daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM   #1461
vlker
VUT Brno in SSC

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
WOW it looks worse than our(czech) D1 - Brno-Praha

According to posted images, bulgaria also appears to be on my list of "must see".
vlker no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #1462
cassini83

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadUser View Post
The roads look pretty OK too.
Many Bulgarians tend to believe that Bulgaria has some of the worst highways. The pictures I posted show you the actual state of the highway between Kostenets and Sofia (60-70km) both the good and bad portion of it. Sometimes I look at them and realize how poorly built and maintained the roads are on this side of the Atlantic are and I've come to appreciate the road infrastructure back in Europe. Whoever decided to use concrete instead of asphalt to build large portions of the interstate highway system deserves to be shot :-) If you guys watch Top Gear on BBC you would know they refer to diesel as Devil's fuel. I'd go a bit further and call concrete devil's paving material.
cassini83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #1463
cassini83

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlker View Post
WOW it looks worse than our(czech) D1 - Brno-Praha
When was the D1 built? I believe that stretch ot Trakiya dates back to the 80s and I doubt it's ever been resurfaced. I don't think that gravel-like coating has ever been used since the late 80s in Bulgaria.
By the way the Czech Republic has always been high on my list of countries to visit. The architecture is simply amazing and you guys seem to be building motorways faster than the Chinese (a bit exaggerated maybe ) so I'm sure I would be up for some nice highway driving if I could only convince my wife not to be scared of the 9 hour transatlantic flight.
Old April 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM   #1464
vlker
VUT Brno in SSC

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
When was the D1 built?
The construction began in 1967 and last stretch between Brno and Praha was opened in 1980. And it's made by concrete and many stretches are not repaved yet.

I have one question..why isn't concrete in use for highways? You probably have veeery hot summer. Then I'm not marveled at the state of yours old highways...
I saw in laboratory what could high temperature+wheel of truck make with asphlat surface and it wasn'ť nice
vlker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #1465
cassini83

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlker View Post
I have one question..why isn't concrete in use for highways? You probably have veeery hot summer.
I live in northern Indiana, close to Chicago. The climate here is very similar to the climate in central Europe and though I've heard of roads "melting" I think the problem is with the the wrong asphalt mix being used for the specific climate as opposed to the asphalt itself. On paper concrete looks better than asphalt. It's a bit more expensive but requires less maintenance and lasts 20-30 years. Unfortunately on practice it seems to be a very difficult material to work with. The road surface is often made with concrete blocks that can become missaligned over time and you can get large gaps between them. They are very expensive to fix and the people responsible for them don't have the option to simply resurface it like they can easily and cheaply do with asphalt so they just do some rough patching. Last but not least - generally the concrete highways are noisier than their asphalt counterparts.
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #1466
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

Didn't you notice that the pics were taken in 2006?Today this part of the motorway is renovated on both ways although the signs need renovation but I heard that this will happen in the following 2-3 years!I think that they will look like the Croatian ones
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #1467
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

[ Actually I am more fond of the signs you guys have now. I like the way the arrow bends 90 degrees more then the German shaped one. (Don` know why though )
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #1468
AUchamps

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post
[ Actually I am more fond of the signs you guys have now. I like the way the arrow bends 90 degrees more then the German shaped one. (Don` know why though )
It's so damn Strumatic that it makes Radi cry with tears of joy on those signs on Struma. He says those are the shiniest signs in the world and anyone that disagrees is a whoreson.
AUchamps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #1469
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
It's so damn Strumatic that it makes Radi cry with tears of joy on those signs on Struma. He says those are the shiniest signs in the world and anyone that disagrees is a whoreson.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:28 PM   #1470
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Hi guys, I am in Germany on vacation this time. On saturday last week I started the journey and my cousin drove me and another cousin to Sofia with a van to the Busstation. This time I made the best Struma motorway pictures evarrrggghhhhhh, only on my pics you will see the etreme quality of the motorway and the left shiny crashbarriers here and there. I will go out now but later I will probably load the pics up, you will really enjoy them.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:01 PM   #1471
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUchamps View Post
yes, especially the yellow signs which indicate transit routes for tracks.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:03 PM   #1472
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
yes, especially the yellow signs which indicate transit routes for tracks.
Pics?
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM   #1473
bgplayer19

Likes (Received): 0

Radi did they put overhead and electric signs on the Struma motorway?I'm really interested !
bgplayer19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #1474
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18774

A couple of interesting clips posted by Nilix in the bulgarian forum. I think they are worth seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilix View Post
Vidin - Calafat bridge over the Danube - part 1

Vidin - Calafat bridge over the Danube - part 2

Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #1475
ionutzyankoo

Indeed interesting vids. 10x Turnovec
ionutzyankoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #1476
Kese

Nice videos. Could you add some maps, deadlines, whatever so that I can see what it is really about? I would appreciate that.
Kese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #1477
Turnovec
-----------

Likes (Received): 18774

@ ionutzyankoo Yous should thank Nilix for finding those videos, not me

@ Kese - check out this wikipage. There is some info and external links about the bridge over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanski View Post

Quote:
ISPA INFORMATION SHEET

Construction of Cross-border, Road/Rail Bridge over the
Danube River at Vidin-Calafat

Description
The project concerns the construction of a combined road and rail bridge over the
Danube River between Vidin (Bulgaria) and Calafat (Romania). In the area of the
planned bridge the river is approximately 1300 metres wide. Depending on the final
design (it is a design-build project), the total length of the bridge and adjoining structures
will be up to 1440 metres in the case of the road, and up to 2480 metres in the case of
rail, with a main span of 180 metres.
The project is located at KM 796 on the Danube River on the route of priority trans-
European Transport Corridor IV. This Corridor is part of the backbone transport
infrastructure network linking South Eastern Europe and Turkey with Central Europe.
The creation of a new fixed link will represent a significant development of Corridor IV
and will provide an improved alternative to the trans-Yugoslav Corridor X for
movements between Central and South Eastern Europe. The Danube River itself is also
designated as a major trans-European Transport Corridor (No. VII).
A formal agreement for the construction of the new bridge at the proposed location was
drawn up between the Governments of Bulgaria and Romania on 5 June 2000 and was
subsequently ratified by the Parliaments of both countries. The project has also been
included in the priority list of the Stability Pact for South Eastern Europe.
The bridge is planned to have a capacity for 2 road lanes in each direction (3.75 m each)
and for one railway track. In addition, there will be a walkway for pedestrians and nonmotorised
traffic (2.5m) on one side and emergency walkway (0.75m) on the other.
The project consists of the following components:
– main bridge structure including approach viaducts (this is the core of the project and
represents almost 2/3 of the investment);
– adjoining infrastructure to link the bridge to existing road and rail networks on the
Bulgarian side of the River;
– cross-border facilities and rehabilitation of some existing infrastructure in Bulgaria
(e.g. railway freight station and passenger station).
Estimated completion date of the measure: 31 December 2009
Objectives
The main objective of the project is to provide a new fixed link over the River Danube on
priority corridor IV to replace the existing inadequate ferry service. This is expected to
facilitate the growth of international and regional traffic and trade between South Eastern
Europe and Turkey and Central Europe. The project will contribute to the development
of the regional transport system and will be the only new bridge over the Danube River
along the 430 Km border between Bulgaria and Romania.
The main objectives of the project can be summarised as follows:
– To further the integration of the Bulgarian road and rail networks with the pan-
European transport networks via the development of transport Corridor IV.
– To cater for the growth in road and rail traffic in Bulgaria and Romania and
facilitate trade and economic development through the improvement of conditions
for international traffic.
– To remove a specific bottleneck in the main network and improve traffic flows in
the direction of Romania and Central Europe.
– To restore a cross-border rail connection between Bulgaria and Romania.
– To further the introduction of EU standards in the transport sector of Bulgaria and
thus generally support the country during the pre-accession period.
– To help generate temporary and permanent employment and give a boost to the
local, regional and national economies.
Economic and social cost-benefit analysis
In the economic and financial analyses, the construction of the bridge and adjoining
infrastructure in both countries is compared with a reference scenario (continued ferry
service). The economic rate of return has been estimated in the central case at around
8.5% and the total benefit/cost ratio around 1.44. The estimated financial rate of return
on total investment costs is around 5.6% (FIRR/C).
The majority of the economic benefits are linked to the time savings for long distance
trucks and other road traffic, reduced rail operating costs and saved costs of ferry
operations. Job creation in both the construction and operational phases represent
additional benefits.
Environmental impact assessment
A Preliminary Environmental Impact Study (PEIS) was carried out as part of the
feasibility study on the project. The PEIS was initiated during autumn 2000 and finalised
in August 2001. Public consultations were held in Vidin and in Calafat. The results of the
study and consultations with the environmental authorities is documented in Decision
No. 9-3/2002 from the Bulgarian Ministry of Environment and Water, which is
formulated as a permit to proceed to the next stage of design and preparation of a final
EIA report. Development consent was issued by Vidin municipality in March 2002.
The final EIA study, which covers the impact of the bridge options as well as adjoining
infrastructure on both the Bulgarian and Romanian sides of the river, was completed in
September 2004.
The Bulgarian Ministry of Environment will issue a statement on the final EIA report.
Following public hearings in Calafat, the Romanian Ministry of Water and
Environmental protection will issue an environment permit. The final Romanian water
management permit for the Romanian part of the river will be issued after submission of
the technical solution for the bridge foundations.
An Environmental Management Plan will be elaborated to ensure the implementation of
measures aimed at mitigating any adverse environmental effects of the project.

Cost and assistance (in €)
Total cost 234 245 036
Private sector contribution -
Non eligible expenditure 8 438 584
Total eligible cost 225 806 452
ISPA grant 70 000 000
Grant rate % 31
Turnovec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #1478
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Romunia doesn't finance anything?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM   #1479
Kese

Thanks, guys.
Kese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #1480
radi6404

Pics of the good Struma motorway from car, they are killargh

Here the crashbarriers are still shiny, after a long time and harsh winter!!!

IHere you can speed and test your car.

shiny signs indicate the end of the Struma motorway

Oh my god, just look here, the markings are so reflective, almost shiny, as if the motorway is an example of how any motorway should be, and it probably is. You can aktually see that the markings are very thick.

beautiful Struma motorway ends beautifully

The beautiful yellow sign.

Last edited by radi6404; May 10th, 2008 at 01:34 PM.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia