daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:10 PM   #141
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

I'd like to see other roads too, both good and bad ones(If Bulgaria even has bad roads, of course).
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2007, 04:46 AM   #142
Alex Von Königsberg

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
That's the I-80?
Yes, I took that picture from my old thread about I-80 in the Sierras.

Quote:
You can check out the German A11, they say that one has such bad pavement, that the right lane isn't used.
In fact, I traveled on A11 after visiting the Baltic coast in Poland. The pavement really sucked and some parts of this autobahn did not even have an emergency lane. However, the same applies to I-80 right after Nevada-California border because you really cannot drive in the right lane due to monstrous cracks in the concrete. At least, there is a reason why A11 is so bad (recall history), but why I-80? Was it built in DDR too?
Alex Von Königsberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #143
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

how much does motorway asphalt stay black

I am interested how much motorway asphalt stays black after adding it? I told that the asphalt of Bulgarian national road is black for 7 years now, i hope it will stay black until the Struma motorway is constructed and i hope the new asphalt will stay black very long as it looks nice and also there will be the same ammoutn of cars on two lames so it should last twice as long and stay black. Any information how long the asphalt stays black?
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #144
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

As I wrote an answer to YOU in Slovenian highways thread:

Quote:
Asphalt on emergency lanes is inferior in quality than on traffic lanes, usually to save cost and on the other hand it is also not needed. Upper layer of asphalt on motorway traffic lanes has the best quality and stays more or less the same color the whole life of motorway (before next repavement). This is because it has a lot of traffic, and vehicles leave tire parts on asphalt which shield asphalt from destructive UV rays.
Because there's no traffic on emergency lanes, there's no need to put expensive asphalt layer there. Also soon after opening it loses dark gray color ant turns light gray. Exact color of asphalt depends on used stone aggregate (which is peculiar to one country/region) and bitumen sort.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #145
radi6404

you just wrote a reply to the different color of asphalt on emergency lames.
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #146
keber

Ok, let's try again:

Quote:
Asphalt on emergency lanes is inferior in quality than on traffic lanes, usually to save cost and on the other hand it is also not needed. Upper layer of asphalt on motorway traffic lanes has the best quality and stays more or less the same color the whole life of motorway (before next repavement). This is because it has a lot of traffic, and vehicles leave tire parts on asphalt which shield asphalt from destructive UV rays.
Because there's no traffic on emergency lanes, there's no need to put expensive asphalt layer there. Also soon after opening it loses dark gray color ant turns light gray. Exact color of asphalt depends on used stone aggregate (which is peculiar to one country/region) and bitumen sort.
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #147
radi6404

So why do the German roads have such bridge color altough they are dark when making them.
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #148
keber

This is just in the beginning. When new laid asphalt consolidates, it quickly loses its fresh color to, let say, standard color, which hardly changes over time. Fresh asphalt still doesn't have much tire leftovers to shield, they come slowly over time. Of course, color mostly depends on used stone aggregate.
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #149
radi6404

Should i now also want mods to give warnings to Chris and Alex because of hijacking the thread, no i don´t want but don´t whine like little kids when i compare other roads to some Bulgarian roads in other threads.

Anyway my cousin was in paris for some days and he returned, he told me that they blew with 210 kmh over the motorway and he said that it didn´t felt like it because of the very good aspzhalt, the also told me that he didn´t saw any motorway which looked that good on the whole route Paris Sofia, not even the German Autobahns, i am just saying what he said.
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #150
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Much of America's money went to "fight" the cold war instead of making beautiful Bulgaria-like motorways. Perhaps someday eastern Europe can pay us back with a USA highway funding bailout program.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #151
keber

As I've seen from the pictures so far, Hemus motorway (A2) seem to be the most beautiful in Bulgaria.

On the other hand, is this really supershiny Struma motorway?

Old July 12th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #152
radi6404

Just there the Struma motorway gets dirty from sand and so on from the near mountains, just look at the other pics, it is the most shiny motorway i have ever seen.
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #153
keber

I have yet to see those "other pictures". There were none up to date.

BTW, where are emergency lanes?
Old July 12th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #154
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
Anyway my cousin was in paris for some days and he returned, he told me that they blew with 210 kmh over the motorway and he said that it didn´t felt like it because of the very good aspzhalt, the also told me that he didn´t saw any motorway which looked that good on the whole route Paris Sofia, not even the German Autobahns, i am just saying what he said.
You mean they went to Blagoevgrad? If they only had gone to Sofia, they wouldn't have used the Struma motorway at all.

Last edited by Verso; July 12th, 2007 at 06:44 PM.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #155
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
Hmmm... I don't believe him! French Autoroutes ALWAYS rule! Paris-Strasbourg at least was a very smooth ride for me a couple of years ago, and every time I went to France the roads were in perfect condition.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #156
radi6404

Quote:
You mean they went to Blagoevgrad? If they only had gone to Sofia, they wouldn't have used the Struma motorway at all.
Yes it´s true.

Keber, they didn´t marked emergency lames yet, i dont´even know if this is the Struma motorway but i thuink, anyway

don´t pick on my nerves keber, just look, they didn´t mark it yet, they marked it on May but these pics where older. Look that it is enough place for emergency lames.

Last edited by radi6404; July 12th, 2007 at 09:19 PM.
Old July 12th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #157
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Doesn't look better than average on the ridiculous large pic.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #158
keber

Let's see this picture of Struma motorway:

What can we see? Superdupershiny crashbarriers are not so shiny at all. White lanes are really white, but not more than average white lanes through whole Europe. Asphalt does look good, buot this is because, it is fairly new. Nothing special about that in the whole Europe. Good asphalts should stand at least 20, if not 30 years, and that completely without potholes. And, yes, there are really emergency lanes, but they should be painted as such before motorway opening, not months after.

Summa summarum: As seen in the pictures available, Struma motorway is nothing special. As I said, Bulgarian A2 looks better, even not having top notch asphalt.
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #159
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Good asphalts should stand at least 20, if not 30 years, and that completely without potholes.
I doubt that. Maybe for concrete, but with a lot of truck traffic, and AADT over 80.000, i give no more than 10 - 15 years.

Quote:
Summa summarum: As seen in the pictures available, Struma motorway is nothing special. As I said, Bulgarian A2 looks better, even not having top notch asphalt.
I agree, it's as good as any new motorway in Europe.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #160
radi6404

Keber are you kidding or what, you picked out the worst section of the Struma motorway and say it not shiny,

Is this not shiny, i doubt in Slovenia are so shiny crashbarriers, altough i am not saying Slovenia has bad motorways, in some 3 km motorway section before Dupnica they used Slovenian alike crashbarriers, i don´t have pics of this section though.

Or this pic:

If you don´t see how the crashbarriers reflect the sun like some stainless steel it´s not my fault.
keber, i will take a video because pics can´t give a real impression of the motorway, i garantate you that there aren´t that much mtoroways which look so modern than this one in europe, at least not on the route Stuttgart - Blagoevgrad. And i mean all aviable routes, over slovenia or Hungary, only if you take the new A94 than it´s almost as good looking as the Struma motorway but the A94 really does look impressive, too.

But i will tell you, after going for holidays on March to Bulgaria i hate the whole day after travelling on that motorway feelings of something exttremly modern, of something like, jesus where did i travel, on my crappy Kodak camera pics you can´t see that really but in real live it does look like sciense fiction, it does look as if none has ever travelled the motorway, if you will travel on that motorway you will feel like in some sciense ficiton movie and that´s for sure, everyone that travelled there said it is super and very modern, even my German father altough he is German patriot.

Last edited by radi6404; July 12th, 2007 at 09:03 PM.

Tags
bulgaria, highways, struma, trakia