possibly, but I was confused because before the picture he said: "There are only a few not important exits which are short, for example thsi exit here ...
is very good, you can take this gentle curve with 150 kilometers per hour."
No, I aktually meant the curve, the curve on the exit BGRS has photographed is very gentle and you can speed in, and will be able to accelerate down with ease on the rougher exit lane asphalt.
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #1217
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That would be suicide. I can tell you, even on the direct ramps within cloverleafs (the outer connecting lanes), above 100 is quite fast. With 150, you would be pushed out of the roadway.
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #1218
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's called "centrifugal force" by the way. Radi, please get your driving license!
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #1219
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
That would be suicide. I can tell you, even on the direct ramps within cloverleafs (the outer connecting lanes), above 100 is quite fast. With 150, you would be pushed out of the roadway.
Hehe yeah I noticed that when he mentioned entering the motorway on the exit lane (or something like that, I didn't quite understand it), he was talking about a typical cloverleaf interchange design.

Technically, cloverleafs aren't a good idea anyway. For example, on Ontario's 400-series highways the standard does not allow cloverleafs, because they create weaving. Freeway-to-regular road interchanges are built using partial-clover-leaf (parclo) interchanges, and freeway-to-freeway can use different types depending on requirements, but never cloverleaf.
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1220
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A decent cloverleaf requires parallel lanes for the weaving process imo. So the through lanes don't get disturbed because of the weaving. The problem with most cloverleafs is, that the weaving lanes are very short, usually no more than 100 - 200 m, which can be difficult to negotiate in heavy traffic. Busy interchanges should better have fly-overs.

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia